Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Simple. Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time

Grimey Drawer

Lovecraft was a swell guy.

He had some P cool idea about evil space entities that dwell beyond time and space which would drive mortal men to insanity with the very glimpse at the incomprehensible and utter natural disturbing nature of its existence.

But that was a loving age ago. Personally, I was thinking recently you would just have to scroll on to the wrong website these days to find something that would ..well .. drive mortal men to insanity with the very glimpse at the incomprehensible and utter natural disturbing nature of its existence.

So I gots to thinking, what would it be like to combine the two? Post your versions!

For my part...I present to you ...Incel-yigggoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

cots are our masters

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

Stuck!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Salad Prong

horned up for Bjork
Mar 18, 2010

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

AAAAHHH!!!

my dog died im sad
Jun 29, 2015

My God, it's full of rings.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

NSFW: https://i.imgur.com/1reDdmy.png

(from this extremely thread)

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

NSFW just in case but it's all alien anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/fqDKSup.png

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nice

Dangerous Minority
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

my dog died im sad posted:

My God, it's full of rings.

"The colour of out Space!"

Chomp8645
Sep 1, 2006

Don't ever leave me hangin' buddy!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

Gosh

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Say Nothing
Mar 4, 2013

If you need inspiration, go look at the 600 lb life thread.

Or the deviantart thread.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson
Jun 26, 2005

Feels good man.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Lovecraft was a swell guy.

FUN FACT Lovecraft was also racist as gently caress, and the big horror twist ending in at least one of his stories was that the main character was half-black.

Sorry you think a racist is cool, OP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson
Jun 26, 2005

Feels good man.

I mean Iím not saying OP is a racist BUT idg why he likes all these hella racist people so much

Iím just asking questions

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

Som Muay Dtiet

The Rainbow Goat of the Woods

Bronies are still a thing, right?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I mean I’m not saying OP is a racist BUT idg why he likes all these hella racist people so much

I’m just asking questions

It's like the twist of innsmouth.... I was the monster all along.

Shinku ABOOKEN
Oct 23, 2009

STOP IT

STOP ALL THIS
NONSENSE

Foul Ole Ron posted:

It's like the twist of innsmouth.... I was the monster all along.

wasnít there an elder god called niggerath?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW

Clapping Larry

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Shub niggurath.

Hey how come the Great Old Ones can say it and I canít?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

yeah nah nah yeah~

I FRANKSTON

Nap Ghost

necroid
May 14, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

FUN FACT Lovecraft was also racist as gently caress, and the big horror twist ending in at least one of his stories was that the main character was half-black.

Sorry you think a racist is cool, OP.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

he grew up as a sheltered and self-loathing nerd because of his weirdo mom who kept telling him he was a monster and other kids were afraid of him. later in life he ended up marrying a jewish ukrainian woman, which helped him realize he hadn't been raised very well.

he died poor and in pain, much like the rest of his life. go on, read about him, it'll make it easier to understand why he sounded like such an rear end in a top hat.

he's cool as a weird hosed up anomaly, in the sense that he created all these stories which had pretty interesting premises compared to other pulp science fiction of those years.

necroid
May 14, 2009

in "the rats in the walls" the protagonist's cat was also called friend of the family man

quote:

When the story was reprinted in Zest magazine (1950s), this name was changed to Black Tom.

mkultra419
May 3, 2005

Alchemist

Pillbug

necroid posted:

in "the rats in the walls" the protagonist's cat was also called friend of the family man

quote:

When the story was reprinted in Zest magazine (1950s), this name was changed to Black Tom.

I actually really like Lovecraft despite having issues with some aspects of his work, but LOL that he wrote something so blatantly racist that it was considered unacceptably offensive in the 1950s.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

yeah nah nah yeah~

I FRANKSTON

Nap Ghost

yeah to be honest a non racist pre 1965 was as rare as a black swan

necroid
May 14, 2009

a friend of the family swan, if you will

e: before you freak out i'm not white

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

It was actually a super common pet name lol, like one of the most popular.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

Express feelings about Lovecraft using the playful medium of paint, there's an idea.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2018 around 12:28

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

these are great so far

also go and google the name of his cat

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The more I learn eh?

Not only was lovecraft good at making up monsters, he was a racist one himself.

#Deepone lives matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

lol I always imagine him fuming and shaking when he wrote "the horror at red hook"

quote:

Lovecraft's single-room apartment at 169 Clinton Street in Brooklyn Heights, not far from the working-class waterfront neighborhood Red Hook, was burgled, leaving him with only the clothes he was wearing. In August 1925 he wrote "The Horror at Red Hook"

quote:

Lovecraft referred to the area's immigrant population by referring to Red Hook as "a maze of hybrid squalor".[3] He spelled out his inspiration for "The Horror at Red Hook" in a letter written to fellow writer Clark Ashton Smith:

The idea that black magic exists in secret today, or that hellish antique rites still exist in obscurity, is one that I have used and shall use again. When you see my new tale "The Horror at Red Hook", you will see what use I make of the idea in connexion with the gangs of young loafers & herds of evil-looking foreigners that one sees everywhere in New York.[4]

Lovecraft had moved to New York to marry Sonia Greene a year earlier, in 1924; his initial infatuation with New York soon soured (an experience fictionalized in his short story "He"), in large part due to Lovecraft's xenophobic attitudes. "Whenever we found ourselves in the racially mixed crowds which characterize New York, Howard would become livid with rage," Greene later wrote. "He seemed almost to lose his mind."[5]

«3 »