Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tetracube posted:

Why even have wages? We should trust our benevolent CEOs to give their employees as much pay as their work merits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neutrino posted:

The funny thing is that he's kinda right. Most public libraries in the US began as donations to communities by mega-capitalist, Andrew Carnegie.

That doesn't make it kinda right.

There was no suggestion of charity.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

So what do you do with the RingCam attachment after this, throw it away? Use it to present other fun small trinkets? Put a cat treat in it and film your cat's gross mouth right up close?

I mean, in fairness, it probably costs 0.0001% of the cost of that ring and you can move the decimal point left again once you can just order one from aliexpress.

You throw it away. In the trash. With your dignity.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
UBI cannot be an "instead of" it must be an "in addition to"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

How would this thread do in dnd?

Fine, but there'd be even more words and even fewer pictures.

Fewer chuds too, though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inept posted:

I know UBI is bad because Reddit morons and Musk worshippers talk about it constantly

Sounds like maybe you spend too much time listening to idiots

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

This is extremely moronic. For so many reasons.

The entire bootstraps argument is centered around some ideological bullshit saying "it isn't EVER the system that is at fault for not providing enough (decently paying) work to people who want to work, it is YOUR FAULT ALWAYS as the individual."

"The system" is everyone
Everyone includes me
it's not my fault

Therefore, it's not the system's fault

Bootstrappers are super ignorant about complex systems

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving "spendy"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

I can't get mad about some dude stealing a bike getting caught whether it was planted or not. gently caress bike thieves

Yeah, if this was a sting operation for a known/suspected repeat bike thief then fine, but if this was just entrapment bullshit preying on the desperate then gently caress that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

Who's to say the bike owner isn't desperate as well? I can't afford a car like 99% of the population so I'm stuck with a bike and idgaf if you're "desperate" don't steal someone else's poo poo. gently caress sting operations in general but I still cannot get mad about stings specifically centered around thievery and stealing other people's money (if they are not rich anyway)

They were apparently leaving $1000+ bikes lying around unattended and unlocked in poor neighborhoods

That's rich people poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Devonaut posted:

yeah, you could say they're asking for it

Well, rich people are always asking for it but in this case it's the cops who were being fuckheads by intentionally trying to create grand larceny where only random petty opportunity crimes existed just to put a minority in prison

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

hold on lemme set up this sting and pay cops to sit around waiting for somebody to steal this *checks notes* broken down 1991 chevy cavalier

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

What was his doctorate in again?

Not marketing, apparently

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snuffman posted:

Reminds me of when I worked at a bookstore, and we'd rip up the old mass market paperbacks and rip off the cover. Throw the torn up book in the recycling bin, send the cover back to the publisher. We might think the book is worthless, but we should also prevent anyone from reading it!

:smith:

:eng101: this is why mass market paperbacks have that line in the front of notifying the publisher if you got the book without a cover! :eng101:

I'm upset at how mass market paperback is being phased out in favor of trade paperback or whatever abomination those mass-market-width-but-the-height-of-trade-paperback abortions are.

Trade paperbacks are the worst of both worlds and twice the price

but our margins

gently caress you!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

good. phase it all out for digital
Digital has its place but physical books are cool and good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

broseph a kindle fire is $35, free if you have a phone, and there are millions of free books available for the reading

but by all means lets keep printing $300 textbooks with a paragraph in chapter 8 changed and make students re-buy them every year

The conversation wasn't about textbook bloat, dingus

In fact, my initial complaint was actually about publishers forcing increasing expenses for worse products.

Also lol if you think that textbook won't still be $300 but now you can't even sell it back once

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

if i were in college right now i would definitely bootleg every single textbook via .pdf. that scam needs to be over

Then you'd soon learn that part of what you buy with a new textbook in almost any non-humanities course is a login to the online testing/homework site and you literally can't do anything in the course without it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Do they share the printing quality of mass market paperbacks or of trade paperbacks?

They are in every way I can see just mass market paperbacks that are like 20% taller for reasons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely good for homeless and poor people to have to charge their books

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Going back to libraries that the poor and homeless use. They typically have power sockets.

I Don't feel like I maybe should even stay engaged with this, but they library might be miles from where they can safely sleep, across unsafe streets in inclement weather.

Also charging ports are finite and you may need to babysit it to make sure it isn't stolen.

It's just... an incredibly privileged position to not even see how these things are incredibly burdensome

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blast of Confetti posted:

maybe the sonic pic about consumption under capitalism isn't 100% serious

The gently caress you say

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are Funko Pops soft?

The beanie baby tags keep poking me

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To crap with that. I want a 3d printer that prints 4d printers that print pizzas.

If there were ever going to be 4D pizza printers I would have a pizza right now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Former DILF posted:

Haha nice emotions loser

quit virtue signaling. Emotions are a Chinese hoax

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Crosspost from some other drat place:

I can't say if it's real or not, but it has the truthiness plants crave

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm Lowtax Chloe

:chloe:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Plus they just said "bosses" not risk-taking entrepreneurs.

People have been gaslit into thinking it's ok for management to make a hundred times what workers make and it goes hand in hand with the attitude that someday YOU can be the rear end in a top hat if you just keep your nose to the grindstone and stop bellyaching

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Grocery Kart posted:

When things are labeled as 10 for $10 or whatever, you don’t have to buy that number to get the advertised price

Sometimes you do, but it will be clearly marked if so.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Not everything can be chicken tendies

Of course not, idiot

There's also pizza (pepperoni only) and mac n cheese (boxed, from powder)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Whenever I tell people I don't drink they look at me like I'm from the moon. Some get incredibly aggressive over it.

Same, or they feel entitled to interrogate me about it and aren't satisfied with true answers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

bunch of softies in here cant handle their carltons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

holy goddamn poo poo, The Onion

:wow:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh whoops she accidentally replied to the onion instead of McCain

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Halser posted:

think about the shareholders though

They can sharehold my balls

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nirvikalpa posted:

Why are you just sitting around and posting all the time? If you say you're going to go through with something why don't you you do it. Oh wait you are clearly a big pussy.

nice melt down gently caress up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazak posted:

It's a good question, I'm excited to hear what your response is

It's a stupid question because it relies on making extremely dumb assumptions

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazak posted:

Those assumptions being?

The primary dumb assumption baked into the question is that anyone thinks fast food workers should be making more than paramedics. No one does. That's dumb.

There are certainly people who would be perfectly happy if fast food workers and paramedics made the same amount of money if it was a real living wage, but barring Full Communism Now or some other pipe-dream, that's not what would happen. Jobs that need a scarce skill set and jobs that really suck to do will get paid more than other jobs simply because if an employee is doing a super stressful job that they don't really love and they can make the same money for doing a throwaway job, the stressful job is not going to be able to hire or keep anyone employed. So they are going to have to sweeten the pot somehow, and the simplest way is with higher pay.

Now, perhaps the best case scenario is that people get a basic income upon which they can live so that they can tell bosses to gently caress right off when they are being exploited or otherwise mistreated. This is actually the only way that genuine negotiation can happen between an employee and employer. The current system is inherently imbalanced to a ludicrous degree and anyone claiming that workers have a fair seat at the table are charlatans or idiots (or both)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Being rich is not a crime!!!!

yet :unsmigghh:

Being actually rich is evidence of multiple crimes, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

I can't understand this! If you worked a really stressful job, and then learned that a job you consider super easy and is always hiring is lobbying to get paid more than you are, why wouldn't you rally behind them? At worst, wouldn't you want the chance to quit your stressful job and work that one you think is super easy? Apparently not, because for some reason people don't consider a job being lovely as gently caress in and of itself to make a job harder and worthy of more compensation, while at the same time refusing to work it themselves because it doesn't pay enough to work such a lovely job.
If the minimum goes up for everyone, then wages will go up for everyone. It seems so loving obvious. Why do they think they get paid more than minimum wage now? How is this poo poo hard to understand, even when spoon fed to you?

I assume you are just mad at the issue and not at me as you appear to be?

Because, yeah we seem to be on the same side. Raise minimum wage to $25 right now and also give me a BI