Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Well, in the US at least. No sure about internationally. We aren't good at history.

Internationally, I think they're generally regarded as colonial shitfucks whose only saving grace was doing less damage—globally—than the Brits.

Edit: Vis-à-vis the U.S. my theory is that we're secretly jealous their revolution was way more metal than our nerdlinger affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Miftan posted:

I consider it a personal failure if my phone lasts for less than 5 years.

Bought a 3GS in 2010 and an SE in 2016. Only two smart phones I've owned. Ride those suckers into the ground.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BonHair posted:

Tbf, I'm willing to bet that some not insignificant percentage of the fetish dog people who write "no bestiality" or a variation thereof are writing it to get the site of their back but with a wink about private requests.

You'd think so, but a lot of people who have fetishes adjacent to stuff that's extremely transgressive or illegal will get furious if you so much as infer their kink overlaps. See also, DDLG or age-play fetishists who will swear up, down, and sideways that their kink has nothing to do with under-age attraction.

Maybe it's over compartmentalizing, maybe it's the lady doth protest too much, probably a mix of both. Either way, I'm sure pretend-dog-lady gets frequent requests for videos of her having sex with actual dogs, which is probably exhausting even if that is a thing she's secretly into.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Amazing how so many of these stories about Millennials making bank or Xers retiring early boil down to "I found a way to avoid paying rent."

So you're telling me it's easier to manage your money when 50-75% of your monthly income isn't vanishing into a void? Incredible!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There was also that one a while ago about the twenty-something living who was saving several thousand a month and he was pulling it off by paying $500 for rent in a major city because he lived with something like seven roommates.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Here's something terrifying.

With the advent of massive work from home numbers recently EMPLOYEE ANALYTICS has come back to the forefront. It was always there, and growing, but now companies are getting very serious about it.

In a sane world, this kind of monitoring and data harvesting would be illegal within someone's home, whether or not it's their place of work. Should be illegal everywhere, of course, but we're already so hosed what's the point? Looking forward to having my life ruined by a lovely "AI."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nature of people. That's why you have to design systems that mitigate and reduce the problem, rather than ignore or encourage it.

Unfortunately, people also kinda suck at that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

Tom Cruise is almost 60 years and and people are still paying money to see him in action movies. In a few years we're gonna read about him breaking his hip on the set of Mission Impossible 9

Liam Neeson was 58 when the first Taken movie came out and they made three of those loving things. Aging boomers will pay bank to see their action hero fantasies strung out just a wee bit longer. Hell, The Expendables is all about trotting out broken-down old dudes to wheeze around on sets.

It's this Simpson's gag, but without the irony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGb_nQZrvFU

Edit: although in Cruse's specific defense, the guy is probably in better shape than most of the people on this forum.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But they'll still happily fire that one teenager if their shrinkage exceeds some arbitrary threshold.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, he has a good and relatable story about why people at a certain age think signing up for the military is the correct life choice, and how it goes on to ruin them.

Edit: this is a weird channel. People in VR chat telling frank stories about messed up poo poo.

Skippy McPants has issued a correction as of 07:10 on Jan 3, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

uh, the humans created the capitalism by paying the dolphins. the dolphins just realized that there is no ethical consumption and that humans are easy to scam

Yeah, what the deal? The dolphin didn't create capitalism, the dumb humans are just salty that she's better at it than them.

Skippy McPants has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Jan 16, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's just good writing.

People who toss undefined acronyms into a sentence, especially when they're not immediately obvious from context, deserve to be thrown into boiling oil.

CBT is the only example you'll ever need for why it's important to define your acronyms.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

that sounds like the very opposite of reasonable

Well, the "reasonable" part is that giving them options is supposed to give them a stake in the company and its success... but what it really does is give them a stake in the stock price, and juicing it hard as they can so they can cash out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAfB8j8oYeY&t=757s

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rah! posted:

its an area that's well served by public transit, but there's a 1:1 parking to unit ratio.

That is a ludicrous amount of parking for any city let alone SF.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I get the impression it was meant to be far fewer than 16 people in that house. The guy mentions at one point that the room he's in used to be their theater space. Sounds like their monthly went up or they didn't fully plan the costs (probably both) and their solution was to just pack in more roommates.

What could go wrong?

My brother spent more than a decade living in a shared house in SF, but they always maintained individual space for every person or couple—with, like, walls and a door. When they inevitably got priced out their solution was to go their separate ways and find other accommodations because fuuuuuck living like the people in that video.

Skippy McPants has issued a correction as of 02:16 on Jul 11, 2021

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

The housing market probably wasn't quite as insane when your brother did that.

We've had multiple decades of Boomers doing everything in their power to drive up housing costs, and it has hosed us royally.

Oh for sure, like I said they did eventually get priced out a few years ago.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't understand why anyone would want or agree to live under an HOA.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FFT posted:

same but about becoming a cop

I mean, I get that one. It's an easy road to power over other people for the assholes who're into that kind of thing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's one of the more efficient ways to limit your exposure to black people

Yeah, okay, that tracks. loving up your own life for the chance to hurt minorities is very on-brand for suburbia.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

i don't feel ok about using gendered insults

How ‘bout poo poo-pile?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Biplane posted:

Truancy court system

The gently caress is this? How is this a thing?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

You want a truck bad enough you can be gelded to have one

Hey, free pair of truck nuts. Win-win.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Same. I'd heard of a scullery maid before but never knew exactly what scullery meant.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What is an 8.555 bath?

Took a bit of google, but it appears to mean the number of half bathrooms. So, like, 1.5 is one full and one-half bathroom. 8.555 is eight full and three half bathrooms.

edit: that does make me wonder why you need eleven bathrooms. That seems like a lot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress is half a bathroom anyway? Just say 5 bathrooms 3 toilets.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Me and my friends have a theory that mr beast is a false flag, a fiction created by twitch and youtube as a gestalt ad for the concept of being a successful streamer. Like he has no worthwhile or interesting characteristics and went from nothing to multimillion dollar empire whose only product seems to be "giving large sums of money to random other streamers".

It's even more insidious, I'm afraid. Mr. Beast is the Peppered Moth of the internet age. Social media companies didn't build him in a lab. Because they didn't need to. He was the inevitable result of the noxious ecosystem they created.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

New goon project, anti-drone beam weapon

Already a thing,

Basically just a portable jammer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anti-aging Tiktok is loving lunacy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I just thought they’d have country estates, go big game hunting and work on oil paintings in their leisure time not be Disney Adults and move to a central Florida suburb.

Shouldn’t they be sponsoring agricultural digs and curating a museum or something? It’s such a low-middlebrow idea of what to do with a lot of money. The aesthetic preferences, like having the plans and drawings of Disney rides in their “beachy” bedroom, this is something dentists do, not people who inherit.

Maybe they should, but money doesn't magically make you cultured. Most rich people are fixated on the same mass-market consumerist pap as us, only they pay ten times as much for the deluxe branding. That's not a knock against them, it's just that there's a kind of a ceiling on how much money can improve your quality of life, and a big part of why having so much is ludicrous.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

this is causing a genuine crisis for many legacy non-profit arts organizations. Museums and Symphony Orchestras are losing their patrons to Marvel and Star Wars lmao it sucks

They just need to get themselves bought by Disney too. Problem solved!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Turns out mono-culture was a bad idea. Who knew?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cranston looks like he was fuckin' deepfaked

Much as I appreciate Cranston giving zero fucks, I also gotta respect Raymond Cruz for going ham. I know that's the character, but he always looks like he takes such joy in being Tuco.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

I don't want to loving call someone on the loving phone, what is wrong with you

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

thats the part i always gently caress up because im too busy retching into the toilet due to the social interaction ive been forced to have by using a phone

Speaking of capitalism: there's probably money to be made off the ever-growing number of people who'd sooner drink bleech than make phonecall.

I don't mind talking on the phone. Pay me to do your trivial social interactions for you!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stewart initially being in favor of the Afghanistan war isn't really a shock. For the first year or so after 9/11, the U.S. was insatiably bloodthirsty. Like, approval in the high nineties bloodthirsty. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone with a large platform speaking out against the war. Also, the Daily Show in 2001 wasn't really the Daily Show. It was still closer to the original Craig Kilborn format of being a comedy talk show that poked fun at the current event rather than the political satire it would become.

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of solid criticism of Steward and his worldview, but I think the extended hangover from our forever wars sometimes glazes over just how murder-drunk the country was at the start of that particular bender.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arivia posted:

didn't the us have a legit casus belli over afghanistan's government protecting al qaeda? like obviously the war overall was a big mistake but i don't remember the actual beginning of it being anything other than a very clear cut "yep the us is doing what they're entitled to do because of 9/11"

As early as Sep. 16th 2001, Bush said,

"This is a new kind of—a new kind of evil. And we understand. And the American people are beginning to understand. This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while. And the American people must be patient. I'm going to be patient."

He was speaking off the cuff, but even way back then, it was clear that his administration was looking to conduct a broad, ongoing effort. It was going to start in Afghanistan, targeting Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, but it wasn't going to end there. However, almost nobody in the U.S. paid attention or cared at the time. Because again, collective outrage drowned out anything else.

And yes, he actually said crusade in public and in that context. Bush Jr. is not a very smart man.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In Training posted:

So? Why does he get a pass lol. Another amoral rear end in a top hat who just gets his checks cashed cheerleading american imperialism.

I didn't say he did? My only point is that 90% of the country got sucked into the same jingoist revenge fantasy. By the time the people began to really challenge its validity, we were already mired in two impossible wars.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I'm reaching with the Iraq war, but going into Afghanistan was almost unopposed from top to bottom.

Credit to Barbara Lee for being the only congressperson to vote against the Afghanistan war (AUMF).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Palladium posted:

wtf do you mean my tech business model is dying without the infinite fed spigot

Free market! Free market!

No wait, not like that...

Edit: someone should make a list of all the industries, good and bad, that would evaporate overnight without taxpayer subsidies and federal assistance.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The more essential the job, the less it pays. That's just market forces, that is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Feels like only a few years ago that we had edgy comedy skits about commercializing mass shootings.

Eighties Cyberpunk was way too optimistic about the future.