Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Look on the bright side, your Garcia is turning out well (though I still mourn for that lost level up) and somehow Neimi of all people is conspiring to outperform like half your roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Lord will ever be as useless as Eliwood always is for me. He's never leveled well enough to fight the Dragon without it being able to kill him immediately no matter what I did.

Lyn and Hector always poo poo on everything though

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My Eliwoods are usually decent, it's just that yeah, he hangs out with Lyn and Hector who always come out as absolutely gently caress off ridiculous.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I once had an Eliwood who didn't get any strength in 10 levels ups.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
A moment of silence for Artix's HHM Hector.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BrightWing posted:

A moment of silence for Artix's HHM Hector.

One sec, I'm pouring one out for his HHM Lyn.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
One time I had a Hector who didn't grow strength in 15 levels and I wasn't even mad. In most of the fire emblem games the lord is irrelevant.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Let me tell you about that one time he ended the game with 10 move, unaided by a leg ring or the Dain scroll...

(Leif is good gently caress the haters)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually like Leif, but his role in your team is weird. He's a utility lord throughout. Magic is rare as crap early on (Light sword, fire sword, and 1 mage) and supports in that game are automatic and his support list is really huge to the point of acting as a pseudo-charisma. He's reasonably durable but is unlikely to kill anyone on counterattacks alone, so sometimes he's good at just plugging a chokepoint and avoiding the 'getting attacked by 8 people' due to that.

Now he's not amazing, but he's not useless, and he's no Roy.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Roy is a fine character for many of the reasons listed for Leif, he's just hampered by his incredibly late promotion. A buddy of mine recently did a playthrough of it and Roy was a bit of dead weight in the middle if his support buddies weren't around, but could otherwise take out weakened enemies, or set up things for others. Roy's also a decent bait for enemies with high crit because he can get decent crit evade with his sky high luck growth and support options.

That being said, Int Sys learned their lesson and moved promotions up a bit so lords can do things.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Roy is a fine character for many of the reasons listed for Leif, he's just hampered by his incredibly late promotion. A buddy of mine recently did a playthrough of it and Roy was a bit of dead weight in the middle if his support buddies weren't around, but could otherwise take out weakened enemies, or set up things for others. Roy's also a decent bait for enemies with high crit because he can get decent crit evade with his sky high luck growth and support options.

That being said, Int Sys learned their lesson and moved promotions up a bit so lords can do things.

I once made a very quick done hack that shifted Roy's promotion time to its natural point (Chapter 16/x, the end of Etruria) and it basically fixes his level pacing.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

One sec, I'm pouring one out for his HHM Lyn.

5 def. Truly, Anna giveth and Anna taketh away. :allears:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Eh, the defense isn't the point. She shouldn't be getting hit in the first place.

That 13 str tho...

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It really is a terrible Lyn, since Artix had given her an energy ring too. -4 str/def.... though that's not great and an exhibit of the myrmidon problem really.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Keldulas posted:

It really is a terrible Lyn, since Artix had given her an energy ring too. -4 str/def.... though that's not great and an exhibit of the myrmidon problem really.

That's nothing to my Stream Ike. My Stream Ike took both Energy rings to wind up at 20 Strength at 20/20. meaning he was -8 on attack.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That sounds like my PoR Astrid, who had 10 strength after promotion and 15 at 20/20. -8 too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Look, the true main characters were clearly Fedule's Mist and Cake Attack's Marty. 'Cause there ain't no party like the Marty Party because the Marty Party don't stop.

Seriously, how can anyone forget this amazing teamup-that-never-happened

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just realized my avatar is from the days of the edited sprites avatars spawned by vilkacis making the nomadcrit-mist edit back in mid-2012.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 21, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

What did you say to that horse?!

I think one or two of those are actually still around.

And this kind of stuff is why we always need more FE threads!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

8. Ephraim is just really good

Time for the first and only side quest in the entire game!

...I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have you actually play both Eirika and Ephraim's paths and have the latter as side chapters, since SS is pretty short as is... Though on the other hand, that makes it easier to replay.

This sure is a map, I'm sure we'll never see it again.

...and that sure is a throne...

...and a giant grease ball seated on a wyvern seated on the throne.

What's the situation, Tirado? You have captured Ephraim, haven't you?

If you're going to make impossible wishes, you could at least ask for a pony.

No. Prince Ephraim still fights in the lands north of Renvall.

And why is that? What has happened to all those mercenaries you hired?

"I told them to fight Ephraim and they all suddenly realized that they had long vacations coming up, it's the damndest thing..."

They've proven to be less then adequate.
Ephraim's clever. His band strikes quickly and then vanishes into the woods. We more than double his numbers, and yet he uses the terrain wisely to fight us. He has no army – just a small force of knights loyal to Renais. Prince Ephraim's reputation as a superb strategist would seem to be well earned.

I'm glad it wasn't me in control of Ephraim up to this point, or I'd feel as if I'd been insulted...

Hmm... How interesting. The lad's beginning to whet my appetite. Tirado...Bring him to me as quickly as you can, will you?

:gonk:

...It wouldn't surprise me if Valter has developed a taste for human flesh...

As you command. Just grant me an army, and I'll bring him down swiftly.

What sort of plan do you have?

Master, I am your loyal adjutant, and you are my general. For you, my lord, I have many plans ready and waiting.

I love this exchange, it's just the most nothing words you can imagine.

Really? Well then, let me hear them.

Very well. First, you and I will leave this fort and head north. Then, we will find Prince Ephraim in his leafy playpen.

But he's not easily found, is he?

Do not worry. At Prince Ephraim's side is... a friend, shall we say. When the time is right, our friend will move on our behalf...

Gee! That sounds bad.

I sure hope we never meet that person...

It's not looking good. Our weapons are in bad shape, and we're running low on food. We can probably restock at a nearby village, but–

No, that's not an option. We're in enemy territory. I will not involve innocents if I can avoid it.

Yeah, I knew you'd say that. I mean, it's because of stuff like that that we've stuck with you so far. But eventually, we do need to face reality. What are we going to do?

Word of mouth has it that the invasion of Renais has progressed quite far. I've heard that the capital has fallen.

Hm... So soon... Still, my father is in the capital, and he won't surrender easily.
Forde, Kyle. Our mission here is to harry the troops, to distract their eye. Hopefully, we'll be able to give my father and Eirika time to escape.
Kyle, have you heard anything from Orson? I sent him ahead to scout.

No word yet, and it's about time he returned...

Suddenly,

...not at all treacherous entirely trustworthy and reliable paladin!

I can confirm Grado presence at several points around our camp. Also, a large battalion of soldiers has been dispatched from Renvall. We shouldn't tarry here any longer than necessary...

I see.

Should we retreat back to the capital, Prince Ephraim?

No. We press onward. We're going to capture Renvall.

Wh-what?!?

"I said I'm Ephraim, motherfuckers!"

The cavaliers were too stunned by his persuasive abilities to protest, so here we are.

Um...Are you...sure you're quite sane, Prince Ephraim? We've an entire army after us, and you want to charge their stronghold?

Forde! Watch your tongue! This is our prince you're addressing!

Kyle, please, it's all right.
We've heard nothing from home,

This entire lead-up is just amazing. :allears:

Prince Ephraim...

Don't worry. I haven't lost all sense of self-preservation.
Renvall holds an important place in Grado's national defense. If we can get the upper hand and take control of it, then Grado will waste many valuable soldiers trying to take it back I hope our attack proves useful to my father and Eirika.

I understand what you're saying, but... can we do it with our current strength?

Every soldier in this area is trying to find us.

If the enemy thinks the same... then we may have our opening.

You have a point. I'm sure Renvall won't expect us to attack with these numbers.
Either way, we can't run forever. And we're running out of supplies. What've we got to lose? Shall we get ready to go?

Yes. If we don't move quickly, we may never get another chance.

Yes, sir!

Have fun storming the castle.

This is Zonta. He is present on this map. And nowhere else.

To arms! Prince Ephraim's circled around and brought the fight to us! If we capture the prince here, we can line our pockets with gold! Do you understand? We'll be rich!

What I'm trying to get across is that he's a generic boss and we're going to murder him!

We have to get to him first, though.

Your wounds still haven't healed from that last battle, have they? Don't push yourself.

"Also you're already promoted and temporary and won't gain any experience from this anyway."

If we're defeated, you must return to Frelia. Understood?

Understood...

Let's go! Kyle! Forde!

Aw yeah, I'm pumped!

The prince of Renais. He is a man of great honor and bravery.

Ephraim is Good. Ephraim is So loving Good. Those stats may seem reasonable at a glance, but keep in mind those are his stats at level four. Look at this.

This is Eirika. Buffed Eirika. At twice Ephraim's level.

Also, Ephraim gets this. Reginleif compares to the rapier about the same way Ephraim compares to Eirika. It's heavier and has less hit, neither of which matters, in exchange for three more might, or nine more when used on anything it's effective against (so a decent chunk of the enemies on this map!)

Ephraim is so loving good.

He is joined by...

A steadfast and honorable cavalier in sworn service to Renais.

...Kyle, the strong and tanky Cav...

A cavalier of Renais. He is skilled, but reckless. He's Franz's brother.

...and Forde, the kinda average-ish cav.

Franz is probably going to outperform both of them.

They are both down 1 speed but up 1 skill, same as Franz. I looked it up and it turns out the male cav base speed is actually two points higher than the female cav's, so it got averaged to 4.

A cavalier of Renais. He's a devoted husband and a serene and quiet man.

Last and least, we have our not at all treacherous entirely trustworthy and reliable paladin. His stats are pretty good, even comparable to un-nerfed Seth. I didn't see the need to nerf him since he's only around on this map anyway,

Orson is down 1 str and res, up 2 skl, and up four speed (?!). Wait, what...?

...okay so apparently I just gave manadins the same base speed as the girls, which is, yes, four points higher at 11. I put it back down to 9, which is right between the original numbers.

Kyle is the only one of the lot who thought to bring a javelin. Or perhaps, more charitably, the only one who didn't break all his javelins before now.

Forde looks like Franz, but with a different palette. How exciting!

Yeech. I mean I know the steel lance is heavy and all, but that's not a good look.

Maybe we'll have Ephraim have a go at this guy instead.

Oh yes, that was a good decision. Ephraimcopter right out the gate! Not bad.

What's bad is that Kyle misses the soldier.

Obviously, Orson is relegated to ferrybot for most of the map.

That 3 range makes these guys a lot more obnoxious... well, that's kind of the point.

Forde also draws in the other archer from here.

Kyle doesn't miss this, at least.

uh maybe not

We'll get rid of the knight,

...take the key,

...and have Orson open the door. I want those chests.

But I also want that silver sword in pristine condition! Got it, Orson? Pristine.

Using Reginleif on generic soldiers is honestly more of a waste since it's unique, but eh. It does the job really well.

...oh.

Orson got smacked with an axe. Well deserved. He also missed the fighter, and he can't even attempt to counter this.

Vulneraries! Now Forde can take a hit from both the archer and shaman.

And Kyle should be able to handle this side.

I don't want to give Orson kills, but I also don't want to get set on fire more than I have to, so

Orson!!

well he lands the second hit at least.

Ephraim takes on the fighter. I'd rather risk shaky hit rates than scratch up the Reginleif...

Forde dodges the magic! That's good.

Still takes an arrow he can't counter, though.

And after several 70ish% misses, he lands both javelins on the mage. That's one worry out of my hair!

Speaking of hair, that fighter gave Ephraim a haircut. An unpleasantly deep one. I had to bust out Reginleif to double him, and needed it, because he missed the first shot.

Orson gets to looting. I'm going to need this.

We're going through the starting vulneraries alarmingly quickly.

Kyle cleans up the left side and :qq:

Last guy around the starting area. Charge!

...Kyle, you go first.

No reason.

Got the killer lance!

This guy has been charging up the corridor to get at us.

Kyle, you know your duty!

Eeeeexcellent.

Dang it Forde you need more strength!

And accuracy!!

Kyle softens the fighter at close range instead, so Ephraim can finish for

why

Looks like a good place to park a paladin...

Oh, so it's you using up all my good rngs! You dastard!

Ephraim busts out an elixir. First one of the run! He draws the cavalier (and oneshots him, because he's Ephraim and he has Reginleif).

Poke!

Forde, as the only person in this group who hasn't been a huge disappointment, got to kill the archer. That's how you do it!

Elixir #2.

And another vulnerary for good measure.

I haven't made a lot of changes to the maps. One thing I did change, though, is the position of this cavalier. He used to be two steps to the right. Now, it's a little harder to just draw in one of them alone.

I mean, you still can, obviously.

Kyle failed to do poo poo to this knight, so out comes the can opener. Ephraim hits C lances for this! ...I never get around to giving him the killer lance.

Kyle gets to pull the soldier.

Come on, Kyle, redeem yourse-

Goddammit Kyle!

Give me that!

See this poo poo, Kyle?!

This is how you do it! Repeat after me!

I did the math, Ephraim can tank all three of these guys even if everything hits.

The cavs will have their hands full with this soldier. Elixir #3!

Away!

You too!

Oh, you just hosed up.

Forde and Kyle... don't do quite as well. Elixir #4!

Kyle does manage to hit something and actually gets a good level for it, though.

Ephraim whiffs a 78.

I didn't bother to make a special monk class for Artur, all the monks just have floof now.

It's better this way.

This is also good! Ephraim will take two points of damage next time.

Or he would, except I rescued him and had Forde take the javelin because he's at full health. Pretty good!

Time to take out this obnoxious little poo poo!

And make no mistake: he is an obnoxious little poo poo!

:argh:

WOULD YOU loving

Elixir #5.

Finally!

Don't forget this guy! He is a guy who exists!! He has magic!

We'll need the last elixir before taking him on.

This fighter isn't a problem.

The next one proves a little more problematic...

...but Ephraim drew in the mage and doubled him so that's good.

Can opener, go!

People opener, go!

...weirdly defensive level, go...

Cavs will draw the soldiers, Ephraim won't get attacked here.

The gently caress, Kyle!

The gently caress, Forde!!

All right, don't mess this up this tim-

The gently caress, Kyle!

Let us never speak of that again.

Anyway, see that archer tucked away in the corner?

He has an elixir.

I have no healing left at this point.

I mean I could Orson the rest of the map, but.

Kyle you son of a motherless dog

Once we finally stop loving missing, Orson gets to play bait.

Ephraim. Don't you loving dare.

Thank you.

This is the state of my party.

I'll have Ephraim take out the last shaman.

Didn't even need the elixir!

The leader of a mercenary band working in the pay of Tirado.

Zonta won'ta stand a chance. He comes with a steel blade that tanks his speed 5.

Imbecile! You'll learn the error of your ways!

This is entirely safe. So safe, in fact, that they both miss!

I feel somehow compelled to strip Orson of all his possessions

because he's, you know, wounded and shouldn't carry a heavy load

(and also because he's the zodiac killer)

Several rounds of whiffing later...

Several rounds of whiffing later,

I let Ephraim kill Zonta.

You did better than Forde. Congrats.

This took 29 turns.

Argh.

You were brilliant, Prince Ephraim! What a plan! What a battle!

I estimate at least half of the enemy troops are in the field.
We took the castle, but we don't have the manpower to hold it in a siege. There's no point in lingering here. Let's continue on to Grado Keep.

Enter: Forde.

I took a look around the castle perimeter... We're surrounded.

What?

Grado's sent reinforcements? So quickly...?

What should we do?

We must escape!

Hmm, we seem to be lacking a not at all treacherous entirely trustworthy and reliable paladin!

We've no shortage of slime, though.

You've earned your reputation. I must say, I quite admire your work. I take it you're the leader of this pack – the misguided Prince Ephraim.

The hell he's misguided! Don't blame that cavalcade of fuckups on me. This game has true hit! I should not be missing that many 70+ attacks.

I am.

I'm General Valter, the Moonstone of Grado's Imperial Army. Catching up to you has caused me no small amount of trouble. We've reduced your wretched home of Renais to ruin, and yet... you and your little band of bravos continue to be a thorn in our side. But that all ends here.

Tell me, how did you know I would attack Renvall?

Ha ha... Patience. You'll have your answer soon enough. Now, be good lads, and drop your weapons, will you?

Listen to me, Ephraim. You're a smart man. You know it's futile to fight me. You cannot win. You cannot escape. Accept the reality of your situation, and surrender to me.

Surrender?

Heh heh heh... That's right. If you do, I'll let you live.
I hold your life in the palm of my hand. Do not test my good humor. Now, come over here, bend your knee, and beg for your life. Show me how Renais dogs grovel.

What?

You said your name was Valter, didn't you? Well, I'm sorry, Valter, but I don't have time to waste playing games with you. So, we're going to knock you louts about a bit and then make our way out of here.

Fool... Have you gone mad? Do you truly believe you can fight your way past my wyvern knights?

Kyle, Forde. Are you ready?

My life has been yours since the moment I took my chivalric vows.

What idiotic wretches you are... Prepare yourselves to be destroyed utterly!

Ephraim, motherfuckers!

Next, we go back to a lord with...

...stats like these...

:negative:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Ephraim is a monster and deserves better caps because the poor boy rams into all of them somewhere around 20/5. My favorite thing about him is that he's so ridiculous, so overpowered, that if he had 30's for caps across the board, he would, on average, hit the Strength, Skill, and Speed caps every single time.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I think Ephraim's caps are the same as Eliwood, but slightly worse in resistance or defense or something. This is a problem since Ephraim is spear locked while Eliwood has spears and swords. Maybe his caps are to let Eirika outshine him at the very end? She pretty much has Lyn's caps but she's mounted and can't use bows.

Edit: Went at looked it up, Eliwood has a bit more res at cap than Ephraim, Eirika has a bit more res than Lyn at cap. That's the only difference in their stat caps. That's.... a thing.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 21, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I think Ephraim's caps are the same as Eliwood, but slightly worse in resistance or defense or something. This is a problem since Ephraim is spear locked while Eliwood has spears and swords. Maybe his caps are to let Eirika outshine him at the very end? She pretty much has Lyn's caps but she's mounted and can't use bows.

Edit: Went at looked it up, Eliwood has a bit more res at cap than Ephraim, Eirika has a bit more res than Lyn at cap. That's the only difference in their stat caps. That's.... a thing.
"this is a problem" it's not though

Like yeah, stat caps and swords go to Eliwood; then you look at average stats per level and Ephraim is significantly ahead of Eliwood on almost everything at basically every level. If you grind to 20/20 for whatever reason, Eliwood has a grand total of +1 resistance over Ephraim and is worse in literally ever other stat. Ephraim starts with more con and the Reginleif to boot. Also neither of them even come close to hitting their res cap unless you get absurdly lucky

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What did you do to the RNG to get those bad levels, and those misses? Perhaps it's punishment for complaining about Eirika's stat gains.

The RNG relented on bad levels (for Ephraim at least), because of the fluffy monk hair, which is absolutely fabulous.

I like that archers are a real nuisance now, this is a very good change.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the chapter go that wrong. It’s designed to be deceptively simple

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Wow, that many 70-80 true hit misses caused a hilarious amount of attrition on you. Add on the fact that every archer generally gets at least 1 shot off free of any javelin consequences and I can see how you used up that much healing. Truth be told though I think given all that you needed Orson to do more AS destroying Steel Lance attacks and to remember to toss Ephraim the Killer Lance. Oh well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As awesome as Reginlief is, the one downside is that you only get one copy of it for Ephraim to use, while Eirika can pick up a second Rapier in chapter 9 of her route. And vilk also showed why I usually don't go for Kyle and Forde in my runs: they either really disappoint in levels, or some combination of Franz, Amelia, Seth and Duessel do well enough to relegate Christmas Cavaliers Volume VIII to bench duty. Which is a shame because the two have some decent supports, but alas, good support conversations do not make up for lovely levels nor do they make up for other units doing their job much better.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Hey, if you hadn't needed to sacrifice those Elixirs to the RNGod, would you have been able to keep them to the next map? Because I remember those things being real expensive.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

booksnake posted:

Hey, if you hadn't needed to sacrifice those Elixirs to the RNGod, would you have been able to keep them to the next map? Because I remember those things being real expensive.
Anything that's in Ephraim, Forde and Kyle's inventory carries over to when they join up with Eirika's party, with the same amount of item/weapon uses as when you finish Chapter 5x. It's why vilk was so fixated on making sure Orson's Silver Sword didn't get used up during the map. That's a free Silver weapon for Eirika/Joshua/Franz/Seth (depending on how the former 3's weapon ranks turn out by the time the two groups reunite) to use right away when the paths split off. The only way Colm's able to use a Silver Sword at this point is by cheat codes bumping up his weapon rank to B, for the record.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Artix posted:

Ephraim is a monster and deserves better caps because the poor boy rams into all of them somewhere around 20/5.

I think Ephraim is more than good enough already without having all 30 caps. If anything, if you wanted anything resembling balance, he'd need to be nerfed so he doesn't crash straight into his caps five minutes after promotion.

Torrannor posted:

What did you do to the RNG to get those bad levels, and those misses? Perhaps it's punishment for complaining about Eirika's stat gains.

Well if the rng wants me to complain less, it's got a very strange way to show it :argh:

quote:

I like that archers are a real nuisance now, this is a very good change.

That's what I was hoping for!

Keldulas posted:

Truth be told though I think given all that you needed Orson to do more AS destroying Steel Lance attacks and to remember to toss Ephraim the Killer Lance. Oh well.

What, and let him have chip experience? Never! :colbert:

Giving Ephraim or... hell, anyone the killer lance would probably have helped, though it'd still have left the other two free to miss their 70-80%s.

AradoBalanga posted:

As awesome as Reginlief is, the one downside is that you only get one copy of it for Ephraim to use, while Eirika can pick up a second Rapier in chapter 9 of her route.

You still get 40 uses out of it, though, and Ephraim needs to bust it out much less than Eirika needs the rapier to do anything useful. If you're somewhat careful with it, Reginleif will last you a long time. And you can always Hammererernene it later.

quote:

but alas, good support conversations do not make up for lovely levels nor do they make up for other units doing their job much better.

Something like +3 damage and +15 hit/crit from a good support does kind of make up for lovely levels though :v:

booksnake posted:

Oh yes, you keep everything that's not on Orson when the map ends. On normal, you can easily waltz into the next map with three full stacks of elixirs.

And, yeah, they cost I want to say 3k per 3-use stack.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You know Orson's bad news because he's another early prepromote character seemingly given to you on a silver platter. In a game where you'd be forgiven for thinking that Seth is a Jeigan, all your alarm bells should be going off after getting two of them.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Shitenshi posted:

You know Orson's bad news because he's another early prepromote character seemingly given to you on a silver platter. In a game where you'd be forgiven for thinking that Seth is a Jeigan, all your alarm bells should be going off after getting two of them.

Clearly. Seth is going to be turned into stone. Those bastards.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ah, the FE LP Curse.

"Behold, bullshit RNG and bad levels!"

Every loving time.

Because there's almost always one God Unit that just sucks everything in. Like Mist.

I'll never get over Mist getting over 20 strength in both games. The littlest murder cleric.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
It's times like that when you get angry that you *can't* just give her all of Ike's stuff and make *her* the super cool god hero of the story! It would be a lot of fun to, I dunno, choose your "final lord" at the end of a story, given who turned out well.

Charlett fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 22, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If you're curious as to a discussion on RNG, I do recommend you check out this video, it's pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNFURLFsd2E

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

You get him on a completely different team, though. I don't think "each team has a Jeigan" is much of a warning sign, even if they end up joining up later.

Camel Pimp posted:

Clearly. Seth is going to be turned into stone. Those bastards.

We're like 10 maps away from that map, thanks gently caress.

Shei-kun posted:

Because there's almost always one God Unit that just sucks everything in. Like Mist.

I'm not so secretly hoping for God Neimi. :shobon:

Charlett posted:

It's times like that when you get angry that you *can't* just give her all of Ike's stuff

You can totally give her five iron swords though :v:

I liked his rant fading out at the end of the video.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

9. Yes, I get the halberd

Welcome back to Eirika's side of things and oh boy! There's all sorts of things that can go wrong with this one.

First of all though, supplies! There's an armoury that sells steel weapons in Serafew, as well as this which sells some new staves. ...after buying the weapons I want, I really can't afford any, though. I decided to hold on to the secret book anyway, because I don't need the torch staff and the Restore (status heal) is probably not worth it either at this point.

Passing through Serafew, the group crosses into the Grado Empire. From here forward, there is no doubt that they are walking through hostile territory. In hopes of avoiding unnecessary trouble, Eirika and company head for a sparsely populated region of Grado. However, it is too late. Their movements are already being tracked.

And we don't even have any incredibly trustworthy paladins with us-

seth can i talk to you for a moment

More like... victims of fog of war!! Oh man I'm so clever and funny.

You have ascertained Eirika's whereabouts, have you not?

I have. I sent some of our men to follow the princess as she fled Serafew. They tell me Eirika and her friends will be coming this way shortly. Our ambush is ready and waiting. There's no way they can escape. Like rats in a sack, as they say. Heh heh heh...

I don't think anyone actually says that.

Very good... Won't that wretched Valter be delighted. Now about this Princess Eirika... I hear she's quite a spirited. They say her paladin withstood Valter's lance, and her sword the attack of bandits... Tell me, Novala, are you certain you can handle this assignment?

Don't worry. Everything is under control. I've brought along a certain something from Renais. It will negate whatever futile resistance they offer. Ha ha ha...

Heh heh heh... Pray it goes as you say.
Very well. Do what you must. I must return to the capital.

Will you not stay and see how the Princess struggles against her fate?

Unlike two other layabouts I know, I do not have such time to waste. I have much to do for our master. A mountain of tasks awaits me. My time is far too precious to waste on the likes of that royal whelp. Trifles such at these are best left in the hands of servants... such as you.

Y-yes, of course...
Then... travel well.

You should have watched. You might have learned something. I will capture the princess, and I will replace you at our master's side. You will stew in regret, and I will enjoy every moment.

Somehow I don't think that's going to go quite as smoothly as you think! I mean you barely even have a face. You're like 80% npc!

This is what a proper player character looks like.

Novala just bamfs in all casually with a green unit in tow.

Unfortunately, none of the playable characters will take advantage of the fact that he's right within swording range.

Accept your fate. You have nowhere to flee!

What?! Who are you? And where... where did you come from?

You're as quick as I'd heard... And you're even wearing your bracelet. I suppose we should begin there. Would you surrender your lovely little trinket?

My bracelet... Why do you want it?

His Majesty desires it. That's reason enough. Once I present it to him, he will make me a general, and I will be famous.
Come, hand it over. Do it quickly, and I'll leave you alive.

Her Highness will do no such thing.

Of course not.

Obedience will save you pain.
You came all this way to aid Prince Ephraim, have you not? A fool's errand. Ephraim fell before the empire's might. As we speak he wastes away in a cell in Renvall, meekly awaiting his execution.

My brother?! You lie! A pitiful worm like you could never defeat my brother!

Bah. Protest all you like. It does not change the truth. Ephraim has lost, and it was Grado that defeated him!

You're not going to acquiesce, are you? Very well. Bring me the child.

Ah!

Look familiar? He's a citizen of your precious Renais. Now give me the bracelet! Do it, or the child dies!

No, please...
You win. But I must have your word the child will suffer no harm.

Princess, wait. That bracelet–

Whatever hidden value it holds, it's not worth a child's life. Forgive me, Seth.

(There's a fade here, but it fades back to the same scene. I'm not sure why they did it like that.)

Next, your weapons. Take them off and hand them over.

No. Surrendering our weapons would be tantamount to suicide. You demand too much of us.

I see years of peace and idleness have not dulled the wits of all Renais's knights.
Well then, my hostage has no more use to me, does he? Ah, such a waste.
Wait a moment... I've just had a delicious idea. Have you heard of the giant spiders prowling about this region? They'd appreciate a nice, hot meal, wouldn't you agree?

This guy is so generically evil I can't even dislike him. It's like... Yeah, you sure are a villain we'll kill at the end of the map and never think about again. I guarantee I'll have forgotten his name like 5 minutes after this update goes up.

You can't-

Nooo!

These fools will curse the day they were born to Renais!

Why... why would you... How can you do such a thing?

This is WAR! There are no rules here! In war, you can do anything! Anything! You curs of Renais have lost! Your idiotic ravings mean nothing...

Wha... what?!

I...
We, the people of Renais, have long honored our allegiance with the Grado Empire. And you invaded without warning. You ravaged our land. You killed my father... Even then, I told myself, I must not hate Grado or her people. If I gave in to my hate, the bond between our lands would be lost forever. I refused to hate. Instead, I lived for the day our nations would know peace again. But... So long as this is Grado's true face... If you can extinguish Renais without pity, without remorse... While this is the case, then there is no room in my heart for forgiveness.

Impudent noble! Do you expect your words to save your countrymen? They will not. Your beloved people will all die, as will you.

But not right now! That would be uh. Too much work.

(Also Seth is right there and you'd better believe he'd silver lance this nerd through the everything the moment they give me control.)

Novala warps across the map instead. That's a lot of warp/rescue uses! I don't know what you're doing, but stop it and give it to me instead, I could find much better use for it!

If you must curse someone, curse your dear princess.

Help, someone!

Cry! Scream! HAHAHAHAHA!

He's blowing even more warp uses. Taunting me.

He will die for that.

We're going to be fine. Someone will rescue us.

What, you don't trust me?!

Wellllll now.

Seth is out again, because of course he is. I put in Joshua instead but honestly I should just have gone with Artur. Anyone with 1-2 range, really.

As always,

you can scout out the pre-battle setup by moving a thief around the deployment slots! There's a soldier over there.

Let's reveal some more.

Ponies up top...

...infantry in the middle, and I don't know what's in the south and don't care either.

There is a village here, and I could have gone for it - take Seth instead of Joshua, for instance, and he'd easily be able to get there in time - but all it has is an antitoxin. I already have a full stack I stole several chapters back. gently caress that village.

(Maybe I should put something of actual value down there... maybe a restore staff? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?)

We're going to ignore it and have everybody head north around the mountains.

I had to have Franz draw this guy, because he'd pretty dangerous! He has 11 speed and would double Gilliam. I got quite enough of people doubling Gilliam in chapter 5, thank you very much.

This guy is a lot worse.

:cawg:

And parking Colm here drew in the archer.

Nicely done.

Now we could charge in a lot deeper on this turn, but the issue is this guy.

He doesn't look like much,

...but he drops this if we can kill him without letting him switch to it.

As far as I know, enemies will always go for the weapon they deal the most damage with. So there's no circumstance under which he won't go for the halberd over the iron axe. (Maybe if he could double with it but not the halberd? But that'd be a pretty bad situation to be in, too.)

Neimi took a shot at the archer over the mountains, Natasha patches her up from the counter. Magic!

I did this so I'd be in position to have Colm take the bolt sword but...

...he hasn't gained a single point of loving strength and can't actually do anything with it!

He won't be able to on the next round either!

I like killing archers with peg knights. It's delicious.

And so is this holy gently caress! Vanessa, please teach the rest of the party how you did that!

Garcia takes out a cav, and doesn't gain a level, but does get B rank in axes!

The rapier is so good. I mean the Reginleif is better, but still.

Joshua status: along for the ride.

The third cav charges in.

He takes a hit, but the troubadour for whatever reason doesn't heal him. Too bad! Now she'll never get the chance. Garcia lands a 66 and gets an elixir.

Gil lands a 62.

It's... defensive.

And Neimi gets the kill.

Colm applies another torch. I want that extended vision on at all times.

In position for the next turn! If I were any good, I'd have rescued Neimi closer to the front, but as we've established I am not good so alas.

Next turn, three cavaliers charge in from right behind your starting position. They're nothing special, but still bothersome, simply by being hard mode enemies with 7 move.

Sweet numbers.

Neimi with the kill!

Neimi with the beautiful str/spd level! She even gets a bow rank on top of it, too.

Now for the fighter. Colm doesn't crit, but he does soften the guy up a bit.

If I had been more clever with Neimi, she could have shot this guy instead of the lancer, and I'd probably be in a better position (though possibly without that beautiful level). Franz isn't strong enough to finish the job with his iron sword, and he can't actually use the steel one to make up for it.

And this doesn't look very reliable.

...well, that's what we have Vanessa for, I suppose.

She doesn't whiff a 80%!

But Colm's kinda exposed here. His levels have been a bit trash... he needs to dodge something. I swear I pulled this off much better last time I played this chapter!

Ow.

And I don't need to reset!

...I do waste a lot of this sword, though...

Franz drew in this mage. That 4% crit chance haunts me.

Look at this! Beautiful!

14 strength!

Some more chipping, and a kill for Neimi.

The problem here is these three guys all cover the same tiles, so stepping in to hit the mage is a little dicey.

But we have range!

...not very accurate range.

But Franz connects. Good!

Colm torches again.

This time he reveals the boss!

An underling serving General Riev. He is a cowardly and ambitious schemer.

Novala is nothing special, although it's worth noting that he, like everybody, has enough con not to be weighed down by his Flux.

The cavs, naturally, chase you down after spawning. One of them is in range to hit us, but everybody in range can take it.

Down south, Garcia draws in some fools who can't kill him. They can inconvenience, though! ...that Restore might have been nice to have after all, but Natasha gets exp just for healing so...

You can't kill the Great Garcia!

That looks really really uncomfortable but she'll be fine.

Oh no! Moulder! I thought you were on my side!

...well you kind of suck in this timeline so never mind.

Want that sight range!

...And Colm's support so Neimi has a hit rate.

Grrr... Must I do everything myself!?

Yes.

Now perish!

No 1% crit for Neimi :qq:

We're all set to... probably kill Novala on this turn. I could try to farm the rest of the map for exp, but this is a game with infinite experience so if I really need it, I can always do some random encounters or something. But that doesn't mean I won't squeeze as much as I can out of the people who happen to be in range!

Eirika gets a kill and a heal.

Garcia gets a kill.

Lute gets some chip exp. Can't all be winners.

It's pretty likely that she'll nail this, but I have two people within javelin range in case she misses-

But that works too!

Oh, but you are ever so wrong about that!

Behold! Glory!

Vanessa is so good!

And we've finished the map and saved the civilians! We're all so good!

(...Except Colm. He rather blows.)

(And also Novala used up his warp staff or whatever so we can't even loot a single-use one off his corpse, which also blows.)

You're safe now.

I was so scared... So very, very scared.

If you would like, please take this... And thank you again.

This was an Orion's Bolt, the promotion item for literally only Neimi, originally.

Of course, that part only happens if you save the two of them - though curiously, I've been told you do not necessarily need to save the male npc! But I don't think he's ever going to die by himself unless you like... arrange for it by having Vanessa rescue the others out of the way and leave him behind, or something.

This, however, occurs regardless.

He ordered to keep me silent until the proper time arrived. However, with all that has happened, with Emperor Vigarde's actions... I feel it imperative that I tell you everything, Princess Eirika. Are you ready to hear the secret of the bracelet you wear?

I am...

As you know, Your Highness... Renais houses one of the legendary Sacred Stones.

Of course. It's in the temple. It's supposed to be a ward against evil.

Yes, the true stone is. But the stone in the temple is nothing but a forgery. The real Sacred Stone of Renais lies beneath the royal castle. Guarding it is a powerful seal, an infinitely complex lock of sorts.

What? Is this true?

Yes. King Fado confided in me himself.
The Sacred Stoned banished evil long ago and possess power beyond our ken. The ancient monarchs of Renais felt it prudent to seal ours away. They feared its power could be misused. They thought to remove the temptation. The keys to break the seal were hidden, too... Forged into bracelets...
...The very ones that you and your brother, Prince Ephraim, wear.

Our bracelets? How could Father keep this a secret from me for so long?

"They must know nothing of the bracelets. Tell them only if some great peril strikes." These were King Fado's exact orders. Prince Ephraim knows nothing of the bracelets' secret, either.
The king told me this out of fear that something might happen to him. So that, when the time came, the two of you would learn the truth.

The bracelets have such meaning...

Yes. And we are the only living souls who know the secret of the Stone of Renais. At least, that's what I was given to believe. And yet...

Yet the Grado army has made it clear that they want me only for my bracelet.

Yes, quite clear at that... I don't know how, but Emperor Vigarde must have learned the secret somehow. And now, his troops pursue the bracelet, and we are no closer to knowing his motives.

He would use the bracelets to unlock the Sacred Stone and destroy it in secret...

Perhaps.

Which means that my brother... and his bracelet...

If he's been captured, they may have the bracelet already, and he may be-

Ephraim...

Princess, we must take Novala's words to be true. We must hurry to Prince Ephraim. The enemy soldiers who fled the battle will have reported our location by now. If the prince is being held prisoner at Renvall... I fear they might execute him once they learn of our approach.

You're right. We've no time to waste.

But that...

...will have to wait until next time.

This sure looks familiar...

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 27, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Good Vanessa is a nice fit for the Restoration Queen mod. So is Good Neimi.

That boss must have had a rewarp staff, a rescue staff and a normal warp staff. I'm super envious, why don't we get any of that? Also, why are there no rewarp staffs after Thracia introduced them? :(

Rief would also totally wipe the floor with Novala, the latter has a massively inflated sense of self worth. Also, light beats dark magic!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Good Vanessa is a nice fit for the Restoration Queen mod. So is Good Neimi.

Indeed! ...I wouldn't mind if Vanessa shared some of that str with Eirika ,though...

quote:

Also, why are there no rewarp staffs after Thracia introduced them? :(

Kaga took them with him when he left :(

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Torrannor posted:

Also, why are there no rewarp staffs after Thracia introduced them? :(

There are totally Rewarp staffs in Radiant Dawn.

For the enemies only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Classic Colm, undergoing mitosis in the middle of the battlefield again.

Incidentally, those surprise horses from the west are what ended the practice run I did of this map before my equipment got zapped. I'm glad this game doesn't do the DS game Hard Mode thing of having reinforcements move on the turn they show up, but having them spawn in the fog can be just about as tricky.