Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am very excited for my first G1. It's kind of mad how much wrestling I am going to be watching and I wonder how many undercard tag matches I will sit through before deciding to only watch tournament matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

God loving damnit summer time clock poo poo I thought it was going to start now but it's in 45 mins instead. I'll have even less time to catch the important matches :argh:

Glad I'm not the only idiot who got up earlier than I needed to because I didn't notice it said GMT instead of BST on the website (I'm pretty sure they have been good at having times up in BST before now so I'm just going to assume that they did and therefore it's not my fault I missed something so staggeringly obvious)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Carlioo posted:

Why couldn't Jado wrestle anyway? Back issues?

He shouts cocksucker too often (I think it was a knee injury)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

These loving Dorks have no business being in the ring with GoD

Uh, I think you'll find that Juice is amazing actually

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

ZSJ is great, and I'm sorry I underestimated him when I first saw him.

I first saw in him in the Cruiserweight Classic and I liked what he did but he also seems to have gotten a lot better since then. Like, a lot. He really has benefited from being around Suzuki. And also his post-fight promos have been enjoyable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I wish Ibushi had been shouting,"I'M HERE BUT I'M NOT OFFICIALLY A MEMBER OF THE TEAM!" as he ran to the rescue.

Poor Kota, it's impossible to avoid Bullet Club bullshit when you hang with Kenny. Hard luck kid.

Definitely didn't expect to see a DQ happen.

I do however expect EVIL to be cool as hell. As always.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I really love that they included all those cool-rear end Suzuki Okada in the rain photos on his entrance video. They are just some of the best wrestling photos.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Poor Despy. But he should know better than that.

Bout to get perverted in here. G1 has been very good already.

My one worry is I picked Jay White & so far my predictions have been pretty poor. I'm 1-3. I predicted nothing except Yoshi-Hashi losing, which is good as predicting nothing at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

How's the show been so far? I actually did wake up early, be if I put the TV my kids so would also decide to wake up at 5:30AM.

Every tournament match is worth watching. Even Makabe Yoshi-Hashi had a hot finishing sequence.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Christ. 4 hours sleep but I am here. To watch Big Mike & Adam Page.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Someone tell Hangman that he doesn't need to do an apron shooting star press in the opening Young Lion tag match, please?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This is the true main event

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The crowd is always so excited when Ibushi throws his shirt at them. :3:

It's going to have Ibushi sweat on it, don't pretend you'd not be excited as all hell

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The thing that makes Zack so good to watch is at least in New Japan is pretty unique. He can beat anyone with his gameplan, but if he gets caught in a striking exchange he's going to lose 9/10 times. It's a really interesting spin on the standard 2 big hosses hossing off, he's a small guy who is all brains and no brawn. Refreshing.

Also it helps he's definitely visibly improved in the past 15 months in New Japan. Putting him with Suzuki-gun was real smart.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well the G1 is pretty good eh?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Zack and Taka vs Yano and Jado was a fun little setup match. New Yano vs ZSJ should be right up my alley.

I also enjoyed Kevin Kelly talking about having dinner with Switchblade and he had steak and looked like he really enjoyed cutting it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Is it just me or does Goto's Ushigoroshi look nastier than his GTR finish?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thought for a minute Elgin really was going to suplex him to the outside. Was very scared.

Is it unfair to say this match feels a bit...well, indy? It was mostly the endless pinning combo reversal spot which always seems to just go on too long. Still enjoyable but felt there were a couple of moments which didn't seem earned.

Really thought Page would have won to set up a Never OW title fight and now I've just remembered he already lost that belt so nevermind.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 16, 2018

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Why is this not Taichi? :(

Taichi is obviously just enjoy his time off. He deserves it.

He's sat at Suzukigun HQ with Miho, practicing his singing for our enjoyment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Carlioo posted:

I swear Yoshi has more tape every time I see him

edit: Well that's an... interesting bump

What the gently caress were they thinking? That really was weird and awkward looking and I'm going to blame Yoshi-Hashi.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jay "Not Nakamura" White is going to avenge his Wrestle Kingdom humiliation and give CHAOS a result to cheer about.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ElNarez posted:

I've heard that when Jay White is taking over Chaos everyone will get free knives

Sho is going to side with Switchblade because he is smart. Yoh sticks with Okada because he is a loser. Yano also sides with Switchblade and Ishii sticks with his bud. Okada is left with Yoh, Rocky, Yoshi-Hashi, Jado and Gedo, as they become 21st century Job Squad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I blame Nakamura for this epidemic of dick shots

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So can Jay speak Japanese?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Anything worth watching from today?

I really enjoyed the main event but I'm also totally on the Jay White bandwagon so could be biased. Makabe & Suzuki was also an enjoyably violent brawl

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Interview with Naito translated and Naito brings some heat and also ask the big important questions. Where's Taichi

https://www.njpw1972.com/31430

Favourite part of this is "the professor of the Ibushi Wrestling Research Institute" slam.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ElNarez posted:

is switchblade trying to grow a goatee or has this always been his face

I think the sleazy stubble is what he's going for.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I almost caught up. Yesterday was another predictably good day of wrestling. The pop for Unno DQing Fale was amazing. Switchblade & Elgin was fun. But Page really did come out of his match with Okada like a star. They both did a really good job.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I've fallen behind but I just feel the need to say "wow" to Ishii Ibushi. That poo poo was bonkers. That was proper feeling like a kid again, edge of the seat stuff, so great.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Saw on Twitter that Tama went after a fan that wasn't a plant. Is there any news about that?

Was that at the end of the Fale match? It did look like he had his hands on the throat of some dude, can only assume the fan said something because he wasn't even near the front row and I can't imagine putting your hands on a fan like that is a very smart idea.

I can't quite believe I finally caught up with the G1 as it's been about since the first week I fell behind. Aside from the Tongans the whole thing has been great fun, though definitely glad I decided to stick to tournament matches. The undercard stuff was fun when I was watching but I'm not sure I've watched wrestling with such regularity in a decade.

Hope Okada is responsible for Switchblade making the final.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tonfa posted:

When the FS shitters try to mess with the King in the final block match the entire Suzukigun should roll out of the back and destroy them

But only because it's been too long since I've been able to see my beautiful boy Taichi.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yeah the lack of fale and loa have, shock, helped this match in its focus a ton

You cursed it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

New Japan referees need to get better at positioning

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That would have been a good finish if everything involving Firing Squad hadn't involved interference but nope, just a damp squib ending to a loving rad match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That was very good but also I'm sad for beautiful SANADA.

AND EVIL HAS HIROMU'S JACKET and I'm really emotional

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Zack Sabre Jr is acting like a bloke out on a Friday night in Camden and it's hilarious to me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And the fun is ruined again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jay White trying to knock the English commentary out every time during the G1 is my favourite of his lovely traits.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Okada was going to win until they took his balloons away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hmmm, now I want the Bullet Club OGs to interfere though?

• Locked thread