Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

gently caress off musk

https://twitter.com/lilly_wachowski/status/1262104754496339968?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Mr Interweb posted:

at the time, i guess what i was envisioning was something like a subway except more high tech looking and faster (like one japan's bullet trains). so to find out that it's actual a tiny tunnel that only allows one way trips that's only wide enough for ONE CAR is both disappointing to learn and absolutely terrifying that any actual adult human thought this was a smart idea

When one of his incendiary cars bbqs a bunch of nerds in the tube they can just brick up the tunnel entrances and pretend the whole thing never happened.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm ashamed to admit that i was a musk fan in my younger years back around 2016. but i didn't really know much about the dude except that his company made electric cars and was doing something called a 'hyperloop'. it sounded interested at the time, but i'll be honest, i didn't know much about it, even then. today i saw donoteat's video on it, and holy poo poo it's one of the stupidest loving things i've seen

how did it get passed the conceptual stage? :psyduck:

Theres no shame in wanting to believe in a brighter future. The problem is when people are shown proof that Musk is doing and saying stupid things and their response is to double down, every time.

See also: MAGA CHUDs, conspiracy theorists, libertarians, etc...

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Colonel Cancer posted:

Of course nuking mars would work it's almost like you didn't read Red Mars by everyone's favorite commie scifi author.

Infact I think it's a great idea to send Musk and all his biggest fans to Mars on top of a nuke

I really don't understand why people want to terraform Mars in the first place. If anyone lives on Mars (or the Moon) they're going to be doing it underground in order to not die from cancer from all the cosmic rays zipping around. There's no way terraforming Mars is going to give it the thick atmosphere or the giant magnetosphere that protects us here on Earth.

And that's not even taking into account solar radiation or occasional lethal bursts of gamma radiation from space.

Space is an incredibly hostile place for life. It's nothing like any environment here on Earth. Anyone who tries to gloss over that is an idiot or is trying to scam someone

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

pigz posted:

The discipline and sacrifice for community that is needed to make space travel and a theoretical life on mars possible is quite out of graps of Musk and those who support him. The kind of societal control required to live on mars makes fascists look open minded.

Elon's mars 'mission' even if it could overcome the technical limitations would be a disaster on the sociological one.

It's MY RIGHT as a Martian colonist to open this airlock if I want to! <Whooshing noise as all of the breathable air rushes out>

Make... Mars.... great ........... again!...................

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

HiroProtagonist posted:

hey rachel, your beaches and parks are actually de-facto private property too, apparently.

if you don't like it, maybe take it up with Elon Marx or probably more specifically, your system of governance

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Drank and vaped too much so I puked in my party suit. Also I pooped my pants

At least you won’t soil the taxi as you ride home in a pool of your own filth.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Dustcat posted:

or you know any kind of thrust that rotates or accelerates the ship laterally is going to jostle your arm relative to the screen

i dunno how big those forces are though, so maybe they're small enough that it's just mildly annoying, and not something that they have to grab edge of the screen with their other hand to control

I’m sure it’s all been accounted for.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Ol' Musky needs to start work on a weather controller

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 02:38 on May 28, 2020

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Dustcat posted:

or you know any kind of thrust that rotates or accelerates the ship laterally is going to jostle your arm relative to the screen

i dunno how big those forces are though, so maybe they're small enough that it's just mildly annoying, and not something that they have to grab edge of the screen with their other hand to control

Hillary 2020 posted:

I’m sure it’s all been accounted for.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

MSNBC just interviewed someone who said the screens have rails the astronauts hold onto to because of vibrations :laffo: are you loving kidding me

Like I said. Sorted.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/DevinCow/status/1266901514343165952?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

I'm gonna disrupt the whole concept of ice cream cones by inventing a bowl

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

drat now I want a rollie to horrify people with

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

Relying purely on cameras for self-driving means the software under the hood will pretty much need human levels of image recognition and problem solving so congrats on developing a honest to goodness artificial intelligence just to drive car lol

Next step: constructing a Dyson sphere to power a massive planet sized diamond anvil vise to cold press juice at 1000 atm of pressure

Crushed my juice so hard it turned into neutron-degenerate matter. Tastes very similar to Bose-Einstein condensate.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

New battery right after FSD.

So uh, never?

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Sep 22, 2020

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

gschmidl posted:

Yeah but Elon's saving the planet by getting rid of legacy fuels!!!

*launches another 69,105 satellites on 2000 rockets*

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Three Olives posted:

So I just realized that Tesla is now accepting money for the Tesla Model S "Plaid" for delivery in "late 2021". Still waiting for the Tesla Roadster, announced and displayed in 2017 and accepting cash deposits immediately for delivery in 2020, the Tesla Semi announced and displayed and accepting cash deposits immediately in 2017 for delivery in 2019, the Tesla Cybertruck, announced 2019 and accepting cash deposits immediately for delivery 2021 oh, and "Full Self-Driving", which went on sale in 2016, full price, for delivery any day now, still at delivery any day now.

Has there been any company in history allowed to accept so much money in deposits and full price sales for products that don't exist and don't have a real timeline for existing? It's like if Theranos was still around because they managed to delivery a pregnancy and cholesterol test.

It's Star Citizen all over again

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/GerberKawasaki/status/1308763309391269890?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

NoWake posted:

Autonomous driving is going to be the most complex thing we ever ask a computer to do. I have a laptop from 2015 and it can barely run websites in 2020 with all the scripts pages run now. Lol if you think the hardware in your '18 Model S is going to be up to the task of running the FSD you'd paid for when it finally comes out in the year :flipoff:

Tesla: FSD is coming!

Tesla automatic emergency brake test:

https://i.imgur.com/wPz1Ioe.mp4

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1309390263333289986?s=20
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1240754657263144960?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Don't worry, after 2-300 iterations the Tesla AI will learn that it can't drive under trailers and will start driving around them.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Shugojin posted:

that wasn't even the most ridiculous thing on that article lmao

the closest thing to a workable truck though

I'm assuming that underneath there are huge internal gaps between the body panels and the truck body. No way there's enough machinery or body structure inside to need to bulk it out that much.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/_kosmonaut/status/1314957118424768512?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

commando in tophat posted:

God, i hope that is a photoshop

Nope.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Dr. Killjoy posted:

it's seemingly real, but oddly enough I can't find any videos of it in motion, although it clearly has pictures taken at multiple locales

some kind of hosed up SCP

It was pretty much just a show car. It had an articulation joint in the middle and it looks like they split it there and carted the two halves around on flatbed trucks.

https://mikeshouts.com/worlds-longest-stretched-limousine/

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/SneakyDee101/status/1317161408035958784?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Tom Guycot posted:

They already drink all the piss they can in the iss and it's still only ~75% efficient.

I think I remember figuring for a crew of 8 to 12 for the safety margins of duration, they need to truck 50 some tons of water with them, while being as efficient as the iss.

Yeah they probably need to double that to allow for leaks and accidents. The ISS guys can just evacuate to Earth if they run out of water. Mars travellers will die of thirst and / or suicide if they don't have enough water to get there and back again.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

gschmidl posted:

Just drink your own piss and/or mine ice from the asteroid belt. Problem solved!

Fake surprised that Musk hasn't proposed dropping ice asteroids on Mars to solve water supply problems

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
You wouldn’t download a car

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1323435034578178049?s=21

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

etalian posted:

The whole moving to Mars to avoid things like age of consent and regulations will probably end as well as those Goon "moving to the wild" GBS stories.

Best case scenario is where they have to survive by eating potatoes grown in their own excrement. Worst case scenario is a rocket full of desiccated corpses in permanent heliocentric orbit

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Egg Moron posted:

This Mars poo poo is such a laugh

So many problems that just kill the project immediately, how you gonna breathe and not get irradiated and maintain bone density and all that poo poo? Or eat? Or replace the broken poo poo?

Sure Elon, your self driving cars can't negotiate a round-about but you've got the perfect plan for the colonization of a celestial body ready to go in your back pocket!

Love the hubris

Anything you could do on Mars would be much easier to do on the Moon.
Anything you could do on the Moon would be much easier to do in Earth orbit.
Anything you can do in Earth orbit would be much easier to do in any harsh living environment on Earth.

Anyone who says they're going straight to Mars without first establishing a base in Earth orbit and/or the Moon is talking bullshit.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Bear patrol tax! This is an outrage!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

goblin week posted:

Lidar should be pronounced with a short i instead of lie-dar. that’s the extent of my lidar opinions

So Lid-ar rather than Lie-dar or Lee-dar?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Grace Baiting posted:

just deploy directly to the prod mars environment you coward

Not even a blue-green environment, just gently caress it, we'll do it live?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/BhadeliaMD/status/1327609910033588232?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Three Olives posted:

The thing to remember about all of this is Elon is just pissed that he doesn't get to parade around the SpaceX launch today even though even with the rapid test he has a suspected case of COVID-19 and should be in isolation.

Most of us are working from home and minimizing social contact as much as possible without suspected COVID-19 infections and here he is questioning the validity of one of the very few measures we have actually done to mitigate the spread of COVID because he wants to look important and special and is really pissed that NASA won't let him infect the space station.

He should just slap on some sort of plastic suit and parade around the launch site like Dr Evil

https://i.imgur.com/rKoHozs.mp4

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Oopsie.

https://twitter.com/TheRegister/status/1328540987266883585?s=20

Don't buy an old Tesla.

quote:

Some 159,000 Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles built between 2012 and 2018 are at risk, we're told. These all use an infotainment system powered by Nvidia's Tegra 3 system-on-chips that include 8GB of eMMC NAND storage, which is typically found in phones and cheap laptops. The trouble is that these flash chips are wearing out, having hit their program-erase cycle limits, and are unable to reliably store data, causing glitches in operation. The storage controllers can no longer find good working NAND blocks to use, and thus fail.

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Nov 17, 2020

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

BalloonFish posted:

:hai:

And as you said, you could add a zero to the Changli's price and it would still be cheaper than a Chevy Spark and you'd have 10x the budget to improve it in the areas where it's a bit rough and ready.

Hell, for that price - if Musk was serious about Changing The World and using his billions philanthropically - Tesla should be developing, building and distributing what would basically be an EV version of a 90s Honda Civic; Something compact, light, simple, practical, durable, efficient, safe, reliable and long-lived. Not a fragile tech trinket for Stemlords in southern California with computer hardware that literally wears out after a few years and which needs to be perpetually hooked into a corporate server.

Even if you tacked a couple of zeros on to make your everyman electric car you could still do a lot of good. Rednecks would hate you but cities could be cleaner. Not as much glory in designing a boring utilitarian vehicle though.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Well at least grimes got a $90k grant to help fund her art. Lord knows she needs it.

1,800,000 nickels.

Still kills me that public transportation infrastructure is the clear answer but Musk will never admit that because his customers don't wanna risk brushing against a filthy poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
A variation on the same.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1331771426978689024?s=20