Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ate all the Oreos posted:

This was posted like 10 posts ago, but since you found it too: Wouldn't the suggestion box being empty mean your employees aren't engaged in their job or bringing you useful ideas :colbert:

I do enjoy the idea that every Friday is Halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Also, if your business is constantly behind schedule, isn't that more of a management problem?

Management cannot fail, it can only be failed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

It's like standard office shenanigans like Hawaiian shirt day or crazy hat day, dumb bullshit to try and fool you into believing work is fun and these people are your friends

I make sure to let my coworkers know that we're never going to be friends.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Satan was the good guy the whole time!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I think it's cool that you keep a diary that includes a snapshot into quiet suburban hell.

I kinda want to read more of Pick's diary now :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

comedyblissoption posted:

"At-will employment" is the policy that lets employers fire you for any reason or no reason at all (except if it would violate federal discrimination laws, but good luck proving that).

"Right-to-work" is the policy that means non-union members at a workplace do not have to pay union dues while receiving all the material benefits of being a union member (aka enforcing freeloading to bust unions).

During the monthly all hands meetings at a former job, the CFO would get up and remind everyone of their at will employment status. Basically she would get up there and tell us that she could fire any of us at any time because it was "not a right to work state."

This happened every single month that I worked there

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

Americans are getting absolutely annihilated by their corporations and it's incredibly weird that they're not causing more poo poo about it. Your work conditions are atrocious

Are americans just unaware of how it SHOULD be or do they just not give a gently caress

But my friend, have you heard about bootstraps?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oscar Wild posted:

Did she have a visible erection while saying this?

Absolutely. She was refered to around the office as "six inch clit," and the only time you ever saw her smile was the days when someone got fired.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I wouldn't be so sure buddy, I've had a lot of people outright refuse to believe me when I tell them about Europe's mandatory vacation time or maternity leave.

A lot of people view that as Europeans being lazy and inferior to red blooded Americans!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calico Heart posted:

I can, however, announce I'm leaving and then take any vacation days I haven't taken yet and be paid for them. I actually had a super-decent boss who when they let me go reminded me I had vacation days I hadn't taken and said there were no hard feelings if I used them up in the two-week period.

PTO isn't a legal right in the US, if you have extra PTO, they can most definitely refuse to give you those vacation days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

At my last job someone did the whole "give two weeks notice then go on vacation" thing so they fired them after one day out as one last gently caress-you I guess

I once worked a job, and they tried to convince me that in order to get into the position I wanted, I would have to quit, and they would rehire me as a contractor. Of course when you quit, you lose all the perks, and you're lucky if a temp agency will give you anything. I basically refused until they quietly moved me over.

The thing that always got me about that job was that they hired a lot of immigrants who's primary language wasn't English, so I'm sure they had managed to get away with that scummy poo poo before.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

So what you're saying is that Americans are completely brainwashed and that the bad guys won, in your country?

basically, yes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

cnut posted:

I'm thinking "put down the vodka bottle and drink coffee instead".

Why not drink vodka with your coffee?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

g0lbez posted:

Mexican is terrible and overrated. Let's throw a bunch of slimy onions and peppers on literally everything, throw some mushy bean poo poo on top and call it a day

Not everything can be chicken tendies

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

aphid_licker posted:

I switched to prechopped garlic and I'm never going back. So convenient.

What's wrong with you?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Former DILF posted:

You don’t need to mash garlic to get the peel off, just rub it between your hands it comes right off and your garlic stays firm

or get a garlic peeler

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hom...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

boar guy posted:

what? it works amazingly well

maybe the problem is that you're using a knife to peel garlic? i dunno

Yeah, just roll it back and forth for about 3 seconds and boom, peeled garlic

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty sure that people who don't drink also don't really go anywhere either, case in point, my parents just sit around all day watching HGTV

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

madmatt112 posted:

The fact that you think drinking is a prerequisite for being interesting tells me you're not interesting and you know it deep down.

Hey! I drink alcohol, therefore I am interesting!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I feel like the majority of people who watch HGTV do so with a glass of wine or bud light in the drink holder of their couch.

Not my parents, they're sober the whole time and enjoy it when those kids are so stupid because there's no way they can get a house with stainless steel appliances on that budget!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fried Watermelon posted:

Keep drinking and accept your capitalism!

Dull your mind so the rich can enslave you because you're too hungover and stupid to revolt.

If we eat the rich we can also drink their booze!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That would be great when people start having bullet flowers growing out of old wounds

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chomp8645 posted:

At what point in history has Russia not been a wasteland of alcoholism?

Gorbachev attempted to curb alcoholism in Russia and effectively killed the USSR

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tino posted:

I do the frugal things and trade AA/milage points to gas cards on points.com.

I rode on business class once with "free" cc points, honestly was not impressed.

You were flying domestically within the US weren't you? Basically the difference between business class and coach is a little more leg room and maybe 2 seats in the section instead of 3.

If you really want the good seats you have to fly outside of the US.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, basically the US carriers suck a fat one. There's no incentive to upgrade, and they can charge whatever they want, so you're stuck sitting on a hard rear end seat that's been in the air for 25 years because what are you going to do about it?

Also, they overbook all the flights because reasons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In about 1999, I got my first credit card, it had a limit of $300. By the time 2005 rolled around the limit among the 3 cards I had was around $20,000. Needless to say 2004-2006 was a time where I worked 3rd shift in a new city where I didn't know anyone and I managed to max out all of those bitches.

I really don't recommend it because most people won't be able to weasel out of that much credit card debt, but I did because I managed to be unemployed a lot, and eventually they gave up around 2012.

These days I have one credit card with a $1500 limit that I really just use for my little subscriptions like Hulu or Netflix that like to get charged at inopportune times..

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"you're not supposed to live off of minimum wage" :downs:
--An actual argument I've heard against raising the minimum wage, said by multiple people over the years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Metallica has pretty much sucked since the 80's ended. These days they exist to make corporate suits feel like they're still in touch. I don't listen to the radio much these days, but I do recall rock stations having a ~30 minute block of "Mandatory Metallica" starting around 2000. I certainly don't think they're mainstream relevant these days, but there are a lot of people who have forgotten how they're piss babbies and will defend everything they put out. Megadeth was always the better band even if Dave Mustaine has always been an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Fuckin never stops pissing me off that all the big rock stations go to ads at the exact same time so you can't avoid commercials without turning the radio off.

I straddle two markets, and I think this extends to songs as well. There are a few songs that I seem to encounter at approximately the same time, it's not like they're even new songs that are getting pushed, it's old stuff like Spoonman.
There have also been multiple occasions when I have switched stations only to find the exact same song playing, or it's the next song, again it's always old stuff :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elman posted:

The world came extremely close to nuclear war multiple times, though?

At this point, nuclear winter would be good and cool

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

soy posted:

Or it did and we're actually all just brains in a vat plugged into a lovely simulation. Mostly for masturbatory purposes.

Nice, I'm a simulation for some robot's spank bank!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

metallica started sucking the moment cliff burton was crushed by a bus. with burton writing songs metallica was a less embarassing, heavier iron maiden

Are you calling Iron Maiden is an embarrassment? :toughguy:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and ...and Justice for All are loving great albums. Agreed that it’s all poo poo after there though. Back in the day though they were doing some innovative stuff with metal.

Kill 'Em All is a great first album, but yeah, Metallica is a band that had a really good short run that somehow just kept going. Had they disbanded at any time before the black album, they'd probably be considered the greatest metal band of all time. Now they're on par with the Simpsons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I learned about the Khian Sea this morning. At least now instead of attempting to ship our poo poo to poor countries, we just ship it to poor counties!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shima Honnou posted:

I dunno it looks like you can sit in that Amazon cagebot which already makes it an improvement over having to stand or walk at all times except during break, which is what you normally do when you work for Amazon.

Plus, it'll later evolve into a mec suit

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Owlbear Camus posted:

"Let's get rid of professional licences because rational actors will know not to go back to the 'doctor' who killed the one kid with quack treatments when the other kid gets sick. The Market will sort itself out."

It took way too long for me to convince my roommate that the Laser Spine Institute would in fact not fix the problems she has with her spine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I live next to no fewer than three different spine-related companies, LaserSpine (which has a cool building with a roof shaped like a spine), BioSpine and something I forgot the name of. I have no idea what any of them do or how they're supposed to fix your spine but they seem to be doing really well

Basically it's predatory on people who can get enough money to attempt to get their backs fixed non-surgically.
Seriously, if they're all using lasers, all they do is take a laser and heat up your discs. They claim that it returns bulging or herniated discs to it's normal shape, but there's really no data that indicates how effective it is let alone how long such a snake oil treatment lasts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I always assumed they were just treating pain, since I'd think you might be able to cure like, chronic / otherwise untreatable pain using lasers by just blasting the nerves so they can't transmit anymore, but lol of course it's even dumber than that

Yeah, that was what my assumption was, or maybe shaving some burrs off or something like that. A treatment to minor spine issues from normal wear and tear. Nope, it was literally something that was cashing in on the 80's obsession with lasers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

We have a word for people obsessed with children

Conservative?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

I subbed for a kindergarten teacher today. This is how they teach the alphabet to 5-6 year olds now:

It was corporations the whole way across the room.

What were the rest of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

the only ethical consumption under capitalism is Zoobooks

I remember Ranger Rick being a cool raccoon.