Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The_Franz posted:

It's the Rolling Acres Mall in Akron Ohio, which has since been demolished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zov7PEXdVZk

I knew I should have made my "looks like an amazon warehouse" joke I had no idea that was Rolling Acres but my job is terrified that when it opens they're going to lose employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yes but you see a day in the ICU is 7 grand so technically TECHNICALLY they are losing 4 grand on each dose

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

In a sane country you would ask why the public funding was not contingent to a pre-approved pricing model for something like this. But as we know...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

There's a lot of like "gosh what if ADHD is just [thing]" going around that both completely ignores the actual experience of ADHD people and history and science done regarding it and trivializes the whole thing in the eyes of the public, ultimately resulting in making it harder for people like me to get meds or be taken seriously, so I kinda react a bit hard about stuff like this. I'm sure you didn't intend to do that or anything though so it's all good, and I really appreciate you taking a step back to reconsider and not just doubling down on it, thanks for that :shobon:

actually adhd is heightened battle reflexes

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Alizee posted:

In a sane country you would ask why the public funding was not contingent to a pre-approved pricing model for something like this. But as we know...

no, in a sane country you would be asking why isnt the government providing it instead of a private company

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

duz posted:

no, in a sane country you would be asking why isnt the government providing it instead of a private company

But they are!

quote:

the Trump administration said it had secured nearly all of the company’s supply of the drug for use in U.S. hospitals through September, with a contract for 500,000 treatment courses, which it will make available to hospitals at Gilead’s price.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Disneyland reopening seems like it's going well.

https://twitter.com/unrooolie/status/1281929931417505792

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

i had a random thought the other day that it would be pretty funny if ADHD was the result of a learned response to ignoring advertising gone too far. it's a constant arms race between the viewer, to develop techniques to filter garbage ad content out from "real" content, and the advertiser, to make ad content that is more focus-worthy than "real" content

like in order to accomplish any task or even enjoy most forms of media, you have to filter out reams of information that is actively trying to get in your way. the brain has got to be developing long term strategies to facilitate that, but no filtering system will be foolproof, and an overactive one will be detrimental

There is strong evidence that the uptick in ADHD and autism are both the result of giving tylenol to pregnant women and extremely young children. There's a dose-dependent response curve between tylenol levels in preserved cord blood, and the big increase in population prevalence happens right after aspirin was counterindicated for children due to Reye's syndrome.

This also means that the crazy anti-vaxx parents were actually noticing something real, but when they saw their kid being given MMR and a tylenol, they blamed the wrong drug.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Better living through chemistry and legislation to ban traditional remedies!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

There is strong some evidence that the uptick in ADHD and autism are both the result of could be associated with giving tylenol to pregnant women and extremely young children just before they give birth. There's a dose-dependent response curve between tylenol levels in preserved cord blood, and the big increase in population prevalence happens right after aspirin was counterindicated for children due to Reye's syndrome.

This also means that the crazy anti-vaxx parents were actually noticing something real just crazy and wrong, but when they saw their kid being given MMR and a tylenol, they blamed the wrong drug because neither the MMR vaccine nor giving Tylenol to kids cause autism.

I've fixed a very bad post for you. That first study certainly suggests further study but it in no way suggests that Tylenol causes ADHD or autism. The second one is garbage.

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Jul 12, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde
no it's a real thing pediatricians are more than happy to discuss with you if you're pregnant or a new parent

problem is, it's still less dangerous than ibuprofen for a pregnant woman or babby, and much much less dangerous than, say, a fever

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Acetominophen is a painkiller. It does nothing for fevers.

e: I was partly wrong - there is "some evidence" it helps with fever. I was always told though that the only reason to use it is for pain relief, not fevers or coughs or whatever that it's commonly used as a placebo for.

Weatherman has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Jul 12, 2020

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

nah it does lower fever, that's like the main reason it's given to kids

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

???

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bike tory posted:

I've fixed a very bad post for you. That first study certainly suggests further study but it in no way suggests that Tylenol causes ADHD or autism. The second one is garbage.

guess I should go tell everyone who was talking about it at SFN last year that they were totally wrong

well, whenever the next sfn meets, lol@thinking covid will be over in october

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
the tylenol and ADHD/Autism connection has always been spooky to me because my mom has always used tylenol as long as I can remember and guess what both me and my brother have :whitewater:

through the actual reason is most likely she had me and my brother late...with my dad being much older than her. I'd probably say it's the primary cause of most of the genetic issues people have these days. people didn't used to have kids at these ages in significant numbers.

Lady Militant has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Jul 12, 2020

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
ADHD is pretty well understood as being genetically inherited with a huge amount of research supporting that, so claims that it's caused by an environmental factor during childbirth are incredibly dubious.

The idea that ADHD prevalence is increasing is also not support by research, it is still significantly underdiagnosed and there is perhaps an argument that it is also misdiagnosed in certain populations. Though you also start to run into issues in terms of ADHD as an etiological diagnosis describing neurodevelopment vs. a behavioral one describing symptoms.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Jul 12, 2020

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

guess I should go tell everyone who was talking about it at SFN last year that they were totally wrong

well, whenever the next sfn meets, lol@thinking covid will be over in october

it's a significant and important study but it's just straight up wrong (and also kinda alarmist) to say that the upward trend in ADHD and Autism are a result of increased acetaminophen use

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I hosed up, it was swelling I was supposed to be thinking of, not fever. Better delete my 20,000 posts from WebMD on the topic

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Orange Devil posted:

The US would be a better country if Hoover had been hanged by a mob.

at least hoover hosed al capone the gently caress up, who was a billionaire at the time

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bike tory posted:

it's a significant and important study but it's just straight up wrong (and also kinda alarmist) to say that the upward trend in ADHD and Autism are a result of increased acetaminophen use

The noted effect size (a 2-3x risk increase) and uptick in tylenol usage by pregnant women is sufficient to cause a large upward trend by itself; if the median tertile of acetaminophen in cord blood has double the risk of adhd compared to the lowest tertile, then the fact that the majority of US women now take it during pregnancy *should* be alarming.

Now, as far as natural experiments go, Cuba actually has acetaminophen as a prescription drug instead of OTC, and their rates of autism and adhd are far lower than the US. (Un)fortunately, cuba has uhc, which means that - while every person in cuba has a chance to be diagnosed instead of slipping through the cracks - the rest of the medical system is also different in numerous ways which could easily act as a confound.

But if you want to conduct a full on controlled select-random-pregnancies-and-forbid-tylenol-to-them experiment, i'll be glad to hear from you in a decade once you get through IRB approval and start collecting data

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Weatherman posted:

I hosed up, it was swelling I was supposed to be thinking of, not fever. Better delete my 20,000 posts from WebMD on the topic

https://twitter.com/BUGPOSTING/status/1176698024661278720

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/1282717804253372418

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/climatebrad/status/1282780458942701568

This guy's a treasure.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was hoping to find that brigade of people who are still mad at Sarah Jeong in the replies but nah i guess they only follow her directly, the worst I've found is someone arguing about how "um actually people who want to get rid of ~cancel culture~ are all about academic and journalistic freedom and not about protecting bigoted oil barons" like dog c'mon

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who is Sarah Jeong and why do goons mention her at every opportunity.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

What the hell

I've never seen a plane crew care about anything like that. No one in the air knows what you paid or cares

I mean aside from sneaking into first class cabin, but even then sometimes they don't care

it makes perfect sense from a class war perspective. look at parliamentary trains:

quote:

The reaction of many railway companies was grudging acceptance of the letter, if not the spirit of the legislation, and they provided the minimum one train per day with facilities for third class passengers at an unpopular time such as early morning or late at night. These were the original Parliamentary trains. The reason for the reluctance was to avoid losing revenue if passengers who could afford to travel second class switched to third if facilities there became bearable. Some companies continued to run inferior third or fourth class trains in addition to the minimum standard parliamentary train.

this is one of the reasons capitalism can't allow itself to improve humanity as a whole. there always needs to be a lovely experience prominently displayed that scares people into paying for a better experience.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

She's a Cool Journalist who came to yospos once to talk about bitcoins before abruptly leaving due to goons being terrible. She later got a job at the New York Times which caused the entirety of the right to melt down because she said a mean thing about white people once. She even got her own Ben Garrison comic, which is some kind of badge of honor I guess:

Anyway there's a cohort of people that to this day follow her goddamn twitter and reply to every goddamn tweet with YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE YOU RACIST PIG or some variant on that.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

journalist (pretty good one in my understanding) who got hired by the new york times for a bit a couple years ago. firing her became cause celebre for some weirdos because she made tweets mocking assholes like andrew sullivan that, if you're an rear end in a top hat, could be construed as the fabled Anti-White Racism. extremely good tweets like "Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins."

welp, beaten

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting, thanks! Seems like highlighting her is very much justified.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Interesting, thanks! Seems like highlighting her is very much justified.

The other fun thing I remember her doing is she'd live-tweet big tech court cases (and also bitcoin ones lmao), and people in the twitter feed would constantly try to explain legal concepts to her and correct her on poo poo.

She has a law degree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shame Boy posted:

She has a law degree.

This is the most damning reveal about her yet.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
making me remember dpr and CARL MARK FORCE IV

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at least hoover hosed al capone the gently caress up, who was a billionaire at the time

Gangsters are usually not happy with competition, yes.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Imagining The Dad sitting in that truck at that intersection, completely paralyzed and trembling, turning the wheel left a little, then right a little more, then back left, beads of nervous sweat running down his forehead.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry i could not travel both

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ALFbrot posted:

two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry i could not travel both

two roads diverged in a parking lot
and I

Adbot