Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Solar Tornado posted:

Can someone help me articulate why this is a stupid thing to say? My friend said the same thing about the risk compensation, which is something I admit is logical in a way, but it just rubs me the wrong way, and I want to show how.

Like, it's just something that doesn't work in modern times? There is an exploitation of the workers? It doesn't factor human sympathy?

Help me, goons!

In this case it is a complete non-sequitur cuz management doesn't risk their capital for profit. Founders and investors do.

But even for those that risk their capital they are compensated in return with equity stakes. Getting a salary on top of it is about any sort of value their skills add to the organization. So any compensation should be based on an analysis of the value added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

caedwalla posted:

You probably aren't totally hosed unless your account was overdrawn more than $600-ish. Banks/credit unions know someone with a charged-off checking account is more of a risk, but they also recognize there's money to made servicing that market. A ton of midsize and larger financial institutions offer special checking accounts for people with hosed up account histories, usually with a set monthly fee, more limited overdraft offerings (which are bad regardless), and maybe higher fees for things like cashier's checks. If you absolutely can't get a checking account, consider opening a savings account with an ATM card - since you can't easily overdraft a savings account, some banks/CUs may not care about or even look at your checking account history.

Also, credit unions are really cool in theory but there's absolutely no guarantee one will be 'better' than a bank. The size of the institution plays a role- a huge credit union with 2 million members probably got there by focusing on explosive growth instead of member service. A bank that only has 2 branches and 30,000 customers is more likely to try and balance both. Alternatively just say gently caress it and open an account at an online-only bank since loads are popping up as Silicon Valley tries to disrupt finance or whatever.

In my experience if any bank reports you to Checksys for anything you're blacklisted until it clears up. No new accounts, no check cashing (at check cashing places), no nothing unless you already have an account in good standing. US Bank had me on there for some $30 fee from a decade ago that I didn't even know about and it had prevented me from opening a new checking account and from cashing some checks (long story on why I wanted to use a 3rd party). I only found out about it once some fraud took place on my US Bank account that required me to close my old account and open a new one. They couldn't even proceed forward on that until I paid up. I'm sure there are exceptions to this but overall it can be pretty brutal.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Do non-poo poo credit cards exist in the US?

I'm in the UK and my credit card has no fees for anything, just interest, which i barely incur anyway because i just pay it off instantly with a transfer from my bank account. I think my credit card has cost me a grand total of £5 in the 4 years I've had it.

When i say no fees, there are still penalty fees, but i can withdraw cash for free (home and abroad), there's no inactivity fee, etc etc

US credit cards sound like signing up to indentured servitude or something

There are tons of "good" credit cards available in the US. You mention "withdrawing cash for free" though, so do you actually mean debit cards? I can't imagine even in Europe that doing a cash advance is free in any sense. In the US you accrue interest on it immediately and have to pay a cash advance fee. If you just mean there is no cash advance fee but still interest, there are cards in the US with that, but they're rare.

The big "gotcha" with US credit cards are their interest rates. It is very common in the US for households to rely on credit cards to live beyond their means (either because of bad money management or disasters beyond their control), and some of this is due to wage stagnation but that is a different topic.

sebzilla posted:

I don't really understand why you'd use a credit card instead of a debit card ever

I use a credit card instead of my debit card for a few reasons.
1) Cash in my checking account accrues interest (only 2% APY so nothing crazy) and credit cards allow you to do a Net-30 or Net-45 payment system. So that gives me 30-45 extra days of earning interest before I have to pay.
1a) This also potentially allows me to save cash for an extreme emergency if necessary. This would have to be one that required cash above and beyond my emergency fund and other investment funds that I can tap into. So this is very unlikely, but nevertheless the risk is hedged
2) With my credit card I earn cash back. So not only do I earn interest from my credit union as explained in 1, but I earn cash back simply for purchasing goods and services. I stick to a budget and only spend on what I would have anyway, so it is effectively a built in discount. One can argue that prices are increased to account for this (since rewards cards incur more merchant fees), but those price increases are felt by all consumers, so at worst I am breaking even from it.
3) Credit cards have substantially better fraud protection. This is mandated by law but in addition, if fraud does occur it never touches my cash. Whereas if I were to use my debit card I would have to hope to be given a provisional balance, which isn't mandated by law for debit cards.
4) It builds my credit both by creating an account that is able to build up satisfactory payment history (age of oldest account is a pretty big factor for credit score) but it also gives me access to credit (yet another factor for credit score), and it is part of having a diverse set of loans (another factor of credit score is seeing a mix of different credit types). Credit score probably shouldn't be as big of a deal as it is but it is integral to renting apartments/houses and is a huge component if one takes out a mortgage to determine the rate you will pay on that credit.

Keep in mind that for regular purchases if you pay your balance off in full, you pay no interest.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Debit cards here have absolutely ridiculous fees if you want to use them frequently. There's no way I'm paying more than single-digit fees to keep an account at the bank. The account I have now is either really cheap or free, but comes with the caveat of 3 free debits a month and then there's a not insubstantial fee for using your own loving debit card. If I use my Visa for everything and pay off the balance every payday I don't incur any fees and Visa has that rewards program so I think I take only a small loss or break even on the 2 cent credit card surcharge per purchase.

That's pretty rare. Most banks absolutely want you to use your debit card (in the US usually a visa debit) because they get a cut of the fees.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I mean I'd have to double check my numbers (am mobile) but what do people like this say when you tell them something like 95% of all outstanding shares on the NYSE are owned by the top 20% of US households?

Wasn't the whole point of trump's popularity that that most of America is getting left behind while the Dems crow about the awesome market performance and other economic signals that are more or less meaningless to the average person???

gently caress why are people so dumb

Yeah it is really weird. I know trumpists who on election day were saying how the stock market is a meaningless indicator for the health of the economy (true) and how unemployment is artificially made lower by not including people who find it too hopeless to search for jobs (also true) then the day after they start proclaiming that trump has given us the greatest economy ever as evidenced by the stock market and unemployment rates.

Ofc these same people also claim the great recession and the stock market crash preceding it were caused simply by Obama being ahead in the polls so they're legit morons. It would just be nice for some consistency.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

g0lbez posted:

I'll never understand how people can work two jobs? One full time job just devours all your free time, with a second job I guess you don't sleep? I'd rather die

There are 8766 hours in the year, if you get a decent amount of sleep of 6 hours per day that takes up about 2192 hours per years, leaving 6574 to work. A full time job is 2080 hours per year (no vacations or sick days ya prole!) so that means with the remaining time you can work 3 FTE jobs!

I'll go ahead and :thermidor: myself now

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

This reminds me of how my bank (US Bank) won a "most ethical company" award. I feel like if banks are winning that then the award is completely meaningless

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Like basically you're taking young minds that are supposed to be learning, developing their brains, and developing critical thinking skills, and just brainwashing the gently caress out of them. It's probably not just charter schools, it is probably socioeconomically disadvantaged public schools, too.

To be fair they were doing this long before having corporate branding right in the classroom. But ya, it is a scathing indictment on our society imo

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

succ posted:

oof, delisted and disabled comments and likes

for anyone that didn't know:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1032019183935078400?lang=en

Lmbo talk about out of touch... and the fact they released it so recently too... good god

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

The silver lining to rising sea levels is that it'll swallow up japan pretty quick

Not really, Japan is actually pretty mountainous and its major cities are quite above sea level. Tokyo for instance is on average 40m asl (compared to NYCs average of 10 or lower Manhattan's of 5 or Miami's 1.9m lmbo). Some parts of their coastal cities could get hit but overall Japan will be fine. Keep in mind that by 2100 the most extreme predictions are suggesting 2 meter rise.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Len posted:

Why are we as a people convinced we should keep fast food wages low because other skilled jobs don't make more than $15/hr? Maybe instead of keep everything down because gently caress you we band together and try to get the stagnated wages across the board raised?

Also this guy is a clearly a mentally sound individual

I like how dude is bitching (granted indirectly) that his pay isn't enough and rather than take his advice and find something better he wants to bitch about what others make. :thunk:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Lmfao started by a kid working for their dad

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

it can be tough when you're getting guillotined

This is amusing because basically the opposite is true. If you don't need to earn a living then you can dedicate towards the career of your choice a lot easier. Most people in some way end up settling a bit because of the necessity of having a paycheck; if they didn't have that burden and could just focus on their career of choice they'd be golden.

And of course there is also the aspect that who the gently caress cares? If you don't need to earn a living then maybe don't take the spot of someone who does??

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

This caused me to look up 7-up and discover that apparently Dr Pepper is now owned by Keurig, wtf

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

I think this is a bit too much and I would give my teen a smartphone, but yeah. I've seen 6 year olds completely addicted to tablets, to the point where they're playing with them at restaurants etc

This is a problem of parenting and not technology. Anything can be deleterious if taken to extremes and with kids the parents are supposed to be there creating structure so the kids develop properly. If a kid is playing on their tablet in the restaurant the blames falls squarely on the parents for allowing it in the first place. And no doubt you can find a whole history of those parents letting their kids do such things as a way to not have to deal with parenting the kid.

This sort of thing absolutely does happen with TV too. Watch a young kid watch TV and they can absolutely get glued to it to a point that becomes a little scary. It is up to the parent to create structure and reasonable standards so that activities can be enjoyed without going to extremes. It's also a bit like candy or other stuff too. If you saw a kid eating a bowl of candy for dinner would you think "Wow those candy companies need to be stopped, kids should never be exposed to candy because it can be taken to an extreme!" or would you think "Wow what a loving lovely parent"?

In fact, being able to have kids enjoy stuff that can be highly gratifying/addicting, and allowing them to deal with the negative feelings of not having that instant gratification is a key part to kids becoming well adjusted. That some parents choose to let a tablet raise their kids isn't an indictment of tablets, but of lovely parents.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Haha those lakes are hosed the second California agriculture starts shutting down. I'm surprised they haven't started digging the canal already.

I would try to toughen those kids up a bit if I lived anywhere near them.

It's certainly possible, but in order to do so they'll have to get around the Great Lakes Compact; and well, not too many people in the Great Lakes states want to allow California to drain them.

California probably will be ok though overall because they have very generous water rights. They also have a giant ocean next to them and conceivably they can go all out on desalination projects to get plenty of fresh water. It is basically every other state in the southwest that will be hosed.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

anonumos posted:

gently caress FORBES

I wonder if Forbes will ever realize how terrible their contributor system is.... probably not since it seems to align quite well with their editorial board's beliefs but still.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

Wells Fargo going with a bold defense.

Wells Fargo: Shareholders can't sue us because they should have known we were lying

https://www.mpamag.com/news/wells-fargo-shareholders-cant-sue-us-because-they-should-have-known-we-were-lying-116073.aspx

Wouldn't the logical conclusion of

rear end in a top hat Lawyer posted:

Wells Fargo, however, maintains that Sloan’s statements were “puffery.” According to the bank’s legal filing, Sloan’s comments were generic statements “on which no reasonable investor could rely.”

Be that nothing the CEO says should be taken seriously by a reasonable investor? And wouldn't that itself be a huge breach of the CEO's fiduciary duty to shareholders?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Doesn't that leggings MLM scam work as physical lootboxes? (They send you a random assortment of crap and you maybe sell the good stuff and end up keeping the trash.)

Yeah, and just like other lootboxes 99.99% of it is trash

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Surely by volunteer they mean having people work when they're not normally scheduled but they still get paid... right? Cuz if not lmfao

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

hackbunny posted:

In school we were forbidden to play football for some god damned reason. Volleyball, basketball, handball were OK, but not football, which we all knew how to play and played all the time in our spare time. I wonder what stupid educational theory of anti-fun there was behind it

Given the realities of CTE contact sports at the primary and secondary level should be banned. Can't stop kids from doing poo poo in their off time but we probably shouldn't promote and encourage brain damaging activities.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

CATO are such loving morons. Even if you were libertarian how could an employer's contract rights possibly trump someone else's right to do what they want with their own property (ie themselves, their own bodies; and yes this is what libertarians actually consider to be the basis of all rights) during time that isn't being sold to said employer thus not subject to said contract???

Like they're just such shills for Koch bros and corporatism and I don't get how even libertarians can't tell.

Presumably it would be part of the contract (a morality clause or similar) and by gosh if you don't want to agree to that no one is forcing you to! Really a lot of their thinking just ignores a lot of the abuse that exists in the employer/employee relationship, or assuming it is solvable with less regulated markets.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

the way my tips work is I make $12/hr and keep all my tips but the irs deducts my paycheck of almost all the tips. so effectively I only keep the cash ones my boss doesn't report. Epic

There's 1 of 3 reasons for this. 1) your employers payroll team sucks and over withholds tips for some reason 2) your withholdings are set up wrong 3) both.

The most likely is #1 and ur payroll team is extrapolating very incorrectly how much additional income your tips will add throughout the year. Tips are normal income so they should be taxed at the marginal rate (including payroll tax of 7.65%). The plus side is you will get it back as a tax refund, the downside is that was an interest free loan to uncle Sam and he doesn't need interest free loans.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

considering tips are close to 50% of my income I'm not sure its wrong

Given there's no level of income where your marginal rate would be 100%, nevermind working as a service employee, I am going to guess it's very wrong. Like if your base pay were $12/hr and you get $12/hr in tips and work 2080 hours a year and you lived in California (has the highest income taxes in the country) then the total taxes you would owe on your $49,920 income would be $9,802.84 which includes payroll, fed, and state without factoring in anything beyond the standard deduction. $12/hr for an entire year is $24,960 or 2.55x what you would owe in taxes. Keep in mind that you would owe significantly less assuming you were making less. But even with the situation I mentioned above; your top marginal rate including payroll, state, and fed would be 27.65%, so for every dollar in tip you made, you would owe $0.2765.

If tips made up roughly a quarter/to a third of your income then I could see the perception that the tips you make pay for your taxes owed, but that isn't really the government just taking your tips or your employer doing so, you're just paying the taxes you actually owe on the income you brought in (in fact a bit of tax fraud since you choose not to report cash tips when you are supposed to), which is the boat that everyone is in really (except the ultra rich).

anonumos posted:

I don't think that HR is sending confiscated tips to the government...

The over withholding thing is quite common in many industries and with payroll departments that just use basic software that doesn't properly factor things in. If the employer is confiscating the tips outright, then that's even more reason to raise hell about it and actually figure out what should be owed. If they're reporting that they earned $x in tips, they absolutely should be seeing that money as gross income and then paying taxes on it accordingly.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

anonumos posted:

That's not really how tipped minimum wages work. Their employers are obligated to only pay up to the standard minimum wage. They can get away with paying the tipped minimum wage (often as low as $2.50) if you make up the difference in gratuity. Earn $10 in tips one hour? Instead of minimum wage + $10, you get the tipped minimum wage + whatever is left over out of that $10 bill.

It's theft, plain and simple, and more often than not the store manager keeps a much as possible, too.

They still have to set a base pay and they can't just take tips. So let's say the min wage for tipped employees is $5/hr and for non tipped it is $8. If the employer is in a tipped industry then they can offer a base pay of $5/hr and if the employee with tips makes at least $8/hr then no extra pay is needed. If it comes out to under $8/hr then the employer needs to make up the difference.

The employer can't say oh look you made $10/hr with tips on a base pay of $5/hr so we will just peel back the $2/hr from you; that's wage theft.

Also if they decide to pay $8/hr they can't just not pay out the tips unless they have an explicit no tip policy advertised. And even that depends on the state and if the industry is one where it tips are expected.

The thing I was responding to (and it may be a misreading on my part) is the idea that tips are taxed 100%. Even if tips somehow made up 100% of your income the marginal rate calculation I went over would apply. And that is based on actual income so even in the scenario you brought up the tips are taxed at their marginal rate, not 100%. The employer stealing wages isn't exactly uncle Sam's fault (other than being a lazy capitalist pig who doesn't regulate said businesses to prevent wage theft in the first place ofc).

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Hmm I thought they all paid higher than that as a minimum? Like 15? guess not.

Their minimum wage is $14/hr, but for hourly floor employees it can get up to $50+/hr for highly tenured people.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Wait someone who works on the floor at a costco can make $50/hr??

I'm not 100% positive on that; just that tenured hourly employees can reach that high. I'm basing this info off of this BI article. But even then, they say it is for people who have been there decades, but still, if floor workers can make up to that, that puts every single other establishment to shame.

EvilJoven posted:

Don't get too excited of the two founders.of Costco only one is still alive and he's in his 80s. You'd better believe that when he passed away the people left in control of that company will surely turn on its employees and customers in order to make an extra buck.

Of course, this is the big thing... shareholders have been after blood for years trying to get costco to cut wages and benefits. The only reason they haven't is because the current CEO and founder won't have any of it. Once the reigns get passed, expect some serious slashing.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/mattyhoyeCNN/status/1088467960543539204

"Go into debt to work the job you're not getting paid for" -Economic advice from billionaire Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross

His suggestion is to literally take out payday loans to cover the gap. And he says the pay is guaranteed but it might not actually be. What a fuckstick.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

It really needs to be emphasized again that he isn't just saying "oh take out a loan to get through", but he's suggesting to take out payday loans using paychecks they might not see for months as collateral. Depending on the terms of the specific loan they might be go into a different payment plan that will make it impossible to pay off. It isn't a solution at all and for people who have to decide between a loan or no paycheck it just means they kick the can down the road and once (if) they start getting paid again they'll be hosed.

Like look at this poo poo:

quote:

“The banks and credit unions should be making credit available to them,” Ross said on CNBC. “When you think about it, these are basically government-guaranteed loans because the government has committed these folks will get back pay once this whole thing gets settled down. So there really is not a good excuse why there should be a liquidity crisis."

Even if we assume they were going to start getting paid again tomorrow, the very idea they are "government guaranteed" is horseshit unless the paychecks are put up as collateral. gently caress this guy.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

mycomancy posted:

That guy needs to be stoned.

I'm no genius but isn't 3 days right up on that 72 hour threshold? I guess she probably had a bunch of water with her??? Or???

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Norton posted:

My work offers 25 cent Gatorades to the warehouse employees in the summer. They have the same policy because as soon as the machine got filled, an employee would just buy every single Gatorade to resell after work.

I assume he is the director of operations for that warehouse now?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

https://jezebel.com/elizabeth-holmes-has-a-husky-named-balto-and-tells-ever-1832787071

in an extremely on-brand moment, Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos fame bought a husky, got its blood tested and claimed it was actually a wolf, then brought it to work and let it piss and poo poo all over the office

I'm all of the comments sharing their Husky stories and ignoring the article :3:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Assuming you're in the USA that sounds like an ADA violation to me.

e: re the escalator

There's probably an elevator but it is too slow to be useful such that even low mobility people opt for the stairs.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-employees-call-bullshit-on-online-sales-claims-am-1833201246

the real meat of the article is when they talk to cultist employees of the soon-to-be-closed-stores who are like “automation is true to ELON’S vision so it’s okay if I’m out of a job, I’m glad I’m obsolete”

the dude ends by asking the reporter to go easy on Tesla.

we’re doomed lol

edit: they had the retail employees get people to buy the cars online in store so they could point to having a big majority of online sales. it’s like some insect species that decapitates itself or whatever for the queen

Like that episode of the office where they introduce the new site and it isn't doing well enough so they have everyone put their orders through it even though that would mean lost commissions.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I'm "exercise" and "working alone."

who wants to bet that there are hours that are counted in multiple categories, and the CEO ends up working like 15 hours/week?

For me what really puts it over the top is that "personal appointments" is included and is within the "miscellaneous" wedge which happens to be the largest one making up almost 40% of their week. Everything else can have a veil of bullshit on it to make it seem part of a work week--even exercise--but there is really no justifying something you have classified as personal lmfao

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I like how the article completely ignores the $20k cost and fact their insurance wouldn't cover it. How on earth would a wheelchair cost $20k? Looking online and even ones that use your eye movements to steer are way cheaper than that. But hey a robotics team was able to hook up a joystick to a powerwheels motor...so everything is ok.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

actionjackson posted:

There's no generic for insulin I take it? How hard is it to make synthetically?

I'd also be curious as to when the IP on Humalog runs out. It would seem that more than one company would be able to make this...?

It's super easy and cheap to make but the market was cornered allowing for prices to be jacked up. There are few than 1.5 million type 1 diabetics and entering the market to introduce competition would mean tanking the price and making it a shaky investment for the newcomer. There are a ton of drugs out there like this and once a manufacturer is able to corner the market they jack the costs up like crazy.

The humalog patent expired in 2015 and the prices have continued to skyrocket.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

insurance companies were willing to concede in the rightwing affordable care act that children could remain on their parents' insurance until the age of 27, so I guess this is them wanting to renege on the minor concessions

This is more for auto insurance. And if you're sharing cars or live in the same household you can be on the same plan. Insurance companies rather have the kids spun off asap because they will be more expensive individually than as part of a group plan.

One big reason the parents should probably spin them off to their own plans even if they still pay for it is because anyone named on a policy can be party to a lawsuit. And damages from car accidents often exceed policy limits which would put the parents assets at risk.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

The effective date being april fool's day is the cherry on top :discourse:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

remote control carnivore posted:

two of my (now-former) coworkers had gotten married and conceived. Sadly, they lost the baby. our manager was trying to deny her request for bereavement because the very much wanted fetus wasn’t an immediate family member. His words.

He’s such a slime.

I can't wait to hear the absolutely mission critical tasks they performed that necessitated being a hard rear end about such a devastating thing. The only person in the world who could operate the machine that prevents the world from being destroyed? Or?

Even if I wanted to try and drive someone out I can't imagine being a hardass on something like that. That's some seriously bad karma to bring on yourself (guillotine version perhaps?)

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Why would you hire a management consultant for a website redesign tho? Am I missing something there...and it is basically what I would expect from one. Completely half assed and every step of the way was asking for more money to do what was asked of them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

It's cheaper for me to buy a prepaid debit card with my credit card than it is to take a cash advance for the same amount off the credit card. Why? gently caress me that's why.

e: sitting here contemplating a $100 cash advance meanwhile at work today so far I have helped close loans such that the lender got about $250k in fees (not counting the actual interest rate on the loans at all). Just today.

Jose asks me why I'm so angry lol

Assuming your card allows it the reason why is because they get the fees for processing the purchase and they aren't hit immediately for losing the cash. A cash advance means that the credit card won't get any fees from the processing and they take an immediate hit to a loss of liquid assets; which is why they charge so much for it (and also why they generally severely limit the total amount you can cash advance).