Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

wyoming posted:

Half the people you saw this film with have brain worms.

My wife and I actually discussed the possibility of this afterward. Its certainly plausible that, while maybe unintentional, he was sort of tricked/led into fulfilling what Lift wanted. He certainly showed his naivety continually in the film, especially when taking off his black voice at the party. You can see the differences between him and Bleep with the way Bleep doesn't drop his code switching and sits with the white guests, and I think he almost tried to stop Cash at the moment, or motioned a bit during. Even his redacted name is awesome in that context.

All the comparisons between this and Get Out are ridiculous because the racial commentary in Get Out is so hamfisted and shallow, while this is such better satire on things like code switching and share cropping. Hell, capitalism in general. It was weirdly jarring when the "Have a Cola and Smile" line didnt just say the name of a soda brand, but I realized that would have gone against the message. Brilliant movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Yeah, I'd say theres about a 0% chance of anyone predicting the "twist" until the 5 minutes beforehand. It's bonkers, but the writer/director does such a good job leading up to it that I was totally along for the ride.

Also, Forest Whitaker plays the first equisapian. That's... A fact I dont know what to do with.