Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Time to shop daily, shops in walking distance, hydroponics, lots of privilege itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

am i the weird one here? before i got divorced, buying 10-20 bags of groceries for a family of 2 kids, 2 adults and a large dog doesnt seem unusual to stock up for 2 weeks...especially during covid when everyone was home all the time.
Well two weeks instead of one week is a significant difference. If you can't get a week's groceries at once, that's somewhat annoying. If you can't get two week's at once, that doesn't matter much.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So all these companies pointing to AI as the future, citing companies like Amazon using it to track groceries and not needing a cashier as the computer can just figure out what someone picked up. It turns out AI really means a bunch of barely paid people in India watching camera footage and marking what a person bought. The real innovation was finding a way to trick people into accepting outsourcing human face to face interaction
Let's not exaggerate in the other way. It was mostly automated but not enough, as a lot of AI stuff is.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

i am harry posted:

lmfao you mean too broke

This is also an America problem (that has been successfully exported to Northern Europe, I guess)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ham Equity posted:

The Pope, Catholic!

Bears poo poo in the Woods!

drat, if only they used Cabana Cube

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you can extend the fridge life of your produce a lot if you know proper storage methods. some veggies like to be airtight in jars, maybe with a bit of paper towel to wick up moisture, others like to be wrapped loosely in foil to breathe, and so on

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

brap posted:

you can extend the fridge life of your produce a lot if you know proper storage methods. some veggies like to be airtight in jars, maybe with a bit of paper towel to wick up moisture, others like to be wrapped loosely in foil to breathe, and so on

We're not all vegetable wizards, okay?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

brap posted:

i was with you until i had to remember a second type of preservation method and then i was out sorry

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
An AI that will photograph all vegetables I toss in the fridge and tell me how to wrap them. It'll just riff off the top 5 google results and will eventually kill someone but I will have sold the IPO by then.

Give me a billion

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Dylan16807 posted:

Let's not exaggerate in the other way. It was mostly automated but not enough, as a lot of AI stuff is.

Uh, no. From Amazon's own mouth, 700 or 800 out of 1000 transactions had to be manually confirmed, i.e. done by a person, and that figure is just what the system itself caught.

AI is entirely a scam propped up by highly exploited labor from the global south, and I can't see why anyone would see it any other way except for ignorance, malice, or indifference.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mycomancy posted:

Uh, no. From Amazon's own mouth, 700 or 800 out of 1000 transactions had to be manually confirmed, i.e. done by a person, and that figure is just what the system itself caught.

AI is entirely a scam propped up by highly exploited labor from the global south, and I can't see why anyone would see it any other way except for ignorance, malice, or indifference.

the grifters love hyping AI because its the ultimate tool to absolve themselves of any accountability

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

mycomancy posted:

India is north of Equator, and we all know AI stands for "Actually Indians"
But yes, you are correct.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dunno-Lars posted:

India is north of Equator, and we all know AI stands for "Actually Indians"
But yes, you are correct.

The "Global South" is distinct from "Southern Hemisphere" although I agree it's a bit misleading

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

We're not all vegetable wizards, okay?

Me, a vegetable wizard, when someone is trying to take my vegetables

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Me, a vegetable wizard, when someone is trying to take my vegetables

If there's apples it might be prostitutes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If there's apples it might be prostitutes.

It's like apples to lemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dylan16807 posted:

lol