Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also suing costs money for a lawyer, etc so it comes down to cost/benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I was LEGO obsessed in the 90s and early 00s, so I have a ton of great sets plus my brothers’ sets from the 80s. I re-assembled a bunch and then took Em apart, bagged them, and now have years of birthdays and Xmas covered!

Except for my 2 faves! I’m keeping those!

Oh, part of what got me out of LEGOs was that most everything became a licensed property and that sucked! I don’t give a poo poo about some dumb vehicle from Star Wars, give me a random themed space set!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

use protonmail like a true hackerman

Or e-mail management letting them know about the database w/ an accidental "ALL COMPANY" on the CC line. Let the people find out if they choose to!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The number of FB comments I saw that appeared to be real people and not trolls that commented how the aggrieved was a whiny baby honestly upset me. Like... it’s hundreds of pounds of hosed up pennies. That’s awful! And it happened in part because the owner didn’t want to pay the guy’s last check, so the guy had to bring the courts into it.

I hope the owner’s stupid rear end gets fined waaaaaaay more.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I think it comes down to knowledge and how our society doesn’t really educate folks on these big tools we use. Most people have zero idea of a computer’s functionality, but I do have that knowledge. And when I learn more about computers, I can usually get the concepts quickly.

However, anything with carpentry or cars, I lose it. I’m anxious as all hell because I want to make the right decision and not break anything too bad. Right now, my 20yo car is at the dealership to swap out a murderous recalled airbag. And I’m hesitant that this was the right move because I don’t want them breaking my very old but reliable, paid off car.

I think there really should be a full or multi year home Ec/FACS/life skills class in high school. Learn basics of nutrition and cooking, how bikes and cars work, how a computer works, how banks and taxes work, etc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Soon as I saw a car post I knew it would be several pages of car discussion. loving cars.

I mean it's not like cars and gas and oil have influenced the last century of geo-politics or anything in a major way.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I love the consistency of it - you can mention cars in about any thread and it'll happen because cars are monstrously poo poo in every conceivable dimension

:hmmyes:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sanguinary Novel posted:

The real leftists go to Cub foods :smug:

(you're right though, loving Targets every five foot)

The Midway Cub Foods has a sign by the registers w CUB as an acronym for Consumers United in Buying or something similar. Just loving weird.

At least they’re unionized though!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Abongination posted:

Chad Richison

https://twitter.com/RepMaloney/status/1386124259072913408?s=20

https://twitter.com/RepKatiePorter/status/1386103538766450688?s=20

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

happyhippy posted:

https://www.wowhead.com/news/activision-blizzard-ceo-bobby-kotick-cuts-salary-and-bonus-by-50-322086

Good news everyone!
After getting 200 million bonus on top of my 30 million normal yearly pay this year, I have decided to forgo 800k next year.

lol i remember nerds defending activision's dogshit severance when they laid off a bunch of people

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

kaschei posted:

They can close it when they make all the other schools as good or better. Whatever is stopping them from doing that should be the target of your ire, not the one school that's as good as a school should be

Orrrrr the 60 families could direct their energy and efforts towards that single larger school for the benefit of way more children?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

After taxes, that’s like… $3/day bonus. What a poke in the eye.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

palindrome posted:

Also keep in mind that labor costs are only a small percentage of the final selling price. There are actual research documents out there but for food service you're loving up if your labor costs are near %40 or %50 of the final sale price. Food costs, lease, operational costs and other expense are typically way more likely to drive final cost. Franchises do a much better job of keeping the labor costs low compared to the egg mcmuffin sale price.

The argument of "oh if we raised wages from $10/hr to $15/hr means we'd raise prices 50%" is fake news, think about the total cost of the product including materials, rents and externalities. And most importantly if you can't afford to pay for what your customers are able to afford, then you are a business failure. welp.

The part they don’t like saying out loud is that it’s one of the only controllable metrics they have. They don’t get to set the price of a tomato or what the monthly rent is. But they can keep their employees from working too many hours, or keeping their pay low while extracting way more productivity, etc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://youtu.be/25sSLBvk_M8

It’s insane how much Mr. Show nailed it w this.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Alobar posted:

i couldn't get a screenshot, but i was just tuning my guitar and there was an ad on the app that said "buy bitcoin with a credit card instantly!" or something, and it made me laugh :3:

There was a Bitcoin billboard in my area a couple months back.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

or you know, you've had really bad experiences with alcohol, or have had friends or family members with alcohol abuse issues

I think it was more of a joke, and also not sober from alcohol but stone cold sober. Just an acknowledgment on the colonel’s part that this is a tough world to live in and that much harder w/o SOMEthing to take the edge off.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, the never ending cycle of building a reputation, establishing a customer base, then immediately dismantling it pennies at a time is so frustrating.

Re: clothing: washing in cold water and hanging to dry 100% everything seems to be the key to having clothes last for a long time. I have friends who wash hot/ use the dryer and their poo poo doesn't seem to last very long.

Been getting into this dude whose brand is “The Laundry Evangelist” and he speaks to using warm for everything, because it actually activates the soap and it only lasts a couple of minutes. Also, If you look into the temperature ranges between cold and warm, it’s relatively minimal. 4 different loads: whites, blacks, cools (gray, green blue purple), warms (orange, brown, reds). Activewear is its own load cause of the textiles in play.

He also talks about how most modern detergent is over engineered and over concentrated. He’s been doing laundry camps/clinics at the Mall of America for years and apparently has a good reputation. I’ve been happy with his methods and yeah, an emphasis on air drying which has its own benefits.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/07/26/frito-lay-strike-topeka/

This is so infuriating. ONE GUARANTEED DAY OFF!? It’s called the loving weekend and people died for it a hundred years ago.

I wish they had received the support to strike at length and really gently caress up Frito-Lay.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

*Brace noise*

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

BonHair posted:

Tents seem like a great way to get blown away though?

Only if the wind got in tents.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Gorson posted:

When did 2 tops start getting charged auto grat?

Assuming it actually goes to the server, I would guess it's to avoid the assholes who "show off" by getting a big meal but skimping on the tip.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

cf Florida and Rick scott I believe

e: oh nvm

lol, although to be fair I don't think anyone mentioned that Rick Scott's wife was part of the company that did the drug testing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Didn't the US police strap a gun onto a drone a year or two ago to shoot at someone?

They blew up teh Houston cop shooter by putting a bomb on a bomb robot and blowing him up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

What kind of sucker has their wifi connected on their TV anyway? My module started to fail and I said good riddance! I don’t use the features aside from SW updates but even then, that typically doesn’t affect functionality.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I NEED TO BE HERE (TO PAY MY BILLS)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

This excerpt is from his: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/rebellion-mcdonalds-bradford-pa/

And it has me a little off-kilter. So proud of those people for sticking up for themselves, and gently caress everyone else.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Ow! drat burger took a bite out of me!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

$8 a month if you want to keep your remote-start feature after the first three years from Toyota. loving eight loving dollars a month.

I am so loving happy I don't need to own a car.

loving good. Remote start is so loving dumb. Hey rear end in a top hat, if you bundle up the way that you should in an environment that “requires” remote start, then it won’t be so critical. I have a 2001 Maxima, it’s pumping heat pretty decently by the end of the block when I turn out of my alley. But hey, maybe it’s because I don’t have a loving cargo’s van worth of empty space to heat.

Sorry, I just HATE remote starts. Burn gas while idle because “my fingies might get cold.”

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Buddy, I need the windshield to be defrosted so I can see out of it while I'm driving.

Same here, but I've never been in a position where turning the car on, then scraping off the external ice over a couple of minutes, and then driving a little bit didn't have me up and running short of the days where it's like... insanely cold out and you're lucky that the car starts at all. The idea of remote starting when it's above 0 is just foreign to me. Good jacket and boots are a better investment.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

tak posted:

I prefer to not have to go outside to start it when it's -40 thanks. Frostbite with -60 windchill (not uncommon) can be about 1 minute or so, it's no joke

You idle it to warm the engine and fluids, not to warm the cabin. It needs to run for at least 5-10min before you can go past idle when it's that cold, even with a block heater

Great, any place that doesn't have that insanely cold climate isn't using remote start for the purpose of "getting it going." They are absolutely doing it so it's not chilly when they get in.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Beartaco posted:

Man, I've seen a lot of people on these forums talking about their alcohol dependencies this holiday season. Maybe we should set up a support thread here or in GBS to provide them more help than "smoke weed" (despite that being pretty solid advice from my experience).

There's an alcoholism thread in E/N for anyone who wants to talk about more longer term stuff, just an FYI.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Contact your state’s Department of Labor or whatever equivalent about the pay issue as well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have seen no evidence that the poster of that is in a position to know what WalMart is testing in-house. My suspicion is that somebody in the VR community made that as an "if this goes on" thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's dystopia, but I'd really like to see a citation.

IDK. Some of the content looks pretty specific to not just be a "fan" mock-up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

in my experience, the payout date shows under the Payments section of My eBay.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

It's honestly kinda amazing because I can sort of see where this stupid-rear end logic comes from. If your brain is totally convinced you're the only valid person in the world and is totally incapable of thinking in any other way than the first-person subjective case, it makes complete sense. Obviously a single EV stopping at one point is more efficient than a train stopping at 20 different points on the way if you are the only person in the universe. Sure, the EV would also have to stop 20 different times to reach those different points if you were trying to replace the train with the EV, but you personally don't want to go there, so those points might as well not exist.

Would love to ask them how they expect a wheelchair user to utilize this method of transit.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

For anyone who doesn't click through, they're citing nurses and teachers as people who could be allowed to live in a tent city.

"Educate and keep our city healthy! You can live in a tent!"

And their housing stock is hosed because of VRBO/short term bullshit.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I really do hate the techno-fetishism that exists these days. I used to be obsessed with the latest feature, or the new CPU that's 0.5% faster than last quarter's version or whatever.

Over time, I chilled out and in the last few years, I've really felt like there's an inability for society/culture at large to say "OK... so?" when it comes to tech. I'm much more skeptical when technology is introduced to a system that previously didn't include it. You look at examples like Facebook loving up their entire campus because it was all electronic and there were no physical locks.

Why are people so eager to introduce more tech into their lives?! I really feel like Ted K. when I push back on any of this stuff, because everyone else is so deep in their support for this or that + COMPUTER.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Unless posted:

The Parallax View, too, re: stochastic political violence, conspiracy paranoia, and the cognitive dissonance of imperial capitalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhztDt7-QT8

Even The Running Man is prescient at this point.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Palladium posted:

uh who can even afford a used car now lol

A millionaire, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How about an app with a really cutesy bowl of rice cartoon macot that tells you to eat a diet that's nothing but thoroughly washed unenriched white rice

We’ll name it Ricn