Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why does FIFA have a "diversity chief"? he is really loving up his job, all of the players are men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Verisimilidude posted:

this year I've heard more Americans talk about soccer than any other sport because, hate to break it to you, but most sports are terrible

I'd say the list went soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey, and a far distant football

football and soccer are the same game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
check out this goat it is good enough to play pro soccer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzvxJPwHgc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm not sure why it took until this World Cup and Neymar's antics for the entire world to acknowledge this is a huge problem. A friend tried to get me into the 2010 World Cup and it looked like they were LARPing a WW2 battle because 2-4 people would throw themselves to the ground like an artillery strike landed and then lay there screaming until they figured out which person the Referee believed the most and was actually going to pay attention to so the rest could bravely pretend they were shaking their non-existant injuries off and be completely fine 2 minutes later unless they had another opportunity to pitch themselves into the dirt.

I was used to American sports so I didn't understand what was going on until I realized there is no clock stoppage and people figured out you get infinite and instant time-outs by diving. Momentum against you? Dive! Leading near the end? Dive! Their best player inhaled the same oxygen as you? Dive and get him penalized!

I think the entire last 15 minutes of one game was doctors carrying a steady stream of players off of the field because the team that was up 1-0 was coincidentally suffering a huge amount of devastating and time wasting injuries and they won because everytime the other team got posession one of their player's skeletons spontaneously detonated. This suckass crybaby poo poo is a core fundamental tactic in the sport that has been prevalent for a long time so its weird that soccer fans claim its just a problem that needs fixed when the entire sport is based around it. You may as well award points for the best acting and most strategic dives at this point.

they could fix the problem with dives by explicitly allowing tackling

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

i dont know anything about gaelic football except i happened to be staying in dublin the night of the dublin vs kerry final a couple years ago and man the whole town went completely loving nuts it was pretty great

i think gaelic football is like normal football except there are no rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

You have my attention. Now what the hell is Gaelic football.

In the same spirit, I really really like Aussie rules football. But it's not really soccer at all and has more in common with football or rugby

Gaelic football is like basketball, but played on a soccer field and you can tackle people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEAbWrdB9XU

• Locked thread