Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobo With a Shotgun

It's just kind of... perfectly made for me? It's essentially a comedy, because it takes the exploitation elements to such a degree that it's kind of comical and it has actual jokes in it as well, but it's all played straight. Rutger Hauer is amazing in it as well and delivers every insane line like he believes it. The look of the entire movie evokes the grimy aesthetic of action movies from the late 70s and early 80s, the violence is completely over the top and radical.... There's actual social commentary in this ludicrous mess of a film, too, which is kind of surprising. And last but not least, the score is phenomenal, with amazing synth tracks, musical score taken from other works used perfectly, Tarantino-style, and every track conveys the mood of the scene it's used in perfectly.

On a more personal level, the film-maker's influences with this film are obvious, and many of them are things I grew up loving. The characters of The Plague, Slick and Ivan are all named after River City Ransom characters, the look of several locations and some characters are directly inspired by the 1990 TMNT film, and the end credits theme is from a Canadian cartoon I watched religiously as a child. The film was basically made to please me and there's very little in it I don't love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

...22 are from the US, 5 from the UK, 1 is from France, 1 from Ireland, 1 from Japan, and 1 from New Zealand.

SA is an English-language site, and most of its users are from the US, so I expected American cinema to come out on top, but its sheer dominance still surprised me. There's nothing from Africa or South America, only one entry from Asia, and even Europe is represented almost exclusively by the UK.

Hey, Hobo with a Shotgun is a Canadian production.

For the record in my top 5 films you'd find the experimental bilingual film Yes Sir, Madame.

I don't even know how to explain that movie. It's the biography of a bilingual man made from fake home movies, real home movies, and news archival footage, and every piece of dialogue and sound effect is voiced by the narrator, who introduces the reels like he's jeffrey dahmer about to confess to his murders. The entire thing is a thinly veiled metaphor for Quebec and Canada's political relationship. And it's amazing.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 27, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People loving love making lists.

• Locked thread