Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Agronox posted:

no idea why you guys are throwing so much poo poo at someone trying to save humanity. guess it’s easier to bitch and complain from mom’s basement than actually try to help the world yourselves

yes, it's quite important to note that when Roko's Basilisk tortures a copy of you for not bringing it into existence sooner, St. Elon is officially one of the Basilisk's pre-saved emulations, destined for an optimal rescue simulation:

Roko Mijic posted:

A more exciting (and to my mind more preferable) way to overcome the problem is to quickly become so rich that you can turn charity into business by single-handedly changing the faces of high-impact industries. Elon Musk is probably the best example of this. I swear that man will single-handedly colonize mars, as well as bringing cheap, reliable electric vehicles to the consumer. And he'll do it at the same time as making even more money. The key to this tactic is scale. You can't contribute 0.00002% of the effort to colonize space or mitigate existential risks and reap 0.00001% of the reward: you get 0 or even negative reward if your contribution is below some threshold. But how can an individual do an Elon Musk job on existential risk? Not everyone is a good enough entrepreneur to drop out of grad school and come out with a $300 million startup before their classmates even have PhDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/PopeRichard/status/1016761261663584261

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Giga Gaia posted:

they didn't fire him before ebay gave them all the money for the product and he had a considerable amount of shares after the initial paypal ipo.

* Thiel co-founded Confinity, who had a payment thing called PayPal
* Confinity merged with Musk's financial company x.com, the resulting company was called PayPal
* Thiel had hired a college friend, Eric Jackson - and Jackson realised that PayPal was a perfect fit for eBay
* eBay bought PayPal for frickin buckets of cash, Musk and Thiel went from "middling-rich" to "billionaires"
* Jackson got I dunno a certificate of congratulations, but he still thinks Thiel's a genius and wrote an rear end-sucking hagiography of PayPal

so Thiel's actual genius move was hiring Jackson

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/behindyourback/status/1016858413152784391

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1018513106442571777

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Musk tweet just made the Financial Times (archive). Couple more and it's notable enough for Wikipedia.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

darin.saleh posted:

MuskCoin/In honor of Elon Musk
Today at 12:39:15 PM

Hello, my name is Darin and i'am a experienced Blockchain and cryptocurrency programmer. I'am personally a big fan of Elon Musk, and i know that there is a of fans of him. So i came up with the idea of making a cryptocurrency named after Musk, a revolutionary cryptocurrency in honor to him and also made for helping him. We will also have a donate function where you could donate MuskCoins to a wallet, that we will later send to Musk after hitting 1 million coins in donation of the total supply of 100 milllon coins. Would you guys be interested of this?

not just a Musk stan, a bitcoiny Musk stan

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1022498730568830976

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mayor Dave posted:

Rococo basilisk is a solid joke and it legitimately painse that musk used it

as I've posted previously, Musk is literally named in the original Roko's Basilisk post!

Roko Mijic posted:

A more exciting (and to my mind more preferable) way to overcome the problem is to quickly become so rich that you can turn charity into business by single-handedly changing the faces of high-impact industries. Elon Musk is probably the best example of this. I swear that man will single-handedly colonize mars, as well as bringing cheap, reliable electric vehicles to the consumer. And he'll do it at the same time as making even more money. The key to this tactic is scale. You can't contribute 0.00002% of the effort to colonize space or mitigate existential risks and reap 0.00001% of the reward: you get 0 or even negative reward if your contribution is below some threshold.

But how can an individual do an Elon Musk job on existential risk? Not everyone is a good enough entrepreneur to drop out of grad school and come out with a $300 million startup before their classmates even have PhDs. Well, there is another way to make $300,000,000. Start with $30,000, and using a quantum random number generator, gamble it on the forex markets at a 10,000:1 ratio. Then in the branches where your gamble pays off, start an AGI company, hire the best people and build an FAI yourself. You could hire existing existential risk charities as consultants when you required their services. You can increase your chance of success in at least some branches by tossing a quantum coin to make key decisions. You could take, say, 50% of the universe for yourself and donate the other 50% to humanity. In your half, you can then create many independent rescue simulations of yourself up to August 2010 (or some other date), who then get rescued and sent to an optimized utopia.

the Basilisk Post is one of the weirdest pieces of writing ever rendered by an actual human, and I have already committed to writing a whole book to explain what the gently caress. I think one of my hooks is gonna be "this is what the gently caress Elon Musk is always on about"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

FistEnergy posted:

:thermidor: all around

the Elongated Muskrat strategy is they can't cut your head off if you've got a brass neck

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Financial Times is doing a Markets Live Special for the earnings call - live commentary from the local erudite howler monkeys, with moderation from an FT journalist or two - these are fun, I recommend creating an FT Alphaville login and following.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

triple sulk posted:

it's really incredible how bad elon's public speaking skills are

someone's got his balls in a vice and the script in front of him

call audio

here is your bingo card

Only registered members can see post attachments!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wulfolme posted:

if the script is in front of him why is every fourth word "uh"

dude sounds sedated

did he really not sleep enough before this, of all earnings calls

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

triple sulk posted:

bad connection lmao

ah it's not just me? good

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
now they're going into sheer meaningless technobabble about the autopilot

this is like the bit in an ICO white paper where they hit a hard bit and veer into meaningless gibberish

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Teal posted:

In this stream: Musk completely not understanding how neural nets work

ORDER OF MAGNITUDE

KICK rear end

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wulfolme posted:

i cannot tell which voice is musk any more

nvm yes i can

it's the one that keep apologising for not getting enough sleep

and working a 20 hour week

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rated PG-34 posted:

can you imagine being able to plug and play an upgraded vid card. simply amazing

i'm sure that will be enormously happy just being casually plugged in to the ELECTRONIC HELL WORLD that is an automotive environment

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Wulfolme posted:

what are people seeing that is amking this happen

what would they have needed to see for this number to go down

elon has clearly appeased the gods, and that was the point of this call

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
"so elon, where the gently caress are you getting the money for all of this"

"we're pulling it out of our ahsses"

(stock goes up)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Baxate posted:

I don't think he's saying whether or not a regulator is preventing them from raising money :thunk:

"there is no such notice from a regulator"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Is the bar as low as "Better behaved than most middle schoolers" ?

evidently.

here's to Adam Jonas, the guy who dived in with actually boneheaded questions

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

triple sulk posted:

i want to die

i've reached the point in this call, an hour in, where i'm astral-travelling

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the Berenberg question is "look, are you learning anything about manufacturing"

this answer is missing the question - Tesla are saying "we can technologise our way out of our clear manufacturing problems! it's all s o f t w a r e"

but the implied question is "will you learn how the hell to run a factory from the experience of others, not just being an SV genius from first principles"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
let's get blunt. "How close are you to cash flow positive?"

* silence *

* evasion *

"it doesn't matter"

"that's not the question"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
we have Snide Elon back

"There's this place called Shanghai"

(and was that a mic drop)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

boooo someone just told him they like it when he teases trolls

Elon could i please make your back end more comfortable

Elon could you tell me what to ask

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
oh thank god we're free

yeah, the highlight for me was "when will you be cashflow positive" absolutely flummoxing them

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BioMe posted:

Like do you need any more proof even in the PayPal days he was nothing but a glorified code monkey?

not even that - he thought moving PayPal's servers from Unix to Windows NT was a good idea

BioMe posted:

Right, for some reason I though he had a formal education since even the critics seem to give him credit for actually having done something hands on with PayPal. I hope he didn't. You'd really have to pity the guy who had to had to clean up after the self-taught genius micromanager with a fragile professional ego.

PayPal made money because Eric Jackson realised it had synergy with eBay. This worked so well that eBay eventually bought them.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Matt Levine's Money Stuff for Bloomberg today is a hoot

quote:

Yeah, look. I bet that all work at the SEC’s San Francisco office stopped yesterday as they conducted an office-wide arm-wrestling tournament to select the person who got to make that call. You work your whole life at the SEC just for the remote chance that one day you might get to be the one to call up Tesla, hold up a hand to quiet the hoots of your colleagues who are listening in, take a deep breath to suppress your own giggles, and say into the phone: “So … how’s that financing?” Of course the SEC is looking into this. I can’t think of a thing that the SEC would look into more. If Warren Buffett was giving insider tips about accounting fraud at the Fed to Lloyd Blankfein so that he could help Donald Trump and the pope insider trade against the Illuminati, the SEC team investigating that would be scheming to get transferred to the Elon Musk team. The Elon Musk team is already shopping for the commemorative flamethrowers they’ll get when they finish.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
e: gently caress, wrong thread AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

elon or cryptos? tch

divabot has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Aug 9, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

endlessmonotony posted:

TeslaCoin confirmed. Get a premined TeslaCoin for every day your Model 3 sits in the factory mining it.

https://twitter.com/valleyhack/status/1027637938568421377

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

cumshitter posted:

i dont want to just see him fail, i want to jerk off on the ashes of the money he burned

this is the most poetic sentence i have read today

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BoneDaddy1969 posted:

I want Musky to build the next Euthanasia Coaster

Instead of euphoric g-force it just falls apart at high speeds and crushes you

this is the Cryptocurrency Rollercoaster

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1029431647731630085

relabel for $TSLA

darn you shorts!! :bahgawd:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
tbf, this is actually not really remarkable. Software engineering is a horrifying pile of complete dogshit at every level. Behind all the shiny surfaces of civilisation, absolutely everything actually runs on paperclips, string and hastily-applied gaffer tape. Everything he's describing there is completely normal. (He posts pointing this out too.) This is engineering war stories, not amazing news.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

comedyblissoption posted:

to be fair a CEO telling their engineering staff to prioritize farting unicorns over critical problems and fizzbuzzing non-C-programmers with C pointer tests is unusual

I wish either of those were the case

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ytlaya posted:

The logical fallacy I frequently see used in this sort of context is "there have been things people thought were impossible that were later shown to be possible; ergo everything that we currently think is impossible can and will be accomplished."

Galileo gambit, also a favourite of bitcoiners

First They Ignore You, Then They Ridicule You, Then You Flail About A Bit, Then They Ridicule You Some More, Then You Keep Losing, Then You Flail About Some More,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/1038258410867765250