Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
-soccer good

-FIFA bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
football owns but diving is easily the worst aspect of the modern game

sorry you don't earn any smugness points by pointing it out cuz every football fan is already aware and hates it just as much as anyone else

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

sorry you don't earn any smugness points by pointing it out cuz every football fan is already aware and hates it just as much as anyone else

Unfortunately there are people who do think it's just part of the game and everyone should stop whining about it. The same people are usually against video refereeing. Some poo poo about "culture".

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It's football you drat yankies.. you don't even use your feet in your "football" except for field goals.

"Hand Egg" or "Risk Averse Rugby", up to you which you choose.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Sport is a thing that happens on American TV to pad the space between adverts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Durzel posted:

It's football you drat yankies.. you don't even use your feet in your "football" except for field goals.

"Hand Egg" or "Risk Averse Rugby", up to you which you choose.

People who us the term hand egg are almst as bad as the sportsball people. The name doesn't have to correlate with how exactly you play it. Like whats a hockey? Or a tennis?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who us the term hand egg are almst as bad as the sportsball people. The name doesn't have to correlate with how exactly you play it. Like whats a hockey? Or a tennis?
Suppose.. except when a word is made up of two key components "foot" and "ball". I mean, it's pretty descriptive in this instance, isn't it?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The football/soccer/handegg debate is pretty much the same as "correct way to eat pizza" debate, as in only the most boring people on the planet would ever engage in either.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Guilty as charged. :smith:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

fridge corn posted:

If that's the case why don't they do anything about it?

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

They are, that's one of the reasons VAR is being rolled out.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I've never been much of a soccer fan but I watched a bunch of the World Cup this year. I enjoyed it and gained more appreciation for the sport - right up until the inevitable "go down like you were shot and clutch your leg" moments that happen every 3-5 minutes. If they would knock that poo poo off it would be roughly 100x better.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

That's the really maddening bit about it cuz diving is already a bookable offence but rarely do you ever see the refs get their cards out for it even when it's most blatent

at least var will help in certain situations but not when it happens in less innocuous areas of the pitch

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I mean var will help make sure the ref makes the right call wrt whether a foul has been committed or not but it's not gonna stop players dropping to the ground at the slightest hint of contact

Until players start getting sent off for trying to cheat and start costing their team matches I don't think it's gonna stop

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Make a rule that if the ref summons the stretcher guys you can't cancel it. You WILL be taken to the hospital and you WILL wear a cast for ten weeks.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Icochet posted:

Make a rule that if the ref summons the stretcher guys you can't cancel it. You WILL be taken to the hospital and you WILL wear a cast for ten weeks.

If you're found out to be faking an injury the opposing team gets to actually give you that injury.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

bloom posted:

If you're found out to be faking an injury the opposing team gets to actually give you that injury.

Can't wait for neymar to actually get his ankles blown off by a shotgun

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Just curious, but is there an esports league for sports video games?

because I could really use a good laugh this morning.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rad-daddio posted:

there is a Madden esports league and the players all look and sound exactly like you'd expect

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Beefeater posted:

I've never been much of a soccer fan but I watched a bunch of the World Cup this year. I enjoyed it and gained more appreciation for the sport - right up until the inevitable "go down like you were shot and clutch your leg" moments that happen every 3-5 minutes. If they would knock that poo poo off it would be roughly 100x better.

cool well founded and original thought right here folks

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Rad-daddio posted:

EA's E3 2018 presentation actually has what you're looking for with Madden Esports. Not even kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKth75c4bg&t=2498s

E:FB but I at least gave a link.

Also:

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Rad-daddio posted:

Is there a "Dive/Feign Injury" button in the FIFA video games?

vivisectvnv posted:

cool well founded and original thought right here folks

Thanks buddy. :thumbsup:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

everybody gets mad at americans for calling it "soccer" but why does no one get mad at the italians for calling it "calcio".. a word which is also, you might notice, not "football"

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
It's hosed up how soccer players are seen as sex symbols just because of their toned runner's bodies and symmetrical features. The cameras should be pointed straight into the sky so we're no longer put into a state of sexual despair every time we watch the sport. Everyone is beautiful and should be allowed to play the Beautiful Game and be in the Calvin Klein ads if it is their wish

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
FIFA sucks as an organization and has killed any desire I had to watch the world cup. I don't care about what/who they show in the stands.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

All spectator sports are bad, and every professional sports organization exists soley to configure the original game to maximize commercial time slots.

That's not including the pregame, postgame, sports radio and fantasy football and lovely videogames and misc branding
gently caress YOU DAD! ARE YOU PROUD OF ME NOW?!?!

tennis is still a fun sport to watch. and the video game based on it, which is called mario tennis all stars, is an excellent video game

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Squashing Machine posted:

It's hosed up how soccer players are seen as sex symbols just because of their toned runner's bodies and symmetrical features. The cameras should be pointed straight into the sky so we're no longer put into a state of sexual despair every time we watch the sport. Everyone is beautiful and should be allowed to play the Beautiful Game and be in the Calvin Klein ads if it is their wish

Modric looks like a rat goblin.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Durzel posted:

Suppose.. except when a word is made up of two key components "foot" and "ball". I mean, it's pretty descriptive in this instance, isn't it?

Hmm a game played not on horseback with a ball?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Earwicker posted:

tennis is still a fun sport to watch. and the video game based on it, which is called mario tennis all stars, is an excellent video game

Amen. Haven't played the new Mario game but tennis games in general are easy to pick up and fun to play. I watched hours of high level Wimbledon play yesterday which included a couple of guys full on diving for a ball. They grimaced in pain but shook it off like an adult and went right back to playing. I nominate Tennis to be the new "beautiful game."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

Amen. Haven't played the new Mario game but tennis games in general are easy to pick up and fun to play. I watched hours of high level Wimbledon play yesterday which included a couple of guys full on diving for a ball. They grimaced in pain but shook it off like an adult and went right back to playing. I nominate Tennis to be the new "beautiful game."

the even more beautiful game is racquetball but thats not on tv

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

If they rebranded as TIFA they'd get way more support

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Also the Sweden England game was amazing because all the Brits looked like muddy goblins made of lumpy turnips gurning and moaning while the Swedish crowd were all healthy, beautiful happy people
Watching all the hosed up retard fans get super upset is probably my favourite part of the World Cup. Some good quality football too of course.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVEo8SWL4Tc

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tennis is boring cuz its the same players make it to the final every tournament and do you really need to watch a federer/nadal/murray/djokovic final 9000 times over the course of 10 years??

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
This is your reminder that back in the late 90's this album actually happened. Team USA.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Why doesn't soccer add more officials on the actual field?

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
Soccer is cool because they only cut to commercial at halftime and i wish i had a reason to watch more than every four years

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pube Factory posted:

Soccer is cool because they only cut to commercial at halftime and i wish i had a reason to watch more than every four years

you can watch any time you want!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure why it took until this World Cup and Neymar's antics for the entire world to acknowledge this is a huge problem. A friend tried to get me into the 2010 World Cup and it looked like they were LARPing a WW2 battle because 2-4 people would throw themselves to the ground like an artillery strike landed and then lay there screaming until they figured out which person the Referee believed the most and was actually going to pay attention to so the rest could bravely pretend they were shaking their non-existant injuries off and be completely fine 2 minutes later unless they had another opportunity to pitch themselves into the dirt.

I was used to American sports so I didn't understand what was going on until I realized there is no clock stoppage and people figured out you get infinite and instant time-outs by diving. Momentum against you? Dive! Leading near the end? Dive! Their best player inhaled the same oxygen as you? Dive and get him penalized!

I think the entire last 15 minutes of one game was doctors carrying a steady stream of players off of the field because the team that was up 1-0 was coincidentally suffering a huge amount of devastating and time wasting injuries and they won because everytime the other team got posession one of their player's skeletons spontaneously detonated. This suckass crybaby poo poo is a core fundamental tactic in the sport that has been prevalent for a long time so its weird that soccer fans claim its just a problem that needs fixed when the entire sport is based around it. You may as well award points for the best acting and most strategic dives at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes

Earwicker posted:

you can watch any time you want!

I'm american though and mls seems pointless

• Locked thread