Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Still getting caught up(starting the 7/21 show in a bit) but so far ZSJ/YTR and Okada/Hangman are the real standout matches for me. Tana/Switchblade also gets a nod now that I think about it. The misadventures of the Tongans is a helluva story but I hope they murder Red Shoes because gently caress that ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

He's been one of the MVPs of the tournament, his matches with Goto, ZSJ and Ibushi were all great and his Tama match wasn't as horrible as other Tama matches have been. He's still got his marquee matches with Omega and Naito to come too.

the ZSJ match was really cool where both guys blew out their arms with scarf chokes then tried to punch each other. I loved his match against Tama because he straight outwrestled all the heel tactics.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just getting to the 27th show and even the promo video announcer is kinda like "main event YOSHI HASHI wtf?"

the G-1 rules

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Desert Punk posted:

PCO should've been in the G1

last I saw of that dude was getting a car battery installed in his chest, I don't think he's getting past customs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its almost as if they're keeping the dumb gaijin on the roster just to dunk on him *chinscratch emoji*

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TriffTshngo posted:

I've been trying to figure out what the gently caress the plan is for Weird Okada but I honestly can't even imagine.

he wins the title, balloons fall on all the fans but they're filled with sarin nerve gas, Okada laughs as everyone dies(he's impervious from repeated exposure).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

He got robbed against Tanahashi, that's for sure. shoulder was up and everything.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Inoki put his hands on fans all the time. Tama's just following tradition.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bruiser Brody, et al, used to make a game out of completely displacing entire audiences. Unless Tama grieviously injured a yakuza/government official/etc, there will be no blowback.

I figured they're more pissed at Jay White for loving up broadcast equipment and throwing young boys into the crowd.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

EVIL is cool as hell and I'm bummed we won't get EVIL vs Ishii in the finals.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They should just bring Rush over for a tour and let him do what he does in Mexico TBH

Rush has said he's not going to do long term japan tours, if I remember my Informa transcripts correctly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Suplex Liberace posted:

Did Tama claim he was a war vet? Is he?

Old but he was active as a mechanic in Germany during Afghanistan and Iraq. Scuttlebutt is part of his jacket is redacted but that might be wishful thinking.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just saw the Ibushi/Naito match. Multiple attempts at murder.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

Kenny broke the Dave Scale again

Omega/Ishii *****1/2
Ibushi/Naito ****3/4

These scores are backwards imo. Omega/Ishii was a whole drat battle but it wasn't on the level of Ibushi/Naito. Ibushi/Naito did poo poo that would cripple normal humans.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hangman Page has been a real standout this year's G-1. He hasn't been featured heavily as a NJPW singles guy so this has been a real treat for me. He wrestles that oldschool Jericho/Benoit style that I loved watching. I'd drop the moonsault pin attack tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nagata's Last Stand was some heavy poo poo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Naito/Ibushi match had callbacks to their CEO match, which I liked.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

how did Ibushi win this block? I thought he tied?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

He was in a 4-way tie with 3 people he beat, ergo he wins the tiebreaker.

ah thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, the wrestling now is the best I've seen since those Misawa/Kawada matches in the 90s or the Flair/Steamboat matches in the 80s, both of which also coincidentally "broke" the rating system.

Plus, as others keep mentioning, he doesn't just give a rating without context, he writes lengthy explanations of why the match was great/terrible.

most nonsubscribers see is the stars. So its easy for people that don't have access to think he's just Leonard Maltin-ing it.

• Locked thread