Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I like the coat hanger for scale

what kind of child surgery are they paying for here?

...and I’ll see myself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Of all the loving sports, loving golf, the CHUDliest of sports.

one of the sponsors of the pbr bull riding league is the us border patrol.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Like in my preferred version of reality, the second Trump tried to run for president everyone in the room would have just done this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX2AyjVrrck

lynch mobs are funny.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have observed two separate instances of acquaintances with mental illness blow through or be scammed out of inheritances in short order. A $500 a day scratcher habit kind of sounds like this.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Which of course, had the knock-on effect that the opioid crisis is much less prevalent in Black communities (I'm sure this has plenty to do with racial geography as well). World's thinnest silver lining

black people have a harder time convincing doctors their pain is real.

https://batten.virginia.edu/about/news/black-americans-are-systematically-under-treated-pain-why

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

in Silicon Valley there’s a thing called hotel 22

https://www.kalw.org/post/finding-home-hotel-22#stream/0

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

thunder fury took work to get and had a use value.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Gorson posted:

"Care so much you refuse not to close"

Gross.

“Remember the close is a service”

sounds like it could be a frat guide to date rape.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

little munchkin posted:

normal human being: I like the color green. It's pretty

cspam poster: I actually feel bad for you

on the topic of overthinking car colors, I feel unsettled about the current fashion of drab and matte colors on cars, or even more on trucks. They evoke this weirdly fascistic aesthetic of masculinity you find in things like toiletries where the men’s stuff is just Spartan and grey to avoid the risk a color might threaten my delicate hold on my heterosexuality.

I need my poo poo bland as possible because
colors are for queers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I was with a friend when he bought a Tesla. There was no pressure. friend said to the sales guy, “ok I think you sold me this car” almost like
he was expecting the psychological reward of ringing the sales bell mentioned above. Instead, the sales guy just said “uhh ok cool. let me walk you over to the computer here. you can fill out your information. it’s going to charge you $100 now and the rest on delivery.” It was like buying a tv at Best Buy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

how is car buying a thing? just take a test drive and shove that nerd out the passenger side at the first stop light you hit

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is the Hard Sell Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Deal Like Just Drive Off With The Car Hahaha Close Your Eyes Haha

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

downstairs from my 2/2 condo in waikiki was a grocery store, plenty of shops, bars, and restaurants. sure taking the bus to places outside of downtown might take a couple of hours, but who gives a gently caress when you can walk anywhere you need to go?

downside, rent was nearly 2k/month.

Waikiki is funny because there’s such a range in what is offered as a “condo” from brand new construction in a high rise with modern hvac and amenities to lovely cockroach infested cinder block walkups with no parking. Id avoid buying groceries in Waikiki as you’re paying tourist prices. you could get the same stuff for half the price going to the Safeway on kapahulu instead. I’m reminded also in some of those high rise condos there are liquor stores just like hidden on the 10th floor and run by the sketchiest dudes on earth.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

from the doomsday thread

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do they even get a kickback for doing this poo poo or is it just like trophy hunting poor people

one of the points in fast food nation was McDonald’s gets a bunch of tax incentives for things likes workplace training and then at the same time designs its systems to require the least amount of training possible.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

lawns are bad, but without them we might live in a world where Rand Paul hadn’t gotten the poo poo kicked out of him while mowing one.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Living in a schoolbus north of the forty‐ninth parallel? :kstare:

i was thinking first about insulation, but now I’m imagining my entire house sliding off a road and ending up in a ditch.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Points wand at unarmed black man

“Avada kedavra!”

“stopus! resistus!”

“ifeltthreatrnedfirmylifiarmus!”

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Have you heard the good word about Melitta? It costs like 4 bucks. Lasts for decades.

Aero Press por vida.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/everydaybastiat/status/1408219049478209547?s=21

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

more people today can recite the entire iliad from memory than in the pre literate days

Reciting the Quran is still absolutely a thing too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/houkoholic/status/1440519537489694722?s=21

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Almost like everyone benefits from higher base wages, you might say.

Covid caused Australia's first recession in 40 years and it only lasted a quarter.

you say *almost everyone* but cmon buddy, in the great calculus, what’s more important, that nearly everyone benefit, or that rich people not be minority inconvenienced?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

Most boomers didn't go to college though. And alot of them were fist thumping troop supporters who voted for Nixon. I guess my point is that generational politics is bullshit then and now.

college had different consequences during the draft. if you dropped out, you were going to Vietnam. even the volunteers did so in the context of enlisting to avoid the infantry. “supporting the troops” didn’t really exist yet, it was a post facto response to the anti war movement. I agree that generational politics is in general bullshit, but at that moment, it served as a marker of the divide between white young people who supported the civil rights movement and their parents who did not.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

microcode and high speed pizza delivery. check check. where’s the movies and music?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

that was a fun article

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

good ol’ John C. Calhoun, the Marx of the master class

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

he certainly could give a class on being a master im sure

he certainly had no illusions about “free” labor being free under capitalism

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You are not your job,

I am my job!

you're not how much money you have in the bank

I am how much money I have in the bank!

You are not the car you drive.

I am the car I drive!

You're not the contents of your wallet.

I am the contents of my wallet!

You are not your loving khakis.

I am my loving khakis!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

jeebus bob posted:

Come and Like, Comment, Subscribe

I hate this world.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

sucks to be you guys. a new world awaits me on the off world colonies. later suckers

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zodium posted:

1950-1970's psychology was absolutely wild

jolly one might even say

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Yeah I was the Yale crew teams boat, ridden by groups of young ivy league sailors on those cold new England mornings by the bay

how do you do Mr Buckley

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BonHair posted:

This is called networking. If you're good at it you can leverage it into becoming a rich rear end in a top hat yourself.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zvahl posted:

death by critical whiteness

I was just going to ask how the Lutheran potluck scene was

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

posting on the white power page to remind us that capitalism is white supremacy

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

second place is a set of steak knives….

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SpacePig posted:

The eye is a needle is... Uh... A gate outside of Jerusalem or something that was... Uh... Meant for people on foot, so it was too big for a fully-laden camel to fit through! Yeah, so just hoard your wealth instead of buying things! Yup!

https://twitter.com/palmer2themax/status/1671917027022307328?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Frog Act posted:

I available there - and also one in Hawaii - that are 1/3rd

Hawaii has a fun labor history wherein after the horrific plague of smallpox killed off much the native labor, the plantation owners deliberately brought in Asian labor from different countries to prevent them from acting in solidarity. what happened instead was they intermarried and acted together in solidarity across racial lines.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed. Those elections happened in 1980, 1984, and 2000.

I’m showing my tinfoil a bit but the election of nov 22 1963 was prob the turning point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I grew up there, left after high school and never made it back other than to visit my parents once in a while. Maui was unrecognizable to me even before the fire. so haole