Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ate all the Oreos posted:

I and everyone I know who's salary works 8 to 5 or 9 to 6

Oh weird because I work 10am to 4pm and at least 1 hour of that I'm playing video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When my company did mandatory personality tests I didn't do it and then lied about the results and it saved me a lot of time. They went around the room in multiple meetings asking about your "personality color" and how that was informing a decision you were making. I just told them my color was red, and as an A-type high energy extrovert I could feel it in my gut that my choices were right.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fashionable Jorts posted:

This isn't that wild of an idea. A lot of people are better at opening up to non-human therapy, since you don't feel judged. There's a few programs out there that give veterans with PTSD a dog, because they can confide all of their fears and anxieties into a cute dog.

Hopefully this chatbot would just be the first step in someone's therapy, where they would then eventually go talk to a person, but it's definitely a good idea if it's built right.

Pro: you don't feel judged
Con: your medical data is smeared all over the internet and amazon starts suggesting herpes creme

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Whoa just got an idea for a great mixed drink.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I had a Ben and Jerry's ad that spoke my name. Im never eating ice cream again

They said "marxist-jezzinist" in a commercial??

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're like the glasses from They Live, except when you put them on racism against black people becomes invisible

So they're just normal glasses?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

T-man posted:

I have a magic butt plug that makes transphobia show up in the auras around you, $300 and you'll need your own jo crystal

Ok, so its just a normal butt plug?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RockyB posted:

Ineffectually protest (at least go blow up an oil pipeline or something) and hand yourself over to the cops.

You first coward.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The article says the game is more complex than that. Sounds like its a collection of mini-games and you spend in-game currency to play them, which you get for free, but you can buy more with real cash. One of those games is a slot machine style game but its got some multiplayer or clan system and it sounds way more complex than a normal slot machine.

The game's total monthly cash flow is in a chart in the article and if someone spent 100,000 in a year they were 1/10th of the game's total revenue.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Some evictions are more humane than others, so I think this is an area where the police could really help communities by doing evictions "the right way".

Specifically an eviction is more humane when the person being evicted has more money. All we have to do is determine the number of people who need to be evicted and then start with the richest person and work our way down the list until we've evicted enough people. This would neatly solve the problem with the least distress possible.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I'm in favor of this in the context of the government becoming the only landlord.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Len posted:

My sample size is small but as an Ohioan this isn't done by most people. The only sample size I have any information about is work and it's the people pushing their 50s that pull the wipers up when it snows

It doesnt do anything. If your poo poo gets coated in ice you have to melt it all with your defrosters anyway so leave them against the glass. The farther north you go the less people do this. Here in VA 90% of people do for 1cm of snow, but in MI nobody would for a foot of snow.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Its anonymous because the boss writes all the questions.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The idea of passive income is so ridiculous I have to regulate myself to only think about it for a few seconds at a time to avoid having a stroke.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Working an idle-game IT job is hell. You just sit there stressed out assuming everyone is mad at you because you're too depressed to work but too anxious not to try and spin your wheels watching lovely twitch streams just drowning in stress. It's poo poo. It's a blessing during a pandemic but without the pandemic I would prefer any other job I've done before, except that I require health insurance and the ability to retire at some point. Being a janitor, working at a factory, cooking at the restaurant, etc.

The highest quality of work is social, outdoors, in-person, communal and voluntary. Basically being Amish but with social safety nets, beneficial technology and healthcare.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I bought a car in 2015 and it was my first time buying from a dealership. I went to one and test drove a car, and then got a printout with a quote on it. I told the sales guy "This is great, thank you, but I do need to shop around a bit more and compare a few prices". The dude reached out and snatched the printout from my hands, ripped it up, and told me "the deals off then, we can't give you that price". I was stunned honestly like actually stunned. I told him "fine, that's not going to stop me from shopping around" and left.

As I'm driving away from the dealership I get a phonecall, obviously from the dealership. I bounced it and checked the voice mail later and its like "hey man, this is the manager wow I heard you weren't happy about the price we offered you please give me a call back right away so we can talk" and gently caress that what the hell? It was like being in a sitcom about buying a car or something. I've never had an adult snatch an item out of my hands like that before it was like in Always Sunny when Mac grabs the contract from the lawyer and eats it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried that once and every dealership sent me the exact same number.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Number of pockets can be an indicator of personality, but only for very large or very small numbers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

little munchkin posted:

normal human being: I like the color green. It's pretty

cspam poster: I actually feel bad for you

I just like camouflage pattern soap, I didn't buy it because it's "for men" what do you mean what's wrong with me?? It was only 15 dollars for 5 bars.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Proust Malone posted:

on the topic of overthinking car colors, I feel unsettled about the current fashion of drab and matte colors on cars, or even more on trucks. They evoke this weirdly fascistic aesthetic of masculinity you find in things like toiletries where the men’s stuff is just Spartan and grey to avoid the risk a color might threaten my delicate hold on my heterosexuality.

I need my poo poo bland as possible because
colors are for queers.

Yup that truck is "super white".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shame Boy posted:

I used TrueCar to get a TrueCar Price that I took into the dealer and paid and it was fine

If you think you got a good deal on a new car and it was painless to buy you probably got wrecked.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Orange Devil posted:

I wish you could make this girl switch places with the other girl for like, a week, just so she can then incessantly pester her loaded parents about why they don't help people like her classmates. And also because it might, just might, save this girl from becoming a horrible person deserving of a guillotine.

I think theres a disney movie about this.

Failed Imagineer posted:

See this is a perfect example of how they get you - you probably only went in that day looking to buy one car, but then the upselling starts...

lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Did you know that war is very bad? Heh.. bet you didn't :smug:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vox Nihili posted:

Amazon makes all their money on cloud hosting these days. They continue to run their monstrous & inhumane nightmare logistics program purely as an inside joke.

Um well actually I think you will find that its to crush all competitors by deliberately running amazon.com at a loss while funding the project by selling facial recognition technologies to anyone who's looking to do some genocide.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Nastier Nate posted:

$660,000??!? It doesn't even come with Duck Hunt!

what a rip off

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's good to boycott Amazon even if the effort is too small to damage Amazon through some market mechanism, or even if you redirect your money into a different company that's evil. It gets people talking and thinking about the problem and it creates a daily/weekly touch point where you can reflect on how lovely capitalism is.

We've already seen this be effective though, like when Bernie scared them into paying 15/hr. It's important not to insist that we solve every problem at once and let people get mad about this stuff and take action even when that action isn't perfect.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is the same poo poo you see in the cspam climate thread. A bunch of people that love driving, or love amazon prime, and their arguments about hopelessness of any struggle are self serving excuses to keep their exact current lifestyle.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

indigi posted:

nobody loves Amazon prime you absolute dipshit

What's the difference between what you're saying and what someone would say as a cognitive dissonance solution because they just actually love using amazon and can't imagine giving it up? I can't think of any which is why I can't take that side. I would just question my own motives too much and it'd freak me out.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I didn't think that you'd have an answer.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jetz0r posted:

haha, you fake leftists bought a toothbrush with 267 units of evil, but my toothbrush only has 253 UoE! my $1.99 contributed to less suffering than yours, get hosed nerds

gently caress amazon, gently caress every huge corp, don't give them money if you can help it

but you're not some bastion of morality because you bought your chicken nuggets at a bodega or winco

I understand what people are saying. You have to interact with capitalism to survive and there's no "right" thing to do. But understanding that and getting on with it is different than jumping on someone for trying to do the right thing. If people want to boycott amazon good. gently caress them and that's it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm talking about actionjackon's posts I didn't read any of the posts by muscle wizard because I suspect their avatar might be horny.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PokeJoe posted:

you just need to be an informed consumer guys. you should just have an expert level knowledge on the supply chain to make sure the seafood you buy isn't slave harvested from a protected area, the chocolate you buy isn't picked by children, the coconuts you buy aren't from monkeys, the beef was treated kindly, the chickens could walk around freely. make sure your fruits and vegetables weren't picked by exploited immigrants. make sure every single thing you buy doesn't have palm oil from deforested areas. make sure the metals in your car were ethically sourced. then you can pick the right retailer at the very end of the system. if you don't do all this research you're a bad leftist

All the scrutiny on Amazon distribution centers actually did force them to raise wages to 15/hr and led directly to a serious unionization effort.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PokeJoe posted:

was that the result of a boycott or bad press?

I think bad press, social media criticism, political pressure and boycotts are all connected. When you see chuds posting about boycotting coke they know that the actual market pressure is nothing, but the social media backlash can make things happen. If they can generate a meme that ted cruz wants to latch onto they might end up with an actual change taking place.

I view boycotts like propaganda. It's just to get people talking about it. I know Amazon issues crazy press releases and gets all worked up about mean tweets, we saw that on the amazonnews twitter account this month. I think at the executive level they are operating under some illusion of being normal people and it bugs them to see wide swaths of the internet talking poo poo about them, and then combined with political pressure like from Bernie on the $15/hr they end up giving up some ground to try to placate people.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Empress Brosephine posted:

For being the .png thread there sure is alot of .txt in these past few pages

And yet your post is made of text. Very curious, (i'm very intelligent).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I don't see the issue here this guy is already dead.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

skooma512 posted:

We won’t outlaw unions, just anything a union might ever do.

Similar to protests. We respect the 1st amendment and your right to protest, which is why any protest we don’t like is a “riot” and illegal.

Free speech zone in a chain linked fence 10 miles from an event.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I thought the KKK split into two groups, you had the conservatives hating black/blown people and then the sovcits hating jews and catholics.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shame Boy posted:

Man if the KKK has split up and now only hates one or the other, someone should probably tell the KKK about that I think they'd want to know.

Hell I can probably do it in person, there's a wizarding cabal or whatever the gently caress they call it like an hour north of here

Is this sarcasm?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I'll take two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Working by age 15? My god, if you work that hard you surely must be a billionaire now!