Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Magnolia. To put it simply, I've never been more completely swept away by a film, and I find that its effect grows on me as I get older. It's very strange and takes huge risks, but remains deeply human and emotional, and I think every single person involved is working at the height of their abilities. It's obviously not the greatest film of all time, but I've watched it 2 or 3 times a year for the past decade and a half, and I've yet to see anything else that has moved & captivated me so deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
Trust is really incredible, you owe it to yourself!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Samuel Clemens posted:

Since this thread has made it to page two, I figured it might interesting to look at some stats.

Overall, 31 unique films have been mentioned. One was picked by three people (Alien) and another by two (Heat).

Of these 31 films, ...

...28 are in colour, 3 in black-and-white.

...30 are in English, 1 is in Japanese.

...22 are from the US, 5 from the UK, 1 is from France, 1 from Ireland, 1 from Japan, and 1 from New Zealand.

...2 are from the 1940s, 2 from the 1960s, 6 from the 1970s, 7 from the 1980s, 10 from the 1990s, 3 from the 2000s, and 1 is from the 2010s.

The year 1999 has three entries (Magnolia, Bringing Out the Dead, and The Matrix), making it officially the greatest year in film history™.

The Coen Brothers are the only directors with two different films mentioned (Fargo and No Country for Old Men).

Genre classifications are a bit more difficult, but there's definitely a preference towards war films, horror, and comedy. Relatively few straight dramas, no westerns or film noir (a few neo-noirs though), and one musical.

SA is an English-language site, and most of its users are from the US, so I expected American cinema to come out on top, but its sheer dominance still surprised me. There's nothing from Africa or South America, only one entry from Asia, and even Europe is represented almost exclusively by the UK.

I would greatly appreciate hearing some of your thoughts on why this is the case. Is it simply a preference for English-language cinema? A lack of exposure to international film? Or is it because picking favourites tends to occur at a younger age where your knowledge is mostly shaped by what's on TV and in theatres? Do you think the selection would look noticeably different if achtungnight had asked for the top ten instead of only a single film?

The release years are bit more diverse, though there is a clear preference for films from the late 70s to late 90s. Which makes sense when you consider the average age around here. It was also a great time for horror and comedy, potentially explaining the dominance of these genres.

of the top 50 films in Sight and Sound's critics poll from 2012, only one could be argued to be an African film (The Battle of Algiers) and there were no films from South America at all. did you expect goons to have better tastes?

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time

china bot fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 22, 2018

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
just want to emphasize that I don't think English language films are better, just that goons are more likely to be watching mainstream films, and Africa & South America's film industries have yet to break into the mainstream (a bad thing). if you had this thread on CriterionForum.org, you'd possibly see Touki Bouki or No or something along those lines

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

My favorite by decade at the moment:

1920s: Seven Chances + The Fall of the House of Usher (short)
1930s: M + The Fourth Dimension (short)
1940s: Unfaithfully Yours + Blood of the Beasts (short)
1950s: North by Northwest + Window Water Baby Moving (short)
1960s: 2001 + Allures (short)
1970s: Being There + Hedgehog in the Fog (short)
1980s: Akira + The Dante Quartet (short)
1990s: Magnolia + Outer Space (short)
2000s: Me and You and Everyone We Know + The Heart of the World (short)
2010s: Margaret (3-hour cut) + Soft Palate (short)

e: updated to add shorts :cool:

china bot fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 30, 2018

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
updated to add shorts & runner-ups

china bot posted:

1920s: Seven Chances + The Fall of the House of Usher (short) (Nanook of the North)
1930s: M + The Fourth Dimension (short) (Duck Soup)
1940s: Unfaithfully Yours + Blood of the Beasts (short) (Citizen Kane)
1950s: North by Northwest + Window Water Baby Moving (short) (Sunset Boulevard)
1960s: 2001 + Allures (short) (Head)
1970s: Being There + Hedgehog in the Fog (short) (Nashville)
1980s: Akira + The Dante Quartet (short) (Blue Velvet)
1990s: Magnolia + Outer Space (short) (Schizopolis)
2000s: Me and You and Everyone We Know + The Heart of the World (short) (The Squid and the Whale)
2010s: Margaret (3-hour cut) + Soft Palate (short) (The Future)

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

goons posted:

1920s:

not even close to accurate, just wanted to post this gif

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
I would argue F.W. Murnau as the greatest director of the 20s, if only for this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZQr2RPsp4&t=148s

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Lurdiak posted:

People loving love making lists.

:hellyeah:, beats effort posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
I saw Eternal Sunshine the night it opened, when I was 15 years old. I invited the girl I had a crush on & my best friend, and they ended up making out 30 minutes into the movie. I learned a lot about sadness that night

• Locked thread