Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind: Don't mind me. I'm just eating all the grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Riders and Wheels.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
I'm sure they'll slight us in such a way as to prickle goon pride and make them our eternal enemies eventually, but for now, let's invite the Wheels to our right-gods only hunting party.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

we're a diplomatic clan, so let's make like the BK Kids Club and add some Wheels to the crew

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Everybody's in!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Minivote's closed.

Edit: one more minivote :argh:

The Sun Bows, who are also afflicted by overabundant deer but more importantly wish to show you up, offer 30 cows. Do you increase your offer?

Yes.
No.

Clan information: The Sun Bows are known for their lush fields. They hate us. We owe them a favor. They sell slaves but don't keep them. They are a Rider clan, and a directly adjacent neighbor clan.

You start off, as one can tell from the text-involving graphic, with one clan that hates you and one that mocks you. The Sun Bows have decided to get an early start on antagonism.

In case you're curious, the clan that Mocks us is the Honey Mane, who are not a direct neighbor. They are known for their aggressive pursuit of trade. They are also a Rider clan.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 14, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress THE SUN BOWS, OFFER 40 COWS :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sun Bows? More like not enough funds bows. Increase our offer!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
increase the offer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pump it up.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
They hate us.
We owe them a favor.
We hate that.

Pump dat fuckin' offer up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress THE SUN BOWS, OFFER 40 COWS :argh:

This. Also, consider this my vote for any subsequent bidding wars. We're winning this thing, gently caress the Sunbows.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

I'm under the impression that most Gloranthan cultures look like dicks to everyone who's not one of them.

I think generally they all have a kind of "gently caress foreigners" mentality. So no matter how liberated and equal they are, there's always a big asterisk that says "except for anyone not exactly like us".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Everybody wants to outdo the Sun Bows and I want to get an actual proper update out tonight. Vote's closed, but feel free to express your opinion of them and their smug crop-having faces.

Edit: The Er-Charkari brought in the largest number of deer, winning the contest. They got 40 cows, as the only number-stated proposal (which sounded like a reasonable bid) suggested.

Clan mood went up (presumably balancing out the mood loss I neglected to report from the event firing in the first place). Two clans now like us that did not before - the Brilliant Hoof, a non-neighbor Rider clan known for avoiding conflict to whom we owe a favor, and the Varn-Rash, a neighbor Wheel clan known for unusual beadwork that owe us a favor.

And inexplicably, the Sun Bows no longer hate us. Maybe they were happy enough making us spend double the cows.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 14, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Parties solve everything.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hooray! We're popular!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The next thing I want to do is reorganize our clan circle, which is totally different from a clan ring. There are 3-4 slots we're likely to keep the same, but the remaining slots matter.

The clan circle is the group of seven pictured nobles at the bottom of pretty much every decision screen that theoretically run the clan, and in practice offer advice to the inscrutable goonmind that votes on the really important decisions. There are several important priorities to keep in mind when selecting our circle, which takes a timestep, and the most important of those priorities is a new development that was not in King of Dragon Pass.

1) In Six Ages, there are seven major families in the clan. If we don't have all families (or rather, all families that have a noble available) represented on the circle, we lose yearly magic and also get events that require you to either spend resources mollifying grumpy clanmembers or lose clan mood. I am going to consider "represent all available families" a hard restriction.

2) It is a good idea to have seven different cults represented. This is a softer restriction - unlike in Dragon Pass, we don't lose yearly magic for imperfect representation. Instead, each unique type of god-botherer increases our Sacred Time expenditure cap for a particular kind of magic, with a few exceptions, and also boosts our ability to interact with their relevant specialty in sacrifices and events. Doubling up on a god is sometimes justifiable, if you have a good reason, usually related to the interaction of priority 1 and priority 3.

3) The most skilled circle member in a particular skill will generally be the one whose skill is tested in relevant situations in clan-wide events - combat and leadership get a bit weird, but it's still a very good idea to have a high leadership chieftain, a circlemember with high combat, and a circlemember with high magic, at minimum. The top skill-haver for each category will/may also provide advice relevant to that skill.

--

Given our current selection of nobles, there are 3-4 nobles I consider essentially mandatory on our circle, 1-2 I have solid suggestions for, and two family-slots that are fairly open. I will go down the list of the first five in order of "I think this is a good idea".

Dalasha, Age 21
Worships: Ekarna, god of trade.
"Our lives would be easier if we did not have to fight the Rams all the time. I am in a position to make that happen."

Questionable recommendation as to why she should stay on the circle aside, Dalasha is literally our only Dasano-family noble right now, which means she's on the circle by default. Fortunately, she's a passable circle member and Ekarna, god of trade, is a good one to have represented. Interestingly, she's only our second best bargainer, but that's fine - we're going to be sending a bargainer out on caravans and whatnot a bunch anyway. She can stay home and help us swindle traveling merchants.

Cherekem, Age 58
Worships: Raven, god of trustworthiness and no shenanigans whatsoever.
"Now I'm where I can do the most good for the clan."

He's our Raven disciple. The goonmind would revolt and choose a new LPer if I kicked him off the circle. He's also our best noble at Lore, which I'm sure will end well.

Dunradin, Age 53
Worships: Hyalor, patron of Riders and god of horses.
"I have only sat on the circle for one year. :geno: "

Best leadership in the clan, best combat in the clan by a fair margin. He'd make a solid chief, but I recommend putting him as warleader because if he doubles up we might not get useful warleader advice from anybody, and that's frequently important.

Lerei, Age 66
Worships: Shaman. She's one of our two shaman nobles. They talk to spirits. They're great, and one of the many, many things that Rams get wrong is insufficiently appreciating their shamans.
"The circle needs someone who will watch out for Wheels."

Best magician. Second best loremaster (after our trusty Raven). One of two shamans. She's pretty great. She's also a little old, but the other shaman is only fifteen years younger.

Endarei, Age 55
Worships: Osara, daughter of Elmal and goddess of ladies who are as good at fighting and/or leading as men.
"I am the best woman to lead the clan."

She's probably right. She's the current chief, has second best leadership after Dunradin, and has a god that's obviously appropriate to chiefship. There's a hypothetical alternative to her in her same family - a priestess of the Cow Goddess of the same age, with the same / very marginally lower leadership, Renowned Food, Very Good Magic, and Combat so low it's not even listed as Fair. The clan might get a little miffed at having a very nonstandard cult in charge and Endarei's leadership may be slightly higher, but it's an option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This leaves two slots open. (Switching Endarei for Sesemara the Cow Lady doesn't change the family or slot calculation at all.)

Erkent Family:

Chardenei, Age 26
Worships: Nyalda the Earth Mother.
"Think of the goats!"

She's one of the fairly rare not-shamans who nevertheless might well have a solid shot at becoming clan magician. Also, having Nyalda represented is pretty handy.

Enala, Age 28
Worships: Inilla, goddess of foraging.
"Our foragers do better when I sit on the clan circle."

Current circle member. She's decent, she'll be handy for wildlands advice and whatnot.

Ulendus, Age 35
Worships: Hyalor.
"I'm happy enough where I am."

Maybe we'll remember he exists when Dunradin dies, but I doubt it.

Karent Family:

Estia, Age 51
Worships: Shaman.
"The clan needs an experienced shaman on the circle to help deal with spirits."

She's right, but Lerei's better. Lerei's also old, though, so Estia may yet get her time in the sun.

Unayka, Age 27
Worships: Nyalda.
"The earth mother should be sitting on the council. I would be happy to represent her."

If we don't pick Chardenei, she's a solid choice.

Yandayla, Age 43
Worships: Erissa, goddess of healing.
"My position on the circle lets me influence the clan so that we avoid unnecessary bloodshed."

Presumably, her enthusiasm for archery is because if you shoot everybody before they reach melee range they'll either leave or be dead. Third best Lore, third best Magic, not old as balls but also not young.

Optional third family note:

If we want Estia as our shaman instead of Lerei, Vurana, our current circlemember Gamari (horse goddess who is literally a horse) disciple, is of Lerei's family and has Excellent Diplomacy, Very Good Leadership, Very Good Combat, and is 69 years of age. Her campaign platform:
"I still hope to see peace with the Rams in my lifetime."

Good luck with that, lady.

--

Vote choices!

1) Do we want our current Osara chieftain Endarei, or the Busenari (cow goddess) option Sesemara?
2) Erkent Family: Chardenei (Nyalda option) or Enala (Inilla option)?
3) Karent Family: Estia (shaman), Unayka (Nyalda), or Yandayla (Erissa)?

A vote for Estia will also be considered a vote for Vurana by implication, since it means rejecting our geriatric better-shaman.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 14, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Osara lady
Goat-obsessed lady
Yandayla, to dodge doubling up on Nyalda

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Osara
Goat
Yandayla

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I should probably clarify before I go to bed / we get too far into voting: the two main reasons one might vote for Estia as our shaman circlemember (no, we're not going to have a circle without a shaman if I can reasonably help it) are A) she's 15 years younger, and B) precisely because Vurana's the (only reasonable) alternative for the better shaman's family.

Also, Vurana's the lady who proposed the Wolf Solution, if that matters to anyone.

Edit:

cheetah7071 posted:

If a vote would lead to doubling up on a god, which is least unlikely in this current scenario, since in the future we'll be mostly doing reorganizations to handle deaths, I'll... probably do something. Probably boot the candidate with the less overwhelming lead, unless we're in an awkward situation like having a really great Elmali chief and also a really great Elmali warleader. Or do a revote on the less overwhelming option.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 14, 2018

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

my dad posted:

Osara
Goat
Yandayla

Yeah, this is as straightforward as it gets.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Write in vote: Switch Endarei for Sesamara, but put Dunradin in charge

Hyalor seems like enough of a Central god for us that we can reasonably get away with that and it makes or overall ring that much more capable.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Prioritize younger age for chance to grow and not die next season.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I want to keep Endarei, and I'm picking Enala for the Erkents just because I think I like Unayka most out of the Karent choices.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Nyaa posted:

Prioritize younger age for chance to grow and not die next season.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

my dad posted:

Osara
Goat
Yandayla

This seems like a decent plan.

EirikaPrime
Jul 10, 2018

cheetah7071 posted:

Osara lady
Goat-obsessed lady

I like this plan.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Do council members get better stat/skill ups? None of the 6 or 7 slot candidates seem great to me so I'm tempted to pick the youngsters so we'll have someone good when the old folks kick the bucket.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sesamara put Dunradin in charge - has the best food!!!!! :siren: Everyone else on the ring is merely good compared to her Renowned.
Chardenei - backup mage. Can we promote her up to shaman somehow?
Unayka - youngster so has longer to develop better skills and the other choices are underwhelming even though this might mean doubling up on a god.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 15, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
1) Orsara for sure
2) THINK OF THE GOATS
3) Yandayla because healings = less deaths = more consistent soldiers

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Osara
Chardenei
Yandayla

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Osara
Chardenei
Yandayla

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Gridlocked posted:

1) Orsara for sure
2) THINK OF THE GOATS

I agree with this. I remember in KoDP Healing magic meant less sick people wich meant more people working the fields. I always thought it was one of the most important magic spenditures.

Edit: Bolding just so my vote doesn't get skipped over:
Endarei
GOATS Lady
Yandayla

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 14, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

1) Orsara for sure
2) THINK OF THE GOATS

Let's go

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Gridlocked posted:

1) Orsara for sure
2) THINK OF THE GOATS

This poo poo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Do council members get better stat/skill ups? None of the 6 or 7 slot candidates seem great to me so I'm tempted to pick the youngsters so we'll have someone good when the old folks kick the bucket.

It feels like they do, but all the manual says is "your leaders slowly improve, particularly in the skill your ancestors showed an affinity for when they first helped the gods." Leaders appears to be the term for all your pickable nobles, circle and not-circle.

I'm adding supplemental notes on what form of magic our options let us spend more of if we have that god represented.

Diplomacy: Ekarna, Hyalor
Exploring: Zarlen
Fields: Nyalda
Harmony: Hyalor
Pastures: Busenari, Gamari, Uryarda
Ritual: Relandar, Shaman
War: Elmal, Osara
Wilds: Dostal, Inilla

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

Write in vote: Switch Endarei for Sesamara, but put Dunradin in charge

Hyalor seems like enough of a Central god for us that we can reasonably get away with that and it makes or overall ring that much more capable.

On reflection this is a perfectly valid option if the goonmind wants to (probably) trade good war advice for good food advice (and the skill boost / cow god boost in events) and is probably a better idea than making her chief. I will lump votes for this into votes for having her as chief and see how it looks if she wins.

LLSix posted:

Chardenei - backup mage. Can we promote her up to shaman somehow?

No, barring some sort of weird stuff I'm unaware of a la Dragon Pass' "whoops my Humakti surrendered to Orlanth and is not a Humakti anymore" - shamanic magic and divine magic are rather different and your choice of primary cult is pretty central to your character.

She'd still be pretty good with spirits, though (just less good than an Excellent magic shaman), and Earth magic has its own perks - it's pretty heavily involved with that whole crops thing, for one.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 14, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Sesemara
Chardenei
Yandayla

White Coke
May 29, 2015
1. Keep current chieftain.
2. Honor the goat.
3. Younger shaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
All those people voting for Osara are actually voting for Endarei, right? I think Osara is the name of the god she worships.