Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Problem description: After upgrading my laptop to the windows 10 (pro) 1803 version I can no longer remote from my desktop to my laptop. I only get the following message:

=======================
[Window Title]
Remote Desktop Connection

[Content]
An internal error has occurred.

[OK] [Help]
======================

I upgraded the laptop first, the desktop was at that point still on the previous windows version. I thought at first that was the issue but now both are on 1803 and the problem persists.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

- check if remote desktop settings are enabled
- users are part of the remote desktop users group
- both systems are fully patched, including july patch tuesday
- computers are both member of "workgroup", private network, non business
- try mRemoteNG instead of built in mstc app
- remote desktop is allowed in the windows defender firewall rules
- googling for the "error message"
- change network authentication only to off

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

only change is upgrade to windows 10 1803

Operating system: laptop and desktop are both Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

System specs: laptop is Dell XPS 15 9550, cpu i7-6770 HQ, 16 GB RAM, ethernet network is via a Dell usb dongle thing

desktop is custom build: msi z270 pc mate, i7 7700, 32 GB RAM corsair, psu (need to look this up but a corsair rm I think), nvme samsung 960 evo, router is provided by ISP, will dig up the make and model

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Thanks for the suggestions!

Turning off the firewall didn't help. I checked the logs on both machines, only thing I see are operational messages (and they're not from the time the error occures), no warnings or errors or the like.

I hadn't thought of trying to remote from laptop to desktop, but that works. I does give a certificate error first saying it isn't issued by a CA authority (which I think makes sense since this is just a at home machine) but if I accept it lets me connect just fine.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Tried copying the files (after backing them up) to the laptop but I'm getting an destination folder access denied message (even when logged in as the sole admin of the machine).

I've also tried doing this

1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
2. sfc /scannow

Both gave no errors or messages on both machines.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Nope, that gives the same access denied error unfortunately.

• Locked thread