Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tom Gorman posted:

Alien

The set design in this movie is otherworldly. The acting is incredible. The characters are memorable. The soundtrack is amazing when it's there, and the movie is more amazing when there's no score in a scene. In my opinion, it's one of the most well-shot movies of all time, and the tension still holds up to an insane degree to this day. It's imaginative, well executed, everything about it. I have nothing bad to say about Alien. It's my favorite movie in my favorite genre and it's a timeless film that can be enjoyed and studied at the same time. It gets my nod over 2001.

There are so many films that have tried the same formula but it just can't be replicated.

I think you pretty much nailed it for me here. I will add how much I love the design of the futuristic world and setting that the Alien universe is in. That industrial look is just so eerie and intriguing to me. Also, the film accurately predicted how corporations would consolidate their power by becoming monopolies. The Weyland-Yutani corporation will essentially be Amazon or some other giant tech company soon. Back in 1979, when Alien was made, it was the year before the Reagan revolution where Corporate America went completely gangbusters; I appreciate how much the film was ahead of its time on this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread