Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Couple of family rifles - we have a 1640-series Husqvarna in .30-06 that was my wife's grandfather's deer rifle, and an Inland M1 Carbine wearing a stock he modified in his basement in Brooklyn.

The 1640 is a pretty cool old gun but I really want to rescope it (has some old Tasco 4x now) and I've been short on time lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Cyrano4747 posted:

8.15x46r

GIS it itís a funky looking round.

Huh... old style shallow taper.

When you get around to making some. If you need some help getting the cases made shoot me a message.

Also after some google fu NOE molds has the proper bullet print in their system from another guy who had a similar rifle.

It apparently uses a shoulder on the bullet to seat to the right depth properly.

*link to forum thread about that*
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?140509-Any-intrest-in-a-180gr-stop-ring-bullet-for-8-15x46r-32-40

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I have a Savage in .243 that I don't shoot much these days because when I got it I had access to a much longer range where I could blow up produce.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The first real gun I ever fired - the Remington 514, a single-shot .22 bolt action. My dad learned to shoot on it in the 1940s and he later taught me to shoot on it. I can't even remember the last time I shot it.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

8.15x46r

GIS it itís a funky looking round.

It's a 44-40 that's all grown up.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

infrared35 posted:

...Remington 514...can't even remember the last time I shot it.

Run the modified navy qual drill with it.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Run the modified navy qual drill with it.

Oh, poo poo, I think I've been called out.

This ought to be fun with my crappy eyesight, the terrible sights on that thing, the heavy trigger, and hard-to-work bolt.

Edit: Sort of fitting too, since my dad was a Navy man.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

XDM compact in 9mm. Bought it during the 2012 election in a panic as I couldn't find a G19 anywhere.

Shot it a handful of times in 2012 and 2013, then finally sold/shipped it out yesterday.

I didn't hate it, but it was just a boring gun that was never as enjoyable as the G19 I wish was available back then.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Don't have many firearms at all ,but the one of the 3 that I do have that I've never fired is my Swede Mauser Carbine 94/14.

Beautiful little rifle I could see using as a hunting weapon at some point in the future - and no, I sure as hell wouldn't "Bubba," it but instead get one of those mounts that swap out the rear sight for a picatinny rail and put a long-eye relief scope on 'er.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Don't have many firearms at all ,but the one of the 3 that I do have that I've never fired is my Swede Mauser Carbine 94/14.

Beautiful little rifle I could see using as a hunting weapon at some point in the future - and no, I sure as hell wouldn't "Bubba," it but instead get one of those mounts that swap out the rear sight for a picatinny rail and put a long-eye relief scope on 'er.

Can I contact you off forums about this rifle?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I got a first gen CZ Kadet Kit I can't use because my new CZ-85 came with a match hammer, so three out of every four rounds is a light strike. I put a factory mainspring back in it, but that only got it firing half of the time. I'm holding on to it for the off chance I find someone selling a beat up CZ-75 frame or something that I can import cheaply.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

mikerock posted:

Can I contact you off forums about this rifle?

Sure. mineplow at yahoo dot com.

Dammit_Carl! fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 19, 2018

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Up until recently I had more guns that I hadn't shot than ones I had, although that had to do more with laziness about going to the range than avoidance of shooting specific guns. I've been able to get to the range a couple of times recently to at least function test a lot of these, but some of the ones I have are probably going to remain unfired.

Probably the only "collector" gun I have is my SG553 P. I bought it when they bottomed out in price thinking it'd be the most attainable that a Swiss-made SG55x rifle would ever be. Turns out I was right, although with JDI regularly importing them now it's less of a worry about them going away forever (and other variants are now available, too). I can't see myself shooting it, though, because I stubbornly refuse to play the NFA game out of principle and shooting a pistol-configured rifle seems kinda janky.

I also have a Norinco/IAC 1887 that I bought on a whim a while ago simply because I always wanted one after seeing Terminator 2. I enjoyed it being a bit of a project in that the internals are rough from the factory so you can take it apart and clean it up a bit (vs just buying a nicer Chiappa or Cimarron for a lot more money). It's clearly a "blast at bottles/cans" type gun, though, and I don't have anywhere around where I can do that, so it has just sat around since I bought it.

I also have a Glock 20 SF that I bought because of a really good deal combined with a passing interest in the novelty of 10mm (plus Deus Ex). I'm probably going to trade it to a friend for a Ruger .357, though, if it doesn't tickle me in the near future.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

I've got a Mossberg M44(b) that I've rarely ever shot. Used it once when I went to NY but its sat on the rack since. I should shoot it more. It's so neat with it's like, 7 different front sight posts.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

I'm glad people are sharing their red headed step gun stories. There's a pretty good variety of stuff and not just that old rohm I found a pawn shop for $20.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

I got a first gen CZ Kadet Kit I can't use because my new CZ-85 came with a match hammer, so three out of every four rounds is a light strike. I put a factory mainspring back in it, but that only got it firing half of the time. I'm holding on to it for the off chance I find someone selling a beat up CZ-75 frame or something that I can import cheaply.

I bought a 22lr conversion for my Glock 26. Shot it once. Haven't touched the thing since.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

MrTuffPaws posted:

I bought a 22lr conversion for my Glock 26. Shot it once. Haven't touched the thing since.

The Kadet kit is actually good though. There's a reason it costs as much as a real gun. I wouldn't mind a dedicated Kadet with an SA only trigger, send it off to be threaded and it's the perfect plinker.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

I have one of those CZ...lets see

this

Anyway. I found it when I moved. I think I bought it from a friend who fired it once and was scared and sold it to me for almost nothing. I apparently put it in one of my gun junk drawers and promptly forgot about it.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I have one of those CZ...lets see

this

Am I one of the only people with mutant hands who actually enjoy shooting these?

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

I've a H&R model 999 that is similarly tossed in the Mrs.' excess makeup drawer - she says she forgets its there and has a little "oh," moment each time she opens that drawer.

Should replace it with a rubber snake and see what happens.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

That sounds like a good time to buy one of those giant black Desert Eagle dildos.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That sounds like a good time to buy one of those giant black Desert Eagle dildos.

Afraid she'd use it tbh, but not a bad idea.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

The Kadet kit is actually good though. There's a reason it costs as much as a real gun. I wouldn't mind a dedicated Kadet with an SA only trigger, send it off to be threaded and it's the perfect plinker.

When I bought my CZ75 at a local pawn shop a couple years ago, they had a Kadet on a frame I picked up at the same time. Traded out the guts for a SAO trigger and CGW race hammer, and some fiber optic target sights, and itís a fantastic shooter now.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MrTuffPaws posted:

Oh?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

When I bought my CZ75 at a local pawn shop a couple years ago, they had a Kadet on a frame I picked up at the same time. Traded out the guts for a SAO trigger and CGW race hammer, and some fiber optic target sights, and it’s a fantastic shooter now.

Do you remember if you changed any of the springs out, specifically the hammer
spring?

I modified my own 75B with the full CGW package minus the trigger, which is a flat, two-way adjustable dealie. The Kadet seems neat, I just worry about light strikes with .22. I kinda like the trigger the way it is with an 11.5 lb. spring.

Now that I think of it, it was one of your posts that got me interested in what can be done with a CZ75. That is why I ask you specifically. Cheers!

e: Whoops, thought this was the CZ thread.

No forgotten gats right now, but I remember an FIE .38 revolver my mother had years ago. Thing is, she had forgotten about it it in her 500 sqft. apartment. Found it when I flipped the couch over to find a rattle which turned out to be $4- something in change. Must have fallen in through a hole under the cushions and gotten stuck between the frame and the springs of that couch.

It did not take long to figure out why it had been lost and not found. What a piece of poo poo. A trigger like mixing concrete with a shovel, every single screw would work it's way out in one cylinder, and the cylinder retention pin would also walk out. To reload it you had to remove that pin and yank the whole cylinder out.

She didn't remember what it cost, which mean it must have been really cheap. Whatever, Larry's Pistol and Pawn gave me $40 on a 91/59 for it, which was the first gun that was really mine.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 26, 2018

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

shalafi4 posted:

Am I one of the only people with mutant hands who actually enjoy shooting these?

I have one. It's fun on the indoor range. Usually brings an RSO running after the first couple rounds.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

I have one. It's fun on the indoor range. Usually brings an RSO running after the first couple rounds.

From the fireball or hitting people 2~4 lanes over with brass? (I've had both)

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Almost a year now since my Beretta 76 turned into a bag-of-gun. It's still a bag-of-gun, but at least it's been sitting on a gunsmith's shelf since, uh, March? I legit forgot about it until a couple of days ago, so when I remembered it I immediately called to ask what's going on there. Sourcing the broken bits is evidently kind of a nightmare, which is a shame, because it's a lovely little plinker, is what it is.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

shalafi4 posted:

From the fireball or hitting people 2~4 lanes over with brass? (I've had both)

Usually "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SHOOT?!?" based on the loudness. I regret not buying one of the compensated barrels back in the 90's. That's probably mini Y-comp loud.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

My .45s (M&Ps), my shotguns, my J frame. I've shot the J frame a decent amount so I know it works, and that's enough for me... the .45s are just spendy to shoot a lot of.

I am pretty sure I drunkenly bought a po surp Mossberg 500 on GB for like $130 or something. I forget when that was, but close to 6m ago I'd say. Haven't shot it yet. I kinda want to replace some of the small parts first anyway, as I'm pretty sure the retaining plate for the safety just, like, fell out.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

madeintaipei posted:

spring?

I modified my own 75B with the full CGW package minus the trigger, which is a flat, two-way adjustable dealie. The Kadet seems neat, I just worry about light strikes with .22. I kinda like the trigger the way it is with an 11.5 lb. spring.

Now that I think of it, it was one of your posts that got me interested in what can be done with a CZ75. That is why I ask you specifically. Cheers!

I donít specifically recall changing the springs out, but itís been a while? I got two SAO triggers from CZ Customs, and two of the CGW race hammer, and I think maybe the sears that go with it? Whatever came in the kit with the hammer, since I know didnít just buy the hammers alone. I havenít had any problems with light strikes on the Kadet, and itís been several years since I swapped Ďem out.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

Usually "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SHOOT?!?" based on the loudness. I regret not buying one of the compensated barrels back in the 90's. That's probably mini Y-comp loud.

The other fun one with my cz52. Was at a shooting match and the judge did the timing usually stood to the right and back a little.

uhh sir, you're not going to want to stand there.

Oh I'll be fine cases go that way (points forward where anything modern would go)

*starts to object*

just go ahead and start (in a kind of snippy tone)

It's the middle of summer and he's wearing a loose shirt that's tucked into his belt.

just to be an extra bit of an rear end I tipped my pistol a bit past vertical... managed to put two cases down his shirt and one stuck in his hair.

next round he stood behind me.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

spring?

For what it's worth, one of the first CZ 75s that I owned was an SAO-converted CZ 75B with a pretty light trigger (CZ custom trigger and hammer, can't remember any other details), and I had very frequent light strikes with a Kadet kit on it. You'll probably be alright, though, as long as you don't try to get the trigger down to "breath on it" weight. This thing was probably around 2 lbs.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

shalafi4 posted:

The other fun one with my cz52. Was at a shooting match and the judge did the timing usually stood to the right and back a little.

uhh sir, you're not going to want to stand there.

Oh I'll be fine cases go that way (points forward where anything modern would go)

*starts to object*

just go ahead and start (in a kind of snippy tone)

It's the middle of summer and he's wearing a loose shirt that's tucked into his belt.

just to be an extra bit of an rear end I tipped my pistol a bit past vertical... managed to put two cases down his shirt and one stuck in his hair.

next round he stood behind me.

I had a neat half-circle cut on my nose from an ejected 7.62x25 case. Skipped off my eye protection and caught me on the side of the schnozzola.

Last weekend my Glock 17 put a hot casing in the back of my collar. I tried to get it out and it dropped down my (tucked-in) shirt into my underwear. Good times...

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I've got an old 20 gauge Cooey 84.

It was my dad's. He's the one that never shot the drat thing. He owned it for probably 40 years. Not sure why he kept it, but I figured maybe he thought he'd give it to one of his kids or something? I'm the only gun fruit in the family, so he gave it to me when I got my license. It was my first gun, and I shot a bunch of trap with it, but having only a 26 inch barrel, and no bead on it (at the time), I didn't hit much.
It sits in the back of my cabinet and I take it out a few times a year, but its plain jane-edness doesn't get noticed and I mostly take my over unders and side x sides out to the trap range.

Maybe I'll take it out this weekend.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

I bought a lovely beat up .50 caliber muzzle loader at a pawnshop on a whim. I need to buy a bunch of accessories for it to make it worth shooting, but I don't want to spend the money.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

I was given an old Marlin 55G 12ga. shotgun about 6 or 7 years ago that I've never shot. It's in great condition but a 28" barreled, bolt-action, 3 round box magazine fed shotgun is just loving odd as hell. It's got the adjustable Marlin Micro Choke too. I should buy a box of shells and give it a whirl but I just don't really care enough to. I prefer pistol shooting when I do find time to go to a range and it's kind of an ungainly bastard.

I haven't sold it because of sentimental reasons and also it makes an interesting conversation piece.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

I've owned a Vector V93 for over 2 years and have yet to shoot it. It just sits disassembled due to California's stupid AWB poo poo.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The Dregs posted:

I bought a lovely beat up .50 caliber muzzle loader at a pawnshop on a whim. I need to buy a bunch of accessories for it to make it worth shooting, but I don't want to spend the money.

What all do you need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

infrared35 posted:

What all do you need?

All the supplies...shot, powder, that stuff. Plus the sight is broke off and there's no ramrod or whatever you call it.

• Locked thread