Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I had thought that if I was going to do more FE romhacks, it would be in a new thread, but since this is highly relevant to the previous demo that's already in here...

What can I say? It's Awful Emblem again, except there's more of it this time! And the number at the bottom says 2020 instead of 2019, which is a very important update.

It's recommended to start a new save, so I will, but I won't go over the stuff we've already seen in detail - instead, I'll go through the first few chapters quickishly and point out any changes I notice. If you need a refresher on the story thus far (or weren't around for the lp of the previous demo), the playthrough of the first demo is linked at the bottom of this post. I would recommend at least looking over the story bits if you don't know what's going on!

Now, we're diving right back in.

Updates
1. Here We Go Again (prologue and chapter 1)
2. Ferris Still Owns (chapters 2-3)
3. Not The End Of The Demo This Time (chapters 4-5x)
4. New Material (chapter 6, new to the latest demo)
5. Quite Enough Dudes (chapter 7)
6. Royal Rumble (chapter 7x)
7. Just A Tiny Bit Of Regicide (chapter 8)
8. The End, Again (intermission 1, end of demo)

The Road to Ruin is a fully finished, original Fire Emblem game built on the FE7 engine. The creator's blurb is:

quote:

Pandosia, created by the four goddesses, has seen its fair share of war and peace. Now is not a time for peace. A war has begun between the neighboring countries of Aksum and Sybaris. Sybaris has ambushed Aksum's close ally, the small country of Mora, without warning, massacring many.

A group of mercenaries finds themselves caught in the middle of this war where not everything is as it seems and the events of the past collide with the present...

Unlike the last game I played that featured a group of mercenaries, this is a fairly polished one that has been in the works since 2011 and is currently released as version 3.0.3 as of late 2017. It is also a fair bit shorter than Crimson Arm, clocking in at 23 maps, including prologue and side chapters.

Updates:
01. If It Quacks Like A Merc...
02. And Then, Bandits Attacked
03. Thieverin' Or Som'thin'
04. Third Time's The Charm
05. General-y Unpleasant
06. Something Completely Different
07. A Little Too Convenient
08. Convoy
09. The Big Crunch
10. And Then, Bandits Again
11. Green Unit Detention Centre
12. Ow, The Edge
13. gently caress You Dad
14. Return of the Generics
15. Right Hook
16. Unlike Ike
17. It's Just Forblaze Again
18. The Sewer Level
19. Too Many Paladins
20. What Gameplay?
21. Meaningful Choices
22. Our Fearful Trip Is Done
23. Seethe
24. Very Nearly The Final Battle
25. Hollow Revenge

This hack doesn't have a title screen, but don't hold that against it, it used to be a whooole lot more painful to make one of those. Take it from someone who tried! This is made in FE7's engine, which even with the large advances in FE romhacking lately is still harder to hack than FE8; last time I checked, I don't think it was even possible to alter the opening text without bollocksing things up - you know, the "once, dragons and men coexisted" bit. It might actually never be possible because FE8 has been thoroughly cracked open now and most people would just say there's no point in hacking a weaker, less supported engine.

Anyway, the game of the now is called Order of the Crimson Arm. The creator's introduction is:

quote:

Fire Emblem: Order of the Crimson Arm is a hack which follows the trials and tribulations of Algimas, an up and coming mercenary leader, and a foreign tactician testing their knowledge of warfare on the battlefield. The two set out together to the continent of Fadrel for fame and fortune. Over the course of time, both will go through various events which will decide not only their future, but the fate of many others as well.

I don't really know anything about this game, except that it's a full game with an original setting and characters, made with the FE7 engine, and that they've used the tactician creation bit from FE7 to make a sort of pseudo-avatar. They've even left instructions on how to insert your own portrait - though as far as I know, you don't get to pick their class. Let's dive in!

Updates:
01. A Man's Name
02. The Binding Blade Bishop Bandit
03. The Chin Returns
04. I am still not good at Fire Emblem
05. The Title Drop Chapter
06. Wayland By Enemies
07. About Time
08. I Hope You Like Wyverns
09. This Map Is Hard
10. Lazy Wayland pun #2
11. Loud
12. Eight New Units
13. Mystery of the Druids
14. Regicide
15. Disarmed
16. No One Expects The Zentish Inquisition
17. Franckly doesn't Warren a title
18. We Need Disguises
19. wait what
20. Swamped With Work
21. Promotional Matierial
22. argh
23. A Sassin'
24. Status Hell
25. Notwell
26. And Then, Pirates Attacked
27. All The Prfs Above
28. Rude Boy
29. Sequel 2: Return of the Revenge
30. Who The Hell Banned Warp?
31. Braxit
32. Mercenary Knight

Restoration Queen is a mod for Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and... well, I'll just let it speak for itself:

quote:

Restoration Queen is a Fire Emblem 8 script edit focused on bringing Eirika and other female characters to the forefront of the story. We have reworked much of the main script and many of the support conversations in order to create a game that allows Eirika’s story to be fully realized in a way that the original game never did. We’ve also tweaked a few other small aspects of the game. In many ways, they are the sorts of changes that we hope you won’t even notice, but will simply enjoy as you play.

At its core, Restoration Queen is a way to re-experience Sacred Stones in a more actively female (and queer) positive manner.

This hack was released in 2014, but I wasn't paying much attention at the time. However, over the summer I have developed an unquenchable thirst for Sacred Stones and I want more, drat it! And since unlike FE6, there's no new translation to show off and I don't feel like I need to improve on the run already on the archive, I figured I may as well play this to change things up a bit.

Let's get on with it!

Updates:
01. I am not good at Fire Emblem
02. Baguette
03. I am not good at romhacking
04. Colm the gently caress down
05. Revenants are not good at anything
06. I told you I'm bad at Fire Emblem
07. Saary for your loss
08. Ephraim is just really good
09. Yes, I get the halberd
10. That sure was A Map
11. A Trap
12. Intermission
13. Brute Force
14. Brute Farce
15. Fire Support
15. Raining Blood
16. Serenity in Murder
17. Magical Girl
18. Magical Boy
19. Luke Skywalker
20. The Dense Motherfucker Saga
21. Unjust Deserts
22. Trash Knight
23. Dragonstone is Not Crash
24. Fire Emo-blem
25. Gor-gone
26. Cry me a Riev-er
27. The Purge
28. Restoration Queen

Bonus content: Awful Emblem demo
29. Crimes against Humanity
30. Somethin' Awful
31. Pet Cats
32. Ferris Owns
33. Roger
34. Troubl-le
35. END OF DEMO

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I have claimed this post in the name of the divine emperor, so that I may put cool and good things in it.

Camel Pimp posted:

I dunno I think weebiest dweeb Lyon would be more like this:

before you ask: yes I do regret this.

Camel Pimp posted:

Current Vanessa (Artist's rendition)

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm going to have to post it now, won't I

Camel Pimp posted:

We all know this is Carlyle's true form:

Camel Pimp posted:

No, she's Sailor Mars!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 17, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

1. I am not good at Fire Emblem

This is Restoration Queen. There aren't any changes to the title screen to make that obvious - but to be fair, it was much harder to edit this kind of thing back in 2014. There's been a great deal of really big romhacking advances lately! You may even see some of them applied at some point I don't know

We're not here to look at the title screen, though. We're doing it!

Pff, what am I, a casual?

:goonsay: actually

In its despair, mankind appealed to the heavens, and from a blinding light came hope.

These five glorious treasures held the power to dispel evil.
The hero Grado and his warriors used the Sacred Stones to combat evil's darkness. They defeated the Demon King and sealed his soul away within the stones.
With the darkness imprisoned, peace returned to Magvel.

I am very surprised to hear that! It's almost as if there wouldn't be much of a game if everything just continued on hunky-dory!

I like how it has a name. It's nice how Fire Emblem always has this detailed world building, it'd never do something silly like dump you in a nameless generic fantasy world with any history or anything. That would be crazy!

The Sacred Stones have been passed from generation to generation. Nations have been built around their power and their legacy.

At some point, they're going to learn not to keep this poo poo around. You know what would solve the problem? Launching the stones into the loving Sun. Someone wants to revive the demon king? They have to figure out how to get to the loving Sun first. They actually succeed? The demon king is now on the loving Sun and someone else's problem.

Anyway.

Despite overwhelming evidence, he's not actually evil!

I mean I know he's bald and bearded and a divine emperor, but trust me on this.

We are getting an evil emperor, though. Don't want to get too original.

(Well, evil-ish. It's complicated.)

Hence, they are the important ones.

This place? gently caress it, we don't even know what the guy in charge is called!

and memories of the ancient dark arts have all but evaporated.
It is now the year 803...
In an instant, the whole of Magvel is threatened by an unexpected atrocity.

has invaded the kingdom of Renais under orders from Emperor Vigarde.

I guess he doesn't have to be evil, I mean, we could be the bad guys here and they're saving the world from us-

Yeah, no, I'm not buying it either.

Look at those little guys stomping all over the world map like they own the place.

That is like. The least of our worries right now.

Oo, they brought promoted guys this time!

I find it slightly humorous that we then transition into a chapter named Prologue: The Fall of Renais. This was probably not intentional.

The castle gate has been breached. Emperor Vigarde's forces are within the castle walls.

I understand.

The garrison has fallen. We've lost contact with Prince Ephraim and can expect no aid from his men. Your Majesty, what are we to do?

...What else can we do? Order your men to lay down their arms.

Eirika. Are you wearing the bracelet I gave you?

Yes, I have it right here.

Good.
Seth.

Accompany Eirika to Frelia. King Hayden is an honorable man. I trust he will keep you safe.

Understood. And what of Your Majesty?

Me? I shall remain here. We have long held Grado among our dearest allies, yet now, they attack? I must know why. Am I somehow responsible for this? Have I erred in my leadership? Renais is mine to guide... How could I have failed her so?

Father, you can't stay! You mustn't! If you remain behind, then so shall I!

Go now, Seth! Ride! Flee with her to safety!

Seth: Yoink!

Forgive me, Your Highness.

And off they go.

Right before red units start pouring into the castle.

Red units are bad news!

Wellll we are on the hardest difficulty...

...Nah, this is Sacred Stones and I have Seth, it's fine.

Franz, ride ahead and bring word of our coming to Frelia. A single rider has better odds of passing unseen by Grado's soldiers.

He had better hope he passes unseen, he's still level 1 :ssh:

Convey to the throne all that has happened here and petition for reinforcements.

U-understood!

Franz rides off on his own, leaving us...

...to deal with the important bits.

Like this guy with his fabulous hair and stylin' purple armour.

It doesn't look very purple right now, but give it a moment.

Well, this must be my lucky day. You're coming with me. And your knight is a dead man.

This is one of the more obviously changed lines and one that was used to advertise the mod - Valter talking to Eirika directly instead of being like, "hey you, the paladin guy, is that the princess you're carrying under your arm?"

Never!

Regardless though, he's a jerk. gently caress him up, Seth - I mean leave some for me! I need the exp more.

There we go, now it's proper purple. Purple armour best armour.

It even comes with some really good lines!

Unfortunately for Seth, he forgot that he also has a silver lance in his inventory and didn't need to be at weapon triangle disadvantage argh

See, Seth? This is what happens when you forget the weapon triangle.

No!

Seth yoinks Eirika again and runs off after Franz.

Like so.

How entertaining.
Fly away, little man. Fly away. Try to outrun death. More time to savor the hunt... and the kill.

Don't get your hopes up, little man. Next time, I'll have someone with axes. You're proper hosed then!

So anyway Seth carries Eirika to the first actual gameplay map of the game.

If we've made it this far, we've surely earned a moment's rest.
Please forgive the rushed nature of our escape. I did not mean disrespect, acting without orders.

Don't be foolish, Seth. If it weren't for you, we would never have made it out of the castle. You have my gratitude.

How are your injuries? Please, let me take a look, I-

Your Highness, I can't allow a wound like this to be an obstacle. We have more important matters to attend to. We must press on to Frelia. We must fulfill His Majesty's wishes.

I wonder how my father fares alone in the castle. Do you think he's safe? And what of my brother on the Grado front? We've heard nothing from him for days.

King Fado and Prince Ephraim are both valiant and brave men. I doubt even the might of the Grado Empire can hold them in check. But they would not wish for you to distract yourself with worry. Your Highness, you must look to your own safety, please. We must reach Frelia to ensure the day of your happy reunion.

Yes, of course. You're right. Until I'm reunited iwth my father and brother, I must not despair.
Come, Seth. Let us go.

Shall we proceed, Princess Eirika?

Yes. We must keep looking forward.

Your Highness, let me be clear about the threats lie ahead. This will not be an easy ride. Please, take this rapier, so you may defend yourself. Even if something should happen to me, you must continue to Frelia.

:cawg: I'm sorry to break up this dramatic moment but :cawg:

Have you seen your stats, Seth?

Ah, gameplay/story segregation.

Speaking of gameplay!

About... thataway?

What, that's not good enough for you?

No, you watch her, Seth. Eirika's soloing this map. It's what it's there for.

Have no fear, Seth. My brother has taught me something of swordplay. I will stand with you.

By which she means...

It's finally time! Hell yeah! Charge!

...that may be a little too much charging.

We'll sit here for a bit.

...I knew that was going to happen.

Anyway, nice crit on your very first attack! Now if you didn't just use up all the good random numbers you'll need when you get your first level at the end of this... Well, maybe taking a sub-50% axe to the face cancels it out somewhat.

(If I were any good, I'd have parked her where only one of these guys could attack her, because now she got attacked by two of them and she'd die if they both hit. But alas, I am not good at Fire Emblem. ...it's not very likely, but still a dumb risk. Of course I'd have reset if it happened so you'd never have seen it even if something did go wrong.)

There was another fighter here. It's gone now. This is the face of a killer.

Oh, no, not at all.

I know I can take you.

After having some of this delicious vulnerary, because you do hit kind of hard if you manage to get lucky.

No, that would be your subordinates. Weren't you watching? Slaughtered them like dogs, I did!

Not the face!

Well, sitting Eirika on the forest tile drops his accuracy by a bit, but she is still Very Squishy so I have her guzzle another vulnerary. It's what they're there for.

Seth is also in range. O'Neill should go after Eirika because he doesn't have weapon advantage over Seth and does more damage to Eirika, but...

Go sit in the corner, that's a good Seth.

"How," he asks! How about "you went up against a lord with a sword and brought Bord and Cord"? Because that's basically your problem! A lancer or two and I'd have been tempted to use Seth.

No strength!

No speed!

No defence!

Eirika why

"I took two axes to the face, Seth. Two. Axes. To the face."

I'm fine... Fine. But... This is war, isn't it? It's not at all like the games I used to play with my brother or Lyon. I never thought- I didn't know it would be this... savage.
Are words useless? Is strength all that matters? It's so sad...

What's sad is that you say this and still didn't get any yes I am holding a grudge!

Why would the Grado Empire do this? To what end would they start a war?

That... I cannot say, your Highness.

Don't worry, Seth. I won't give in to sorrow. Let's get moving. I'm not broken, and I won't stop until I'm reunited with my father and brother. I won't stop until I see Renais restored.

No, it's Seth's who's brok- oh. Sorry, I was still thinking about gameplay.

That was like 4 minutes longer than it usually takes, because I'd be pressing start to skip all the dialogue :ssh:

That wasn't much gameplay, but it's a bunch of images so I'm going to wrap it up here. First, though, let's get a preview of the next chapter! That's a nice map. I hope it doesn't get infested with a bunch of-

-red... units... oh, goddammit.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 14, 2018

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Eirika, you are supposed to have a good speed growth. Please at least get speed when you level up.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

quote:

No strength!

No speed!

No defence!

Eirika why

As is tradition.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is awfully convenient, what with Lord Hippoman's PC problems (:()

I'm so here for this. Go girl power!

I'm not sure what a scripting mod actually does. Is it only text changes, so Eirika isn't holding the idiot ball that much? Or is there more, do we get different units and such? Were there any stat changes? Not that the female units were noticeably worse than the male ones in this game, iirc.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Fire Emblem LP

A Sacred Stones LP

Vilkacis.

Yes. Yes. This is good.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I've played this hack. I appreciate it in concept, but I found it underwhelming. I'm going to assume you won't be able to resist adding your own touches

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Torrannor posted:

I'm so here for this. Go girl power!

I'm not sure what a scripting mod actually does. Is it only text changes, so Eirika isn't holding the idiot ball that much? Or is there more, do we get different units and such? Were there any stat changes? Not that the female units were noticeably worse than the male ones in this game, iirc.

It is text changes IIRC. I talked about Restoration Queen once on a stream, my ultimate takeaway was while it deserved to exist (I am of the opinion that all hacks deserve to exist of course) and the authors were clearly earnest, I felt as if the actual quality was low, both from a writing standpoint and from a technical standpoint (There's a lot of text skipping.)

Still, It'll be good for someone to give it a comprehensive look, or at least the Vilk look.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Yeeeah. I was actually going to ask if he'd mind if I showed this off in the thread, so we could compare them, but...

Torrannor posted:

The text is definitely changed, and the readme says there are "other small changes" but I'm not sure what those are, yet.

If I had made this, I'd definitely have equalized con between genders, but that may be beyond the scope and/or ability of the hackers.

Camel Pimp posted:

I've played this hack. I appreciate it in concept, but I found it underwhelming.

Onmi posted:

I felt as if the actual quality was low, both from a writing standpoint and from a technical standpoint (There's a lot of text skipping.)

Ah, that doesn't sound too promising. And here I was hoping it'd be good. :sigh:

Well, at the very least I'll get to play a lot of Sacred Stones and maybe do some other things too.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

vilkacis posted:

The text is definitely changed, and the readme says there are "other small changes" but I'm not sure what those are, yet.

If I had made this, I'd definitely have equalized con between genders, but that may be beyond the scope and/or ability of the hackers.

More likely beyond scope than beyond ability, I'd guess. It's been a while since I've tried doing anything with FE hacking, but from what I remember of the old tools rewriting large chunks of script without making the formatting explode was way more of a complicated pain in the rear end than the five minutes in Nightmare a quick fix to the con system would take.

Also, one more voice for the chorus here, I played it, it wasn't a bad concept for a hack at its core, but it fumbled the execution a lot. Being primarily just dialogue rewrites didn't work all that well for this.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Restoration Queen sounds like the weirdest TV show. Like, Lily Savage doing DIY on Changing Rooms, or something.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Restoration Queen sounds like the weirdest TV show. Like, Lily Savage doing DIY on Changing Rooms, or something.

Restoration Queen is Eirika's title in the credits. But yes, it is rather silly

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Onmi posted:

Restoration Queen is Eirika's title in the credits. But yes, it is rather silly

But...

In Heroes, it's "Restoration Lady"...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Junpei posted:

But...

In Heroes, it's "Restoration Lady"...

Yes and Heroes has been inconsistent with officially released things before. In 8 it's Restoration Queen and Ephraim is Restoration King

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was somewhat joking, but thanks for clearing that up.

(In case anyone reading is wondering, Ephraim in Heroes is Restoration Lord.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Color me interested. I've never heard of this hack/rewrite, so I'm interested to see how it works out. Though I am a little bummed that there are apparently no gameplay tweaks, because like you mentioned, it would be cool for Lute not to have the Con of a literal random child. Still, game is good, looking forward to seeing where this goes!

vilkacis posted:

Yeeeah. I was actually going to ask if he'd mind if I showed this off in the thread, so we could compare them, but...

For the record, I wouldn't have minded! :v:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

So there are no gameplay tweaks at all? No changing the female mounted units Aid formula?

I don't know if it's a spoiler, but if it is, don't answer.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They probably rebrand after people spread lies about them. Disgusting.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Onmi posted:

Yes and Heroes has been inconsistent with officially released things before. In 8 it's Restoration Queen and Ephraim is Restoration King

Hey now, let’s be fair, the Wonder Twins were probably summoned mid-game so they hadn’t actually taken on the mantle of King and Queen yet. :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shiny777 posted:

More likely beyond scope than beyond ability, I'd guess. It's been a while since I've tried doing anything with FE hacking, but from what I remember of the old tools rewriting large chunks of script without making the formatting explode was way more of a complicated pain in the rear end than the five minutes in Nightmare a quick fix to the con system would take.

Well, I don't know them, so I can't really tell. But I do know a lot of people would run screaming at the sight of something like Nightmare :v:

:siren: Okay, so thread poll: If we're pretty sure RQ only changes the script, should I just do my own stat fiddling? I started making a "maybe don't screw over every female character in the game by weighing them down with iron weapons" rebalance-y kind of thing a while back, and since the text is separate, it looks like I could just import the Restoration Queen script into that.

I haven't actually playtested it yet, so, you know, potential hilarity there :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

vilkacis posted:

Well, I don't know them, so I can't really tell. But I do know a lot of people would run screaming at the sight of something like Nightmare :v:

:siren: Okay, so thread poll: If we're pretty sure RQ only changes the script, should I just do my own stat fiddling? I started making a "maybe don't screw over every female character in the game by weighing them down with iron weapons" rebalance-y kind of thing a while back, and since the text is separate, it looks like I could just import the Restoration Queen script into that.

I haven't actually playtested it yet, so, you know, potential hilarity there :v:

I'd be game for that.

Thinking about it gave me this image of making everyone into a female class fegirls style. Except Garcia keeps being a dude loaded with facial hair and so on. None of the portraits change.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Do it. DOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIT.

You must.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

vilkacis posted:

You ask this as if you didn't know the answer. As if you didn't know we loved what you did with FE6.

Go ahead, man. This is the girl version of the game, make the girls even better. Restore those Queens.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

As long as it doesn't touch the script, I say do it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I complained about the Con nonsense in LordHippoman's thread already. Do it!

But please don't feel compelled to do huge changes. Do as much as you like. Small, sensible changes are perfectly fine, especially since Sacred Stones has pretty good character stats and growth across the board imho.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well, in my defence I had just woken up, but I don't know why I expected anyone to object :v:

Then, I'll look into my gameplay changes and see what I can do with them.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Go ahead, man. This is the girl version of the game, make the girls even better. Restore those Queens.

What this guy said.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

2. Baguette

Here's a flashback for you!

That wasn't much gameplay, but it's a bunch of images so I'm going to wrap it up here. First, though, let's get a preview of the next chapter! That's a nice map. I hope it doesn't get infested with a bunch of-

-red... units... oh, goddammit.

Wasn't that thrilling?

I hope you think so, because these guys don't seem impressed.

What? So soon? We've had no time!

You've had like five minutes! What kind of weak-rear end army can't mobilize in five minutes?!

Milady, we lack the arms to defend this place. You must return to Castle Frelia.

I can't! Not yet. We haven't found Eirika and her companions yet.

In Soviet Rausten, Eirika and her companions find you.

wait poo poo I'm in the wrong country

Eirika is my friend, and she needs my help. I won't abandon her.
Oh, I know! Go and ask Father- ask King Hayden for more troops.

Yes, Your Highness!

Oh, she's fine. Sure, she has blood all over her, but it's not hers.

Mostly not hers.

I mean more of her blood is probably on the outside than inside, but she did kill three guys so they must have bled more than she did.

...okay maybe "fine" is an exaggeration. I wonder how good vulneraries are at patching up brain damage.

The generic soldier Tana was talking to is, presumably, the one who rides off on the horse. Meanwhile, the commander of the enemy forces...

...gets updated on the situation.

Hmph. They're tenacious, but they have no hope of stopping our advance.

What are your orders, sir?

Ha! Orders? You just stand here and watch. I'll crush them myself!

As you command, sir.

He's a commander after my own taste!

...ha, "taste", get it

because baguette

That crit was totally scripted. Boo this man!

"Baguette" no longer looks like a word.

I mean it's French so it wasn't much of one to begin with, but

anyway, he parks himself on the castle because we haven't seen enough loving rear end in a top hat knights on loving rear end in a top hat gates I didn't prevent Zephiel from genociding the human race in FE6 for this bullshit intsys

uh what was I saying

oh yes parks himself on the castle and his minions fan out to make themselves nice and exposed and easily pick off-able by a princess with a rapier and a raging hatred for all that lives- wait no I think I may be projecting.

Call off your forces and turn back, or you'll have me to deal with!

Brave, but you're a pegasus knight and he has armour. I don't have all day to sit here watching you double him for 0 damage and dodging his hits!

Is that so? And who might you be?

Who-? I am Tana, Princess of Frelia. I will not permit you to abuse my country any longer.

Frelia's royal brat, huh? How convenient...

Leave this castle immediately. If you harm me, I promise you, the might of all Frelia shall rain down upon your head.

Yes, I've heard how King Hayden dotes on his precious little daughter. Let's see how true that is. You'll make us a fine hostage, my dear. Seize the girl and lock her up!

No! Frelia will never be yours!

Nah, we've let them take one castle today, I'm not having any of this poo poo either.

Fortunately, we have people who can do something about it!

I see it. It seems like Grado's army has already reached Frelia. Princess, this place is perilous. We should bypass Mulan altogether and head straight to the castle.

But we can't just ignore this...

"And they're worth experience. I'm still level 2, Seth! Level 2, and I didn't get strength!"

You were there when Renais was invaded... You saw what I saw. You saw how the people suffered at the hands of Grado's soldiers. Homes were destroyed, possessions stolen, children kidnapped... Anyone who resisted was executed without question, without hesitation.

I didn't see any of that. And honestly, that doesn't so much sound as if Grado suddenly turned evil as it just kind of... was evil all along and it just now boiled over.

Seth agrees with me, because Seth is cool and good.

You must understand, Seth. I can't allow that to happen here. I don't want to see any more people harmed by Grado's atrocities.

All right, Your Highness. Perhaps we can retake Mulan. But, Princess, you must act with caution. Your people need you, too.

Of course, Seth. Come on! Let's go!

All right,

so part of "acting with caution" is to check this guy's range because as someone found out recently, spear vs sword = bad.

I park Eirika two tiles down from those trees.

The princess of the kingdom of Renais. She's elegant and kind.

I also remember that I haven't actually shown her stats, so I should probably get on that! It doesn't look as if the mod has changed anything here, so Eirika's Eirika, same as usual. She's uh. Myrm-y. Which isn't that great, to be honest. I mean Lyn was myrm-y as well, but at least she didn't have to contend with Mr. Personality running around with three times her strength!

This little thing helps, though, but we're almost a quarter of the way through it already... It, too, seems unaltered. From the comments in the thread, RQ is probably just script edits. But that means I'm free to edit the rest of the game without stepping on its toes...

A young commander of Renais. He's calm, composed, and skilled.

For contrast, these are Seth's stats. "Seth can solo the game" isn't just a joke or exaggeration, Seth can solo the game. I have seen it. There's one chapter that's really bad for it, but... most of the game is not much of a challenge for him, even on this difficulty. The most obnoxious part is making sure he's stocked with weapons, because 100 javelin uses won't cut it for some of the later maps, and keeping your lord from getting gibbed by some rando.

Of course, we'll be benching Seth as soon as they let us, because that's how I roll!

Ha ha! It really is my lucky day! Fame and fortune ride to meet me! Move on, you slugs! Bring that girl to me!

They try, I'll give them that!

It, uh, just doesn't go very well. Another level for Eirika, let's see it!

Eirika!!

...at least it has speed :sigh:

The only thing else that happens on the enemy phase is one more fighter moving, because I'm not in range of the soldier on the right. On our next turn, reinforcements! Blue ones! ...Don't get too used to that.

Aye, we have. Her Highness Princess Tana should be inside the castle.

But look - the countryside is crawling with Grado soldiers! Where's the castle guard? Has Mulan fallen? Are we too late?

Too tough to say from here. Princess Tana's in no danger if they want her as a bargaining tool. We men of the Eastern Watch will see her to safety.

Yes... Yes, of course. We mustn't give up. We must move. We must retake the castle. Then, we ride forth to Princess Eirika's aid.

I've stronger armor than you do. I'll take the lead. Watch my back.

:lol: no he won't, because

Franz can

do this to the soldier on his own,

and Eirika crits this motherfucker so hard it kills him and his entire family.

Next turn, we get the usual kind of reinforcements. They're no fun. But they are still worth experience.

...Seth, no touchy.

This guy has more speed than the soldiers. He's not much of a threat even to a level 1 Franz but, we want the boy to get some exp.

Which is why I was going to soften the fighter up with Eirika, but, you know, she can't not crit, so.

...I may have been on to something with the "raging hatred for everything that lives" bit.

Well, no matter; Franz at least gets the other guy.

It's perfectly safe, Baguette won't move off his cosy little gate :argh:

Seth yoinks Eirika again, so the remaining soldier won't go for her, because he would.

Gilliam is soloing those other guys.

With no other targets, the last soldier by the castle goes for Franz and promptly dies. Dang it Franz, couldn't you have squeezed four more exp out of that guy?

I was going to drop Eirika off with Seth, but then I remembered this.

Y-yes... and you as well, General. As long as you lead us, sir, the Knights of Renais cannot lose!

Franz ain't bullshitting.

Honestly Seth doesn't need the rest of those guys, they're just slowing him down.

Franz, you and I must work together in service of Princess Eirika. I want you to ride with us.

Sir! With honor, sir!

...though my Franz usually turns out really good so you'll probably be better than Seth in like. Six, seven maps?

Franz takes Eirika from Seth and sets her down next to the castle while Gilliam heads in to wipe out the stragglers. Two of them have WTA on him, but Gilliam is Gilliam and gils no fucks.

As you can clearly see.

Since Baguette is a knight on a gate (:argh:), the only one who can really damage him is Seth... unless we waste some more uses of Eirika's rapier.

So let's do that.

Well I don't take issue with this part, but...

...this could take a while.

WTA is no laughing matter, but Gilliam still has more hit than these guys.

Since Baguette refused to die like a good boy, Franz and Eirika chat it up while they wait for him to come to his senses.

Franz, you made it through unscathed...

Y-yes, Your Highness! I met up with Sir Gilliam of Frelia and explained the situation in Renais. He told me that Princess Tana was in danger as well, here at Mulan. We rode as swiftly as we could.

Tana is here? Franz, we must hurry!

Understood!

This look like hurrying to you?!

Gilliam cleans house and... gets the one stat he needs the most, so I can't even be mad about this.

An armored knight of Frelia. He's quiet yet dependable.

Speaking of, stats. Gil's an armour knight, armour knights armour knight, you know how it goes. 9 str and def is pretty good, 4 speed is kinda not. A tanky unit is good, but you can't live off just being tanky. Taking half the damage everyone else does isn't worth much when everything doubles you.

Gilliam is actually pretty good, as armours go, but I find he tends to get sidelined pretty quickly, as people who can double and have better movement start showing up. I've upped armour knight movement (for everybody) to 5, but I'm not sure how much it'll help.

An earnest and compassionate cavalier from Renais.

If you could see Seth like... ten years ago, he might look like this. Whether Franz's stats turns out good or bad, he still has that sweet, sweet cavalry movement and is probably worth using just for that - but as said, he usually does really well for me.

While I was showing that off, Eirika finally managed to slice the bread.

Okay now I'm mad.

Eirika!!

With the breadcrumbs swept off the gate, we seize.

Sir Gilliam... I'm sorry. I never meant to cause you such trouble.

Tana's portrait bugs me. Stop staring into my soul, Tana. It's crowded in there and the voices don't like company.

It was no trouble. I live to serve, Princess.

...Eirika?!? Is that really you?

Tana, what are you doing, so far from Castle Frelia?

I heard that Renais had fallen, and I was so worried... But I'm glad to see that you're safe... What about Ephraim? Is he well?

I wish I knew.

You haven't heard from him? Oh, I hope he's not been harmed... Come, we must go to Castle Frelia. My lord father may know something.

Thank you, Tana.

And then,

Alongside Princess Tana of Frelia, they ride to the Frelian capital.

a loving castle just appears on the world map! Witchcraft! Dark sorcery!!

You've no idea how I worried when I heard you were under attack at Border Mulan. You are not to leave again without my permission. Do you understand?

Don't be mad, Father. Look, I come bearing good news. Eirika! Come out now!

This exchange always makes me think she has Eirika hidden away somewhere. Or possibly in her pocket.

Ah, Eirika! It does my heart good to see you safe.

Thank you. I was able to escape the castle before Renais fell. But I'm not sure if my father...

Yes.
I... have received word of your father.

Your Highness? Please tell me. Is my father well?

...My friend King Fado... did not survive the fall of Renais castle.

...No, it cannot be...

Rest assured, Grado will be punished for its cowardly act. This is Frelia's promise.
Eirika, please stay here and rest. I cannot imagine how exhausted you must be.

King Hayden. You know of Prince Ephraim's disappearance, do you not?

Yes, we hear the prince and his men hound Grado at every turn. It's said that he's lead his forces into the empire itself. Reports suggest he's crossed the border and now fights in Renvall.

Yes. My pegasus knights bought this information at a great price. Even though Renais has fallen, he charges into the enemy's heart. He is truly Fado's son... What a valiant youth. I wish that I knew whether he unharmed, but I do not.

King Hayden, I thank you for your offer, but I cannot stay. I intend to ride to my brother's side with reinforcements.

I cannot allow it. I know how you feel, but this plan is suicide. I would be betraying Fado's memory if I allowed any harm to befall you. Stay here. Rest and mourn. Leave this war to the warriors.

I know you mean well, Your Majesty. However, I have lost my father, and my twin brother is in peril. My brother, he is a part of me... I cannot rest here in peace while he risks his life.

No. Renais has no more army. Grado's forces decimated it. I wish that Frelia could provide you with support, with soldiers, but... My son, Innes, is on his way to meet the empire's forces. We cannot spare a single brigade. Your own retinue of knights cannot possibly face Grado alone. Are you so determined to go?

Yes.
...With apologies.

...As resolute as your father, eh? :canada: What am I to do in the face of such foolhardy determination?
Vanessa.

Moulder.

Gilliam.

I expect each of you to provide aid and support for her brother.

They will, no doubt, prove themselves quite valuable on your journey. Remember, you are venturing behind enemy lines. You will need supplies. I will have a supply convoy readied to carry your weapons and provisions. It will remain at your side, no matter how far afield you venture.

King Hayden, I... Thank you.

No, save your thanks for your return... with your brother, Prince Ephraim.

Yes, Your Highness!

That was a whole lot of words,

and more importantly right now, a fair bit of money! Money is important. If we don't have any, we won't be able to replace our broken weapons! And we can't fight without weapons.

I can't guess how you must feel, but it's just too dangerous. What would happen if you were captured by Grado's soldiers?

Don't be ridiculous, that hasn't been a thing since Thracia.

Thank you for your concern, Tana. But I have no choice. I must go.

Eirika... Oh, why is this happening? What's gone wrong with the world?

Tana...

Why would Grado invade? Emperor Vigarde is a man of peace. His people adore him. And you and Ephraim are friends with Prince Lyon, are you not? What could be behind this madness? Why is this happening...

I have no answers for you, Tana. I don't want to believe it, but the reality is that we are at war. I have already lost so much. If I do nothing, I may lose my brother, as well. This is why I have to fight. It's the only answer I have.

And with that,

the chapter is over.

(This chapter is unchanged because I already had it written up. Gameplay changes are coming next chapter! Exciting!!)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
only use girls

kill all the boys

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

But

Moulder :(

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Erika was probably waiting at the door for her cue to enter.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

well

yes

but that is sensible and boring, so I don't like to imagine that.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Am I the only one who thinks Seth is good but not that good? Admittedly, I've never soloed the game with him, so maybe that'd change my mind, but I usually do take him through to endgame. While he's relevant for pretty much the whole game he's not all that good by the end; he's usually there just to be a support bot for Eirika by that point. (Also it might go without saying but you should probably not a-rank Eirika with a man in this run. Not in the spirit of the hack.) I do think he is the best Jeigen-type character in the series, I pretty much never take Jeigens to endgame (not even Titania, sorry) but he does tend to have speed issues later down the line.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 14, 2018

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

vilkacis posted:

Speaking of, stats. Gil's an armour knight, armour knights armour knight, you know how it goes. 9 str and def is pretty good, 4 speed is kinda not. A tanky unit is good, but you can't live off just being tanky. Taking half the damage everyone else does isn't worth much when everything doubles you.

The last time I played FE8 on an actual cart, I had a Gilliam that capped speed (iirc he has a 20% speed growth). I don't know if he got that on his own or if I had fed him a speed wing to do it, but. Dodge tank generals are the most :stare: thing ever.

Naturally, he got my Boots that run.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

vilkacis posted:

But

Can be class changed into cleric. He will be very pretty and very mustached.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

vilkacis posted:

But

Natasha's just as good! Just a few changes and you won't even miss him

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Camel Pimp posted:

(Also it might go without saying but you should probably not a-rank Eirika with a man in this run. Not in the spirit of the hack.)

Speaking of this, since it sounds like the hack probably didn't add any new supports, here's all the existing female/female supports for potential gayness:

Eirika/Larachel
Eirika/Tana
Vanessa/Syrenedisgusting
Vanessa/Lute
Neimi/Amelia
Tethys/Marisa
Marisa/Tana
Syrene/Tana

That is... not a lot. Natasha and Myrrh have no supports with other girls. Of those, Eirika/Tana seems like a no-brainer, and Eirika/Larachel makes sense just so Eirika actually has options. Beyond that, uhh... Vanessa/Lute, I guess? I can't see Neimi as gay without a complete character rewrite, and none of the other pairs really seem like they'd have the right kind of chemistry to me, though admittedly I don't think I've read any of their vanilla supports.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vilkacis posted:

But

i wont give you grief if you change his sprite to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Artur is pretty enough to fit right among the girls!

A girls only run would probably force us to forgo using Amelia as an Armor/General.