Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So if I'm looking for jewelry/tools I always use my local pawn shop. They get stuff for a massive markdown and are very happy to haggle with you to get stuff out the door. Tell us about good deals you've made at pawn shops and/or tell us how you successfully haggle.

My most recent purchases:

Rotary impact drill - 60$ (300$ new)

Rotary impact hammer - 150$ (400$ new)

Electric nail gun with batteries and charger - 120$ (200$ new)

Diamond ring - 400$ (1200$ new)

I usually start out by asking if it was bought, or pawned. If it was pawned, and the person never bothered to come get it, it means the owner has less money in it and may be willing to make a better deal.

I also try and bring cash. Cash right then and there will usually win out when you try and get a good deal.

Also, PS4/xbox games are super cheap there (and bluerays are 3$ each).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I feel like a vulture picking up some poor bastard's ps3 he hocked for a hamilton

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I feel like a vulture picking up some poor bastard's ps3 he hocked for a hamilton

That's too much for a PS3. :colbert:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Got this forums account and an inline sander

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
OP have you tried telling them you don't know much about the item you are buying but your buddy knows all about it, then you call them over and have them tell the owner it's actually worth 20% of the listing price? Like a reverse pawn stars method.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

OP have you tried telling them you don't know much about the item you are buying but your buddy knows all about it, then you call them over and have them tell the owner it's actually worth 20% of the listing price? Like a reverse pawn stars method.

Nah, I work on poo poo so I usually go in there with a specific tool in mind (and knowing what it's worth/what I'm willing to pay).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i once found a complete copy of Axis and Allies for $5

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Around 2010-2013 I built up a ridiculously large physical media collection from pawn shops. Lot of blu rays and video games. Had 100+ Xbox 360 games I never played but bought because they were such a “bargain!”

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
i have a 55 gallon drum in my basement full of silver scrap.

bad things happen there

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kuato posted:

Around 2010-2013 I built up a ridiculously large physical media collection from pawn shops. Lot of blu rays and video games. Had 100+ Xbox 360 games I never played but bought because they were such a “bargain!”

oh yeah i have a big stack of such PS3 games i picked up from the pawn shop. all the best games on PS3 for like $3 a piece. i never play them of course

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kuato posted:

My kids think xbox 360 games are awesome. I'm saving money by keeping them a few tech generations behind whatever is current.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I've found the best way to amass a sweet tool collection is to have your rad grandpa die suddenly.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess the closest thing to a pawn shop was a used video game store where I got a very good condition indiana jones NES game (forget which one) for 10 dollars instead of 24.99. I also got a few of those lovely wisdom tree bible games for like 2 dollars each because I heard they were pretty rare. I thought that was a good deal but as I found out later when I considered selling my collection apparently nobody wants a bunch of christian video games no matter how rare they are.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
i like being the lowest common monitor

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I picked up a mid 70s Dunlop Crybaby wah at my pawn shop for $30, cleaned it up and flipped it on Reverb for $450.

Another time I went in and they had two radar detectors for $200 a piece, so I talked them down to $350 cash for both without really knowing what they were. One turned out to be a Passport Max 2 worth about $900 at the time and I don't remember what the other one was but I flipped it for $350 on eBay and kept the Max 2. So I basically got a $900 radar detector for free and I still use it because gently caress the police.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Also, PS4/xbox games are super cheap there (and bluerays are 3$ each).

Cool you are paying infinitely more than I am for these things while also failing to support the copyright holders

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i got a free copy of hope floats on divx

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

spacetoaster posted:

Rotary impact drill - 60$ (300$ new)

Rotary impact hammer - 150$ (400$ new)

Electric nail gun with batteries and charger - 120$ (200$ new)

Diamond ring - 400$ (1200$ new)
So you're gonna propose, and if she says no you're gonna impact hammer her to death and then use the nail gun to seal her coffin? You sick gently caress.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i got a sick 18" heavy crash cymbal for $50 once but it was like a decade ago and its all cracked and hosed up now. It still sounds better than any cymbal i ever owned

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fleetwood Crack posted:

So you're gonna propose, and if she says no you're gonna impact hammer her to death and then use the nail gun to seal her coffin? You sick gently caress.

I think he's just ready to build a house for the first woman who agrees to marry him

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Devils Affricate posted:

I think he's just ready to build a house for the first woman who agrees to marry him
aww, that's sweet and impressive!!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

After my parents divorced on his weekends my dad would take us to the pawn shop and let us pick out loose CDs for a buck each. I got so much music that way, it was super cool and the only way our poor asses was going to get a decent selection of CDs.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

All those tools are stolen hth

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just buy guns. I go in, find something marked at about $450. I then open my wallet at the owner and dump out 3 one hundred dollar bills. Pawnbrokers can't resist the allure of cash. I also walked in one day and said, "I have a hundred dollar bill. Sell me a .22 rifle." Nice old Remington with real wood on it. I like my local pawn guy.

The only bad part about pawn shops around here is there's always old dudes sittin' around talking politics and judging my gun purchases. It's like, George I don't give a gently caress what you think about revolvers or liberals.

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Hell yeah

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Ralph Crammed In posted:

After my parents divorced on his weekends my dad would take us to the pawn shop and let us pick out loose CDs for a buck each. I got so much music that way, it was super cool and the only way our poor asses was going to get a decent selection of CDs.

Prolly 20 years ago I bought Transistor by 311 from a pawn shop and it was fake sealed with plastic and when I opened the case it was a demo disc for Lucas' Lucas with the Lid Off

I think I came out ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5zaDZq0sc

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 10, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Untrustable posted:

I just buy guns. I go in, find something marked at about $450. I then open my wallet at the owner and dump out 3 one hundred dollar bills. Pawnbrokers can't resist the allure of cash. I also walked in one day and said, "I have a hundred dollar bill. Sell me a .22 rifle." Nice old Remington with real wood on it. I like my local pawn guy.

The only bad part about pawn shops around here is there's always old dudes sittin' around talking politics and judging my gun purchases. It's like, George I don't give a gently caress what you think about revolvers or liberals.

I like the cut of your jib.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Almost everything I own is from pawn/thrift stores/yard sales.
This very monitor was 20 bucks at my favorite stolen goods broker.

Untrustable posted:

I bought a Ruger MK 3 for 100 bucks once and the previous owner had literally never cleaned it.
He didn't know you had to clean your guns and I had to let it sit in a BOWL of rubbing alcohol for a hour.
I do not purchase firearms from pawnshops anymore. Especially since 90% of them are abused Glocks and the dingus pawn broker is a dick about letting me inspect them beforehand.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
The idea of selling your tools bc your desperate for money is really depressing. I think I rather assume they were stolen.

"Hmm, I need a slight amount of money. I better sell the things that I use to make money for it."

-an idiot.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Rad-daddio posted:

The idea of selling your tools bc your desperate for money is really depressing. I think I rather assume they were stolen.

"Hmm, I need a slight amount of money. I better sell the things that I use to make money for it."

-an idiot.

FYI - Often people have tools, and indeed other things that are not directly linked to their job.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fist4jesus posted:

FYI - Often people have tools, and indeed other things that are not directly linked to their job.

Yeah and just because they have them doesn't mean they use them more than once a year or more. My dad has an entire shed full of tools that I don't think have been touched in years unless you count the lawnmower. He stopped changing his own oil and doing work on his car because of his back so they just gather dust and I could easily see him pawning them and not suffering any inconvenience aside from having an empty looking garage+shed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Handen posted:

I picked up a mid 70s Dunlop Crybaby wah at my pawn shop for $30, cleaned it up and flipped it on Reverb for $450.

Another time I went in and they had two radar detectors for $200 a piece, so I talked them down to $350 cash for both without really knowing what they were. One turned out to be a Passport Max 2 worth about $900 at the time and I don't remember what the other one was but I flipped it for $350 on eBay and kept the Max 2. So I basically got a $900 radar detector for free and I still use it because gently caress the police.

That's pretty awesome. I don't know anything about radar detectors though. Cops don't really write up dudes with disabled vet tags.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

lol. She's a nurse and has to wear gloves. We picked out a ring that had the diamonds set into it (nothing sticking up).

Former DILF posted:

i got a sick 18" heavy crash cymbal for $50 once but it was like a decade ago and its all cracked and hosed up now. It still sounds better than any cymbal i ever owned

I totally forgot, yeah, they can be great places to snag musical instruments too.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Pawnshops report everything they take in through police database systems like leadsonline or BWIrapid.

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Almost everything I own is from pawn/thrift stores/yard sales.
This very monitor was 20 bucks at my favorite stolen goods broker.

This is very smart.

Rad-daddio posted:

-an idiot.

That rotary hammer I got super cheap had a damaged power cord (was detaching from the tool) and I had a local electronics guy fix it for 10bux). I'd say most of the big ticket tools are just guys getting some cash for an almost worn out/damaged tool.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Pawnshops report everything they take in through police database systems like leadsonline or BWIrapid.

what possible incentive do they have to do this? oh ok i'll report all of the tools i take in so that maybe i get to return some stolen goods and lose my entire profit.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Got some console controllers at pawn shops pretty cheap over the years. Too bad same-living-room multiplayer games basically went extinct.

E- also, not exactly a pawn shop find but Levi's jeans. I swear people hoard the things, and occasionally a big deposit unearths at the thrift store.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 10, 2018

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I went into a pawn shop a few years ago that consisted of a plump, scruffy old dude sitting on a stool surrounded by massive piles of boxes and shelves full of dusty garbage. my girlfriend at the time and I for some reason decided not to turn around and leave immediately upon seeing this.

walking past cardboard boxes full of records and shelves that looked like the electronics section of a goodwill, I managed to find my way to a rack with some PS2 games on it, which had a sign attached that read "$5 EACH". there was a mint copy of NBA Street Vol. 2 among the maddens, so obviously I grabbed that and brought it to the front to buy.

There wasn't a counter or anything so I just handed it to the dude on the stool and he was like, "seven dollars."

"but the sign on the shelf says five...?"

he exploded, "I'D BE LOSING MONEY IF I GAVE IT TO YOU AT THAT PRICE!"

he proceeded to fling the game case like a frisbee towards the front of the store while muttering something at us about trying to run a business. the disc definitely popped out of the case after it smacked against the wall and it all fell behind a wobbly, overfilled shelf of unorganized poo poo. based on the conditions of the shop, it might still be there today. we left without another word while the dude sat there glaring straight ahead doing that thing that old people do when they're embarrassed by their actions but also kinda proud of themselves.

I hope his shop is doing well these days. I still don't have a copy of that game, though.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 10, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rutibex posted:

what possible incentive do they have to do this? oh ok i'll report all of the tools i take in so that maybe i get to return some stolen goods and lose my entire profit.

The law. Because pawnshops are pretty likely to have thieves try and sell stolen merch there pawnshops are some of the most inspected/watched businesses.

It's not worth it to try and be shady like the tv/movie pawn shops.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Once I scored a charango made out of an armadillo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

The law. Because pawnshops are pretty likely to have thieves try and sell stolen merch there pawnshops are some of the most inspected/watched businesses.

It's not worth it to try and be shady like the tv/movie pawn shops.

Even the fake ones like pawn stars make a big show about how they keep things in the back until the police can come check them out. I'm sure a lot slips through, especially things like a single hammer or whatever but finding an actual stolen valuable thing like a rolex or jewelry seems highly unlikely especially in modern times.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Even the fake ones like pawn stars make a big show about how they keep things in the back until the police can come check them out. I'm sure a lot slips through, especially things like a single hammer or whatever but finding an actual stolen valuable thing like a rolex or jewelry seems highly unlikely especially in modern times.

There's really no way to tell if some things are stolen sometimes. Do you guys have the serial numbers for all your stuff written down and kept somewhere safe? If you get robbed the police will put those numbers in the report and pawnshops can be on the look out for your stuff (and have helped people get their stuff back on several occasions).

But most folks don't do that so when the pawn shop checks the serial number on a lawnmower (or whatever) it comes back clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pawn shops are usually in real bad areas of town, I generally avoid them.

• Locked thread