Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

FUN FACT Lovecraft was also racist as gently caress, and the big horror twist ending in at least one of his stories was that the main character was half-black.

Sorry you think a racist is cool, OP. :hitler:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

wasn’t there an elder god called niggerath?

he grew up as a sheltered and self-loathing nerd because of his weirdo mom who kept telling him he was a monster and other kids were afraid of him. later in life he ended up marrying a jewish ukrainian woman, which helped him realize he hadn't been raised very well.

he died poor and in pain, much like the rest of his life. go on, read about him, it'll make it easier to understand why he sounded like such an rear end in a top hat.

he's cool as a weird hosed up anomaly, in the sense that he created all these stories which had pretty interesting premises compared to other pulp science fiction of those years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

in "the rats in the walls" the protagonist's cat was also called friend of the family man

quote:

When the story was reprinted in Zest magazine (1950s), this name was changed to Black Tom.

necroid
May 14, 2009

a friend of the family swan, if you will

e: before you freak out i'm not white

necroid
May 14, 2009

lol I always imagine him fuming and shaking when he wrote "the horror at red hook"

quote:

Lovecraft's single-room apartment at 169 Clinton Street in Brooklyn Heights, not far from the working-class waterfront neighborhood Red Hook, was burgled, leaving him with only the clothes he was wearing. In August 1925 he wrote "The Horror at Red Hook"

quote:

Lovecraft referred to the area's immigrant population by referring to Red Hook as "a maze of hybrid squalor".[3] He spelled out his inspiration for "The Horror at Red Hook" in a letter written to fellow writer Clark Ashton Smith:

The idea that black magic exists in secret today, or that hellish antique rites still exist in obscurity, is one that I have used and shall use again. When you see my new tale "The Horror at Red Hook", you will see what use I make of the idea in connexion with the gangs of young loafers & herds of evil-looking foreigners that one sees everywhere in New York.[4]

Lovecraft had moved to New York to marry Sonia Greene a year earlier, in 1924; his initial infatuation with New York soon soured (an experience fictionalized in his short story "He"), in large part due to Lovecraft's xenophobic attitudes. "Whenever we found ourselves in the racially mixed crowds which characterize New York, Howard would become livid with rage," Greene later wrote. "He seemed almost to lose his mind."[5]

necroid
May 14, 2009

Propitious Jerk posted:

I decided to use what I had as an underpainting and finished it up. Here's a big ol' high res version:

Very nice