Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chainsawdomy posted:

Got to see this last week with a talk-back from Patton Oswalt (which was fun, but I had a lot of questions I would have loved to ask Boots Riley rather than watching nerds ask Patton about Batman and poo poo). Big and messy in a fun way. Some of the plot threads never really resolve, or come together hastily, but I'm not sure there was a way to wrap everything up neatly that wouldn't have seemed trite. As a big fan of The Coup I got to play 'spot the song reference' scene-to-scene, and the last time I reacted to something like I did the first equisapien falling out of the bathroom stall was the man behind the restaurant in Mulholland Drive.

Are we sure he wasn't? He goes from town to town solving trouble after all. And it's only after Cassius gets involved at the end that the workers actually see any success. I'm not saying he was, but I think it's hinted at enough to be intentionally ambiguous.

He is for-sure intended as a parallel to the intended equisapian Martin Luther King Jr., though I don't think he's explicitly linked to WorryFree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Tbh the most damning satire this movie deploys is that Detroit was using a white voice throughout her whole show, including the bizarre performance art piece

Yeah, this was one of my favorite bits. Even though the film presents her as a "moral" person in regards to exploitation and fighting the systems of oppression, Cassius's shoulder angel, she has to use not only a white voice for her show to be a success, but an aristocratic bougie British voice, despite her show being about Africa. It's kind of up to the viewer to decide where she falls on the scale of 'she's also participating in the system knowingly' or it 'she really is as hypocritical as Cassius tells her she is before their break-up'. Very simple and interesting way to blur the lines more.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, and we get plenty about Worry-Free from dialogue between characters, Steve Lift, the MTV Cribs infomercial and, of course, Michael Gondry's equisapien short.

One of the best gags is that the Michel Gondry parody uses characters referencing his film Human Nature

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cassius's immediate manager was great. I did, however, confuse him as both Seth Morris and then Brett Gelman before realizing he was neither.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Is there an early draft of the script with a different name for Mr. _______? I assumed it was commentary on the selling of your soul and identity in order to buy into the world of war profiteering and billionaire capitalism. A black man working towards a white supremacist agenda has given up his name and any history as an individual in order to sell out.

Not that I know of. Boots Riley has explicitly stated that his uncensored name references a real person, and the spacing (6? 7?) is the exact amount of letters of the real person's name.

How much of that is real and how much is it having fun on Twitter, that's undecided. He seems pretty sincere about it, though.

:shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Having just rewatched this, yeah gently caress, this is still my movie of the year. Mandy takes a close second, but gently caress me is this the movie everyone in America should be watching because it's just so loving raw, real, and frankly, not talking down to people in a way we need fighting forward.

Check out Assassination Nation if you haven't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Peacoffee posted:

To the point where Lift seems annoyed Cassius is mocking them by doing it by the end, like upset that he wasn’t seriously trying but moreso fronting about stereotyping.

I interpreted it as Lift being intrigued and impressed. Cassius doesn't fulfill the challenge put forth--performing an excellent rap--but still manages persevere and win over the crowd with his charm and energy. Which is why he thinks Cassius is perfect for his plan.