Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Now that I'm finally caught up in time to possibly fall asleep in the middle of the undercard tag matches, I'd just like to say

I breathe with the Switchblade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Jay's performance here is absolutely masterful, I legitimately cannot wait for tomorrow

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

THE TAPE IS BACK!!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

That was an easy 5 3/4, publish it Dave.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

On the one hand, I hope this G1 isn't just all of Zack's opponents from the NJC getting their wins back, but also

Rarity posted:

SANADA rules

soooo....

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Carlioo posted:

This match loving ruled

Having just recently watched the NJC, vs Sanada was I think my favorite of Zack's run, they have extremely good chemistry together.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I really hope Juice's story for the rest of the year is he has to defend the US belt like every 2 weeks.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

dordreff posted:

Firing Squad in general and Tama in particular are really seeming honestly pathetic with this booking, like they're completely incapable of winning on their own and they can't even get cheating right

Yeah I don't have a problem with this storyline in theory, the Tongans trying to wreak havoc and ruin the G1 for Kenny and Page specifically, but they're just kind of ineffective at it so far. It's kinda weird.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

p. good match

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Draxion posted:

Tama Tonga is very fast and moves in the ring in a way almost nobody else does in New Japan, which I think makes him fun to watch when he actually goes and wrestles for 10-15 minutes instead of having interference. I wouldn't call him excellent but he is pretty good whenever he actually wrestles other fast people.

This is more or less how I feel. I've been kind of confused every time someone trashes his matches, thinking "Am... I supposed to not enjoy this? Because he's pretty good from what I can see." Like sure I get why the only gold he's ever held has been as a tag team, but still, none of his G1 matches from last year ever screamed "terrible worker" at me.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

I've been watching since Wrestle Kingdom and I've never really found Yano that entertaining but his performance so far has been inspiring

Highly recommend his matches with Kenny and SANADA from last year's G1.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

VJeff posted:

So, after 6 nights, who's your tourney MVP so far?

Jay White for sure, guy's definitely gotten the feel of his character after pretty visibly having no idea what to do with it at the start of the year. The best way I can think to describe him is "vicious, slimy little gently caress" and it's fantastic.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Yoshi-Hashi should be eating pins for Goto and Ishii in the tag matches instead of R3K honestly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Benne posted:

G1 participants don't eat pins in these matches

Yeah I know, so that only leaves one solution.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

"The theme of this G1 for Yoshi-Hashi is... disappointment. And emptiness."

loving ruthless, kevin

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

wtf he didn't put the apron back up, Jay's gotten much cheekier since that Okada match.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

definitely felt too short; i wanted more torturing/teaching a punk a lesson, but hey, still alright.

Wouldn't make much sense to pull a Juice from last year on the kid, valiant underdog slimeball heel isn't a very compelling story. Since, y'know, Jay's winning the next 5 straight. Obviously.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

No Immigrant Song with Makabe in the main event. This show has disappointed yet again.

They don't bother dubbing it over in the post-match interviews so I bet you'll be able to hear it during Page or Tana's when they put it up.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

If Okada starts coming out dressed like Juice is when we'll need to be worried, I think.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Thauros posted:

next B block show looks solid while friday's A block night might be the weakest night of the tour on paper

I bet EVIL/Elgin and Suzuki/Page will be pretty good but the rest of them I'm not expecting much out of. Maybe a main event will get Yoshi as motivated as he was tonight and it won't just be a 12 minute Okada win that never leaves first gear, but who knows.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Top Matches: Goto vs Ishii, Naito vs Omega, SANADA vs ZSJ, Goto vs Omega, Okada vs White
Can't really decide on an order for these. B Block is the one to watch this year for sure though.

MVPS:
1 - Jay White. The Suzuki match may have been underwhelming from a pure match quality standpoint but everything else Jay's been doing so far has been fantastic.
2 - Hirooki Goto. Kinda not much to say about Goto. He's putting in the kind of work you expect out of him, but since his first opponents included Omega and Ishii you naturally expect kind of a lot, and so that's been met.
3 - Tomohiro Ishii. Same as Goto, really. Plus that Yano match was fun.
4 - Kenny Omega. Fractured heel seems like the kind of thing that could be pretty badly exacerbated by the type of style Kenny wrestles but until I heard about that I couldn't tell anything was different, so good on him. Amazing matches against Naito and Goto.
5 - Juice Robinson. Guy's best weapon is unavailable, so he's losing. It makes sense. Just because he's a champion doesn't mean he's guaranteed to win despite a broken hand. Still, as a storyline he's making it very compelling. Those post-match interviews with Juice (and Finlay every other night) make me wonder how Triple H let him get away because he's loving great.

Predictions:
Juice racks up a bunch of title defenses. I have to assume the easy plan here is to give up a bunch of losses in the G1, and then once his hand is better he manages to prove he deserves the title by defending it a bunch of times against all the guys who want a shot (so probably everybody but Naito and Omega). Would kind of suck for Juice to lose like crazy in the G1 and immediately drop his first championship with 0 defenses.
Naito wins his 3rd G1. There's a hundred ways it could go down but my current theory is Naito quietly (or as quietly as possible for the most popular guy in the company) keeps pace with Omega and Ibushi and whatever their result on night 18 it ends up with Naito getting the spot in the finals a la Goto from 2 years ago. For A Block I can only really see Okada or White in the finals, though either works. He then finally gets his big WK title win against Omega next year.
Firing Squad continues to do nothing of significance. Maybe Gedo's just hesitant to gently caress up a prestigious tournament that a lot of people view as their favorite part of the New Japan calendar by having all these DQs and interference spots actually affect the results in a meaningful way, which is understandable, but they aren't even really doing post-match beatdowns, there's basically no consequences to any of what they've been doing. Kind of a shame but OTOH, gently caress 'em.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

C-BLOCK GONNA STEAL THE SHOW

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if 3 days off has made Okada any less (or more) weird

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Look at this intra-stable violence. CHAOS is in shambles!

Switchblade's plan is working flawlessly, clearly

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

c'mon tama just tell tanga loa to get in and punch naito as soon as the bell rings that's probably where things are going anyway you might as well save us the 8 minutes of foreplay

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I love that Rocky apparently has heat with every main eventer in the locker room, including the ones in his own stable

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I hope every strike Ishii lands knocks Zack flat on his rear end because that's such a good visual

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

ROLL THIS MOTHERFUCKER UP, JUICE

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

t

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know that I would call Juice's current gimmick "clean"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Shoenin posted:

ehhh the show has been missing something, but its been enjoyable for me so far.

The crowd was pretty dead for a lot of Juice/Kenny, even for a Japanese crowd, but man are they here for their boy (and mine), SANADA

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think it's possible for B block to have a bad night this year, good lord.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

idk I feel like considering we aren't even halfway done it's a bit early to start calling this one as that severe a drop off from last year. One off night and a handful of bad Tama and Fale matches aren't enough to ruin it for me.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

Is Okada still weird?

If so, I think he should be called "Weird Okada" until he stops

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

They know SANADA is like the loving man and should be pushed to the moon, right? They must know this? My love for him grows with every show.

Unless he and EVIL decide to bounce to another company or somehow lose all their luster I feel like it's almost a crime if one of them never manages to grab the Heavyweight title. I'm sure both will rack up some IC and NEVER wins and they're reeeeal careful about who gets their name put on those sideplates these days but they're both just so good. The pop (and announcers freaking out) last year when EVIL pinned Okada was amazing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

That reminded me I needed to go watch those. Apparently today (27th) is Hangman Page's birthday and EVIL is going to give him "the best birthday present ever" during the show. How sweet!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Tonfa posted:

Juice talks good but he's not magnetic like a Naito or Hiromu

If he were just doing his normal fun rambling promos where he talks about partying after the show or how much heart he's gonna bring to tomorrow's match, then yeah I'd agree with you. These G1 promos have such sheer emotion behind them that I think he's closing that gap quite a bit.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

holy poo poo he actually hit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

god EVIL's theme is so good

• Locked thread