Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Telsa board: "Okay, it was a rough weekend. A model S exploded in Shanghai, the refurbished Crew Dragon blew up during a test. We REALLY need to keep Elon from saying something stupid toda..."

Musky: "You can set autopilot to crash into other cars!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Not a single mention of Solar City, the solar roof project, Powerwall, nothing.

The whole Solar City segment of the company is worthless.

Nothing beyond "trial installations" Company gonna die before even one production example is installed.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm not a car-knowing-guy like ol' musky, but maybe it wasn't a good idea to make a $35K car that looks so much like your $100k+ car, that it's hard to tell them apart? And where the basic styling hasn't been changed significantly in seven years, and is really stale by this point?

... Oh and make bumpers that don't fill with crap, and fall off.

MunchE posted:

In hopes of not talking about a loving TV show anymore, Apartheid Clyde posted SUPER RAD renderings of his silver silo in space:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1122824422031646720

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1122829331401601029

Also I never go to his twitter feed but did today in desperate hopes of righting this thread, for gently caress's sake that guy is bad at memes

"Starship on the Moon? How did it get there?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISOBAiYNas

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

In other words Grimes is dumb as hell

GROMS

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Holy cow, I thought the Y was going to be on sale this year.

It's not even going to start production until 2020!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

that was my thought too.

the bazinga response to people complaining about it (because, for example, they couldn't expense mileage the car wasn't recording) was to just make sure you note it on the title forms and registration

"Let's see Elon wriggle out of that blatant lawbreaking!

...Well, never the less!"

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

The fun part is the updated design moves the ssd from a daughter card to the mainboard so the entire thing is useless when it breaks.

Incredible. So every Tesla is going to brick itself in 4ish years?

But still, it's not like the cars drive into hazards on their own.

Or become un-extinguishable infernos for no reason.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

false

the S looks like a boring but servicable luxury sedan

the 3 looks like a dumb duckbill from the front

or an idiot space bubble that's disproportionate to the rest of the car from the side

the rear is ghastly

That purple-red tint on all of the Tesla greenhouses offends me to no end. It always looks like someone with a bad dye job.

Huge all-glass tops are idiotic anyway, especially on a car that at least pretends to be efficient. But I'm a sun-hating mole person, and don't understand why anyone would want more of the angry dayball.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Saw my first Jaguar i-Pace in person. It's not pretty, but it still looks miles better than any Tesla.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

He just hates stalks and buttons and wants a sleek design because he's an idiot and doesn't understand that it's all set up in a way that you can operate your headlights, signals, wipers, stereo, basically anything without needing to stop looking at the road

All parts of the car must be as smooth as his brains.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Tesla stock up today, because of course.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I also forgot that Ol' Musky is absolutely certain we're living in a simulation because he heard the term 'Holographic Universe' once, and watched a couple Star Trek episodes.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ben Murphy posted:

Riding With Death: The Elon Musk story

It stopped being the 70s, that's why we're all in trouble.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Wooooow

https://twitter.com/TiffanyPhoto1/status/1128710116708999173

kalensc posted:

"My fragile frunk structure is whompin' down on yer unprotected fire truck"

Elon Musk! As elusive as Robert Denby!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Love the roof though

The buried lead on that one is that someone actually got their solar roof installed! That's like, what, the fourth one?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

no it was a traditional panel roof which solarcity has been installing for a while (usually with awful financing terms).

the solar shingles are still MIA.

LOL that owns.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

bring back old gbs posted:

lol that it cant just fail to deploy the airbags and kill them through blunt force trauma, the car has to make absolutely sure like the tesla owner were a zombie

By behaving as if you were actually driving the car, it is actually safer than you driving the car!! :downs: rofl that their autonomous AI driving system has been reduced in their legalese to a cruise control system, they absolutely know they are killing people with these things jfc

VERY important for the company, the lawyers, and Bazingas not to call it anything but 'Autopilot' though. Wouldn't want anyone thinking the murderous cruise-control was bad.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
It sounds like a Model 3 might be fun* to autocross!

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-good-perspective-on-the-tesla-model-3-as-a-fun-1834825860

*barring 99.9% chance of catastrophic battery fire.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
It's so crazy, who could have predicted that a car company with no new product might be in toruble?!?!

At least all their existing models compete with one another on price and features!

Or are you going to tell me that's a bad thing too????

... If only someone could have seen this coming!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Tesla can just do like all the other auto makers and slap a ton of discounts and incentives on the hood at their dealers...

Victory Position posted:

I think this thread has brought up the Polestar 2 in the past as well?

Yup!

And the Jaguar i-Pace. And the BMW i3 and i8 if you want out-there designs in cheap and expensive flavors.

And if you want a bargain-basement EV, used Nissan Leaf, Fiat 500e, and the Mitsu imev? Miv? Something? Dirt cheap.

Oh and the Chevy Bolt and Volt, and the Kia/Hyudai EV twins (Kona and Niro? Or Ionic? Can't remember).

Just, there's lots of EV around now, in just about all flavors, and prices.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a YOSPOS goon who spilled after his Tesla NDA was up? I need to find that thread. Good times.

Lambert posted:

Yep, that's dayuum ugly.

It's fine, but looks like someone took a BMW X4 and hit 'Chamfer' instead of 'Fillet'

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Failson posted:

Wasn't there a YOSPOS goon who spilled after his Tesla NDA was up? I need to find that thread. Good times.

It's fine, but looks like someone took a BMW X4 and hit 'Chamfer' instead of 'Fillet'

It was this beautiful goon:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862643&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=62#post487296229

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm just gagging for the hillbillies, tweakers, and assorted car crazies to get bricked teslas for scrap prices.

Going to be some beautiful insanity.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

there’s already a whole scene of people buying the Tesla’s for the motor / batteries and fitting it in other cars and they’re all awesome.

Teal posted:

Tbqh I'd really, really love to get my hands on the motor or a couple, specifically.

Ben Murphy posted:

If they do end up going tits up by 2020, I am absolutely getting a Model 3 and having a LA mod shop chop off the top and make it into a glorified golf cart for me.

I live in a huge golf community but haven't played a single game. That will be my inspiration to take it up.

Googles: "Ford Econoline Tesla Motor"

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

MunchE posted:

High end sports cars, but even then very few have appreciated in value. Maybe the really expensive stuff like a Porsche Carrera GT gaining value after assassinating Paul Walker.

Luxury Sports Sedans in the class Tesla completes in are known for their incredibly rapid and aggressive depreciation. Something tells me a completely proprietary service and support network with an unstable future won't really help that fact. Even if the thing became a weird cult collector's item like a DeLorean that car has nowhere near kept up with inflation. Very few cars appreciate in value ever.

Yeah. I hadn't checked used Model S prices lately, but it looks like low-end versions are already in the 20K range. That's depreciating worse than a Porsche Panamera, which, :drat:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Suuuuure. With global car sales generally, and US car sales specifically, all waaaaay down?

Guffaw!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone relax. Facts are facts

Just want to remind everyone of a few facts:

EVs are the future. And Tesla has a massive lead
Full driving cars are the future. And Tesla has a massive lead
Tesla's has proven to be able to effortlessly raise money. There is more than enough money in silicon valley.
Tesla model 3 was #5 best selling cars in USA in Q4 2018. (After camry, accord, civic, corolla). Only American car company. Thats something to be proud of.
Tesla model 3 was the #5 top selling car in USA. Keep in mind that was before any advertising or true scale of production. This isnt just a fluke. Its just a glimpse into the future.
Tesla is the ONLY american car company that actually manufacturers in america. Thats pretty cool. (For us americans)
Tesla is the ONLY car company that sells "Software". Software is epic profit margins. And thats just starting.
Tesla model 3 has a lower cost of ownership over 5 years compared to the Accord!!
Tesla saves most owners 30+ minutes a week from filling up crappy gas. Thats 26 hours a year. Thats an extra 2 full days a year people get back to their lives from owning a tesla. Over 50 years.... thats a 100 days saved not having to go to gas stations. (This one may not be important to all... but i know i am happy to not have another errand to run)
China and Europe hasnt gone online fully yet. Just wait.
Tesla has proven they can produce 1,000 cars a day. I get that big 100 year old auto makers do that in their sleep.... but the fact that in 18 short years they have created the ability to produce a 1,000 cars a day.... that is a MASSIVE accomplishment. This isnt ketchup bottles or chairs. Its a $50,000 computer wrapped around a car.

This story is just beginning. Those facts are real and should not be ignored. When the Tesla train starts to really get going, the investments they made sitting on their balance sheet will be blips in the rear view mirror. That is just my opinion.

So many outright lies in there.

ELON MUSK: SOFTWARE IS EPIC PROFIT MARGINS

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

i think you're forgetting "safety third"

Well, I mean, it can't be number 1, that's the peepee number.

And number 2 is the poopooo number, so has to be three.

GALACTIVATE!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ben Murphy posted:

Up to $20K at close today.

It's like a drat Stanford Marshmallow test at this point.

Eat the single marshmallow in front of me right now, or wait and get unlimited marshmallows for life later...

May I have some Tesla doom money, Mr. Ben Murphy? I am not a Turkey.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is it time to post the Mont Blanc tunnel disaster again? Sure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_Tunnel#Mont_Blanc_Tunnel_1999_fire

Also Musk is now arguing with actual astronomers and physicists about Starlink and light pollution (they're already crapping over visibility):

https://twitter.com/AstroKatie/status/1132377572170452992

Like, he doesn't understand anything at all (neither does the Bazinga he's replying to):

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1132326965581570048

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Astronomers dunking on Musk is my new favorite thing:

https://twitter.com/DrMRFrancis/status/1132372506155917312?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikamckinnon/status/1132384352971575297?s=19

(Thread good)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

*zooming in on elon's face*

MARGIN CALL! tesla needs car tubes
MARGIN CALL! tesla needs car tubes

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I may have missed this one: Model X that's parked, and off, tries to do a murder:

https://twitter.com/orthereaboot/status/1133426159901958144

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

emgeejay posted:

From their lawyers:

TL;DR: they're blaming the toddler

I mean, I'm willing to believe a Model X buyer might stretch the truth about an accident, but it's pretty hard to swallow that the toddler climbed in the drivers seat, closed the door, put the car in drive, and stomped both pedals enough to run over his Mom.

Aren't Tesla's covered in cameras?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

also, maybe, not ever with the door open under any circumstances

and like, closing the door because you tried to drive it with the door open would also not be the solution

According to the Tesla lawyer, the door closed itself, by design.

Shifty Pony posted:

I can all but assure you that other carmakers thought through the hypothetical of "ok the driver left their wallet/purse in the car and a toddler is crawling around, what happens?"

fun fact: to shift a Tesla into drive you pull down on the shift lever while pressing the brake. there is no latch to hold or special moment to do to unlock the shift lever, just pull down. that lever is conveniently located on the side of the steering column where it could also, hypothetically, act as a useful handhold for a toddler attempting to pull themselves up from the footwell...

Still, love the car.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

For a second I thought an X-Bow but I guess not.

I also got excited at the thought of the car made of tubes.

Musk's latest hype got an hour of positivity before number go down again.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

MunchE posted:

Those actually are shipping and rule. I was thinking more "If we trick around all safety regulations our car will be SUPER EFFICIENT AND CHEAP" which was the pitch for the vaporware Elio that was viral among the car challenged on Reddit etc. for a while

Last mention, it still totally-no-really-we-mean-it-this-time going into production in October.

Which would still put it ahead of the new Tesla roadster (spoiler: neither will exist).

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

A Whole New Whomp

Don't you dare close your eyes!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

zegermans posted:

why didn't they add a "Itanium sales not yet discovered" bar like they do with peak oil graphs

Good old Itanic, never forget, intel, never forget (forgets immediately).

Boingy Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

So, I thought that the entire point of a pickup as opposed to, well, some better vehicle, is very spacious uninterrutped, easily accessible and okay-to-get-filthy-as-poo poo space for very inconveniently sized, shaped and gross cargo.

So, the ability to erase the engine altogether would make it pretty amazingly convenient to shift the entire cabin all the way forward to have lot of uninterrupted space like on

instead of putting on a huge loving engine compartment shpaped frunk-void

Then I realized I'm a loving massive idiot moron and that 90% of trucks sold in US are sold to people who don't need a truck whatsoever

Jeep keeps teasing things like that, but again, marketing doesn't think actual work trucks sell to consumers, so we don't get cool thing like this:

Just sell it already you cowards!