Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

IMJack posted:

Pretty good consensus in the circle. I'd go with a ritual.

Would we then have to turn around and decide between Busenari, Nyalda, or other options?

The fact that different circle members are suggesting different things tells me "probably". As I added to the end of the post, anyone who has an opinion on Busenari vs Nyalda vs Spirits (thanks, Cherekem) vs ??? can add that to their vote and it'll matter if Ritual wins.

Ravenfood posted:

You can do it in your ritual post if you care, I think.

Ritual to Busenari I guess, but I don't particularly care to whom.

Yeah, I don't really think it's worth even a minivote, just package it with your vote or don't.

I'll probably default to Nyalda if there's no clear consensus since we've got us a very competent Nyalda priestess on the circle.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cheetah7071 posted:

do we need to quest to discover that our earth goddess is yinkin's second cousin or something

Clan minor goddess Cayenne Kayin pictured here:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly, from everything other than the game explicitly telling you she's an earth goddess, I'd say she's much more associated with marriage than anything else. I mean it's hardly unusual for earth goddesses to be about marriage too but at least Ernalda could bless your crops. Nyalda's blessings are "Bless Children", "Cooperation", "Crafting", and "Hospitality", which with the possible exception of Crafting are pretty domestic and don't have much direct connection with the earth. Her ritual is about marriage too--the brief summary (which the Blazing Goats already know even if they don't know the details) is "In a darkening world, Nyalda realizes that the survival of her people depends on her finding the best husband. Although Elmal thinks he is winning her, she and her retinue ensure that Nyalda is winning him," again a story about marriage, not the earth.

Some events talk about her as if she's responsible for your crops but from an actual gameplay perspective she's responsible for harmony (both within the clan and between clans), children, marriage, and to a lesser extent wealth. Just a bit of a lore-gameplay mismatch. I'm sure if we pick Nyalda in this event they'll get a crop blessing, even though for our clan in practice Pela is the goddess responsible for our successful harvests,

Nyalda is also the mother of some (all?) of the other Earth-aligned deities.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ritual -> Nyalda

I failed to get a screenshot of the various options (Busenari, Dostal, Erissa, Nyalda, Spirits, I think), but it turns out the ritual was free. No clan mood boost but our relations presumably went up.

Well. Not free, exactly.

Endarei 12, Late Storm Season

I recommend that we do something now that we can't do in Dark. Weather in Storm is a little trickier than in Sea-Fire-Earth, but not a big problem.

- Send an emissary to give gifts to somebody. I'll do a followup vote on this if it wins.
- Seek an alliance with somebody. The only clan with whom this would be virtually guaranteed to work are the Brilliant Hoof, who are not our neighbors.
- Seek a trade route with somebody. We have no exotic goods (usually obtained by searching our clan lands), but our first caravan to a given clan is generally received favorably, they may themselves be seeking trading partners, and we have no trading partners and therefore no annual market.
- Send a caravan to make a one-off trade with somebody. As above, our first caravan is generally received favorably, whether it's for a trade route or a single trade session. We have enough goods and food to trade for herds right now, to my mind.
Specifically, the circle informs me that we are no longer suffering a year-by-year food yield shortage, and we haven't even restored our pastures yet. Note: sending a caravan to every clan of a certain culture increases our trade route cap by 1. Similarly, sending an emissary to every clan of a certain culture increases our alliance cap by 1. Each of these may also make it easier to trade with / befriend that culture.
- Explore our clan lands.
- Write in something else.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 20, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Explore our clan lands.

Reminder to anyone voting that, presumably like in KODP, our clan lands are bigger than you'd think, including lots of wildlands along with the parts we actually live and work on. It'd be more obvious if you could see clan borders, but I'm not sure if that's a UI feature here.

It is! You can click clan names and

uh

i don't know how to show your own borders, but let me go figure it out.

Edit: It does in fact pop up when you start the explore instruction, thought that might be the case.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 19, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

theshim posted:

The Brilliant Hoof would go well with the Blazing Goats, methinks. Seek an alliance.

Raid-related very mild spoiler: The Aryash-Tev are our only non-Rider neighbors, so the Brilliant Hoof would be a good choice if we decide the Aryash-Tev are our designated bludgeonees in the future. They'd be less useful than a direct neighbor for keeping us forewarned on defense, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

turns out I was wrong :doh:

Anyway, trade routes gets us to annual market and maybe we’ll get some before the year ends

It gave us Fields Magic Stress though. :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Explore is very popular, with "and we also like trade routes" being secondary - I may do a 1-2 season update tonight, depending on the Event Gods. I hope I get a Late Storm event, because otherwise I have to handle Sacred Time and also want to start opening things up a little in terms of mechanicsplaining after our first year quasi-tutorial, but I definitely cannot be bothered to do the latter tonight.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 20, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Endarei 12 Late Storm Vote Results

Exploring, hoping for exotic goods.

I don't really want to send our warleader, even if it is part of our clan lands, because Sacred Time is right around the corner and he might run into a storm or somethi-

:mad:

Exploration omen! No interest in raiding this year. Maybe next year.

Endarei 13, Early Sea Season

Launching the one-off Clear Pastures venture. We want it pronto. Also note that Endarei's cow-priestess family member just turned 70 and is officially super-old.

Endarei 13, Late Sea Season

Let's explore again. With the omen and a point in magic, how could we fail to find something useful like exotic trade goods?

:mad: :mad:

Your patrollers have been talking with those of your neighbors, the Tricorn clan. Like you, the Tricorns are Hyalorings, who ride horses, herd cattle and goats, and descend from the people who kept their freedom by fleeing the destruction of the Golden City. Until recently, the Tricorns have shown little interest in you, as either friend or foe. But gradually they have grown more open toward you. An approach to them might bear good fruit.

- Give them cows.
- Throw a feast in their honor.
- Wait until they come to us.
- Give them goods.

- It is they who should petition us for friendship, not the other way around.
Let them come to us.

- Feasts are cheaper than gifts.
Feasts.

- When our people first split from one clan into many, we said, "We must each make it on our own now."
Let them come to us.

- We will come to hideous doom if we bow to those hapless poltroons!
Let them come to us.

- I hear they recently sent an emissary to the louse-ridden Chariot People!
Let them come to us.

- Are we really birds of a feather?
No recommendation.

- Better to be feared than loved.
No recommendation.

The Tricorn are a neighbor Rider clan. They are known for their poverty. Their chief is Venalor. They owe us a favor. They don't sell slaves. They're the duders we helped with the ritual last event.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 20, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Let them come to us.

I was ready to be like FEAST, FEAST but ugh we're really not gonna get anything useful out of these guys.

They might give us a heads up on any raids coming from the north?

cheetah7071 posted:

Do clans who like you do that? For some reason I thought it was only formal allies

It might just be formal allies. Or we could use an alliance slot on these dudes.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 20, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Orlanth in the end also does some attempt to try and fix it even if the effects are still around but damnit he tried.

He hasn't yet, though!

Even for Godplane values of yet, the Lightbringer quest isn't really a thing at this point.

Current vote:

11 for the ring consensus "if they want to buddy up with us they can show it themselves"
7 for party
1 for goods gift

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 21, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Yeah but then he’d kill lowtax

And then the sun would go out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Incidentally, I always hear your posts voiced by Wee-bey.

Sometimes it's a little weird.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Vote's closed.

Tiebreaker:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

nweismuller posted:

How do you interpret the oracles of Yinkin to favor one vote or another?

However I feel like.

They both immediately insisted on a feast.

(if I actually go intending for a response I'll ask Cayenne which option she likes until she meows for at least one, at which point the louder meow that round wins)

Edit:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 21, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Feast.

Although they attended your feast, the Tricorns never truly joined the revelry. You heard some of them say that a gift of cows would have been better.

Still, feasts don't cost all that much food and only 5 herds, and they Like us now.

Endarei 13 Early Fire

Our exploring luck hasn't been amazing, let's see if we can get a trade route out of the Sun Bows. Besides, visiting every Rider clan for both trade and diplomacy in a somewhat timely fashion is a really, really good idea.

Well now they're just asking for it.

Admittedly, they don't like us a whole lot.

Cheetah's volunteered to do a guest combat post so I'll let them cover that. I am not putting generic combat details to a vote ever, because combats are more involved than KoDP, although I may ask for / will accept spontaneous suggestions of general tactical policy. Some interesting in-combat events may be put to a minivote. I am not using magic because we're outnumbering them dramatically on a herd raid and I dislike using magic on individual combats without a real good reason anyway.

This, by the way, is why sureshot's great - many fights you'll choose to start with skirmishing until you're out of arrows. Unlike in Dragon Pass, all of your dudes are at least passable archers.

Casualties and success in battle are somewhat different things, but if one side runs low enough on dudes they lose regardless of how the battle was going before that.

That's a pretty good haul! Herd raiding also helps keep valley opinion of your prowess from degrading toward Mock, although not as much as periodic actual raiding.

Burnpeak emissaries seek your aid hunting bandits. Riders exiled from their home clans have been ambushing traders. They think the bandits maintain a hiding place nearby, making you ideal partners in this effort.

- Help them hunt the bandits.
- Offer to hunt them on your own.
- Aid their efforts magically.
- Decline to assist.

Interesting note: when I closed out of the game to set up this post and went back to ask the advisors what they think, the clan asking for help had changed (from Arrowstone to Burnpeak) and the picture had changed (from this to the diplomacy picture earlier with the Magnificent Horse Hat). It's possible I have found a minor bug in the beta patch or something.

- Elmal trained both his son and his daughter by taking them out to suppress bandits.
Anything but decline.

- The bandits have plundered a number of trade missions.
Anything but decline.

- Are we sure they're not bandits disguised as Burnpeaks?
Decline.

- Most bandits were born in this valley and were exiled from their clans for various offenses.
No recommendation? When we're offered a chance to beat up some dudes with total social sanction?

- We have strong magic now and can call on spirits without much taxing our connection to the shadow world.
Magic.

- It is good to keep a few bandits around, to have someone to blame your crimes on.
Decline.

- If we go by ourselves, we have a better chance of taking the bandits by surprise, winning the fight before it starts.
Go by ourselves.

The magic option may ask us whether we want to do a taxing ritual, or it may just spend / tax magic directly. Either of the combat assistance will let us send all our swords and up to 20 bows if we wish.

The Burnpeak are a non-neighbor Rider clan. known for their fondness for exploring. They fear us because they're the dudes we honor raided.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

I'm thinking this he's just a typical Raven. Orlanthi have tricksters because having someone that ties their balls to a goat is useful. We have Ravens because having a psycho is useful.

One of the two Raven rituals is to steal stuff from another clan.

I've actually never used it, because the Stealth blessing lets all your dudes go steal stuff MULTIPLE times per year.

Ravens are also reasonably powerful shamans, just not as good generalists as your regular shamans.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 22, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wrestlepig posted:

Don't get me wrong, the kingdom of Ignorance kicks rear end, it's the good sort of bullshit

Well now I'm sold.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fight Together is currently winning by 1 vote over Fight Alone.

I want to do a bigger "what does the gooncircle want to prioritize in the immediate future" vote again and finally do a walkthrough of the tabs and set up dynamic information in the OP but don't have a big enough block of time right this moment, so voting's still open until later this afternoon-evening.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Vote closes in half an hour, Fight Alone is leading by one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sudden death it is, next vote wins.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

We're going alone.

Update may take a bit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hunt them on your own.
If we insisted, they replied, they would not say no.

Sent 5 and 5 on the theory that our warleader is pretty great and we don't want to LOSE the fight, especially when he's leading it.

I failed to photograph the event text page and didn't realize until it was too late. Synopsis: We failed to find the bandits and the Burnpeaks no longer fear us.

Endarei 13 Late Earth

Before we have a vote, let's flip through the actual tabs.

The Clan tab gives you some basic information about your clan and lets you reorganize your ring and do your annual ventures. If you have lots of people sick or lots of people wounded the UI will let you know in the notifications on the left, but you might still want to glance at the numbers. Also, clan mood.

The Magic tab lets you access your god sacrifices and spirits, and review your Sacred Time allocation (for things like, say, "I last played this game last Tuesday but was planning to launch a Gods War Ritual).

On the Map tab you can view the surprisingly large map (note that you can't explore all the way to the edge on the outset, you have to explore partway there first) and send out the four kinds of expedition. Exploration will be used way, way more, especially in the early game, but none of them are bereft of value. Not even Forage, which can generate a season or even two of food with some luck.

The Relations tab is the other map-related tab, where you can see the other clans whose location you have discovered, and their approximate relations with you. Light purple > dark purple > pinkish > red for feud. This can be further influenced by favors, fear/mock, like/hate, and possibly other minor factors. From here we send out emissaries to request the repayment of favors / give gifts / propose alliances / demand tribute / resolve feuds.

The war tab summarizes the important non-blessing things about our combat readiness. We can fortify our tula settlement and launch either of the non-honor kinds of raid, and recruit more Swords for a cost in goods.

The wealth tab is my favorite. It covers our important counts of resources. A reasonable minimum is 1 herd-unit (the number of cows, ignore the goat number because it is always exactly 2x cows 50% of the number of goats, ignore the cow number because it is always exactly 50% the number of goats) per person and one horse per adult. We can also check on our treasures. From here we send caravans to establish trade routes, make one-off trades, and buy or sell treasures.

The lore tab lists all the myths we know exist, and annotates the ones we know. It also gives us some supplementary information. Not all the myths we know the details of can be used for heroquesting Gods War Rituals. In fact, currently the only ones we can utilize for that are Dostal and the Snow Elk, and Tablets of Hyalor. Maybe in another year or two we'll run one, or discover another we want to run.

--

It is now Late Earth Season of Endarei's thirteenth year of chieftainship, and our second in the valley. Dark Season comes next, so we'll basically be locked in our clan lands for two turns. Sending a long expedition out in Late Earth doesn't seem to cause too much trouble, even though they'd be traveling / returning in Dark.

We have 1 magic in Exploring and 1 in Diplomacy, and a good exploration omen. Some of the below options may lead to minivotes - where to send a long expedition, who to trade with, that sort of thing.

Clan Priority Vote

- Keep exploring the clan lands.
- Send a longer expedition.
- Send a caravan for a one-off trade.
- Send a caravan to establish routes.
- Activate our Spider or Raven spirit.
Spider reduces disorder, Raven improves our raiders' ability to sneak or steals from another clan.
- Sacrifice for mysteries. We're still missing a few food blessings, all our healing blessings, all non-Protection combat blessings, Zarlen's exploration blessings, and various sundries.

I am deliberately leaving a few options off that are good ideas to do during Dark Season. I am putting mysteries / spirits / local exploration up because the first two are somewhat season-agnostic and the third is still easier in Earth than in Dark.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 24, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

As auspicious as our explorations can be, we need more Swords! That fiasco with the bandits showed us our faults.

While I'm definitely not saying the write-in is wrong, we could only send 5 swords max - we had 3 who didn't attend.

(if I could have sent 8 swords and 2 bows that would have been the choice)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Do what the omens told us to do and explore far away! Are you looking for suggestions on directions to explore or will you just go wherever?

We'll have a minivote on sensible directions ie directions that don't involve crossing a major river if exploring wins, but there's conveniently a map in the update so you can vote for it preemptively if you want.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Current vote:

Long expedition 10
Establish trade routes 7
Recruit Swords 2
Activate Raven 1
Explore the clan lands 1

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There's some stuff I could say but which will come up over the course of the LP so they'd be kinda spoilers now. Even a player familiar with Gloranthan lore is not supposed to know exactly where the Blazing Goats fit into history just yet

Yeah, that's a downside of doing stuff during the Storm Age. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

History doesn't even exist yet, anyway.

That's what the Rams (eventually) say, but we've had history for a good while. Ours goes at least back to the founding of Nivorah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Didn't your clan perfect writing things down? Because if you're just writing things down that didn't happen, you might as well put random squiggles on the page and tell folks that is writing, and only the wise and worthy can understand it.

Relatedly, i bet Garstal's done that at least a time or two.

wiegieman posted:

History "doesn't exist" in the sense that it's impossible to say exactly how may years have passed between certain events, but things did happen in a rough order.

We are on exactly the thirteenth year of Endarei's reign. Checkmate, Orlanthailures. :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Voting closes in an hour and a bit.

Current vote:

Long expedition 10
Establish trade routes 7
Recruit Swords 2
Activate Raven 1
Explore the clan lands 1

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A long expedition wins. By a bit.

All the white bits are places we can explore. All the gray bits are places we can't explore until we explore a white bit within range of them. Attempting to cross a major river (the Oslira or the Black Eel) at this juncture is mildly dumb. There are Major Rituals that will allow for easier/trivial river crossings.

The Imther mountains to the north are, very roughly, the center of the map - if we explore to the southeast, we'll be within striking distance of the southeast map corner. I cannot say a similar thing about the northeast edge of our current exploration. We arrived here from the northwest-ish, but we certainly don't have much if any useful knowledge about it, obviously.

Exploration Direction Options
West
Northwest
North
Northeast
East
Southeast

Any of the options will take us about as far as we can go in that direction to open up as much of the map as possible.. Going West would take us offscreen to where the Oslira River bends northwards.

Other than the mountains and the two major rivers, no geographical features are helpfully labeled for us.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 26, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

There may also be clans we haven't interacted with yet. We know from random advisor stuff (although I don't know if I caught it onscreen) there are unmet Rams south of the Black Eel, for example.

Quasi-civilized (Wheel, Ram, etc) people are more likely to be along the rivers - W, NW, SE.

Conversely, E/NE are particularly unexplored, as far as we're concerned.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 26, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It's magical. The gods of these rivers don't like us or respect us, and we don't know the secrets to tame them yet.

I should actually consider showing it off at some point. After we're stabilized.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

White Coke posted:

South-East towards the edge of the world. Does Glorantha have edges? I've seen maps that depict it as a cube.

Glorantha is absolutely a cube.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

White Coke posted:

Does the sky dome have edges?

Maybe (yes), but if so, they're waaaaay into the infinite sea the cube floats in.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure Riders know little of this, nor is it all that relevant to the game since we're way inland on one of Glorantha's two major continents.

I'd say we know none of this, but we very definitely have some knowledge of the Sunpath, which is both a mythological and vaguely-geographical concept.

The Sun rises in the east, through the approximately physical structure of the Gates of Dawn (which are on an island outside of the cube), and sets in the west, through the Gates of Dusk (which are also on an island outside of the cube).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

C'mon, man. If it could happen in the run that means you don't talk about it.

Yeah - while I was willing to let the thing previous page go this is a bit much. Please fix.

On a brighter note, I have been reminded that I have access to a fairly up to date world map as understood by the greatest minds in Nivorah-That-Was:

Some visual representations may or may not be entirely accurate. Such as the orientation of the Oslira River?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 26, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

It’s behind black bars, is clearly labeled, probably won’t happen and has no bearing on anything so nope.

I disagree empirically with the third factor and Weird poo poo During Heroquests is fun to discover.

Removing the "event happens during heroquest" part would suffice, I think - I'm obviously okay with talking future events that have no obvious direct bearing on Ride Like The Wind storytime.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 27, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

queserasera posted:

We don't know anything about the explorable land other than we can go there and things happen. Does a direction really matter at this point? I mean, after we figure out where things are, like with the King of Dragon's Pass LP where certain directions meant distinct encounters, we might as well throw a dart.

I was torn on this but managed to give a few minor differentiation factors. May as well let the thread feel engaged in the dart throwing. :v: Also, eventually posted the Lore map.

I'll update sometime tonight.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I left my tablet at home today. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Update going up.