Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that's just standard huge moron libertarian takes on stuff, the greatest crime is how spectacularly bad the branding is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Forseti posted:

I have a Comp Sci degree and wouldn't call myself an engineer, but I had to do a pretty long personality test thing once as part of a job interview process, like interpreted by a consultant and such. In the meeting about my results he remarked about my ability to consider a problem both at a high level view and a detail view. According to him, this is not very common.

did it DQ you from the job

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Also the trucks carrying water from fracking are radioactive because uranium and its pals come up with the water.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

Now imagine all those unmarked, unshielded radioactive trucks getting parked next to each other at truck stops, or at a Mcdonald's.

when hte trucks and fracking infrastructure get scrapped, they get donated to schools and towns to build playgrounds with lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

So ultimately a better parent than Mayor Pete's dad

Wasn't his dad a Marxist professor or something? Sounds like there was still some rebellion there, just not the usual kind

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hippies were and are absolute scum, you can tell because the music they like is some of the worst poo poo ever put out in history

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ToxicAcne posted:

What do you guys think of Varoufakis's theory that Capitalism is dying out and being replaced by techno-feudalism? I don't really get the comparison to feudalism as that wasn't really based on the endless expansion of capital. Feudalism existed in a society where most stuff hadn't been commodified yet.

If climate change weren't a thing maybe, all forecasts at the moment are future fascism tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Nice. Now I don't have to watch the video.

He's an extremely good RCT poster

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lentils are numero uno

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

I'm gonna make a lentil and bean chili

the budget bytes recipe is very good! lots of food for not much money!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One of the most depressing things to me about modern capitalist priorities, coming from 15 years in commercial kitchens, is the enormously wasted potential of the dozens of huge kitchens capable of feeding thousands of people a day with a minimum of labor and raw food inputs that exist in almost every community here, that are left to collect dust as workers reheat plastic bags of Aramark of Sysco foods

It's incredible what you can do feeding people-wise with even a smaller industrial kitchen like you get in any school in this country....but it's just....wasted, goddamn it makes me mad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

At the risk of sounding like a neolib r-slur, I think the last-mile logistics problem is more interesting.

An unused commercial kitchen can be rented and staffed for extremely reasonable prices.

Now you have 1500lbs. of hot food: how do you get it to them?

Speaking as someone familiar with the capabilities of these kitchens, don't emphasize the hot aspect and instead create a line that makes the piles of food to serve immediately to people in a certain circumstance and then chill it for longer timeline distribution chains that are focused on the community at large

Food does not become a total loss once it loses 15 degrees on a buffet line over the course of 2 hours, not even by the strictest ServSafe protocols. Pretty much anything you eat in even a super fancy restaurant was prepped at 5am and put into cold storage immediately or processed (grilled, fried, etc) and put into cold storage to preserve it

You may be amazed to learn how little of a problem it is with modern food kitchens and logistics lines they can and have created to turn 1500 pounds of food into something they can distribute instead of waste. The last mile you speak of is a 15 minute jaunt to a distribution point at worst. If that much does not exist then no solution works anyway, and is largely irrelevant because commercial kitchens at the school level tend to be distributed quite evenly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jazerus posted:

ya there should be a nite crew in the school kitchens to feed the community imo

Literally my super communism dream job is to be one of a half dozen people in an industrial kitchen creating food enough every day to feed thousands. I cannot think of anything more satisfying and the worst part is that it'd be absolutely effortless a thing to make possible even within the dark beating heart of capitalism if only the political will existed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

My communism dream job is developing cheap, sustainable hydroponics but the only thing that's actually profitable to grow rn is weed :(

Anyway I'll send yr kitchen all the basil you can chop

This would be a part of my own dream job but a bit further along the line. Even now, hydroponics for low calorie stuff like greens is extremely promising even if it isn't on its own enough to actually keep anybody alive

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cloks posted:

have you worked with soup kitchens?

Well my having enough time to do so coincided almost exactly with "due to COVID we're not accepting any volunteers" so no, but my larger point isn't about them so much as it is about the underutilized capacity present in almost every community in this country

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Recipes are for bakers and cowards, just make a big pot of some base like lentils or rice or lentils and rice or rice and beans and add stuff to do. Can of chili? Sure. Roast up whatever veggies are on sale? Hell yeah. Simmer a can of coconut milk with a shitload of whatever spices are handy and mix it in? Oh yeah brother. Dump a big roast in a crock pot on low for 8 hours? Oh yeah baby, shred that and add the rest.

A bag of nuts and some celery sticks and whatever to snack on or for variety, big pot of hard boiled eggs, all good. My fav recipe is "open sardine tin, pour hot sauce on, eat over sink"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Very, very, very few servers average more than 25/hr for every hour they are working lmao. At this point that'd be double what the average FOH manager would make

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i mean to be fair the maitre d at a place selling veggies for $90 probably makes more than that

It's not an unreasonable point but the staff supported it, and locally here a place went to no tips and 15 an hour minimum and the staff there wanted it too. The stability is probably really nice and of course not getting 2 bucks an hour for all of your sidework

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dont trust that poo poo. I want a car key I can take to a hardware store and cut a spare of.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

There's a backup physical key inside the fob you can take out and cut a spare of if you want

I'd also like a car that wouldn't unlock the door for someone testing the handle and let them push button start it for no other reason than the deli counter is close enough to the street parking side of the wall

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can't have remote start with a stick shift.

Remote start is bougie as gently caress.

Are sticks even the cheaper option anymore? I'm pretty sure if you find one you're competing with weirdos up to 3 states away who will pay whatever the asking is because they're in some kind of car cult

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

A friend of mine in the UK who's on disability had a system like that that would beep loudly and ominously before running out of money and even though she's since moved into a house with power actually covered by the disability program instead of poo poo she has to manage herself she still hallucinates that goddamn beeping sound in the middle of the night sometimes, like some kinda loving power company induced PTSD

Along these lines, if you ever wanna gently caress with a friend who spent some time in fast food, play the drive thru beep when they're least expecting it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bismuth posted:

If they just wanted a fancy train for rich people why not just design a luxury train that costs too much for the rifraff to ride on that has private rooms and a full liquor bar

that's just Amtrack

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I speak both English and American

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bunker is the preferred abode of the thoughtful and prepared

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also the thread title is capitalism.png, post more pictures you disgusting animals

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

did people call them Hoovervilles at the time or was that applied later on?

I believe so, it was a short jump from the earlier term "Hooverize" which was shorthand for buying less food because of the war

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Many moons ago I suggested changing the title to capitalism.txt but the mod team at the time did not take the suggestion

Weren't you one of the mod team many moons ago

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

podcasts still baffle me. I just don’t get it. I’m not into listening to superficial conversations about things. just gimme an article or book or something. I’m old.

content:

that’s quite the ad.

“the games are getting better! people on the project have been on different teams in the past! Blockchain!!”

man the procgen stuff is getting pretty lazy huh

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

this art is giving me John Kricfalusi vibes
and also making me sad that he ended up being a sex pest :(

It's funny how the only reason this was a surprise to anybody was which side of the digital divide it was on. Like literally every single thing he did that didn't pass muster with Nickelodeon censors was insanely depraved and horny, but nobody saw it because there was no YouTube or Patreon and the like

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

These are all problems that were solved like a hundred+ years ago. Capitalist realism is a hell of a fuckin thing to see in effect. It is made abundantly clear by the actual power holders that this specific thing will never, ever happen so the world contorts itself around the newly forged belief that it is impossible actually to avoid having to grapple with the fact that what we want or how we vote has no meaningful impact on anything

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jazerus posted:

drat carl from athf has a hog

Alas, it don't matta. don't none of that matta

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It costs a lot to bring a home backwards in time from the year 9999

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Idaho feels too obvious so I’m going with Washington or Oregon

Same but I'm gonna say Maine

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah the big appeal with prison labor is that all the externalities are picked up by the taxpayer and all that's left for the for profit corporation contracting that labor is to cash the checks. The other name for this model is "private-public" and as you can imagine it instantly became incredibly popular with Chambers of Commerce across the world as soon because it's also the basis of Austrian economics

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of these outfits have contracts with local governments that require them to provide a minimum number of prisoners in the facilities lol, don't need much imagination to know how that works out

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Killer Michael being a landlord will never stop being funny to me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

It has happened to me so often that I've pitched a proposal for a project and the people hiring me are like "Okay, we accept your proposal but please send us a new invoice where you double the artist fee because you're lowballing yourself", cause I suck at estimating how much my labour is worth but I live in a reasonable country with payment standards and work in a friendly industry. I bet I would've starved ot death by this age if I'd been born in the US.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6goofnEr81r0uzl6.mp4

haha okay that's all good but make sure you pay your landlord that's the main thing, doing so is revolutionary

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Palladium posted:

I can't wait the next step of me paying advertisers to see advertising

I described my method for ensuring I get to the theater the minute the film starts and no sooner to avoid the dumb ads to a movie buff guy I know and they were horrified lol, ad brain man, it's not like any of that poo poo is even new anymore you can see all those trailers on youtube

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Not a Children posted:

re: heavier cars becoming the norm with EVs:

Road wear/damage is typically calculated as a function of the fourth power of mass

So if you double weight you cause 16x the wear to the roads as you drive

Any cost/carbon savings associated with EVs, which are already dubious, will be eaten up by increased maintenance of roads

Also, what happens to the car batteries when they need replacing? Would be interested to see what their lifespan is compared to even poor-tier ICE and transmission

Obviously the only moral and ethical EV vehicle is a tram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hate that the end point of this is probably a Carlson special into how the woke mob are making the diet coke lady less sexy