Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Guys. Guys. Guys. I need you all to be serious here for a moment and contemplate something that doesn't directly affect you. The Youtube community, the 19 year olds who upload their opinions on important things like makeup and shoes, are getting burnt out before they hit 20 years old.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/12/youtube-creators-mental-health/

quote:

But the pressure YouTubers have to deal with goes beyond money. As a YouTube creator, you're basically expected to make videos non-stop, otherwise you run the risk of losing relevance (and money) on the site. Doing too much too quickly can take a mental toll and lead to serious burnout. That's a struggle that Elle Mills, a YouTuber with about 1.4 million subscribers, talked about in a video from May titled "Burnt out at 19." She discussed how, despite having her dream job, she simply wasn't content. "My life just changed so fast," Mills said in the video. "My anxiety and depression keeps getting worse and worse. This is all I ever wanted, and why the gently caress am I so unfucking unhappy? It doesn't make any sense. It's so stupid. It is so stupid."

These poor artists suffering for their art, their very souls, are being irreparably damaged by negative comments and thumbs down on Youtube.

quote:

Then there's the toxicity of the internet. Sam Sheffer, who quit his job in online media in 2016 to become a full-time YouTuber, said one of the toughest things he's had to endure is negative comments on his videos. He said it's taken him years to not let those, along with criticism (which can sometimes be constructive), affect him emotionally. This issue is magnified when you consider that many YouTube creators also produce content on other social media services, such as Twitch and Instagram. "It can be draining trying to grow on a platform like YouTube," Sheffer said. "I think if a creator is feeling burned out, they should definitely take a mental break -- even if that means not uploading for two weeks. As long as you do things with the right intent, and come back strong, things will work out." That's obviously not a guarantee, but Sheffer is optimistic that viewers would be understanding.

Never mind the fact that these people are making hundreds of thousands of dollars rambling to a $100 video camera about clothing and video games... it's the toxic internet that is breaking them. Absolutely crushing story, please think of this and like and subscribe to my channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farg posted:

I dunno I think it's a bad environment for children or young people and you should try to have some level of empathy for that, the edge thing is kinda early 2000s.
Then children or young people should not be using it, this article is about neither.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Siljmonster posted:

YouTubers are just like us, they wake up everg morning and wanna kill themselves too
They vlog about their pants one leg at a time.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Terrific Accident posted:

I am a youtube star and I'm extremely mentally ill so I can relate. It's hard coming up with quality content like what I think about the new comic book movie or a video of me opening a luxury item that was sent to me for free by the company that produces it. Contorting my face into grotesque shapes for video thumbnails has caused me to lose all sense of smell, taste, and 60% functionality of my right arm, among a host of other injuries and mental damages that have diminished my quality of life. I attempted to make the world's longest free throw and broke 16 bones in my body, most of them around my groin and rear end regions. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to eat the world's largest cupcake, and I truly believe that's where my story will come to an end
Is it too much to ask that when I make videos of myself applying mascara that was given to me so I could make a free ad for the company and earn hundreds of thousands of dollars, that people just don't make negative comments about it? I mean, don't you think I should be above everybody else on the internet who receives criticism? Please, think about my mental health before you click the thumbs down.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Tetracube posted:

the psychological stress of not saying the n-word is too great for most youtubers to bear
It's almost as irresistible as a corpse in a suicide forest... I mean, honestly, how are you expect to NOT video record that and upload it? Man was never born with willpower strong enough.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farg posted:

check again, garbanzo
19 is not a young person, it's an adult. You're 18, you can make your own financial and career decisions? You're an adult. Not sure why people are arguing on the side of the folks who have a $400 million cosmetics company they started through their Youtube channel, but whaaatever.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Farg posted:

oh sorry I was looking at a different thread about jelqing

it's like dabbing, but with your dick

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

yeah when lots of young ppl with bad job opportunities expose themselves with unforseen consequences online i'm inclined to put the blame on their terrible, cryptic "employer" profiting from all that drama but maybe that's just me
But, uh, it's not unforeseen. They're doing the same thing they did before, but now they're just complaining because they've been doing it too long. Nothing has changed. Like literally the only "consequences" are that they're burned out from doing what they're doing; nothing has changed.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

StandardVC10 posted:

I think I was born ~8 years to early too really understand the entire notion of a Youtube personality.
1) Be young and usually white
2) Video yourself acting like a moron and upload it

that's really it

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Collapsing Farts posted:

I love watching that adult man-child-thing in suits trying on trashy foods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BalhiByCRTQ

It's so...earnest
Hahaha, it's like a gussied up version of one of the Trump spawn.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This one youtuber I used to watch did really good horror game vids in the day, but now his shits gone total youtube with transposing his face on the entire screen for a scare and bullshit like that. He's now doing a thing where he reacts to his old videos, which are genuine and cool, and he stomps on them for not being monetized pieces of poo poo and I just dont know what the gently caress anymore.

gently caress YouTube monetization and anyone involved.
Some guy (who is nice actually) was offering me tips on how to grow my own Youtube channel and like literally everything he suggested I was like "hell no, I won't do that," so my channel is screwed, which I knew from the get-go. I just didn't think one of my co-hosts would be a diaper fur pedo, but that's one of those things you usually don't consider under most circumstances.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

StandardVC10 posted:

YES BUT WHY IS THIS WORTH MONEY
Because of METRICS and ENGAGEMENT and essentially AD MONEY FOR GOOGLE FROM 15 YEAR OLD KIDS WHO WILL FOREVER LOSE ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THEMSELVES AND WILLINGLY / FREELY GIVE IT UP TO A GIANT CORPORATE ENTITY IN EXCHANGE FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Blast of Confetti posted:

congrats you're getting old and making the same argument that everyone since the dawn of time has made
Yeah, people get caught up in that whole "I don't understand the youth nowadays" poo poo, but it's pretty easy to understand:

1) When you were a youth, a majority of your peers were idiots. Hell, maybe even you were an idiot.
2) ....that's really it, I guess.

It's not a generational thing, it's an age thing, and if you don't remember being younger and the stupid poo poo you liked when you were young, well then guess what, you've officially become Generic Old Person.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

yogizh posted:

Pee-wee Hermans nephew. Maybe one day he'll grow into that suit.
Let's hope it's before he gets burned out.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Horror game dude I mentioned previously had a meltdown for a few vids of his separation from his fiancee because of parent drama or whatever.

The unhealthy unfriendship on youtube goes both ways sometimes
People who weren't as familiar with the internet meltdown and go drama with poo poo a lot easier than most people on SA, because we're basically internet veterans. Perhaps even heroes, if you will.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Terrific Accident posted:

Slightly unrelated because Twitch instead of Youtube, but DrDisrespect decided it would be a good idea to admit to everyone on his stream that he had cheated on his wife and publicly apologize for it. A lot of these youtubers and streamers think of themselves as the product and have an unhealthy relationship with their audiences that I'll never understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTmrVj4YjA
Hahahahahaha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ferroque posted:

This is why lowtax stopped doing LPs.
Nah, it's because it stopped being fun. I do that poo poo to have fun, not to make a stupid career on YouTube with it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

little munchkin posted:

it was a good idea. he got shitloads of press and managed to pull in tons of viewers/subscribers. he actually figured out a way to take a vacation, something most streamers are too afraid to do because of a complete lack of "job" security

sucessful streamers/tubers are extremely calculating, they know their life is basically a reality show and there's no way this was meant to be an actual apology.
The only thing that I will comment on regarding "kids these days" is that every year that passes, the less and less perception of "shame" there is. I mean, honestly, as a culture and society, shame is getting outlawed. You cannot pass judgement or say anything negative about anybody no matter how hosed up they are; somebody will defend them. There is no sense of shame, everything is about money. It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it, if you're popular on social media, throngs of idiots will stand up for you no matter what. gently caress principles, gently caress believing in things, gently caress anything that won't help your social media profile and followers grow.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
What I'm saying here is that I want an infinity gauntlet for internet users, and immediately kill half of them. Then get another one, and another, and another. I'll put the last one on my dick.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Who What Now posted:

If you can't get shitfaced at a baseball game you aren't truly an adult. That's a scientific fact proved by Alberto Einstein himself.

gently caress that racist, 18 is an adult

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Squashing Machine posted:

Everyone used to bitch a country mile about reality TV but at least that had a barrier to entry and could only hurt so many people, like you either had to be in one of a handful of hosed up families or be one of the 500 people chosen that year to be sent to an island or dropped in front of a fake doctor to talk about your weight-related deep vein thrombosis. Now everyone can spend way too much time oversharing about every aspect of their terrible lives, and everything is equally valid so you can't tell someone that maybe he shouldn't build his entire self-concept around a children's TV show or you'll be in the poo poo with the Children's TV Show Gang and the social media sites that want to just smooth things over so they can continue mining your viewing and purchasing habits for crypto
Yup, and then when it turns out sharing every drat day off your dumb stupid life becomes too "stressful" or kids don't dig you now that you're old and in your mid-20s, you're shocked and appalled that your stupid job isn't fun and whimsical anymore? gently caress off, you made more cash than 99% of people will ever make, save your crocodile tears for Satan.

Because they're going to hell, you see

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Bholder posted:

Where did this hundreds of thousands of dollars came from?

Sorry I should've quoted the $400 million a year one of them makes instead of pulling that figure out of thin air

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

jimmyjams posted:

lowtax whats it like watching image macros and lets plays get born on these very forums and then grow up to ruin the world

Fine with me as long as I don't get credited / blamed outside here for them

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The majority of streamers or YouTube channels get like five views, total. I think this is one of the reasons people get anxious; they know that at any given moment there are several million other people who would love to take their place.
That's kind of what happens when you choose to be an entertainer in a field where literally anybody can become an entertainer. gently caress a loving rat on top on turtle and call it the rat turtle channel and bam, a million views

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Prester Jane posted:

In fairness lowtax... considering your lived experience... you really should have been thinking about that possibility. Or at the very least it should have been on your radar...

Oh lord please don't start this poo poo again

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

In a surprising twist nobody saw coming, a corporation exploits people in the most twisted ways for profit and the goon reaction is "wow these victims of an oppressive system sure are dumbos"
lol because yes, it's clearly YouTube's fault here and none of the blame goes to the people who knew what YouTube's policies are, who had worked with YouTube, and were aware of what the job they choose entailed. loving unreasonable Goons, clearly all the blame is the evil capitalist entity that they never were prepared to deal with because, uh, reasons.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

feelix posted:

Do you feel a kinship with youtube because you unfairly use the work that goons create for free in the wildly successful Photoshop Phriday and Comedy Goldmine sections of the front page?
Yeah sure, let me just revenue split the $2.00 in ad revenue with 30 people who are aware their Photoshops might be in Photoshop Phriday or the Comedy Goldmine, two columns that haven't been updated in about a year.

My point is, if you decide that making YouTube videos is going to be your full-time job, I do not know how you could get burnt out and start complaining you cannot make anymore videos by the age of 19. What part surprised these people? That they have to continue making videos? Seriously, explain how these people are victims when they were all well aware of the expectations and needs they would have to meet when they chose this as their job.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

steinrokkan posted:

The evil corporation is denying us the natural right to make a living off lazy, derivative video game commentaries, this is truly peak of capitalist oppression

No you do not understand, these poor people were forced by capitalism to work in the YouTube mines, getting virtual black lung from all the video uploads they gotta do just to survive. They, in no way, are responsible for their situation, as capitalism's twisted tentacles ensnared them and made them slaves to the video lord. How could have anybody possibly known that uploading videos every day would require them to upload videos every day, they'd have to be as smart as Albert Edison to figure such a thing out.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

steinrokkan posted:

lol @ the idea of youtube "creators"

there are like ten channels that actually create something on that website
I disagree with that, these people all create something. I think if they product has value or is actually creative is a different argument, but at least from YouTube's point of view, they are creating things that there is clearly a demand for.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

All labor has value, even if just for the sake of novelty.

Youtube is pr cool as an idea, except for all the spying and poo poo. That being said, I'm not going to go around being an apologist for their company/idea post-acquisition by Alphabet. Most of it is designed to keep our collective heads in the sand so it should be approached like propaganda spectacle unless proven otherwise.
Yeah, I'm, in no way saying YouTube is a perfect service and run by compassionate CEOs who deeply care about each and every one of their video producers. They don't give a poo poo about anybody except their stockholders. They're a disgusting black box that would love to exploit and sap every drop of information they can get from all their users.

But that said, my point is anybody who takes a full-time job knowing they have to make videos full-time should not be surprised that they have to make videos full-time. If they weren't in it for the long run, then they should not have chosen that profession. Seriously, what were they expecting to happen?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Word. It's the same cycle of disillusionment that we all go through, it's just that 'toobers' go through it in a far more trite and embarrassing way. Perhaps they could be accused of tunnelvision, or tubelvision.
Well and if you're burned out by age 19, or you're worth $400 million and it burns you out, I really don't know what to say. I mean, Google didn't force anybody into the YouTube labor camps, people chose that as a profession, and all the risks and factors of their job were well known in advance. As much as I'd love to just say "lol capitalism," I honestly do not know what these people were expecting here.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

bag em and tag em posted:

YouTube kids venting about dumb bullshit sure seems to be triggering.

Argh! MILLENIALS! I, an older person, am wiser and more better! I worked hard! Why aren't they also work hard? Do hard labor youngs!!!!
I'm assuming you find no inherent humor of professional YouTubers complaining that they're getting burnt out at 19. It's not just a millennial thing; if somebody was 50 years old and quit their job to make YouTube videos full-time, and then complained that he was burnt out from making YouTube videos full-time, it'd be the exact same thing. People trying to cash in by uploading dumb videos about their dumb lives shouldn't be surprised by the fickle and demanding market out there.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

bag em and tag em posted:

It's kinda funny but a lot of posts itt coming off as just real bitter
I agree, I was just explaining my point of view, so I don't come off like that.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

RoboCop 3 posted:

Aren’t a lot of people itt vastly overestimating the amount of money that even moderately popular YouTubers make? I keep seeing the word “millionaires” being thrown around, and it’s always been my understanding that those are maybe the top 0.001% of channels.
I'm just referring to anybody who chooses to make a full-time job out of being a YouTube "celebrity" and then is shocked to discover they have to keep doing it if they want to keep making money.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Murray Mantoinette posted:

yeah I just got the email notification since I subscribe to your channel

im online,

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Yeah I know. Didn’t they, like, upload your brain pattern when they opened up your skull during spine surgery or something? I figured that’s why you’ve been posting so much lately.
I was banned for "hate speech" on Twitter after I told Nancy Pelosi to "eat the children."

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

You also threatened to hit someone with an hors d’oeuvres platter or similar?
I said I'd throw a chessboard at her head. According to Twitter, that is a threat of violence.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

I mean... isn’t it?

Pretty sure I wasn't serious and also I said that I'd only do it if she was in my basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

The White Dragon posted:

I think there's a quintessential cultural disconnect. Proletariat Lowtax, like you and I, thinks a chessboard is a light piece of cardboard with a checker pattern on. Bourgeois Twitter Denizens, who should be eaten, think a chessboard is a fifty-pound slab of marble, obsidian, gold, and glass.
I ain't tossing no slab

• Locked thread