Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I wasn't allowed to have a smartphone until I was 18 and I turned into a depressed loser nerd with no friends, although that may have something to do with being the kind of person who posts on SA rather than not having a phone.

Seriously though it did suck extremely hard and made it difficult to stay in the loop on any social circle stuff going on, and I imagine that having 24/7 internet access and social media has only become more integrated into kids' social lives than when I was going through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

In high school my entire school communicated near-exclusively through Snapchat and Whatsapp so I basically just couldn't communicate with people outside of seeing them in person Monday-Friday. Which I guess might not seem like a big deal to olds but it really sucked. I have no idea what your daughter's situation is spacetoaster but in my experience not having a smartphone is a major obstacle to having a social life as a teen.

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Nov 1, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Outrail posted:

Kinda the old school equivalent of 'my parents don't let me go outside'

Yeah this is a good analogy

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Jeff Bezos has hoarded the wealth equivalent to the GDP of a medium-sized country, not the savings of a small town lol

E: beaten

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

What if, get this, the workers owned the means of production?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Look at this fuckin nerd

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The C-SPAMiest Pics thread went through a phase a few months ago trying to bias it to always save animals and homeless/criminals while running over every single rich briefcase person that showed up. Eventually people started getting scenarios like 3 dogs and 2 cats with no humans in a car can choose to crash into a wall or hit 5 executives in a crosswalk and it owned. I still think about those furry little comrades that managed to hijack a self-driving car and use it to murder rich people.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Skeleton King posted:

Didn’t Pepsi change their loving logo to that weird poo poo thy have now so they could maximize its gravitational pull?

It's important Sacred Geometry, ok?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmVMh-nT200

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Liberals think tax credits for blanket manufacturers and means-tested tax rebates for blanket purchasers will help cold people survive the winter*

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That picture doesn't at all say ARE TROOPS to me, it's a white lady sitting in her corporate cocoon laughing at protesters getting tear gassed. Which seems pretty relevant for the past few years.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Start advertising your bottles as the superior Molotov construction material imo

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lol "cooking is reactionary" is such an incredibly powerful take I love it

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That's just an editing trick, like how they got a hundred Agent Smiths on screen in the Matrix, or Lindsay Lohan played both kids in The Parent Trap

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Dec 19, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

I really cant imagine why people aren't wearing the Sunday best to the mechanic shop

To be fair I think the intended meaning isn't "wear a suit to the machine shop," it's "wear comfortable jeans to the party." Which is a good and correct take, the only acceptable proletarian clothing is either an oil-stained jumpsuit or jeans and a sturdy shirt/jacket. Fancy clothes are reactionary, sorry, I don't make the rules.

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Dec 20, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lol it's a money laundering scheme
https://twitter.com/InsectophileJim/status/1075800512207847424

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I know you're sheltered, but there are lots of sports besides cheerleading.

You'll be pleased to know we're well on our way!

What exactly qualifies a kid as "bottom percentile"? Also, what are they being deprived of? :allears:

Lol why are you poting in CSPAM I thought they only let gay communists past the front door

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Bushiz posted:

There exists a real danger as a fat person if you go to the free weights that one dozen perfect wrestlers will come over and immediately try to be your friend and help you find out how to become very strong.

God drat where are all the hardbodied wrestlers coming to help my fat rear end get not fat, I need to go start lifting in the big gym full of people or something instead of the empty community one because that sounds lit

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I grew up on a farm and the washing machine everyone uses came out of a WWII aircraft carrier and is still working with no maintenance to this day. Apparently it was bought back in the 50's for like $3 because the government was surplussing it out for scrap value after taking apart the ship it was in. It's a massive loving contraption of steel and various dangerous looking whirly bits, though, so probably not the kind of thing you can fit in your apartment.

So I guess the moral of the story is, as always, if you want good things in life just be a Boomer who got to enjoy the fruits of the 50's-70's and if you're not then get hosed.

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Jan 6, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Where's this parrot picture everyone keeps talking about?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Seriously though the bird is fine, it's got a shitton of toys and never has to worry about having enough calories and clean water, they just like to sleep while perched in high spots (like on top of ladders) with something to lean against (like a wall).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Personally I'm more fond of the drone from the same post that automatically figures out how to murder the most civilians possible in a crowd that only comes with instructions in English, Hebrew, and Arabic.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

"Sick-outs" are already happening, yeah, call in pretending to be sick, but eventually you run out of sick days.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Former DILF posted:

Dying fuckin owns :cool:

real dethkrew hours

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Looks like a trap option to me, I feel like the medical bills you'd acquire are even more insane because lol healthcare

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

ted hitler posted:

https://kioneki.com/2019/04/09/how-paypal-and-the-uk-are-nudging-kenyan-writers-to-use-bitcoin/

A spat between the UK government, PayPal and Kenya freelancers has got everyone mixing up issues.

“Thousands of jobless graduates from Kenya who help lazy university students in developed countries to cheat academically could soon be forced to find something else to do after the UK government started clamping down on essay mills.

On Thursday, international digital money transfer service, PayPal, announced it was withdrawing its services to essay-writing firms selling to university students. This was after weeks of pressure from the UK government, which insists stopping payments for essay mills would go a long way in beating academic cheating.’ Daily Nation

There are 3 parts to this story.

First, the British Education Secretary, Damian Hinds, says when UK students tap cheap labor in Kenya for their assignments, it is unethical and cheating. 46 university vice chancellors last year wrote to Hinds, calling for the banning of cheating websites.

Secondly, PayPal is caught up in the wrangles for facilitating online payments between UK students and Kenyan freelancers. PayPal has come under pressure to stop processing these payments and declared it will not support unethical academic behaviour by UK graduates. Some people have suggested, cryptocurrency may serve well as an alternative for Kenyan freelancers.

Finally, in Kenya, we are all caught up debating whether it is cheating or job creation, as thousands of graduates are dependent on the thriving business for wages and employment.

Anything that extracts money from rich white kids is good imo

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It's not like they were actually gonna do the work either way, at least with online cheating services their trust fund money tends to flow into the global south instead of a "private tutor" their parents hired

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I very strongly hope it's got nothing to do with the yellow vests because if they DID burn it down they just killed the movement. But it's almost definitely nothing to do with them, more likely related to the renovation work that was going on.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ok look how about we do the whole population reduction thing but compromise and limit it to just exterminating white people

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Imagined posted:

the extremely uncontroversial statement that there are a) too many loving people

lol what

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

necroid posted:

lemme clarify my position in the way I always do when I get myself into this sort of talk:

I'm not saying that eating meat is unnatural. nature is uncaring and unforgiving, we all know this.

I'm also not saying that meat isn't delicious, I've eaten it for a big part of my life.

I always say that the only way I would eat meat again without feeling like a piece of poo poo would be by hunting and killing the animal myself, without giving myself any unfair advantages. the ideal scenario for anything harder to catch/kill than a fish or for a slow moving animal would be to use a bow or a spear built entirely by myself. I feel that doing it this way would make it a more satisfying and more respectful meal, and it would also make it a much harder process, meaning I would do it less often.

if you're saying that you hunt your own meat, good for you. if you're raising your own animals in a sustainable way without unnecessary pain and cruelty, good for you. if you get your meat from people that raise or hunt the animals in respectful ways and you know for sure that they do, good for you.

if you're getting your meat from restaurants, supermarkets or fast food chains without really knowing where it comes from you can be sure that it's coming from hellholes like the one in the video I posted before, thanks to capitalism

just try to inform yourself instead of ignoring the obvious (you in general, not you spacetoaster specifically)

edit: fixed some typos because I've typed all this very fast before leaving for a couple of hours

lol this is your brain on liberalism

What the gently caress even is an "unfair advantage", when were there ever rules of gentlemanly fair play in eating things? Giving animals a chance to kill you back (and killing them slowly and painfully with primitive poking sticks instead of quick and clean with a bolt gun) is the dumbest loving thing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Beyond Burgers own and I love them but yeah my broke rear end can't afford them too often, hopefully the price will come down as the technology matures. On the other hand, lol capitalism.

Edit: Pigs are cool and good and most importantly really smart, out of all the traditional livestock I think they're the ones the humanitarian arguments are strongest against. Pork isn't even that good.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

GDP is a completely meaningless metric at any point before the industrial era and even then it's still varying levels of dumb and misleading

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Deified Data posted:

Anyone see Progressive's new slate of ads basically shaming 20-somethings into getting off their parents' insurance by insinuating there's some sort of "failure to launch" going on if you're on their plan past age 18?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lu7QlfCRzY

Incredibly powerful Boomer energy radiating off this video

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Nastier Nate posted:

how is this a concession? they still make money off having a healthy 26 year old customer.

They're making slightly less money than the theoretical maximum possible and that just won't do

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like there's gotta be a lot of people out there making ironic jokes about guillotines but actually are just kind of waiting for someone to start things off.

I feel personally attacked by this post

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

There's a driver strike planned or something?

Yeah Uber and Lyft drivers are going on strike all day Wednesday May 8th, spread the word and don't cross a picket line

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Spazzle posted:

Counterpoint: they are a bunch of scabs actively ruining public transit.

Counter-counterpoint: If the strike's successful enough it'll spook the VC's and hasten the death of Uber and Lyft, as would them having to pay out more money to drivers. They're already not profitable, if they have less coming in and more going out they'll burn down even faster and we can put all this silliness behind us.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They could very well be including poo poo like soap and shampoo and razors for just everyday bathing/grooming at home. Taking showers and eating food, now optional apparently.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Purebreds are Dog Hapsburgs, not Dog Ubermenschen lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

How are you feeding five people for literal pocket change