Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Every month we get a new health based email and it has little bullet points about why things like high blood pressure are bad.

Every month the bullet points focus entirely on the company and never the individual.

We once got an email that we as employees are going to the doctor/statcare/ER too much and should use the free Teladoc program more.

The first company newsletter of 2018 featured a line about how they only made 3% net profit because of too much health insurance use. It doesn't even mention the multi million dollar facility the company just bought in Florida. Just gently caress you guys for getting sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Amateur Saboteur posted:

That's actually hilarious in an existentialist way. its possibly loving the funniest thing ever next to that toddler who blew his parents skull wide open with a revolver.

Which time?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kecske posted:

enable your staff to keep on top of an unmanageable workload by granting them the ability to work in times and places you don't pay them for!

:capitalism:

Make them salary so their time doesnt matter

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bag em and tag em posted:

Why deal with a possible customer complaint and potentially lose repeat business when you can settle the affair and eliminate the loss by taking it out of an employee's check?

How do you know it's the guest that took the towels and not the lowly employee? All employees are thieves who would gladly rob their place of employment blind given the chance.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

happyhippy posted:

From Walmart, 'associates' are their own staff.

And they got in trouble for that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skypie posted:

yeah, my fiancee's income is so low that if we didn't live together, she'd have to file for programs like SNAP and that's hosed up to me. It's why I have so much in life insurance policies so that if anything happens to me, she's set for a while. Which is also hosed up for me to think about. Lots of spouses/partners out there would literally be better off financially if their other half died :smith:

Mines in the same boat. I make an almost living wage and she makes sub $9/hr. We crunched the numbers on just getting courthouse married to get her insurance but if we did my insurance cost goes from 109/pay to something ridiculous like $350

She makes too much to qualify for Medicaid though so she's hosed either way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

What state. I'm guessing a red one?

Ohio

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Motherfucker posted:

Its not just a tablet in a backpack, the human being attached is a living advertisement whose every moment strapped to said pack is to expound brand loyalty online and in person. If you smash the backpack you'll break their soul jar and they'll finally be allowed to collapse into a pile of dust and bones.

The gas station I used to work for was a "family friendly store" they still sold alcohol and tobacco but they didn't sell rolling papers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MageMage posted:

"Sorry hunny, I won't pay $350 for you, youre hosed."

I mean it’s that or we cant afford rent. Thats almost half of every paycheck gone to insurance.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

holy poo poo drop it it's been discussed we're not making progress post pics

Social Media is the worst but at least Dawn got fired for being awful after those texts went viral.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bonzo posted:

ME: Yes, I need to cancel because I'm not out of work and need to save money.
THEM: Well what if we have you 25% off for 6 months?
ME: No. You see, I don't even know if I can pay my mortgage past next month.
THEM: Well....have about 50% off for 3 months?
ME: Yeah...like I said, I'm broke and may loose my house. Please cancel this.
THEM: How about a free radio and 75% for 2 months?
ME: WTF.?? can you cancel this or not?
THEM: Oh ok. We suspend your account in case you was to activate it again soon!

I originally got my phone plan at an independent Verizon store. I was in the middle of surprise unemployment and one day my phone rings:

"Hi is this Len?"
"Yes it is"
"Hi this is Scumbag Salesman just calling to let you know about our sales going on this weekend"
"Yeah I don't have a job I won't be coming in"
"But we have the newest phone on sale"
"That's nice I'm unemployed and won't be coming in good bye"

loving vultures

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

comedyblissoption posted:

In order for this to be a feel good story that can be aired on Good Morning America, Americans have to be widely ignorant about the US having one of the worst set of maternity leave laws in the entire world.

What do they want? Obedient Workers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ

And that's the way we like it. gently caress having benefits like sick time, vacation time, and paid maternity leave. If we give people those things then prices will go up to match how much more they're spending on employees.

-things my old Walmart coworkers actually believed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

happyhippy posted:

No different from the egg producers everywhere, mentioned earlier I think or in another thread.
Where male chicks are instantly mulched up after coming out of the egg.

They're missing out on a brilliant thing there.

Take this baby rooster. Remove the feathers, bones and guts. Then stuff it with cheese. Put some batter on it. Deep fry that poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apprentice Dick posted:

Yeah, my company has a strong full coverage option for $80/month for singles, or they have a HSA based lovely coverage option for $50/month. I have no idea who would sign up for the lovely one, but they keep offering it year over year.

Because people keep taking it since it's cheaper and they bank on just not getting sick or injured. Me and a few friends were talking about that the other day and I'm the only one who isn't on an HSA plan. They all took it because "the company puts money in for us so it's like free money" and they might not have as lovely a plan as my companies HSA but we have a $10,000 deductible before it actually covers anything so uh...gently caress that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skypie posted:

I just heard a story on the radio this morning about how some companies are replacing sit down interviews with computer algorithm analyses of a video you record on a mobile device.

Pretty soon, HR is just gonna be literal robots interpreting the cold word of management instead of an actual person

In the case of my company the computer would probably do it's job better. Our HR department is pretty bad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

And that’s the way we like it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My fiancees sister just sat here and told us working for the state sucks because she's guaranteed raised but can't haggle for how much they are.

Also that she gets a cost of living raises which is "literally worthless and you don't actually see the difference"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ate all the Oreos posted:

loving get another job and let someone who can appreciate it take the few available state jobs then, gently caress you :argh:

She plans to but first she wants to work this job long enough to have her student loans go away and then she's going to "go to the private sector where the real money is"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sedisp posted:

She seems p dumb tbh

She did goat yoga this morning. She is p dumb

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wifi Toilet posted:

I dunno. If I had to do a yoga, that sounds like the one I'd choose.

If it does not involve little goat kids jumping all over me while I do yoga poses, please do not correct my misunderstanding.

e: VV Awesome! VV

I honestly just thought it was a long running joke from John Tesh but nope apparently millennials really do pay $$$ to go to a farm and do yoga with livestock

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You've gotta work every day and past your end time off the clock if you wanna climb up that corporate pole and get promoted.

And come to work sick because sick time isn't a thing you get at most jobs. Of course some jobs it's illegal to go to with the flu but what are you going to do the rent is due next pay and you can't afford to take off?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Picnic Princess posted:

If I want time off, I just ask for it in exchange for not getting paid that day. Work saves money on labour, and I accept my decision to have a smaller paycheque that pay period. My boss accepts that I'm human and my job isn't my only purpose for existing. I know, it sounds crazy, but the world keeps turning and the business stays running if I'm away for a day or two! And yet I still have a job even if I'm away and they still operate just fine. Because they're not monsters who only value people for their maximum productivity levels and nothing else.

At my last job I asked for a day off and I was told "gently caress that you'll be here"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Unions are evil and only look out for themselves. Your union rep is only out to make himself richer and won't ever do anything to make your work life better. That's why Walmart has their Open Door Policy. Instead of taking your grievances to a union rep who meets with bosses on your behalf you Kramer into the management office to have a meeting where you tell them what's wrong.

But Len, what if they don't like that you say? Well that's why they have a non-retaliation policy which prevents management from making your life hell for telling them your problems.

And if they do? Well that's why Walmart has a global ethics hotline. You can call and make a report that you're being retaliated against and they'll make it better somehow.

Oooooor you'll just get fired because you work in an At Will state and have no rights.

https://youtu.be/-gbEKy7eJak

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skypie posted:

Cuz nobody has enough money to uproot, move to a different country, buy a home/find an apartment, and settle in.

Pretty much. Our corporate overlords keep the majority of people broke and unable to uproot and leave.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I must be horrible at math but isn't 9-5 only 8 hours?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sentient Data posted:

9-5 is a myth. Most places aren't paid lunch, so it's 8:00-12:00 + 13:00-17:00

Hell most jobs I've had where you get a lunch they just tack that time to your day. Work days at Walmart are 9 hours long to cover your one hour lunch.

My current office job gives you an 8.5 hour day to make up for the lunch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I hear this all the time. I don't get the pride people feel for destroying their bodies so they can get more hours of work in the day. Yeah cool, you got a slightly larger paycheck, but now your physically ill all the time and miserable.

I worked with a kid who was maybe 16 and would clock out, then continue to work to "help out". What the gently caress, they do not loving pay you enough for you to use your personal time, go home.

I remember being 16 and thinking my hard work mattered. My lovely job would call and go "hey someone called off can you come in?" Or ask if I could stay late and I did because my parents swore the hard work would be noticed and it would lead to good things.

Then I got my first evaluation and it last a minute and consisted of the manager going "you're an average worker you get a 5 cent raise" and just like that I didn't give a poo poo anymore. I was now making 5.80 an hour oh boy howdy let me just be ecstatic

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Also the manager in charge of payroll would edit your punches so you had to keep your clock out slips to prove that he was literally taking your money away.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skypie posted:

We weren't supposed to talk about our hourly pay at my old job and managers were supposed to discourage associates from talking about it. I got written up as a manager for encouraging the high school kids to tell each other what they made so they could figure out who had the highest and argue during their performance reviews that was the rate everyone deserved

"But Skypie, why would you want them to band together like that?!"

And then you get things like my ex who flipped poo poo and got legitimately angry for days that I got a ten cent cost of living raise.

"I've worked here for years and you only make 20 cents less than me? That's loving bullshit and you know it." Like it was my fault that happened

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I worked at a Good Christian daycare for a bit and they were basically using the daycare to funnel funds into the church.

There was a playground fund to get an actual fence and equipment instead of having the playground run against and even include part of the parking lot. That went to recarpeting the sanctuary.
The ceiling leaked which "is totally normal with the style roof we have. it's going to happen there's nothing to do about it just put a bucket under the drip and don't let kids play in it"
They got this fancy electric sign and then fired three people because they didn't have the money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Huh that's illegal? Every place I've worked has stressed that it's against policy to ever tell your coworkers how much you make.

Hell my friend just got promoted to salaried management at the place we work and was flat out told "you make more than some of the other people in your position don't tell anyone how much you make"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I mean I'm in Ohio where I can be fired for literally any reason so I always assumed that was punishable

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pssst, they were lying to him. He actually gets paid less.

Oh probably but at the same time I've worked enough places where people fresh off the street start higher than people who had been there for years it could go either way

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We get yelled at if we say we'll come in early. Or stay late. Or work the weekend. All of those things lead to overtime which as we all know is an invention by the devil.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I work at a warehouse storing chemicals for other companies and then shipping them later. The company whose account I handle sent us our quarterly report card yesterday (first since I took over the desk) and we are meeting expectations. But there's literally no reason to do better. We could have a quarter where everything is perfect and do above expectations and it means nothing beyond that card. No bonus in it for me or even complements from my management because they're the kind to not say anything to you until you've hosed up.

And they wonder why I don't seem to enjoy being at work. Seriously. My employee review was "you do great at your job but why don't you ever look happy to be here?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

well, the execs would see their stocks go up so there's that!

Yeah but how does that effect me? Us hourly slaves (and from what I hear first tier salaried management) only just started to get a bonus. And it's only because of The Savings from that new tax plan they made last year.

You have to work there 5 years to see a whole $100.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

it doesn't that's the joke

I know I just wanted to gripe about the "bonus" system

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

There should be democracy in the work place.

That sounds treasonous comrade.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Those also are flavored straws from years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Don't forget that unless the story was blown way out of proportion a guy in Russia second guessed the computer and didn't nuke everyone when it told him to.

Good thing too because it was literally nothing.