Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Supersize Me taught me that fast food is bad and home cooking is good so it's okay to cook a pound of pasta as a snack. I was an obese teenager proud of how healthy I was for not eating McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Student loan forgiveness doesn't go far enough, we also need to compensate the young people who chose not to go to college because they couldn't afford it. They deserve a lump sum payment to make up for the decades of wages being so much lower than the cost of living.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sir Tonk posted:

this owns cause feinstein sold a bucnh of stuff that went up a shitload

Specifically, she sold stock in a medical supply company. Lmao

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Giga Gaia posted:

if only the big brain capitalists could come up with a method for the long term preservation of dairy... ah well probably impossible

The US has 500,000 tons of cheese in a gigantic cheese cave in Wisconsin. No they aren't giving away the cheese to hungry newly unemployed people, that could hurt dairy profits, gotta consider the economy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sucks to be the insurance adjuster in 2003 who estimated a 1 in 70 chance that Wimbledon is cancelled by a pandemic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Pretty much the same thing that was said at the turn of the 20th century with horse and buggy drivers.

A better analogy: "If you make it legal to unionize, all the strikebreakers will lose their jobs."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Nastier Nate posted:

tilted kilt is ok...for a chain restaurant

A friend of mine worked at Tilted Kilt and she was required to post a photo of herself in uniform once a week on her personal Facebook, and talk about how she loved her job. I don't know if that's a corporate policy or just a particularly awful franchise.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bike tory posted:

If you had/have a kid who eats what they're given then count yourself lucky because they absolutely do not all do that.

Fantastic post. I was a picky kid because I have autism, and I once went two days without eating because my parents told me I couldn't eat anything until I ate my beans. After they got divorced, my BMI went from underweight to obese in three years. It didn't help that if I ever admitted to liking a food I previously hated, they'd try to "prove" I wasn't picky anymore and make a lot more foods that made me gag like beans, pierogies, fish, etc. Now I have binge eating disorder but I'm no longer obese.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Well. There’s basically corn, wheat and bran and whatever food coloring they add to make you feel like you have a choice

Some of them have more high-fructose corn syrup than the other ones, though. Those are the ones I choose.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hodgepodge posted:

so i guess being employed by disney is a land of contrasts

Wizards of the Coasts infamously pays programmers well below market rate because they'll get the satisfaction of working for a company they love. This is why everything digital they touch is an absurd clusterfuck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/Carolyn_Cole/status/1285925534023778305

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does the Crackhead Clubhouse still have that alcohol thread where people recommend the best African whiskeys that can be imported for $5/gallon?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A day trip to a farm sounds like the worst imaginable way to spend a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oomlb9xm-YQ

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShadowHawk posted:

If you want a visceral demonstration of how stupid your brain can get I suggest playing something like cookie clicker for a few days

It's downright educational

I broke my Macbook's trackpad by clicking too quickly the first time I played Cookie Clicker.

Too anyone who like clicking games I always recommend Universal Paperclips, it has an actual story and takes about three hours to play through for the first time. You only have to rapidly click for the first five minutes, although it'll help later on.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

necroid posted:

I think I read just this morning the title of an article which reported that CDPR is going to give 10% of the sales revenue to everyone doing crunch, I don't know how many other developers would do such a thing

Poland has actual labour laws so CDPR legally can't have their employees work more than 8 hours of overtime per week or more than 150 hours of overtime per year. Of course, the situation is probably that the programmers are forced to work more than that amount of overtime and they get fired if they complain.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, what if we replaced that old carbon with new carbon? Instead of burning the forests we cut them down and stuff them in old coal mines. Stuff on top would break down a little, but stuff at the bottom shouldn't. Every so often someone excavates an old landfill and finds 30 year old newspapers that are still perfectly fine, without water or air they take forever to break down, so that same storage solution should work on pre-birth newspapers. Trees are pretty slow tho, maybe grow bamboo or kudzu or something to capture atmospheric carbon and stuff it in old mine shafts.

That is one of the proposed plans for carbon sequestration. There's no profit in it, but if we were serious about reducing atmospheric carbon that's one of the more cost-effective methods. Much less effective than clean energy and raising less beef of course.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shame Boy posted:

people would definitely complain about the NUCLEAR WASTE WATER or whatever even though it's not actually dangerous.

Doesn't it create a small but undesirable risk that if a pipe leaks you get mildly radioactive drinking water?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

spacetoaster posted:

Oh lord. This is a pluck me situation? Holy poo poo.

What does "pluck me situation" mean?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rolo posted:

can someone explain what independent work is? Is it still working for an rear end in a top hat without any kind of social/union potential or something?

It means you work for Uber or Amazon or whatever, but technically you're an independent business owner subcontracting for them so they don't have to give you any benefits or job security.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Inceltown posted:

It's a nojoe mock thread. You're fine with your JOE gangtag.

Since they closed the NoJoe thread, us Joes should just go post in that one now

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I was confused by this so I looked it up - the candies were renamed "Red Rippers", which was the British name for a Soviet serial killer in Rostov.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I got water poisoning in an all-day sports tournament where I had no subs. I hadn't brought food because I assumed the venue would have food but it didn't. So I drank 15 litres of water to keep myself going. At the end of the day I felt really dehydrated and wanted to drink more water, then I remembered reading that hyponatremia feels like dehydration, so I got someone to drive me to a Quizno's. I ate a ham and pickle sandwich with extra salt poured on it, and it tasted sweet because I needed salt so badly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

130-car pileup in Texas. It was on a privately owned road, and the owners decided not to put salt or sand on the road surface after freezing rain. Six people have died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqNy7v5YekM

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shame Boy posted:

Oh texas :allears:

e: Wait a minute that video says it's I-35, are you saying Texas found a way to loving privatize an interstate?

Yes. Only a small stretch of I-35W, which is where this disaster happened.

:capitalism:

Chamale has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Feb 12, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shame Boy posted:

I mean I absolutely would not put it past the Texas DOT to privatize poo poo like salt and gravel either but yeah.

I was digging around the wiki article and figured it was either I-35E or W after I saw those existed, but didn't see anything about either of those being privatized. However I doubt that many people regularly update the wikipedia articles for loving highway spurs so :shrug:

I did some digging as well, and according to the North Texas Tollway Authority's Facebook it's a private company called NTE Mobility Partners Segments 3, not NTTA. Strange times when Facebook has more current info than Wikipedia. (Edit: Their comment referenced Google's auto-answer algorithm, which was wrong but pointed to some correct information)

"The accident that occurred this morning on an express lane was very tragic. NTTA does not own, operate or maintain express lanes. They are not part of NTTA's system. The express lane where this tragic accident occurred is owned and operated by a private comany."

Chamale has issued a correction as of 09:03 on Feb 12, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

starkebn posted:

Are you saying it was just one lane of the highway privatised, or is this an Australian - American wording misunderstanding?

The two lanes in question are miles apart, I-35 splits into two separate highways for roughly 150 kilometres. It looks like the accident happened on a stretch owned and operated by NTE Mobility Partners Segments 3, a part of the NTE Mobility Partners corporate family, which is a subsidiary of the Spanish company Cintra, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ferrovial.

All those layers of ownership mean that no one will ever be held responsible for this.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

America has one of the highest traffic fatality rates in the OECD, but the rate is much higher in many poor countries, so America is roughly in the middle globally.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BonHair posted:

As someone who has done essentially two weeks of actual work since July, no, this doesn't work. Management have so little feeling with actual work that they just trust that hours equal work.

I actually did complain that I was just doing nothing at all. No response. I didn't push it. It sucked a lot more when I was actually in the office, at home I just watched Star Trek.

There's a classic story from SomethingAwful from a goon whose entire department was downsized, but not him, so he was getting a salary with no responsibilities.

The American Dream

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SchnorkIes posted:

Wouldn't you just sue a tenant who skipped out on the lease and owed you money? It doesn't seem like a great strategy for the tenant unless you're penniless and the landlord couldn't get anything from you at all no matter what.

The landlord can steal the tenant's deposit with no recourse for the tenant. The tenant proactively "stole" the same amount from the landlord, so neither side would get anything in court.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a Bigfoot with a gun

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Selling an NFT of the concept of a hitman assassinating a target of your choice

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BonHair posted:

"The customer is always right" was probably always intended as "just give the fucker his discount, it's not worth your time to argue, even if he's obnoxious and wrong" more than anything.

It was originally "the customers are always right", like, if the aggregate of your customers want to buy jeans even though you think khakis are more stylish, sell jeans.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Peanut President posted:

im a vegetarian can i be smug

Time to become vegan, you chicken exploiter.

Harm reduction through consumption is something I try to do, so I'm vegan and don't buy anything from Nestle or Coca-Cola. So many corporations are arguably the most evil, but Nestle killing thousands of babies every year and Coca-Cola sending mercenaries to kill union organizers stand out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eat This Glob posted:

as an aside, does the USDA still hand out white label foodstuffs like fruit cocktail and government cheese? i havent seen that since the late 80s when I was a kid. powdered milk, sickly sweet canned fruit, and concord grape jelly/grape juice still haunt me in my 30s. peanut butter is still my jam though

No. George W. Bush ended the strategic food stockpile. If there is ever a global food shortage, the plan is for Americans to receive cash from the government to buy food on the free market.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

India had those massive protests caused by the government's attempt to shut down the famine prevention program (among other things). The protests are slowing down because covid is killing 10,000 people a day. The government is dealing with it, though, they have outlawed private covid testing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eat This Glob posted:

bourlog is a legend. he saved the lives of billions and was a wrestler from iowa. my entire CV is being a wrestler from iowa. he rules and im a poster lol

He's in the Wrestling Hall Of Fame, despite the fact that he stopped wrestling after university, because the guys in charge of the Wrestling Hall Of Fame figure he deserves every award anyone is able to give him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are Congressional stock picks public knowledge? You could make a successful index fund by just copying the decisions of notorious insider traders.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I want a McDonald's conflict slut.

(I'm aware that the English word derives from the Swedish army's "slut women")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: there's a lot of problems with their system, but honestly, the walking isn't it. The amount, sure, but not everyone is capable of picking rate because the computer wants them to change floors and walk an eighth of a mile between picks. You can't maintain rate when the algorithms telling you where to pick is sending you from the third floor on one side of the warehouse to the far end of the second floor beyond the chasm of concrete in between.

This is a solved problem, Amazon's algorithm shouldn't have this issue. Either they're leaving millions of dollars in profit lying on the table, or they have a way of telling the algorithm "We want to fire this employee, sabotage their performance metrics." I know which one is actually happening.