Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FRINGE posted:

I wish this much internet troll energy went into pulling down Koch or Adelson or something more useful.

despite being colossal fuckers the kochs actually know how to run a business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Joe Rogan is relentlessly enthusiastic and knowledgable about combat sports. He has a child like obsession with chimps and any fact about anything seems to blow his mind.

He seems like he'd be good fun to hang out with

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

orcinus posted:

One more and i'm back to work...
(Read the whole thread.)

https://twitter.com/fud_iv/status/1040323753471868928

me: ok i dunno how big that actually is.
me: is that big?
me: alright so if i concert to square kilometers that’s... five square kilometers. that’s insane.
me: no wait.... 500 square kilometers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Duscat posted:

a square kilometer is a million square meters, so half a square kilometer

still quite respectable

lol yeah i knew i was loving that up

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

it's made of rocket parts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

why yes the galaxy brain genius that i worship was punked by the most obvious 'sike!' maneuver in the world. i still believe he's the smartest man in the world and the only one who can save us

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

poisonpill posted:

Real talk: Tesla by all appearances is recruiting heavily for some high level positions. WTF????

E: Also I guess how crazy would someone have to be to take it? They have to know or suspect that the company is folding in a matter of [inaudible time period], right? Would it be a resume booster to join a billion dollar public company....but THIS one?

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, they've lost like 30 fairly high level people this year

yep. if they DO make any high-profile hires it'll be really telling by who ends up joining. if it's someone who's known for working vulture gigs or a nobody with no relevant experience.... well I'm sure the bazingas will have a perfectly rational explanation for it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

infernal machines posted:

84% percent of model 3s off the line defective, dozens of parking lots filled with unsalable vehicles, pulling office staff to work the sales centers, and email blast invitations to pick a car any car off the lot aren't signs of distress?

a company under competent management would have done things like layoffs, downsizing, restructuring, etc. you know- long term sustainable things

i think that's what agronox meant

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Was Musk actually involved with the development of Paypal in any way? Looking at the Wikipedia, it seems like he was just in some "leadership" role, but people speak about it like he actually wrote the code. Did he actually ever do any of this stuff directly?

i actually worked for paypal for a brief period and got to talk to some old-timers who were there back in the musk days. consensus is that they were glad when was gone

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

gschmidl posted:

Preferring literal vampire Trumpa-Lumpa Thiel to Musk is somehing else.

yeah thiel was a total bastard but at least he wasn't a dipshit

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

are you able to shoot the moon in law? you can’t shoot the moon, i don’t think that’s a thing you can do. has anyone told elon that you can’t do that? this isn’t hearts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

grimes was his shot at battery or maybe murder and the fire was his attempt at arson but even though he was screaming ‘I’m elon musk and lighting this tent on fire to rip off the insurance company’ it somehow didn’t leak to
the press so he’s real pissed that he’s gonna have to be even more blatant

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Stefan Prodan posted:

wait, aren't there a bunch of unpaid internships though? how are those legal then

they’re largely not but lol at the dept of labor actually enforcing it.

how it’s supposed to work is unpaid interns aren’t allowed to contribute to anything material to the day to day operations of a company

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lmao this is so loving obvious

how are they so bad at this jfc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

those boots must be delicious

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

okay now i’m irrationally angry about this dumb gently caress. great

welcome

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dude blocked me for calling him a dead-eyed shill.

lol he blocked me too for asking how elon’s boots taste

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

im depressed lol posted:

i wish i could easily go to 11/2017 of this thread easily without randomly guessing a page number

edit: oh wait lmbo this thread started in 2018.

you'll have to find an older version of the yospos tech bubble thread but believe me when i say we were ragging on him then too

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

we cross into nov. 1st here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3220

don't know where we talked about that aerticle but we definitely did

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

found it- the original tweet to the article has since been deleted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3273#post478430425

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

we only dwell on it for a few posts because musk at that point was just another standard issue silicon valley galaxy-brain and hadn't begun to fully melt down yet

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

BioMe posted:

I'm glad he's imploding mostly self-destructively now, and not just for the schadenfreude. Like back when he had just become a media persona you didn't pay too much attention but just had this silly little hunch that, oh maybe it's pretty weird and creepy to idolize some random rich person who is purposely manipulating their public image and the surrounding cult mentality, and it was pretty defeating too see how many people lack the skepticism to spot the empty promises and PR. But then you had nothing more concrete to point at than that being a sheep is generally bad so you'd be screamed down for being a cynical rear end in a top hat who has probably never done anything to save the world, so you just kind of forgot about the whole thing until this pedo-libel stuff surfaced. Then you laugh and laugh.

yeah i’m tempted to backtrack the old tech bubble thread to see when he hit yospos’s radar but i genuinely cant remember any time he was ever held in high regard. i think at best he was regarded as most rich people were: with a ton of suspicion

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Thomamelas posted:

Just picture the Telsa car carrier. Designed to be as sleek as possible. So much so that the designers have omitted the ladders on the side for the driver to climb up to deal with the cars on top. Instead, dedicated Tesla volunteers sit in those cars ready to drive them off. Imagine a majestic line of them going down the highway until they encounter medium rain. Then dissolving into a mess of carrier parts, soon joined by the parts of the individual Teslas inside. The screams of the Tesla volunteers who are trapped in the wreckage as the falling cars batteries begin to catch fire. But thanks to Tesla's magnificent engineering, the smoke cloud forms a Tesla logo. Then the Elon tweets calling the volunteers sabautours and pedophiles.

said volunteers thank elon for the opportunity but humbly offer a small suggestion for improvement as they're loaded into ambulances on gurneys

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

etalian posted:

Basically the grift continues as long as big money idiots keep on shoving money into the pit and unironically believing things like $4000 a share stock price.

big money has largely abandoned tesla iirc. the institutional investors have mostly sold off tesla and moved elsewhere. most holders are now 'short term' wall st. brokers who rather than looking at long-term profitability are chiefly concerned with day trading ie: how much can they flip this stock for immediate winnings as if this were a roulette wheel.

i doubt they'll be able to pull off additional funding rounds but their stock can remain inflated for quite some time as long as they can keep the fig leaf propped up

however if their finances are as bad as some people are making it out to be that may not be for very long. who knows. we'll see

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

How the gently caress is that even legal, let alone possible?

how the scam was supposed to work is you spend decades slowly defanging all regulatory agencies but never get pushback because the laws you break are subtle and only people who pay very close attention notice that you're ripping people off for pennies/dollars. balance that out so there's always just a little bit of outrage directed at you but never enough to cause any real blowback

and then some dipshit like tesla comes in and starts grabbing everything they can get their hands on

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

orcinus posted:

When you think about it...

In the end, Azelia and Grimes _really did_ lead Musk to his downfall.
*schadenfraude fapping intensifies*

it's the billionaire version of american beauty

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pharohman777 posted:

Now we know what was taking the SEC so long, they were building this inescapable ironclad case to use.

that's typically how the feds work, yeah

it takes a ton of effort to draw their ire but lord help you if that eye of sauron turns your way

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Agronox posted:

Stock is down forty bucks at the moment

it's made of rocket parts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

why is tesla even a loving car and AI company instead of a battery company i dont even loving get it

because they don't make batteries

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

BioMe posted:

yeah it's insane peopel are still this uptight about weed in 2018

i'm enjoying these, thanks

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe he designed a tiny submarine for himself that can navigate the twists and turns of a major SEC fraud investigation

it’s made of rocket parts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

This reads to me like the SEC is flexing their muscles and saying gently caress you to musky and his lawyers, cause they were playing hardball. My guess would be they could still settle but I'm not expert in the field :shrug:

But yeah, we know musk runs the show so there is a decent chance this blows up in his face even more than it already has

i'm pretty sure you can plea at any point up to the day your trial actually starts or probably even during it but the terms get less and less generous as time moves on

if he suddenly sobers up and tries to plea he'll still get an easy deal but it won't be the slap on the wrist he was already offered

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Genderfluent posted:

In conclusion I can’t see Elon being convicted if the above is considered, and he can appeal to the circuit courts or even Supreme Court. The sec is taking great liberties with the law and it certainly isn’t an open and shut case.

idk saying 'funding secured' when he knew it wasn't seems like a pretty deliberate lie to me

i guess the jury will decide :shrug:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

I'm just telling you what the niche DIY EV community has determined on it's own. These are people who want to convert classic cars to electric, often at great expense, instead of buying a new Tesla. Tesla batteries have better energy density and less lifecycle degradation than other OEMs.

This car has 5 Tesla modules in it, and it's not because the people who built it are Musk fanatics.

not gonna lie converting something like a 1970 mustang to use a tesla drivetrain and batteries would be fuckin incredible

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i wonder how many times they filmed that scene before going gently caress it and deciding that one of curry just barely hiding his laugh was good enough

that's like half the point of the red alert series. it's on purpose

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

Check out EV West and also my thread in AI (which I need to update...)

this is fuckin sexy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

got the razer blade stealth when it came out and other than the trackpad being fidgetty, its been real decent.

yeah i was real worried about getting a razor but it’s legit really nice quality. i’ve given up on finding a pc that has a trackpad even close to macs they must have some sort of black magic making that poo poo work

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

cool dance moves posted:

i vaguely remember some tweet saying the feds were possibly going to pull musk's spacex poo poo over him smoking weed since that's a federal no-no. any follow-up on that?

that’s not the cardinal sin of loving with rich people’s money so no- as a rich person he’s safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

did we ever find out what caused that sudden $40 swing at 1:30?