Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's even better if you saw a preview because it's pitched as a fairly generic comedy, it's great :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
They keep playing the NPR interview with Riley, focusing entirely on the white voice aspect and telemarketing; I hope it gets more asses in seats without any spoilers. Eyepatch guy is the perfect devil's right hand man, moving Cassius subtly towards his fate.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

this movie feels like explaining a nightmare to someone

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

i like how voluntary life-long feudal servitude is a sadly possible concept that I'm sure plenty of people are already on board with. It's not so outlandish that it's unrealistic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Verisimilidude posted:

i like how voluntary life-long feudal servitude is a sadly possible concept that I'm sure plenty of people are already on board with. It's not so outlandish that it's unrealistic.

The real tell was his uncle saying he's thinking about joining. Because capitalists irl are salivating at making life so lovely people turn to that kind of job. Also the world isnt saved at the end, Boots is very cynical.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the complete lack of personal space would scare away most people, but if you gave them all 100 square foot apartments people would probably go for it in droves. :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just spent 6 months in jail in a 10x10x10 cell with a roommate, poo poo sucks. The real killer is the bad bed and lack of free time to wander around outside though. I missed sunsets quite a bit.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Saw the movie Saturday after having it hyped for months and can say I was....somewhat disappointed.

The last third of the movie wasn't nearly weird enough to justify how pedestrian the first 2/3 was, while the first 2/3 wasn't weird enough to justify how weird the last 1/3 got. (Does that make sense?)

I felt like the beginning just skated the edges of magical realism when I wanted it to go all in. Instead I got a retread of the much funnier and enjoyable Hollywood Shuffle. Then when it hit the party, I was excited. The horse-people showed up and I expected it to go balls out. Except.....it didn't. It just didn't really do much with its own premise that it just introduced. Given how pat and and sudden the resolution to the strike storyline was, I expected a Brazil-esque ending (everything after him being knocked out by the cop being a escape dream), but no. The horse people rebelling and raiding Armie Hammer's home is the 3rd act I want, not a stinger scene.

It felt like there was a good 20-25 minutes that could easily be excised/reworked in the middle of the film. The time passing in the story was inconsistent and weird (and it seemed more like an oversight than on purpose).

I realized that kinda makes it sound like I hated it, but I didn't. All the performances were great, and the whole thing shows great promise. It just felt like the movie was holding itself back the entire time, even after it tried to indicate "We're no longer going to hold back". I definitely am interested in seeing what Boots Riley does next.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Movie was great. I was one of those lucky enough to go in almost completely blind. Really loved how the magical realism was a subtle component at first and then uses that setting to set up the horseman reveal. Which totally shocked me out of my typical movie going mindset, which I think is the intention. Leaves you more receptive to the message of the film. Probably going back in because this movie has to be a totally different experience on 2nd viewing.

Also need to re-watch The Last Dragon. Excellent reference.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Yea saw a trailer but otherwise went in blind. I liked how unconventional it was, a lot of non-sequitars like the shots of the earrings that kind of fade out to nowhere ... loved it.

In it's own way, reminded me of Repo Man, Better Off Dead, or Scorsese's After Hours, kind of all over the place but it's good and doesn't matter. It's a smart film that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 18, 2018

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It reminded me a ton of Schizopolis honestly. Just not..as good. But to be fair Soderbergh hasn't done anything nearly as good since that (unsane anyone??? blehrghh) and I think Boots Riley will make tighter and tighter stuff and I'm looking forward to it. I need more people I know to see it so I can discuss it..I'm also in the liked and disliked it camp pretty much for all the reasons Brocktoon mentioned. I'm still thinking about the film though days later which is the sign it was at least interesting if not sucessful in what it sets out for.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Also need to re-watch The Last Dragon. Excellent reference.
Haha yes, that floored me. Nobody has seen that film. It's such a funny weir deep cut.

Anyways, saw this last night and loved it, although I agree with a lot of what people are saying about the last third being a little deflated and maybe not as insane or whatever as it might've been. The whole movie has a sort of defeated kind of energy, and I'm not really sure how I feel about that. My initial reaction is somewhat negative, like "if this were cut together with a little more momentum and energy it would land a lot better," but there's also a part of me saying "this movie just has a different kind of energy from what you'd expect in a film like this, and you just need to start vibing on this movie's wavelength and then it'll all gel." I don't know how to sort it out without watching it again, maybe a couple more times or something, or maybe at least meditating on it for a while.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I used to think Italians weren't white too so I felt that dude's pain when he said it at the bar and his buddy started to clown on him.

I went to school with a couple of dark skinned Sicilians so I assumed that Italians and Spaniards were like Mexicans and Sicilians, only a lighter shade of brown. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that "white" is a social construct and the term is a sliding scale based more on socioeconomic factors than actual skin color.

sosorry
Jul 8, 2018
I enjoyed how ugly Boots made sex out to be. I saw this movie as a personal bio for the man. Afterwards you know exactly who wrote and directed the film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This was absolutely fantastic. Brimming with fire and charm and inventiveness in every scene. A perfect encapsulation and condemnation to the millenial experience of late stage capitalism and the morality of careerism. It also spoke to me pretty deeply about some of my own troubled feelings about working in a high-paying industry that often has some ethical blindspots. I'd heard it was a sci-fi movie that went off the rails in the third act, but tried to keep myself away from any real details about how. I was surprised at how quickly it came out of the gate with its magical realism rather than ramping up to it like a more standard film might, but I love how hard it went while not calling attention to it all. I could see how the equisapien stuff could turn some viewers off, but it was extremely my jam.

It wasn't perfect, though. The whole thing reaaally dragged in the third act, the big plan to fix the problem in the climax didn't feel particularly earned or properly set up, and Tessa Thompson's character was wasted in the second half. She was set up to be a really interesting and central revolutionary figure, but in the end she just kinda turned into another woman who helps to inspire the men in their lives to take action and become leaders. But outside of all that, just terrific.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 20, 2018

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Jerkface posted:

I had only seen the initial trailer, which plays up the telemarketing aspect, and I had read some tweets by the cast/crew that this was a radical anti-capitalist film, but I was unprepared for just how direct and to the point the message is. Steven Yuen's character straight up saying they do the work, they make the profits, they should have dignity was cool and at the end when Cassius kicks in the door and screams I was hype.

Yeah none of it was groundbreaking, but I've never seen it presented so straightforwardly. Usually characters espousing these things are radicals or revolutionaries, at best dreamers/idealists and at worst, just crazy. Yeun's character was a guy at a call center trying to get his coworkers a living wage.

I thought it was going to be a workplace comedy with a little bit of magical realism lol

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Just got out of the theater and I loved every minute of it. The combination of unsubtle sociopolitical morality tales with Troma-esque body horror is extremely my jam, and I'm always down for a movie that prioritizes creativity and storytelling (even if it means sacrificing pacing or editing). It's the same reason I loved mother! even though it is objectively not great.

I have a question, though. Was Detroit putting on her own white voice during The Last Dragon act? To clarify, the weird, fakey, seemingly-dubbed, faux-Brit Madonna accent. What're your thoughts on that?

Low-key humblebrag, I got a chance to meet Boots Riley a few weeks ago and he is the chillest, nicest dude and he will explain to you the pins on his jacket at length if you ask him about them.

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 21, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I have a question, though. Was Detroit putting on her own white voice during The Last Dragon act? To clarify, the weird, fakey, seemingly-dubbed, faux-Brit Madonna accent. What're your thoughts on that?

Yeah, that's Lily James, actual Brit.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, that's Lily James, actual Brit.

I'm from Texas and all British accents sound fake.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I enjoyed the movie as a whole. I left the theater a little depressed though. Probably too wishful of me to want something more uplifting considering the cynicism.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I'm from Texas and all British accents sound fake.

In fairness, she's not doing her normal accent but playing it up.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
It feels like there are a million things pulling in completely different directions running through this movie, but in a way I kinda liked that. It reminded me of the bewildering, accelerating insanity that seems to characterize politics and society these days. However I do agree that the pacing could have been better. Also, some threads just seemed to end without satisfactory exploration, like life at Worry Free, and that jungle fever middle manager (just two examples off the top of my head).

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

ruddiger posted:

I used to think Italians weren't white too so I felt that dude's pain when he said it at the bar and his buddy started to clown on him.

I went to school with a couple of dark skinned Sicilians so I assumed that Italians and Spaniards were like Mexicans and Sicilians, only a lighter shade of brown. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that "white" is a social construct and the term is a sliding scale based more on socioeconomic factors than actual skin color.

I feel you. And this actually made teaching Rebel Without a Cause a little hard for me this year because 18 and 19 year olds don't intuitively read Plato as a minority. Or the ones that do end up reading him as either black or latino.

I just got back from seeing this and I am blown away. This might be the best anti-capitalist movie I've seen. I've never had a bodily reaction to film like this either. The whole way home I felt like I hadn't eaten all day.

My wife and I had a funny interaction on the way home where she scratched my head and said she was proud of her union man and I laughed and said I felt like I wasn't doing enough. Really glad to see such an openly pro-union film.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Holy poo poo, what a movie. Easily my favorite movie of the year so far. I know it's unlikely but I'd love to see it get some Oscar nominations.

feedmyleg posted:

It wasn't perfect, though. The whole thing reaaally dragged in the third act, the big plan to fix the problem in the climax didn't feel particularly earned or properly set up, and Tessa Thompson's character was wasted in the second half. She was set up to be a really interesting and central revolutionary figure, but in the end she just kinda turned into another woman who helps to inspire the men in their lives to take action and become leaders. But outside of all that, just terrific.

Yeah, that's my only real complaint, most of the female characters were just there to propel the plot and didn't have much growth or any real standout moments. I will admit Diana DeBauchery is a great name.

ghost emoji fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 22, 2018

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I had no idea about anything past the first act and it was awesome.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Goddamn, this ruled. Went in totally blind. Saw it in a full theater, and that enhanced what's already a good movie. I doubt anything else I see this year will be crazier or more fun--or, needless to say, as pro-union and anti-capitalist.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I liked this movie. Really enjoyed that one PR/HR lady and wish she had more screentime.

I thought Steve Yeun was going to be a plant after the rich owner guy explained the concept to Cassius, what with the sleeping with his girlfriend (THEY WERE ON A BREAK) and all, but nope.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
No one's mentioned the windshield wiper scene yet... That felt like the emotional core of the film to me, and a solid rebuttal to Cassius's sun-exploding ennui that's brought up throughout the film. (Funnily enough, Cassius's pleas of "who will remember me" are also answered in the most cynical capitalist way possible when he becomes immortalized as coke can head man.)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I saw this yesterday and really like it.

Great advertising, because the last act was very surprising. I thought his head injury might be what caused the equisapiens to show up, but I'm kind of glad they just went with it. Wasn't expecting the ending either. There were some parts that fell flat, but overall a good film. Can't wait to see what Riley makes next. I also wish Tessa Thompson's character was more important to the plot.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Got to see this last week with a talk-back from Patton Oswalt (which was fun, but I had a lot of questions I would have loved to ask Boots Riley rather than watching nerds ask Patton about Batman and poo poo). Big and messy in a fun way. Some of the plot threads never really resolve, or come together hastily, but I'm not sure there was a way to wrap everything up neatly that wouldn't have seemed trite. As a big fan of The Coup I got to play 'spot the song reference' scene-to-scene, and the last time I reacted to something like I did the first equisapien falling out of the bathroom stall was the man behind the restaurant in Mulholland Drive.

Kaedric posted:

I thought Steve Yeun was going to be a plant after the rich owner guy explained the concept to Cassius

Are we sure he wasn't? He goes from town to town solving trouble after all. And it's only after Cassius gets involved at the end that the workers actually see any success. I'm not saying he was, but I think it's hinted at enough to be intentionally ambiguous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chainsawdomy posted:

Got to see this last week with a talk-back from Patton Oswalt (which was fun, but I had a lot of questions I would have loved to ask Boots Riley rather than watching nerds ask Patton about Batman and poo poo). Big and messy in a fun way. Some of the plot threads never really resolve, or come together hastily, but I'm not sure there was a way to wrap everything up neatly that wouldn't have seemed trite. As a big fan of The Coup I got to play 'spot the song reference' scene-to-scene, and the last time I reacted to something like I did the first equisapien falling out of the bathroom stall was the man behind the restaurant in Mulholland Drive.

Are we sure he wasn't? He goes from town to town solving trouble after all. And it's only after Cassius gets involved at the end that the workers actually see any success. I'm not saying he was, but I think it's hinted at enough to be intentionally ambiguous.

He is for-sure intended as a parallel to the intended equisapian Martin Luther King Jr., though I don't think he's explicitly linked to WorryFree.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chainsawdomy posted:

Got to see this last week with a talk-back from Patton Oswalt (which was fun, but I had a lot of questions I would have loved to ask Boots Riley rather than watching nerds ask Patton about Batman and poo poo).

I hate Q&As for this very reason.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I've heard here and elsewhere about the movie being a bleak or cynical outlook on efforts to confront problems and effect change, but the segment of this interview with DN more suggests an optimism on the part of Boots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCPvMNKvhE&t=769s

tl;dw : People confronted with socioeconomic problems may want them to change but feel too small to do it themselves, so they don't respond, but it's not utter apathy. His optimism is that displays of solidarity movements like within movie reaching mainstream audiences may help to grow them to the point where people feel that there's something to be done.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kaedric posted:

I thought Steve Yeun was going to be a plant after the rich owner guy explained the concept to Cassius, what with the sleeping with his girlfriend (THEY WERE ON A BREAK) and all, but nope.

Franchescanado posted:

He is for-sure intended as a parallel to the intended equisapian Martin Luther King Jr., though I don't think he's explicitly linked to WorryFree.

I actually saw him as a parallel to Ron Leibman's character in Norma Rae. He's another character that travels from place to place showing workplaces how to organize into unions and gets into a romantic triangle with the female lead. Plus they namedrop the movie in the first conversation between Squeeze and Detroit.

Anyway, this movie is outstanding.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Armie Hammer's character should've just had the man's name.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Well that was something

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Tbh the most damning satire this movie deploys is that Detroit was using a white voice throughout her whole show, including the bizarre performance art piece

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Tbh the most damning satire this movie deploys is that Detroit was using a white voice throughout her whole show, including the bizarre performance art piece

Yeah, this was one of my favorite bits. Even though the film presents her as a "moral" person in regards to exploitation and fighting the systems of oppression, Cassius's shoulder angel, she has to use not only a white voice for her show to be a success, but an aristocratic bougie British voice, despite her show being about Africa. It's kind of up to the viewer to decide where she falls on the scale of 'she's also participating in the system knowingly' or it 'she really is as hypocritical as Cassius tells her she is before their break-up'. Very simple and interesting way to blur the lines more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, this was one of my favorite bits. Even though the film presents her as a "moral" person in regards to exploitation and fighting the systems of oppression, Cassius's shoulder angel, she has to use not only a white voice for her show to be a success, but an aristocratic bougie British voice, despite her show being about Africa. It's kind of up to the viewer to decide where she falls on the scale of 'she's also participating in the system knowingly' or it 'she really is as hypocritical as Cassius tells her she is before their break-up'. Very simple and interesting way to blur the lines more.

My takeaway is that it's not a movie about toppling the system, it's a movie about living in it. Consider Danny Glover's character--he uses the white voice to get by but is 100% with the workers. He's specifically held up as a moral contrast to Cassius; there's no suggestion that he is being hypocritical. Cassius's argument is pretty much bullshit, the lines really aren't all that blurry unless you're willfully refusing to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think my favorite bit in this was the practical effects used when his lovely apartment grows into an expensive apartment, I thought that was really clever.

ruddiger posted:

I forget who says it but "they've been white for like 60 years" made me laugh, it's really true. There was even a ban on Italian immigration because they were seen as gangsters, rapists, and bad hombres