Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Can they get me for planning to murder people for the purge? Like conspiracy for murder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Only seen the first one but blurb as it was about to begin mentioned exemptions/immunity for high ranking politicians, so you couldn’t try and wipe out the cabinet or whatever, and I vaguely recall a mention of certain weapons being illegal, so no ABC wmd poo poo. Might be wrong though.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Sentinel Red posted:

Only seen the first one but blurb as it was about to begin mentioned exemptions/immunity for high ranking politicians, so you couldn’t try and wipe out the cabinet or whatever, and I vaguely recall a mention of certain weapons being illegal, so no ABC wmd poo poo. Might be wrong though.

3rd one they took away those so they could kill a politician

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

alpaca diseases posted:

Why didn’t he purge her after

She’s a nice girl and everyone likes her.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Pawn 17 posted:

Who cleans up all the bodies the day after?

They have a crew hired for that. I know technically nothing is illegal during the Purge, but it's considered a huge faux pas to kill the cleanup crew.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The line for the bank of people depositing all of their money so it can’t get stolen would be enormous. The bank would have to close a couple of days early to clean out their vaults and move all the money to a safe location. This means every vendor will have to stop accepting cash a few days before that. So like a week of cash being useless.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

luchajones posted:

3rd one they took away those so they could kill a politician

Good, that's a bullshit exemption.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why dont a bunch of people just get together and be the police during the purge? theres no law against being the police if there is no law. im sure a lot more people would be interested in being a vigilantes for a day than killing their neighbors

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Yolomon Wayne posted:

are there any actual rules?

like, would a nuke be legal?

They had some vaugue rule about only allowing weapons up to a certain class. Idk if they ever elaborated on what the weapon classess were.

I felt like the later movies were basically a bad attempt at explaining the details and ramifications of the whole Purge night. The third movie was an okay balance of exposition, but you can tell they weren't expecting this concept to last as long as it has.

Coming in 2020, "Purge in Space!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the concept only came fully into being in the third film.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The upcoming mini series sounds cool :shobon:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Certain Govt officials are exempt from legally getting purged.

All Class 4 and lower weapons are legal during the purge.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm the guy that spends the night of the purge transporting animals across state lines

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

What would Mexico think if I went down to the border and just started shooting at them?

Could the purge start a war?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'd be the super hosed-up, edgy guy who does a ton of online shopping on Purge day but doesn't pay the sales tax. You don't understand the monster I keep at bay, and now he's finally free to play!

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

METAL GEAR?!

That's what I would do every year, add a little bit more to my Outer Heaven bullshit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

luchajones posted:

What would Mexico think if I went down to the border and just started shooting at them?

Could the purge start a war?

I think we've stumbled upon the only realistic way we could really get Mexico to pay for Trump's border wall. Guess we've got to start purging.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It should have been called "cheat day"

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016
I wonder what the situation is at the zoo during a Purge, they have an albino alligator I’ve had my eye on all year that would really make my menagerie “pop.”

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'm the guy who tears a bunch of warning labels off of mattresses the day after Purge and goes to super duper maximum jail for 150 years.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Rad-daddio posted:

I'm the guy who tears a bunch of warning labels off of mattresses the day after Purge and goes to super duper maximum jail for 150 years.

I'm the guy that makes thus joke for the third time.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've only seen the first and second one but the overall plot seems to be "it's all a ploy by the government illuminati to gently caress over the poors and do population control". So nothing is logical except the government needs a lot of people to die every year

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's depressing I get enough that irl

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

504 posted:

I'm the guy that makes thus joke for the third time.

It's not illegal to steal or repeat jokes during the Purge!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Purge: the Day After would probably be a much more entertaining movie than any of the real ones. I imagine it as a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

The Dregs posted:

Purge: the Day After would probably be a much more entertaining movie than any of the real ones. I imagine it as a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

So pretty much Viscera Cleanup Detail

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246900/Viscera_Cleanup_Detail/

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I mean, that's a cool game, but no.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's not illegal to steal or repeat jokes during the Purge!

P p p p p p PowerBook?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
In the very first movie a group of neighbours tries to murder an entire family but the family turns it around on them but doesn't kill them. So they just sit around until The Purge time expires and then lets them go with some mean glares

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zzulu posted:

I've only seen the first and second one but the overall plot seems to be "it's all a ploy by the government illuminati to gently caress over the poors and do population control". So nothing is logical except the government needs a lot of people to die every year

And pretty much everyone you'd actually want to purge is protected by the military/a shitload of bodyguards.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
In England everyone smokes in the pubs and barmaids serve you unmeasured spirits as we all watch tv without a licence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Collapsing Farts posted:

In the very first movie a group of neighbours tries to murder an entire family but the family turns it around on them but doesn't kill them. So they just sit around until The Purge time expires and then lets them go with some mean glares

Note that the neighbours are trying to murder the family because they took in a homeless disabled black veteran.

The Purge is basically an excuse for what they used to call pogroms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Note that the neighbours are trying to murder the family because they took in a homeless disabled black veteran.

The Purge is basically an excuse for what they used to call pogroms.

It was the gang with all the masks and trucks and poo poo that wanted to murder them for saving the black dude (although the neighbors did rat them out so I guess indirectly that's trying to kill them). The neighbors only came out later and killed the gang and then wanted to kill the family because they got rich off of selling them those security systems that the gang just proved didn't even work. So they were more like opportunistically trying to kill the neighbors after all the hard work had been done.

• Locked thread