Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I remeber when the cards against humanity guys wanted to give their factory workers In China a week paid vacation but they had to negotiate with the owner because they literally had no procedure in place to
Give employees paid time off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The Skeleton King posted:

I hope the super rich do go to Mars. I want them to experience firsthand what it’s like to live in a place with extreme resource limitations in which capitalism is utterly impossible. A place where there is nowhere to run or hide when things get uncomfortable for them.

Whether everyone lives or dies, at the very least the rich will not have a good time on Mars.

Mars isn't for the rich. Mars sucks...there aint poo poo there, there's no Broadway theater, no cocaine, no heated swimming pools. Mars is for us, when the super rich send a billion poors off to Mars to mine for resources they'll stave off climate change for a few decades and buy themselves some more time on earth.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Taintrunner posted:

I just paid 2700 this month for renting a three bedroom with my wife in the far east side of Queens

When my sister lived in Manhattan she paid about this much for a 1 bedroom apartment (adjusting for 2018 dollars).

The suburbs are a cancer for many reasons...but it's hard to blame people for living there because my mortgage on my 5 bedroom house is less than what you're paying for an apartment.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Darth Walrus posted:

I think most of the viewers are other children. When they're not watching poorly-made Korean CG clips of Elsa eating Spider-Man's fingers, anyway.

this is correct and i know that because my son loves that poo poo and we've had to really clamp down on what he can watch on YouTube. Sometimes he randomly blurts out "thanks for watching this video! please like and subscribe, the button right there!" and then mimes pointing to an imaginary button below him.

I know it sounds weird to watch other kids open toys, but it's not any weirder than watching grown adults buying appliances on HGTV or Fortnite streamers.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Also I mentioned The Nastier Nate's story to a friend just now and got this in reply:

Christ the future is weird.

I don't know how other parents feel but I at least acknowledge that's a hosed up aspiration. Or maybe I shouldn't...let's be honest how many opportunities are there gonna be to make a living wage for my kid in 20 years?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Sedisp posted:

So a nearby mall is opening a hospital in the abandoned Macy's Home which is attached to the food court.

Lol?

The department store is a relic from the 1950's. Now we just buy all our poo poo from a windowless warehouse using slave labor.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

60 weeks of salary, benefits and bonus? Sign me the gently caress up.

I like my job but if my boss came in and said I could quit and get that offer I'd be out of here so fast like one of those cartoon shilouttes

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ChipNDip posted:

2 weeks per year of service is typical in buy-outs, so only the old timers are getting that much. If there's any of them still around, it's like wining a mini-lottery if they were planning on retiring anyway. Lots of big companies have older workers that hold off on retirement and do the bare minimum to try and get a package.

I get 1 week per year at my current job if for some reason I got kicked out tomorrow. So given that Verizon was really trying to buy out as many people as possible they were probably being pretty generous.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I’m just gonna ask, how many sandwiches does $79 a month buy you?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

got any sevens posted:

fox news gets a fresh version every few months

There’s only 3 or 4 women on Fox News and they just change their outfits several times a day and sometimes switch out blonde wigs as they run from one studio to the next.
Prove me wrong.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The fact that Netflix was able to have a library of every DVD ever made was probably the biggest kick in the balls to blockbuster. Blockbuster always had these giant shelves set up with several inches of white space in between each title and they could have fit like 10 times as much content if they had organized it better. (Of course then they'd have to pay for and manage it for each store, instead of a centralized warehouse)

The no late fees and the convenience of sifting through a library online instead of driving to a store was icing on the cake.

They also had competition eventually from GameFly hitting them on video games. I rented secret of mana like 4 weekends in a row and some douche would always delete the save files before I could finish it. I understand this was a problem fixed by memory cards and later, attachable hard drives but it's pretty loving infuriating when your 12 years old and only have the weekend to SNES binge.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

EvilJoven posted:

I'm gonna be 40 in less than a year and own a house. I still feel like a child faking it.

For the first 6 months after my son was born I felt like any minute a real person was gonna show up at my house in a Benz and tailored suit and say "thanks for watching this baby for me while I was away for business. I'll take him off your hands and you can get back to playing with your magic cardboard game with pictures of dragons and wizards on it".

That didn't happen and he's 4 years old now so it's become evident I'm on my own.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

a 70 year old lawyer told me when he got his law degree from Penn State tuition was $200 a class...not even a credit.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
When I was a busboy all the servers tipped out to the managwr and a slice would go to me, the dishwasher, bartender, hostess etc in our checks at the end of the week. but there was no way of knowing if what I was getting every week was even close to accurate so at some point I assumed the boss just skimming off the top and that’s how he industry works.

Also when your 16 and get your paycheck your thought process is “holy poo poo $119!?! He’ll yea It’s party time bitches!”

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Antioch posted:

I modified the door access code on an old network closet so that I am the only one with access. I have a pillow and a blanket in there, and I try to sneak off for a 15-20 minute nap around 10 and again at 2.

It makes my whole day immediately and immeasurably better.

hey nap buddy.

i got a similar setup at my office. I'll pretend I'm leaving for lunch, then sneak down in the basement and use my lunch hour for a nap. It's a lifesaver especially if you have an infant at home.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Local Weather posted:

I miss stealing stuff from my job. My current job has nothing good to take, I haven't stolen anything good in like 5 years now. When I worked retail I got so much free stuff. Of course the pay is better outside of retail but no free stuff.

Sometimes I think back on all the stuff I ever stole from different jobs and I realize that I never felt bad about any of it, I still don't.

my bestie used to be an assistant manager at Gamestop for years and they fired him over $100 worth of stolen merchandise.

wait let me rephrase, they fired him because one of the drones working under him stole $100 worth of merchandise and my friend apparently didn't use his batman detective powers to find out and stop him.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I got an idea for a grift but I need someone to tell me if the science is possible: unvaccination pills so anti-vax idiots can take them instead of condemning their kids to death by preventable diseases.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Outrail posted:

The former Apple lawyer who was supposed to keep employees from insider trading has been charged with insider trading

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/13/sec-files-insider-trading-lawsuit-against-former-apple-lawyer.html

One job!
Okay!
Your job is to stop corruption, specially insider trading!
Okay!
What are you doing?!
Insider trading!

wait so the guy had a history of insider trading in 2011 and 12.

Did apple hire the guy who got busted for insider trading to prevent employees from insider trading, only for him to get busted again in 2018?

Sounds normal

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm posting this from Starbucks, suck it libs

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's the text of that article

how broken is your brain that you think that a retired couple needs a 7,000 sq ft home?

We (me, wife, 2 kids) just moved from a 1300sq ft cape cod to a 2900sq ft colonial and I still walk around thinking that my house is huge and I could wall off 2 rooms in this house and probably never notice.

My parents just downsized to a 2 bedroom condo and they're doing great....loving dumbass boomers...7,000 sq ft for a retired couple and maybe an rear end in a top hat cat...jfc

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

actionjackson posted:

lol Ray Dalio talking about wealth inequality on 60 minutes

total galaxy brain poo poo

ive seen him giving that spiel in a bunch of different places over the past couple years

he's really trying to earn a spot in the safe-from-guillotine line

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

At every baby shower I've been to the only guys were the ones forced along by their significant others and everyone was bored. There's usually some form of free food though so at least it isn't a complete waste of time

At my sisters baby shower all the women stayed at the house while my brother-in-law took all the men out for pizza. I felt that was a good solution.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Former DILF posted:

I’d take that offer in a second, the worst thing that could happen is I become free of both the bonds of life and debt

take a dive after a few kicks, bam free college

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

While looking something up I found out that the Nestle Purina PetCare Corporation Factory in Arizona has this really rad looking dystopic concrete monolith with the Purina logo on it:

QR codes getting lazy

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

slashing bankers pay: good
using the money to pay shareholders: gently caress

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

get that target employee an account

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

should have played Smite instead

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

comedyblissoption posted:

insurance companies were willing to concede in the rightwing affordable care act that children could remain on their parents' insurance until the age of 27, so I guess this is them wanting to renege on the minor concessions

how is this a concession? they still make money off having a healthy 26 year old customer.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

i applied for an unpaid internship back in my college days and it wasn't even a real interview. it was basically a 5 minute introduction and a "you've got the job if you want it, start monday" so not even any interview practice.

i turned it down because i got accepted for a paid internship the following week

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

When did literally everyone become an "associate" instead of "employee" by the way, that seems like a recent thing but I'm not really sure. It feels like some kind of sneaky implied PR hedge, to paint a picture of "oh they're not an employee of us they're an associate of ours"

What’s worse...being an associate or being a team member?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I look forward to passing down many soap related traditions to my children

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

I worked at Best Buy one Christmas season and can confirm this is a thing. Multiple managers each day would come by and ask why I was having such a hard time selling the plans and they wouldn't have a good reply to "because every time I bought it you guys screwed me over when it came to using it"

The only time I've ever bought a best buy protection plan was when my Wii controller stopped working so I bought a new one with a protection plan and the next day returned the broken one.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Moridin920 posted:

I have lost all trust in the tap water after finding out that apparently most of the country is on some Flint level lead pipes just waiting to become a disaster and also that the tap water can be lit on fire where fracking occurs.

Say what you will but water shouldn't be flammable.

e: also if you live anywhere near industry / coal / similar then that poo poo is probably seeping into the ground water

PFAS is all the rage now, it's even in the rich suburban neighborhoods

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

T-man posted:

Ya'll should try Phoenix, Arizona tap water. It's like drinking pool water, tastes awful and is sourced from the most bargain basement contractor pipes. And half of it goes to insane white people who want to have a lush green lawn in 120 degree heat.

Who would have known water from an uninhabitable desert would taste bad?

Chomp8645 posted:

"Arizona", AKA the Conservative Boneyard.

I call it west Florida

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Look at all this landfill fodder.

At least my board games are made out of cardboard and can be recycled

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

I had a root canal done at Sears Dental because I was away at college and it was the closest place that took my parents insurance. That entire semester it would swell up, pop, ooze blood and who knows what else. I went back and the dentist who took an x-ray and told me it was just healing and gave me an ibuprofen script.

The semester ended and I went to my normal dentist who took an x-ray and said "they missed a root"

I am wary of dentists now and try to never go to the.

I did not know Sears had a dental office. I’d say that’s your first problem but I used to go to sears optical for my eyes and the dr there was great. Id still be going to her except when I changed My insurance I had to go to their lovely office instead.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Spazzle posted:

This isn't really right at all. The house is the collateral, and in theory is greater than 100% of it. The down payment is just a buffer in case of market downturns (the loan is less than the value of the house).

This may be a dumb question (especially for someone’s who owns a home and should know) but what happens if you take a 30 year mortgage and pay for 29 years and miss only the last payment. Does the bank still repo the house and keep the entire auction proceeds? If so wouldn’t that be the ideal scenario for a bank?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

A co-worker told me he didn't want a bureaucrat deciding what kind of care he got. He was honestly surprised when I pointed out that that's the entire business model of the insurance industry.

government bureaucrats run death panels like THIS
corporate bureaucrats run death panels like THAT

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Come get your FREEDOM CARE at the AMERICAN HEALTH CENTER, patriot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
You could microwave a pound of ground beef for $5 and your dog would be just as happy.