Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Elon Musk just keeps embarrassing himself. He's been getting in fights with journalists over his terrible Tesla tent:

https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/1016181473597100032

To making a fool of himself offering up a mini-submarine to save the boys in the Thai cave:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1016557719539605504

At least he occasionally does something useful:

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1015388220912267265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Model 3 isn't a sedan though

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

He might be a fuckin weirdo but at least he’s throwing around all that cash trying to do stuff, even if it doesn’t always work out. Plenty other billionaires just sitting on their piles of cash shouting ‘nyah!’ At all the poors

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
gently caress that guy

Also save Grimes

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

clone on the phone posted:

He might be a fuckin weirdo but at least he’s throwing around all that cash trying to do stuff, even if it doesn’t always work out. Plenty other billionaires just sitting on their piles of cash shouting ‘nyah!’ At all the poors

He saves all his "NYAH!" for unions.

Techbros are guillotine fodder.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

most billionaires also have better things to do than fight on twitter and masturbate in public (but fail to finish) like he does

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

berth ell pup posted:

most billionaires also have better things to do

Nah

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He's a good man I don't see the problem

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

berth ell pup posted:

most billionaires also have better things to do than fight on twitter and masturbate in public (but fail to finish) like he does
What's the public masturbation story? I missed that.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

This is always the go to Musk defence and it's so bizarre. No, wasting millions of dollars on bullshit pie-in-the-sky ideas or building exploding rockets actually isn't more useful than putting it in a bank or investing.

E: not that it makes sense because musk does put his billions in a bank. Then he spends a couple million on stupid stunts that impress morons and raises him tens of millions.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 11, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Giggy posted:

This is always the go to Musk defence and it's so bizarre. No, wasting millions of dollars on bullshit pie-in-the-sky ideas or building exploding rockets actually isn't more useful than putting it in a bank or investing.

ok dad

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Giggy posted:

E: not that it makes sense because musk does put his billions in a bank. Then he spends a couple million on stupid stunts that impress morons and raises him tens of millions.

exactly

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I read somewhere that Teslas have poo poo brakes. Like it takes Teslas far longer to come to a complete stop from going 60 miles an hour than other, comparable cars.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
in this thread people that don't understand the value of rockets capable of re-entry

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Musk is probably my favorite billionaire tbh

He played the same video games I did

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
People love to talk about musk in SA.

Does he anything philanthropically?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Burt Sexual posted:

That depends, does it benefit him in some way?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the billionaire that brutally exploits the masses for my wealth but then I give some back and am forgiven.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

has Musk always been this much of a dork/rear end in a top hat or is it a new thing? I remember thinking he was an alright dude for the longest time

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

He was asked to help out with Flint's water issues and donated 500 bikes. He heard about the kids trapped in caves and had his team design a mini-sub that couldn't maneuver thru the cave. I'm sure he's done other stuff but those two instances felt like misdirected philanthropic PR stunts.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
he's like professor frink basically

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Cowman posted:

has Musk always been this much of a dork/rear end in a top hat or is it a new thing? I remember thinking he was an alright dude for the longest time

he started being more vocal

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
"oooh... that union is going to pay!"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomPauI posted:

He was asked to help out with Flint's water issues and donated 500 bikes. He heard about the kids trapped in caves and had his team design a mini-sub that couldn't maneuver thru the cave. I'm sure he's done other stuff but those two instances felt like misdirected philanthropic PR stunts.

Indeed, I was talking like joining that Murdoch dude and promising to give away 90% or something.

Moridin920 posted:

I'm the billionaire that brutally exploits the masses for my wealth but then I give some back and am forgiven.

Who said that? Stop picking fights in threads.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not picking fights I am making a joke

Defensive lol

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
"he gave Flint 500 bikes! It should've been 1,000!!"

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

in this thread people that don't understand the value of rockets capable of re-entry

He gets all his money from NASA, which could do it without making a "profit" if only we had a sensible government/populace.

Cowman posted:

Probably always, but Tesla seemed sincere. Then he started talking about hyperloops and doing PR bullshit and it became clear he's a charlatan.

Also, an affordable fuel efficient gas car would probably be more environmentally friendly than an electric car anyway.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
it should have been zero what the gently caress are you gonna do with a bike in flint. the water is poison and it's like -20f there every day

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Dennis System posted:

I read somewhere that Teslas have poo poo brakes. Like it takes Teslas far longer to come to a complete stop from going 60 miles an hour than other, comparable cars.

They are like 6000 pounds dude. That's a lot of mass to slow down.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Giggy posted:

sure it's more useful. that money's not disappearing, somebody's getting paid for parts and labor, and those people will spend their earnings on other goods and services. doesn't really matter how pointless they are if the money's circulating back into the economy afaik. I think it was Keynes that said if we wanted to end unemployment, we'd pay people to bury money in disused coalmines, and wait for private enterprise to pay people to dig it back up? something like that

of course, as you say, it's just a fraction of Musk's net worth. most of his money (as with most of all money) is invested in abstract systems that only exist to make the number go higher
e: and as others have pointed out, sometimes it's not even his money that he's spending, so much as he's schmoozing grants and contracts out of public funds
the populist poo poo is bread and circuses if not conspicuous consumption
not sure what my point is, but to be clear gently caress billionaires

Cubone fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 11, 2018

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
He clearly needs to make a Delorean.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I could literally throw money at a lot of the worlds problems to make them go away but im going to use it on death cars because a hobo scared me on the bus once.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

I'm not picking fights I am making a joke

Defensive lol

Please make jokes then.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Well if hes the real ironman someone needs to shove some palladium in his chest cavity.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

DogonCrook posted:

Well if hes the real ironman someone needs to shove some palladium in his chest cavity.
When you remove the comic book hyperbole it translates in real life to a male wiener going into his bung hole.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I hope "Grimes" is well hung

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Donovan Trip posted:

It's pretty difficult to drink bikes.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

what's the story with the bikes I thought flint's water was polluted

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

He made the money mostly from paypal, which involved stealing from charities, we got to experience that first hand here. He makes gadgets for the rich to play with and does pr poo poo. When his stocks start to go bad he does borderline illegal definitely illegal once some controls are restored poo poo to float it. Like when he claims to invest his own money in Tesla, but is just using shady finance/stock poo poo to fake it.

He's a wannabe Howard Hughes who's actually just another lovely Hank Rearden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Howard hughes was cooler than musk even in the piss jar phase.