Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
When I saw this the only other people in the theater were a group of 5-6 people easily over 60 years old that all came together. They stayed and laughed the whole way. I shoulda asked them what the hell was going on, movie club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
my screening was entirely old white people, and I saw it the Saturday night of opening weekend in Chicago

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The theater I saw it in was sold out at 7PM on a Monday, but this was in Brooklyn.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
just saw the movie with the wife and we both loved it

not a perfect film for all the reasons mentioned earlier, but a wonderful breath of fresh air

i'm glad that the final message was that fitting in is not enough, you have to kill your boss. fantastic

theater was decently full, saw it at the mayan in denver, lots of audience laughter throughout. had me lol'in regularly

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

been waiting to see this for weeks so i could get my entire social circle to see it together. i've been in call centers and customer service all my life and have been super excited to see this; my friends are in software at The Big Companies and make about five times what i do

i was finally able to wrangle them together last night and we agreed to go see it tonight, but they just decided at the last minute to bump it forward a few hours while i'm working

this is why revolutions happen

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The art performance and the rap scene are both about the futility of “subversive” art/art for arts sake as opposed to actual organizing and direct action, it’s something Riley has talked about before.

Movie was good.

E: I was curious how conservative media was taking the movie and uhh this free beacon review is .....interesting

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 13, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

themrguy posted:

E: I was curious how conservative media was taking the movie and uhh this free beacon review is .....interesting

hahaha

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
my Pilot G-2 07

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

themrguy posted:

I desperately want to call this man sonny bunches of scrotes and then give him a wedgie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/michaelarria/status/1028485361301897218

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

themrguy posted:

The art performance and the rap scene are both about the futility of “subversive” art/art for arts sake as opposed to actual organizing and direct action, it’s something Riley has talked about before.

I don't really see it?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't really see it?

There was no difference between the game show and Detroit's performance piece or Cash's rap. It's all about debasing yourself for an audience.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Young Freud posted:

There was no difference between the game show and Detroit's performance piece or Cash's rap. It's all about debasing yourself for an audience.

Yup. It's every bit the commercial transaction that everything else is. Detroit's art is still a commodity to be sold, so she needs to market it to wealthy white people.

Cash's rap is the best scene in the movie for me, because of how well it works as commentary. Regardless of how hard Cash works or how skilled he is at his job, his race is inescapably what makes him a commodity to those people. He can never be "one of them," merely a useful tool or an interesting curiosity. His rap is literally about nothing, has no content, but it sounds no different to that audience from any other rap so they're still into it.

In general, the movie does a great job highlighting how anything and everything becomes a commodity under capitalism. Art, race, culture, human suffering...whatever.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xealot posted:

Yup. It's every bit the commercial transaction that everything else is. Detroit's art is still a commodity to be sold, so she needs to market it to wealthy white people.

Cash's rap is the best scene in the movie for me, because of how well it works as commentary. Regardless of how hard Cash works or how skilled he is at his job, his race is inescapably what makes him a commodity to those people. He can never be "one of them," merely a useful tool or an interesting curiosity. His rap is literally about nothing, has no content, but it sounds no different to that audience from any other rap so they're still into it.

In general, the movie does a great job highlighting how anything and everything becomes a commodity under capitalism. Art, race, culture, human suffering...whatever.

Even the culture jamming stuff Detroit does under Left Eye is seen later in Lift's home, just an ordinary item for him like the rhino head that took two AK magazines and the naked women making out. All playthings for the super wealthy.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i found the rap to scene to particularly prescient because its prefaced by cash saying he's a good "rap listener," meaning its the words and message that resonate most to him. so when he's forced to perform he has to sacrifice the aspect he most appreciates in order to fit in.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Just got back from it.

It didn't really work for me, I think because all the characters kept flipping back and forth between behaving like actual people and behaving like moon logic magic realism people. I didn't really care about or empathize with any of them.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Would just like to say that this could have been titled after Pedro Costa’s Horse Money and it would still make sense.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

AH I saw this movie too late and hope I'm not bumping a dead thread, but I really enjoyed it. Being good at listening to rap was a brilliant line.

One weird thing- the part that I found funniest almost no one else in the theater laughed at. When Cassius is meeting with the billionaire dude near the end and sees the horse people and the billionaire says something like, "Yes, I had to turn people into horses because it would make me more money. See? that's why I wanted to explain everything to you first, otherwise you would think it was weird or something". I thought it was hilarious and it was way too believable that this dude would have a moral structure that was entirely based on whether or not something made him money I died at that part and wondered how everyone else felt about it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Stealth Tiger posted:

One weird thing- the part that I found funniest almost no one else in the theater laughed at. When Cassius is meeting with the billionaire dude near the end and sees the horse people and the billionaire says something like, "Yes, I had to turn people into horses because it would make me more money. See? that's why I wanted to explain everything to you first, otherwise you would think it was weird or something". I thought it was hilarious and it was way too believable that this dude would have a moral structure that was entirely based on whether or not something made him money I died at that part and wondered how everyone else felt about it.

I don't know if anyone audibly laughed in my screening, but I get it. Of course that guy would see this as a justification. His intro doing the longest line ever loving killed, though.

Weirdly, the moment you point out reminds me of a moment from the John Cusack rom-com Grosse Pointe Blank, where he plays a contract killer. "You're a psychopath!" "No, a psychopath kills for no reason; I kill for money! It's a job..."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stealth Tiger posted:

AH I saw this movie too late and hope I'm not bumping a dead thread, but I really enjoyed it. Being good at listening to rap was a brilliant line.

I love that bit. It's what makes the movie. I love that Lift immediately goes with Martin Luther King when describing Cash's leadership role in Equisapien society, instead of, you know, Jesus. Also, his answer to why Cash would be turned into a horseperson: "Because you'll have a giant horse cock"

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I know it's not that important but what do people think Mr. _______'s real name is? I mean artistically it would make sense that he isn't intended to have a name and that's its supposed to be ambiguous, but the way it was filmed with the blurred out lips made me think it was a trademarked brand name and they were forced to change it in post.

I found this screen after a quick google search:

and Boots says there are seven underscores. Maybe he's just loving with people by implying that there is a specific 7 letter word but to me it sounds like he's trying to avoid a lawsuit.

themrguy posted:

Mr. Gotcha strikes again! https://thenib.com/mister-gotcha

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wasn't his first name blanked at one point too?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I assumed it was just a joke in the vein of Major —— de Coverley from Catch-22

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I loved the rap part, especially when he stopped trying to rhyme and just say the stuff white people hear when listening to rap.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I loved the rap part, especially when he stopped trying to rhyme and just say the stuff white people hear when listening to rap.

It sits well next to the Orange Lodge scene in Trainspotting 2.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

It sits well next to the Orange Lodge scene in Trainspotting 2.

I forgot about this, but yeah.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Made me think of the Blues Brothers singing Rawhide over and over.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Is there an early draft of the script with a different name for Mr. _______? I assumed it was commentary on the selling of your soul and identity in order to buy into the world of war profiteering and billionaire capitalism. A black man working towards a white supremacist agenda has given up his name and any history as an individual in order to sell out.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It was a good film

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Is there an early draft of the script with a different name for Mr. _______? I assumed it was commentary on the selling of your soul and identity in order to buy into the world of war profiteering and billionaire capitalism. A black man working towards a white supremacist agenda has given up his name and any history as an individual in order to sell out.

Not that I know of. Boots Riley has explicitly stated that his uncensored name references a real person, and the spacing (6? 7?) is the exact amount of letters of the real person's name.

How much of that is real and how much is it having fun on Twitter, that's undecided. He seems pretty sincere about it, though.

:shrug:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It was a good film

Tough but fair. My favourite parts all had to do with the tepidity of the artworld as some revolutionary force. Lift having the sabotaged Worry-Free sign, the ascent of the "Have a cola and smile, bitch," woman, and especially Detroit using her white voice to sell art.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

Not that I know of. Boots Riley has explicitly stated that his uncensored name references a real person, and the spacing (6? 7?) is the exact amount of letters of the real person's name.

How much of that is real and how much is it having fun on Twitter, that's undecided. He seems pretty sincere about it, though.

:shrug:

Mr Powell

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Mr. West

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. K. West

7 letters. Checks out.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Just saw this. While I'd heard quite a bit about how weird it is, the turn it took about 2/3rds of the way in still threw me for a loop. It almost lost me for a minute, but everything gets tied back together pretty quickly. I loved it.

As for the ending, the last scene might actually be my favorite turn in the movie, and left me feeling weirdly inspired. Like other people have said, it's a lot more common to see safe liberal pablum sold as radical, and although Sorry to Bother You is inarguably bolder than that from the beginning, the place it seemed to be leaving off felt a little bit too cautious. And then we get the post-title card scene and a full on horse-person revolution. Boots isn't a social-democrat, he's a communist, and I think it's pretty clear at the end where he thinks things are heading.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having just rewatched this, yeah gently caress, this is still my movie of the year. Mandy takes a close second, but gently caress me is this the movie everyone in America should be watching because it's just so loving raw, real, and frankly, not talking down to people in a way we need fighting forward.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Having just rewatched this, yeah gently caress, this is still my movie of the year. Mandy takes a close second, but gently caress me is this the movie everyone in America should be watching because it's just so loving raw, real, and frankly, not talking down to people in a way we need fighting forward.

Check out Assassination Nation if you haven't yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm going to get the Blu-ray of this when it comes out next week, but part of me is cautious that they'll put out some special edition soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The movie is out in digital on iTunes now by the way, if anyone missed it in theaters. Looks like it's got a directors commentary and some other things.