Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Turns out we got STEMinists from Raytheon, Pratt & Whitney and Collins Aerospace, all your favorite terrifying hell machine companies here to inspire the next generation! You go girls!!

https://twitter.com/jkmgarofano/status/1283105647819661312

"Well, my best advice would be to destroy the voice inside you that says it's wrong to profit from the killing of others. ^^"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ill have one MegaBux.

And one Lucky Irish

<scritch scritch scritch>

mmm

...gimme two MegaBux

and one PotOGold

and a 7 Flush...

mmm

and one Cash Magic
thank you

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Is it a hard G or a soft g

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Len posted:

I will never understand why people think Muskrat is going to save humanity. His entire contribution is throwing money at engineers and telling them form over function

it’s
a
cult

look around you. literally everything is a loving cult. shopping, landlording, truck driving, hat wearing, etc etc etc. it’s just not couched in medieval or far future sci-fi narratives.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Preen Dog posted:

?
Baking flour is cheaper than the grocery store, I don't have to leave the house, and I get a free box.

this is a good summary of the fundamental problems we’re facing.

“my convenience is nice and I don’t see the horrors that must exist for it to be, :shobon:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

WIC is useless and should be rolled into EBT.
There is no reason why paper vouchers are necessary to make sure a gallon of milk, a bag of brown rice or wheat bread, two cans of tuna, and $10 in fruit and vegetable get purchased every two weeks.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

If we provide cash assitance and education about how to grow drugs, then poor people won't need to spend the money on drugs.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I've only ever seen joke articles make that exact argument, but while checking to see if I could find anything else I found this idiot medium post:

https://medium.com/@chaerinkwon/post-parasite-analysis-6d9e5049ab18

:thunk:

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

*thinking real loving hard*:

But then:

:thumbsup:

e: Spoilered a little thing but I'm not sure it's that much of a spoiler really

this reads like a recent review of Homework by Daft Punk my missus found

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Amphigory posted:

I would very much like to see that

i might be able to find it...imagine some dude in his 20s, internet writer with a word quota, listening to Homework for the first time and reviewing it with no context, no understanding of the time it was made, etc. etc.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i would play a captain planet game that was like those prototype games where you just fly around destroying human infrastructure and humans until the world is cleaned of us

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

What do you guys think is the issue? I'm guessing low income parents are so covered in debt/stress/multiple jobs that they either didn't know about the program, or they just didn't think they could do it.

“I can’t take my kid there if I have to pick them up at lunch time”

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Len posted:

I think it's some sodium/acid combo? I could ask tomorrow but that would mean talking to her and I try not to do that

hey marj, my friends on the internet want to know what you take every day to stay so healthy and also what they need to say to not pay taxes

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I remember watching a piece on some SA country where collecting rain water was illegal. it showed cops overturning buckets on rooftops.

i remember thinking it was ridiculous at the time but now I know that it was a sign that it was coming to the US and probably Canada after 10 years once it’s been normalized

it was illegal in colorado until a few years ago

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

:guillotine: realtors, landlords, and the housing market

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/nuba2r/realtor_neighbor_wants_property_removed_from/

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Underwear is a garment. I'd have thought most people would go through at least 60 underwears in 10 years. You nasty. j/k

Quality can be the difference. As a kid I was astounded to hear one of my mom's friends bought a pair of $80 shorts. They didn't look like anything, just long khaki shorts. WTF? I'd never even seen a pair of shorts for sale for more than $20 at the stores we shopped at. Of course the difference was that this lady expected her clothes to last 10+ years, and look the same all that time. The shorts my mom bought would look okay the first summer, shabby the second summer, and be falling apart and shameful by the third summer.

And those were the good old days. You can buy a cheap 'fast fashion' t-shirt from walmart and have it falling apart by the third wash. Inexpensive, but unlikely to survive 10 washes, never mind 10 years. Disposable clothing.

I’ve still goonfleet and eve fanfest tshirts from 2007 I wore all the time and they are definitely not expensively woven garments what are you talking about a tshirt is a tshirt and Ross is full of $60 button up shirts that just didn’t sell if you think msrp means something in Hell, where we are.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Jun 22, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I paid $120 for a pair of merrell shoes thinking terry pratchet was right, but the world fully moved on to abject Hell before he began to lose his cognition, and the shoes fell apart on me within a week.

I wore them to the tattoo shop three times and cut the grass with them once.

that commander vimes bullshit might be true on the discworld (it isn’t, see c.m.o.t. dibbler) but it sure as poo poo doesn’t hold weight on ours.

it’s more like a parabolic curve if you really give it some thought.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Jun 22, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Housing is really expensive now, so retroactively every character that lived in a house is rich. Waltons? Rich. Dukes of Hazard? Rich. All in the Family? They actually paid off their mortgage during the run of the show, hella rich.

see: all the casual mansions every sitcom family lived in

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

weird. I've got two kids under 12 years old so I'm acutely aware of it every waking moment of my life.

loving LOVE feeling like we’ve had a two year long summer vacation and I can’t get the hell away from these kids ever, we take turns getting groceries alone because it’s the only break other than work

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People are so loving dumb with The Simpsons they like to say "It started off as a down to earth show about a struggling middle class family it could've been a live action sitcom in the first season without changing anything." When literally they go to a very expensive opera show in episode 2 and Homer gets nationally recognized as being some kind of ape creature in episode 7.

homer tries to drive over protestors in a truck in something like the 4th episode.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

turns out nobody is good and humans deserve an expedited non-existence for the blood we wade through daily

Danaru posted:

Incidentally a bi werewolf is completely insufferable

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tesla owners in Florida choosing to drown themselves inside a Tesla, inside a Tesla tunnel.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

has anyone a BBC reference yet

(as in that vent looks like a black penis giving it to the tunnel, not the television company producing a 17th century docuseries)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I was like "I bet there's at least one idiot in the twitter replies" and was not disappointed

https://twitter.com/WeisLime/status/1412916277425881092

“Dad, runner, deep history nerd, supply chain, vagabond, was not aware I had to have a position on the royals, ethnic Catholic.”

weird, he forgot, “literal pile of poo poo baking in the hot summer sun”

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

what the hell is ethnic catholic? doesn't that just mean italian?

sounds like something with hints of "not a jew" to me

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is just a punk squat house except everyone pays like $2000/mo to live there

seriously, people have been doing this forever.
i really dislike anyone who says the word "entrepreneur" seriously

i am harry has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Jul 10, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

really dig sharing my bedroom with my beloved partner, and a guy named mike who sleeps on the other side of this foldable screen

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

these 16 people are paying more than $16000 a month to live like that?!?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

British workers at the malt liquor plant were among the only ones not to contract cholera during that outbreak. Because they drank almost exclusively malt liquor run-off.

chips rolled up in a newspaper and a mug of that stuff, what the hell else do you need in life!?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gorson posted:

I have a friend who's body has been sacrificed to capitalism and he has a myriad of long term injuries and what could effectively be called PTSD about human interaction from so much service industry work. He tells me he feels worthless and guilty for signing up for gov't assistance. It's very sad what our work culture and propaganda does to people long-term.

he paid into it his entire life and he’s withdrawing some in the normal manner for which it is intended

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Grimdude posted:

I finally boiled it down to the simple philosophical question of "would you steal food to feed your starving family?" The response I got was "there's always another way."

Completely and irrecoverably cucked by capitalism. To the point of hesitation when it comes to stealing negligible amounts of wealth in order to not die yourself.

you have to submit to a Meyers Briggs personality test to be considered for hiring, and in the test they explicitly ask you how you feel about a fellow employee stealing a stapler from the place that has yet to hire you or give you any money.
your answer must involve notifying law enforcement and management, or you will not be considered for the position, and will receive no notification that your application and relevant experience is no longer valid.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I don’t want to loving work anymore god damnit

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ArmZ posted:

According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[16] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier.

i lost consciousness halfway through reading this sleeper of a sentence and woke up having already scrolled past the rest of the words in that post.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

those sound like the sort of academics who call the police on pic walking their dogs in a park.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

please god do not revive the discussion about any system of measurement that isn't based on 10s. there is nothing to say and anyone supporting the value of an "inch" is a complete idiot who miraculously figured out how to transfer money online to register an account.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

getting some weird mc escher feelings from the broken perspectives in this

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

“CAPITALISM!” -

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Laterite posted:

I priced this out one time just to see what it would end up being and lol:

doesn't include WA sales tax which is ~10% depending on the municipality

what is the culinary collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

what on reddit isnt unbearable to read and full of white men snidely defending everything they have and do?

Shame Boy posted:

Read a few more posts and you'll find out, it's real disappointing though.

Doggles posted:

It comes with the culinary collection! It may be an ugly rear end car, but that's the sacrifice the upper class are willing to make to bypass speaking to plebs at a restaurant to book a reservation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82J_303SyMo

god can you imagine having a conversation with the sort of rear end in a top hat who buys a 100k suv and then uses this?!

i am harry has issued a correction as of 14:54 on Jul 26, 2021