Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thauros posted:

he broke the flag the last time he won the g1
https://i.gifer.com/SCow.mp4

His reaction is so perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

The announcer love fest at the end was great. It is incredibly refreshing to watch a major promotion that views wrestling as an art and is filled with people who love that art.

Yeah, Kevin talking seemingly from the heart over what a wonderful month he'd had and how Rocky (and Chris!) helped make it that way was really sweet :)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jerusalem posted:

1 month, 19 shows, 126 pages, and a good loving time. Pro-wrestling owns.
Finally can cross off my bucket list item of following the entirety of both G1 Block matches from beginning to end, good times, great wrestling, not quite sure if I can find the time to do this again next year, but I'll bet I'll try anyway.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

from STRIGGA at purolove.com...

- In his backstage comments Kazuchika Okada split from his longtime manager Gedo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:stare:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/JustinBarrasso/status/1028569046105522176

Okay so it looks like it was an amicable split.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

someone mentioned the split earlier in the thread and i thought they were just talking poo poo

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Oh, I totally missread the time and totally just missed G1 didnt I?

Welp

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I am going to say something very controversial.

Tanahashi is good.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinBarrasso/status/1028569046105522176

Okay so it looks like it was an amicable split.

Gedo afterwards ducks behind a door and weeps, for his perfect son has left the nest.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I am going to say something very controversial.

Tanahashi is good.

That's a pretty hot take but I'll allow it for now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So this was my first G1 and god drat it was just an amazing experience. It was so great to have so much exciting wrestling on show so often and even though it was in some ways a slog almost every night something fantastic happened to remind me why I was doing it. I've discovered some new loves in Ishii, Yano, Hangman and Tana and reaffirmed some others like Ibushi, Juice and SANADA. It was a blast sharing this journey with you all and I can't wait to do it all again next year :3:

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I never had any interest in professional wrestling until Super Eyepatch Wolf, a YouTuber, did a video on wrestling with a section talking about the arc of the Golden Lovers. After that I watched a bunch of stuff on YouTube, before subscribing to NJPW to watch Dominion and the G1 Special in San Francisco.

Following this year's G1 Climax has been just so much fun. I became invested in wrestlers and their stories to a degree that I never would've thought. You really feel the fighting spirit, and its genuinely incredible how much the physicality of matches escalates. Ibushi did things that I don't understand how they legitimately didn't seriously injure someone. Ishii, ZSJ, and Yano showed me that there are styles other than high flying that can be wildly entertaining. NJPW rules. G1 rules. Wrestling as it turns out... is good.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Who is Gheddo managing in the Impact Zone??

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Incessant Excess posted:

Who is Gheddo managing in the Impact Zone??
He's from Japan, so let's just put him with Ishimori.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I wanted my beautiful free son Ibushi to be acknowledged as a genuine top guy of the world despite his wanderlust but...

GO ACE!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Takuan posted:

20,000 people clapping along to a 38 year old man air-guitaring and it's wonderful

Somehow, that Ace is a 41 year old man.

Anyway, I fell asleep just as Ibushi was walking out like an absolute amateur so have only just caught up. And god that was amazing. I was genuinely shocked by the outcome but it's so tremendous.

The entire tournament is astounding. I can't believe that wrestling is more emotional to me in 2018 as a 33 year old than it was when I was 13. New Japan is truly something special.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

For the B Block final night's interviews YOSHI-HASHI indicated that he'll be watching Tanahashi's performance in the final very closely and Page said it's his last time tagging with Chase. The Ace-gun teases continue :thunk:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

caught up with last night's show this morning, and watched tonight's show a bit delayed. That's a lot of NJPW for one day but it's the end of G1, so it's perfectly deserved.

Ibushi was so, so close :smith: I'm not surprised, I don't think they would do the dramatic Golden Lovers angle for Wrestle Kingdom, but goddamn, between seeing Ibushi take down Kenny last night and get so close tonight....

New Japan never pulls the trigger too early on somebody, except when they do - like with Okada. But I guess that deliberate nature makes the payoffs when they do finally reach the top so, so good. It's why Kenny won the title on the fourth shot, not the first or second.

NJPW remains The Best. I was just talking with a friend today about going to Wrestle Kingdom if we're both around for the holidays, and now I'm real excited to see the build up. I still need to get to Korakuen for NJPW...soon. Hopefully.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

extradite THIS! posted:

I guess that fcuking move is a thing that Ibushi does now

I can't believe he stole it from Alexa Bliss.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

harperdc posted:

Ibushi was so, so close :smith: I'm not surprised, I don't think they would do the dramatic Golden Lovers angle for Wrestle Kingdom, but goddamn, between seeing Ibushi take down Kenny last night and get so close tonight....

New Japan never pulls the trigger too early on somebody, except when they do - like with Okada. But I guess that deliberate nature makes the payoffs when they do finally reach the top so, so good. It's why Kenny won the title on the fourth shot, not the first or second.

Also have to factor in Kota still having no contract

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Tonfa posted:

For the B Block final night's interviews YOSHI-HASHI indicated that he'll be watching Tanahashi's performance in the final very closely and Page said it's his last time tagging with Chase. The Ace-gun teases continue :thunk:

Tagging with Tanahashi seems like a good way to get pinned a lot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gedo and Okada breaking up is devastating, even if it was amicable. I always loved watching Gedo beam with pride at his perfect son post-match :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But... but who will tell us that Okada is on a different level now?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Feels very weird that this is over now. Guess I can go back and watch all the sweet matches from the last 5-6 years!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
That was a decent G1 final, solid and enjoyable. 3 stars.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

But... but who will tell us that Okada is on a different level now?

I am willing to take on this duty.

Also I want to echo what Rarity said. This has been an amazing experience, and has completely revitalized my love of wrestling.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Okada noooooooo

He does not want to drag his dad down into his inevitable spiral to becoming a purveyor of fine balloons

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
What can you say, incredible finals and they're well positioned for a really great autumn when usually that's a quieter time for the company.

Wonder if third from the top from WK is Ibushi vs Okada in like a Nakamura vs. Ibushi style no titles big match. I would dig the poo poo out of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

What can you say, incredible finals and they're well positioned for a really great autumn when usually that's a quieter time for the company.

Wonder if third from the top from WK is Ibushi vs Okada in like a Nakamura vs. Ibushi style no titles big match. I would dig the poo poo out of that.

Uh... Nakamura/Ibushi at WK9 was for the IC title though? The non-title third from the top match that year was AJ vs Naito (pre-tranquilo version)

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Gaz-L posted:

Uh... Nakamura/Ibushi at WK9 was for the IC title though? The non-title third from the top match that year was AJ vs Naito (pre-tranquilo version)

Woops you're right. I still think it's a good match to book unless they have something special for Okada or are going to do the Jay White match (which is fine but not as good imho).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/EvanDeadlySinsW/status/1028557641516232704

Thought this was a good graphic, ticket sales for G1 have increased by 21000 since 2015. That seems good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Clearly Nakamura and Styles were holding them back :v:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

forkboy84 posted:

Thought this was a good graphic, ticket sales for G1 have increased by 21000 since 2015. That seems good.

I really hope they do Budokan again next year. Sumo Hall rules but these last three days had such a cool aura.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know I've posted this before, but I really like how neatly the little promo video they did for Tana before the tournament started tells the whole story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-tV6CiQqQ

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Decided to catch the finals on delay and somehow managed to stay un-spoiled so I'd just like to give my thoughts.

Tanahashi, when I first started watching a couple months ago, seemed like the kind of guy who was excellent in the ring during his prime but was getting on in years so was starting to rely on his even better storytelling and years long connection with the fans. Not necessarily my kind of wrestler but his cheesy dad antics still made me smile pretty easily. Certain matches of the G1 27 I thought "drat Tanahashi's great, I need to at some point go back to when he wasn't nursing a dozen lingering injuries and Okada hadn't taken his position as Ace yet." Even throughout this G1 I was starting to think "Alright Tana's clearly not on his way out, I'll give him his props for still being this good." But after that final match (and this is obviously taking nothing away from Ibushi because holy hell what a performance from him as well) I would like to change my stance officially:

GO! ACE!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
https://twitter.com/kyobashi_/status/1028515744890249216

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Tagging with Tanahashi seems like a good way to get pinned a lot.

YOSHI-HASHI can be Captain New Japan Reborn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

forkboy84 posted:

Run the Osaka Dome, Harold. DO IT, HAROLD. RUN THE OSAKA DOME, HAROLD.

• Locked thread