Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Yeah, the top 8 was sick. Joseph really earned the victory, he looked sharp at levels 19+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Classic Tetris is such a different beast than Modern Tetris and it's cool to watch.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Puyo Puyo eSports comes out tomorrow on PlayStation and Switch Japan, Korea and China eshops. Who wants to battle Puyo without being oppressed by 4-wide tetriminos?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Me once I figure out jp eshop stuff... Online for out of region games hasn't changed at all with paid online right

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

P-Mack posted:

Me once I figure out jp eshop stuff... Online for out of region games hasn't changed at all with paid online right

Set up an account with Japan as the region. Purchase a 2,000 yen card code from play Asia or offgamers and load it.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 23, 2018

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

P-Mack posted:

No change. You just need a Japanese user account to access the Jp eshop. Once the game is on your device it can be accessed with any user account on the device.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
im going to buy it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Got my JP account set up. Hype!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Got my JP account set up. Hype!

I would love to see what Puyo Puyo eSports looks like please share some clips when you start playing

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Oops, I got my points card from eBay. I think I probably overpaid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I would love to see what Puyo Puyo eSports looks like please share some clips when you start playing
Same thing as normal Puyo Puyo but the characters shout meaner stuff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
iirc it's pretty much the same thing that's in PPT, with a few new modes or whatever.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they just announced early adopter price was going to be $5. epic

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FANiVX0sbDU

Live exhibition going on now with Japanese pros

Top english speaking player Yoshi100_Aus restream with english commentary
https://www.twitch.tv/yoshi100_aus

gohmak fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 24, 2018

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

plz dont pull out posted:

If you find solo mode is moving a little too fast for you to get things down I've found this trainer helpful:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=4109

It's a basic puyo setup but the pieces don't drop automatically, giving you time to see how things fit together.

thanks for this. the blind puyo mode is great training.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
500 yen card code

https://www.offgamers.com/buynow/500yen-nintendo-eshop-prepaid-card-jp.html

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

they just announced early adopter price was going to be $5. epic

This game is only 5 bucks??? drat I'm probably gonna buy it

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
For those who don't know how to get Japanese games on the Switch:

1) Set up a new user account with Japan as the region (use a seperate email account)
2) purchase a 500 Yen eshop card. 15 digit code will be emailed to you after purchase. I use https://www.offgamers.com/buynow/500yen-nintendo-eshop-prepaid-card-jp.html or playasia
3) Open Nintendo eShop using the japanese acount.
4) Enter the 15 digit code. (either google the menu translations or just remember the steps from the english eshop)
5) purchase the game at 11:01am eastern today.
6) Once the game is on your Switch you can play it with any account.

Simular steps for the Korean and Chinese localizations.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 24, 2018

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

gohmak posted:

For those who don't know how to get Japanese games on the Switch:

1) Set up a new user account with Japan as the region (use a seperate email account)
2) purchase a 500 Yen eshop card. I use https://www.offgamers.com/buynow/500yen-nintendo-eshop-prepaid-card-jp.html (when they get back from the store with restock)
3) Open Nintendo eShop using the japanese acount.
4) Enter the 15 digit code. (either google the menu translations or just remember the steps from the english eshop)
5) purchase the game at 11:01am eastern today.
6) Once the game is on your Switch you can play it with any account.

Simular steps for the Korean and Chinese localizations.

hell yes. this is sick.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

No ocean prince no buy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Will I need more than 500 yen with sales tax.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the 500 yen includes sales tax so you're good to go

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

the 500 yen includes sales tax so you're good to go

Thank you Sega.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Really, if you don't buy this game you're basically losing money.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://streamable.com/95t69

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Where's the win counter in Free Play, Sega?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

failed rage quit attempt.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I bought a 2,000 Yen card last week before this 500 Yen announcement. Now my Japanese Nintendo eShop is sitting on 1,500 Yen with nothing to do with it. I guess I'll give away 3 Puyo Puyo eSports.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
You can gift people games on the switch eshop?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Caithness posted:

Where's the win counter in Free Play, Sega?

you can turn on set wins in game settings

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Caithness posted:

You can gift people games on the switch eshop?

just found out you cannot. maybe I login on their switch?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Kinda wish there were separate elo ratings for fever and tsuu. You can use another switch account to accomplish the same thing, but that means taking up a spot on your family plan.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

Kinda wish there were separate elo ratings for fever and tsuu. You can use another switch account to accomplish the same thing, but that means taking up a spot on your family plan.

Yeah. I sorta get why ppt didn't separate since you were cross playing modes and there was swap too.

I guess I could just learn fever?!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
fever is pretty dope as a chill mode and I'm glad you can finally play it on an HD console

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got Puyo Puyo eSports.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I got Puyo Puyo eSports.

Welcome to the Elite

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I can 13 chain fairly consistantly on endless but when it comes to Tsu battles these guys are too quick and aggressive. I am trying to have harrassment counters prepared after a my first floor and transition is complete but they just main chain me with a bigger count as soon as I respond. I need to get more speed.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I picked this up yesterday and am getting my rear end severely kicked. It’s still really good, though. I need to work on my Puyo skills

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gohmak posted:

I can 13 chain fairly consistantly on endless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Your first benchmark should be to hit 10 chains in under 30 seconds.

Practice sandwich patterns in both directions. gently caress stairs unless they are 2+2.

Learn the good build order for GTR so one layer of garbage won’t lock you out of your chain.

Build low with Y shapes on column 4-6 and tail on top with 1-1-2 of the same color.

Tsu requires strong look ahead on your build so you can spare attention to observe your opponent. This is my weakness.

If I’m hyper focused on keeping pace with my build against good players I get so tunnel visioned I can’t see their board and die from pokes and harassments.