Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

I was thinking "there's no loving way that's real; nobody is that tone-deaf."

Capitalism surpasses(?) my expectations yet again.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2795/how-can-i-send-a-card-or-contribution-to-a-prior-host

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I was thinking "there's no loving way that's real; nobody is that tone-deaf."

Capitalism surpasses(?) my expectations yet again.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2795/how-can-i-send-a-card-or-contribution-to-a-prior-host

quote:

It’s your responsibility to determine whether your contribution is eligible for a tax deduction or credit.

:allears:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

She's a Cool Journalist who came to yospos once to talk about bitcoins before abruptly leaving due to goons being terrible. She later got a job at the New York Times which caused the entirety of the right to melt down because she said a mean thing about white people once. She even got her own Ben Garrison comic, which is some kind of badge of honor I guess:

Anyway there's a cohort of people that to this day follow her goddamn twitter and reply to every goddamn tweet with YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE YOU RACIST PIG or some variant on that.

Sarah Jeong did nothing wrong.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/katiejoyofosho/status/1283096431973277697

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

so what percentage cut are they taking?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
it's gotta be at least 30%

I feel bad for all the desperate renters who bite on all the AirBnBs suddenly listed elsewhere as rental apartments because they're going to be evicted as soon as the market comes back.

less than three has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Jul 15, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

less than three posted:

I feel bad for all the desperate renters who bite on all the AirBnBs suddenly listed elsewhere as rental apartments because they're going to be evicted as soon as the market comes back.

Airlines are currently thinking travel will take years and years to return to anything resembling normal at the moment so they might be surprised.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

less than three posted:

According to the FAQ they take nothing, though if you (as in, the property owner) have a negative balance they'll take it to pay for that.

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!

which way western man

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

quote:

There is a problem in substance abuse treatment in the United States called body brokering. Substance abuse treatment can be very expensive and insurance companies pay A LOT of money for a patient to be there. Treatment centers will hire “body brokers” to find addicts with the best, highest paying insurance and entice them to check in to the specific center, the treatment center then gives the broker a commission from the insurance money.

This can go as far as body brokers literally putting more drugs in to the hands of some addicts before they come in, bc the higher level of drugs in your system upon admit, the more and longer the insurance company will pay to the treatment center.

Brokers will also hire other addicts in a pyramid scheme type way to check in to the treatment center, make friends with the other patients, and upon discharge encourage relapse so they come back to treatment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/hq6dys/whats_a_dark_secretquestionable_practice_in_your/fxwrclo/

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/annehelen/status/1283506874088734720?s=21

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheKafkaDude/status/1284089871825600514?s=20

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

glad to see the onion autistic correspondent found work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1283859576295653376

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wtf is going on? For real.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

Bad stuff OP, bad stuff.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

starkebn posted:

they call it "capitalism"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

starkebn posted:

if you work really hard you're rewarded, that's capitalism

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

starkebn posted:

Basically, private equity takes out a bunch of loans and purchases a controlling share of a business that's doing okay. Via the magic of paperwork the business then assumes the debt for the loan taken out to buy it, which is always crippling even before the next step. It then pays out massive dividends to its new shareholders while cutting costs in every way it can (read: firing workers, stiffing suppliers), damaging its ability to do business. The executives, since they're doing the will of the shareholders, earn massive bonuses for helping loot the place. After the business runs out of the ability to take out new loans and run, its sold for pennies on the dollar that go to executives and shareholders. Private equity then performs a good 'ole rinse/repeat and since its gained a whole lot of money out of the bargain it usually aims higher.

Look up why Toys R Us choked and died; it was beloved enough that people wrote columns on this poo poo. Here.

:capitalism:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yeah we’re in the part of late stage capitalism where it’s just a wild slash and burn on everything to rip whatever copper out of the walls they can

necroid
May 14, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

yeah we’re in the part of late stage capitalism where it’s just a wild slash and burn on everything to rip whatever copper out of the walls they can

it's funny because it's true

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Complications posted:

Look up why Toys R Us choked and died; it was beloved enough that people wrote columns on this poo poo. Here.

:capitalism:

graetest-nation-in-history-of-world__shining-light-on-hill.txt

e: vvvvvvvvv what?

Weatherman has issued a correction as of 10:47 on Jul 18, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s ok it’s not like there’s a well organized outside society with a huge army ready to smash into the west , a la Russia into the commonwealth

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s ok it’s not like there’s a well organized outside society with a huge army ready to smash into the west , a la Russia into the commonwealth

I think he is saying that the powers that be have invested enough into the police and surveillance a state that they don't have to fear the masses anymore.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can't feed your insatiable gambling habit with sports betting? Try naked options trading!!!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Naked, you say? I'm interested.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Can't feed your insatiable gambling habit with sports betting? Try naked options trading!!!!!

I wanted to see if I could find that ipad_leaning_on_basketball.png stock photo they used but instead I found this much better one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Concept of modern basketball family . Boy with tablet, father with beard and blazer hanging in air on basketbal picture background

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Concept of modern basketball family . Boy with tablet, father with beard and blazer hanging in air on basketbal picture background

When I first looked at that, I briefly thought the watermarks were an earring on the dad and an eyebrow piercing on the kid.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Jul 20, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

When I first looked at that, I briefly thought the watermarks where an earring on the dad and an eyebrow piercing on the kid.

Same. Also it took me reading the title to notice the ghost business man next to them for some reason.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

That's not a tablet, it's a clipboard.

Which I guess is an analog tablet.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

spacetoaster posted:

That's not a tablet, it's a clipboard.

Which I guess is an analog tablet.

...Or just a tablet?

I wonder if anybody has ever written a book about the changing uses of words over time, like pilot or 'firing' a weapon. I know there's a book there. I don't know if it would be interesting or if anyone would read it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

See I almost made that post but I wasn't sure if maybe somewhere they call clipboards tablets. I've never heard them referred to as a tablet in my podunk part of Ohio but that doesn't mean somewhere else doesn't

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Len posted:

See I almost made that post but I wasn't sure if maybe somewhere they call clipboards tablets. I've never heard them referred to as a tablet in my podunk part of Ohio but that doesn't mean somewhere else doesn't

A notebook or pad of paper is also known as a tablet. A clipboard often has a tablet on it.

Thats my guess anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

...Or just a tablet?

I wonder if anybody has ever written a book

They sure have: https://www.amazon.com/Semantic-Antics-Words-Change-Meaning/dp/0375426124

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

I did some educated guessing and googling and I think it's just because the photographer is Russian: One word for "clipboard" in Russian is планше́т с зажи́мом. The first word of which (планше́т / planšét) sounded familiar to me and it turns out that's because it's from the french word planchette, which is a small plank. The word also gets used in планшетный компьютер "tablet computer", with the "computer" part probably implied by modern technology if you leave it off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A "legal pad" or other bunch of paper bound on one edge is often called a tablet and probably there is one on the clipboard

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the important takeaway from that picture is that there's like 3 of those little clippy thingers on the side of the analog tablet, by far the best temporary bag sealing devices on the market and since he has 3 of them he can close 1 bag of chips and then lose the other 2

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I'd like to focus on the ethereal suit man instead of the tablet. What is going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I didnt notice the cost after looking at the picture, reading the title, and then looking at it again saying what jacket

Then I saw it