Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Curious to hear what were major changes from the book to the TV adaptation. I know southern founder day was added and so was the story with Camille's hospital roommate (both of which feel really necessary in the TV series so they feel like good additions) - just perusing the wikipedia page it doesn't seem like Camille sleeping with John Keene is in the book either?

Thought the series was tremendous, though it may have slowed down a little too much near the end and stuffed a whole lot in the last couple episodes. Feels like there could have been a more graceful way to discover that Adora was suffering from Munchausen by Proxy than to just have a nurse spell it out to Camille in a waiting room. Still, Patricia Clarkson was amazing, all the different interactions and intrigues were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mike N Eich posted:

Curious to hear what were major changes from the book to the TV adaptation. I know southern founder day was added and so was the story with Camille's hospital roommate (both of which feel really necessary in the TV series so they feel like good additions) - just perusing the wikipedia page it doesn't seem like Camille sleeping with John Keene is in the book either?

Thought the series was tremendous, though it may have slowed down a little too much near the end and stuffed a whole lot in the last couple episodes. Feels like there could have been a more graceful way to discover that Adora was suffering from Munchausen by Proxy than to just have a nurse spell it out to Camille in a waiting room. Still, Patricia Clarkson was amazing, all the different interactions and intrigues were great.

One thing I remember is the book goes a tiny bit past where the show ends (Amma is sent to jail, Camille learns her motive was jealousy at the attention Adora paid the other girls).

The novel is pretty short so I was always wondering how they were going to adapt it into a whole season's worth of episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mike N Eich posted:

was added and so was the story with Camille's hospital roommate

Ah, that explains why her roommate dying of "poisoning" didn't actually end up tying in to the story at all.

I still like my theory that Camille poisoned her because she "has her mother's sickness" (sorry esperterra lmao)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

precision posted:

Ah, that explains why her roommate dying of "poisoning" didn't actually end up tying in to the story at all.

It gives further backing to her need to save Amma, because it makes two girls that she's failed to save.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

General Dog posted:

It gives further backing to her need to save Amma, because it makes two girls that she's failed to save.

Doubling seems important for the show given how the past overlaps with the present. It introduces a new layer of uncertainty when you’re not sure who the barely visible malicious specter is in the split-second she’s on screen.

Similarly, it seems like there are two ominous memories of that shed: one when she’s in a cheerleading outfit with longer hair and one when she’s younger with short hair floating in the water nearby. But it might also just be the memories bleeding into each other.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

"I'm Persephone, Queen of the Underworld. She's married to that big dude, Hades. He runs Hell, but she's in charge of punishment."

"Kinda funny, huh? How many stories they have where princesses need to get rescued from witches. Wind Gap has one, even."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 28, 2018

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
This was a great binge watch. Couldn't get into it on my laptop but I'm staying with friends at the moment and we watched it on their massive TV, and with all the detail and the jump cuts it was great. The whole mood of the series, the ecstasy episode...

My only disappointment was that I saw some stuff in the thread about "omg the final scene!" and given the slow build of the series and the heavy tension, I was expecting some sudden, graphic violence, especially with Camile being drugged and out of it, I thought we were building up to a very tense final fight almost. The ending wasn't so subtle that I needed a HBO explainer, but I was expecting something a bit more graphic. Overall very enjoyable. Would absolutely watch another 1 off series like it. I'm enjoying this show format and I think so long as shows of this style keep drawing in good numbers and good press, they're sure to continue making 'em. I wonder what book/thing they'll adapt next.

e: Also the Persephone thing was rad, the costume, the mood, everything. I really liked the subtle nods to horror throughout the show. It kind of reminded me of the whole family drama side of Hereditary (which for me was by far the most compelling part of the film), especially with the doll's house.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I'm a LedZep fan but couldn't remember anything particular about the lyrics to In The Evening other than "I need your love" which would have been good enough. Now I realize how much they fit the show now, great choice.

Led Zeppelin posted:

In the evening
When the day is done
I'm looking for a woman
But the girl don't come
So don't let her
Play you for a fool
She don't show no pity, baby
She don't make no rules

Oh, I need your love
I need your love
Oh, I need your love
I just got to have

So don't you let her
Oh, get under your skin
It's only bad luck and trouble
From the day that you begin
I hear you crying in the darkness,
Don't ask nobody's help
Ain't no pockets full of mercy, baby
'Cause you can only blame yourself

Oh, I need your love
Oh, oh, I need your love
Yeah, I need your love
I just got to have

Oh, it's simple
All the pain that you go through
You can turn away from fortune, fortune, fortune
'Cause that's all that's left to you
Oh, it's lonely at the bottom
Man, it's dizzy at the top
But if you're standing in the middle
Ain't no way you're gonna stop, oh

Oh, I need your love
Oh, oh, I need your love
Oh, oh, I need your love
I just got to have

Ooh, whatever that your days may bring
No use hiding in a corner
'Cause that won't change a thing
If you're dancing in the doldrums
One day soon, it's got to stop, it's got to stop
When you're the master of the off-chance
When you don't expect a lot

Oh, I need your love
Oh, oh, I need your love
Oh yeah, I need your love
I just got to have, I just got to have

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

So...gotta ask (probably shouldn't)...was Camille the product of rape? I know it doesn't have to be that way based on the show, but the possibility is strongly implied, and the book (haven't read it myself) would shed more light on it. Plus it would explain a lot--not about Camille directly, but about Adora--and do it better than just Adora's mother being abusive.

Not enough attention paid to how much the maid Gayla knew about what was going on. The show did so wonderfully and properly subtly with Alan and Vickery.

Also, slightly related note, the book's author Gillian Flynn will be handling the US adaptation of the UK show Utopia, which for some of you is the best TV series you've never heard of. (Big Bad Voodoo Lou: Utopia was its own British TV show; then HBO was going to adapt it with Fincher and that fell through, never heard of Fincher and Flynn doing it together [EDIT: oh I guess Wikipedia says she was on board then too]; now Amazon is doing it with Flynn.)

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 29, 2018

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Onomarchus posted:

So...gotta ask (probably shouldn't)...was Camille the product of rape? I know it doesn't have to be that way based on the show, but the possibility is strongly implied, and the book (haven't read it myself) would shed more light on it. Plus it would explain a lot--not about Camille directly, but about Adora--and do it better than just Adora's mother being abusive.

Not enough attention paid to how much the maid Gayla knew about what was going on. The show did so wonderfully and properly subtly with Alan and Vickery.

Also, slightly related note, the book's author Gillian Flynn will be handling the US adaptation of the UK show Utopia, which for some of you is the best TV series you've never heard of. (Big Bad Voodoo Lou: Utopia was its own British TV show; then HBO was going to adapt it with Fincher and that fell through, never heard of Fincher and Flynn doing it together [EDIT: oh I guess Wikipedia says she was on board then too]; now Amazon is doing it with Flynn.)

It wasn't just implied, it was all but explicitly shown that she was raped as a teenager/cheerleader by that group of football players in the woods.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 29, 2018

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Vernacular posted:

It wasn't just implied, it was all but explicitly shown that she was raped by as a teenager/cheerleader by that group of football players in the woods.

Camille was definitely raped by the football players in the woods, but he was asking about who her father was. Basically saying that Adora had an innate hatred of Camille because she was the product of her (Adora) being raped.

I have no idea, never read the book myself, but yeah I don't remember camilles father being brought up too often in the show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vernacular posted:

It wasn't just implied, it was all but explicitly shown that she was raped by as a teenager/cheerleader by that group of football players in the woods.

I think Onomarchus meant that Camille's father raped Adora, explaining a bit why Adora never loved Camille.

In Luke Cage Season 2, there was a very similar scene with Mariah Dillard telling her daughter Tilda that she never loved her, and admitting that Tilda's real father was Mariah's own uncle, who had raped her.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I think Adora never loved Camille because she always resisted being taken care of by Adora.

On the whole the reviews of the finale/series have been quite positive but surprised at the number of ones I've seen that said the Amma reveal makes the story and its twists & turns invalid. Huh? I think everything they showed in the series was in service of the characters of Camille/Adora/Amma, how the murders came to happen and their effect on the people of a very small town.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I never really regarded the murders as a thing of central importance to the story until the end of the previous episode. I don't think it's ever really posed as a mystery to puzzle out.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Camille bears her mother's maiden name, but her mother acts like she drat well knew who her father was. Not giving her his surname means major hatred or shame, doubly so for a traditionalist like Adora that would normally bow to naming custom. And she says she never loved her because she had her father's cold/awful nature. Plus, and this is really reading into it, having rape as the cause of first child could poison (unintentional pun!) her attitude toward all children she bears, not just Camille, which might cause a less overt hatred that still leads to attempted/successful murder. Plus it might/might not lead to her really hosed up relationship with Alan in ways that are too complicated for me to parse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why does every thread end up in rape chat

i really don't think adora was raped

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

el oso posted:

I think Adora never loved Camille because she always resisted being taken care of by Adora. .

That's how I saw it and it's more interesting than Adora being traumatized by rape. If Adora already resented Camille it just confuses the plot to make such a big deal out of Camille refusing to be cared for.

The weird part is that the murders were a social affair.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

p sure Adora's issues with her children come from her relationship with her own lovely mother. She wanted attention from her so showers her children with far too much. I took Adora's little chat with Camille about her father to be Adora blaming him for her personality (and resistance of being fussed over with the 'medicine') rather than wanting to believe that could ever come from herself.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Led Zeppelin posted:

In the evening
When the day is done
I'm looking for a woman
But the girl don't come
So don't let her
Play you for a fool
She don't show no pity, baby
She don't make no rules

:psyboom:

I was making fun of my wife for not liking Zepp enough while watching this, but I did not go this deep.

Show was great, need more like this. True Detective 3 looks amazing.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I couldn't tell from the mid-credits scene; was it Amma killing her New St Louis Friend, or a flashback to her killing the girl(s) from the town? Basically I couldn't tell if New St Louis Friend was a recruit or a victim. I know the implication is victim, but couldn't actually tell from the quick murder flash.

Also every time I see the title of this show I accidentally read Sharper Image. This is the show Sharper Image. Sorry.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

I couldn't tell from the mid-credits scene; was it Amma killing her New St Louis Friend, or a flashback to her killing the girl(s) from the town? Basically I couldn't tell if New St Louis Friend was a recruit or a victim. I know the implication is victim, but couldn't actually tell from the quick murder flash.

Also every time I see the title of this show I accidentally read Sharper Image. This is the show Sharper Image. Sorry.

Both. She killed the two girls in Wind Gap (with the help of her 2 buddies) and her new st louis friend solo

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

precision posted:

why does every thread end up in rape chat

i really don't think adora was raped

This kind of annoys me too. There is absolutely no evidence or even hints that adora or her daughter had a product by rape, and none whatsoever that Adora was raped at all.

Personally, I didn't like this miniseries very much at all, but that was because of the weird pacing, HORRIBLE audio design, and the fast-cut background imagery that was literally too fast for anyone over 10 years old. please do not let this become the hipster standard of Juneau cinema.

Amy Adams was great. I think that both the cops were great. I think "momma" was basically playing "full-retard" where her passive-aggressive awfulness would have been hard to mess up. She just had to say horrible things that were self-serving and inappropriate. I think the "dad" played it ok, but he was written as un-knowing and then all of a sudden an accomplice. It was weird.

The worst and most un-explainable part of the series was the maid. She was at least as culpable as the "new dad" and probably more so, yet Camille loves her and she's conveniently missing for most of the story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Really? I thought the sound design in this show was brilliant, especially in the finale. I was impressed with the sound in BLL as well, tho I have no idea if Vallee worked w/ the same dude or not tbf.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is from the top of the page but Camille sleeping with John Keene is in the book yeah

One thing they took out of the adaptation is the idea that Camille has this one smooth spot on her back where she couldn’t reach to carve anything into, and then after Amma gets taken away she has a breakdown and plunges a knife into that section, mutilating it worse than the rest. Then she ends up living with the editor and is improving when the book ends.

I think this finale dragged a little, but when it hit it was amazing. Alan telling Amma to go back upstairs, the entire last few minutes and credits. Great show.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Escobarbarian posted:

This is from the top of the page but Camille sleeping with John Keene is in the book yeah

One thing they took out of the adaptation is the idea that Camille has this one smooth spot on her back where she couldn’t reach to carve anything into, and then after Amma gets taken away she has a breakdown and plunges a knife into that section, mutilating it worse than the rest. Then she ends up living with the editor and is improving when the book ends.

I think this finale dragged a little, but when it hit it was amazing. Alan telling Amma to go back upstairs, the entire last few minutes and credits. Great show.

God, the second where drugged Camille sees Amma playing around on her phone with a huge gently caress-off slice of cake next to her just made my heart sink. I honestly thought that the show was gonna go full grimdark and end with Adora successfully killing off Camilla and then returning her attentions to Amma.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

You know it took me like four episodes to realise the opening credits music was different every time? I'm so bad at music in tv lol.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol same here, down to the exact episode

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003

hathfallen posted:

Wow just three episodes in and this show is really fuckin bad yall

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Amma has her brain fried by years of being dosed with rat poison. But what were her friends excuses for being murderers?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

peer pressure

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

surf rock posted:

God, the second where drugged Camille sees Amma playing around on her phone with a huge gently caress-off slice of cake next to her just made my heart sink. I honestly thought that the show was gonna go full grimdark and end with Adora successfully killing off Camilla and then returning her attentions to Amma.

I thought the milk at Camille's place setting during the creepy dinner in the last episode would poison and kill her. That's why I thought it was called Milk.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Amma has her brain fried by years of being dosed with rat poison. But what were her friends excuses for being murderers?

A running theme of Gillian Flynn's work seems to be "women are monsters"

Captain Tripps
May 17, 2004
This space for rent...

precision posted:

A running theme of Gillian Flynn's work seems to be "women are monsters"

She describes it more as "women can be as monstrous as any other villain".

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Burned through this in a day. A bit disappointed due to the hype. The end felt very sloppy and poorly done and the "don't tell momma"/hard cut to rock music+credits was amazingly stupid. Like out of a bad teen horror movie stupid. Lots of random scenes and bits that never got tied up or were really addresses that ended up being time fillers but looking back so much of that series was mindless filler. Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson were great though so there's that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really liked this series, but didn't like the ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So I picked up the book, haven't read it yet but did read the last chapter to compare endings. As much as I like the added explanation for Amma, as well as Camille's own fears w/r/t whether she is becoming or has the potential to become Adora, enjoying caring for Amma during their time together and her breakdown after Amma's arrest, I think I like the show ending more. 'Don't tell momma' is just such a drat good line to end on with the revelation of the teeth, and sadly isn't in the book!

Going to dive in when I finish up re readin Witcher tho, or maybe just knock it out during my commute b/c it's short as gently caress. I dig Flynn's prose, especially for a debut book. Excited to read Gone Girl and her other novel after.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I really liked this series, but didn't like the ending.

:same:

The soundtrack had been good for every episode/cut-to-credits, but the Zepplin kinda ruined the finale for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought the ending was gloriously over the top in a way that was perfect for the show :discourse:

• Locked thread