Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Looks like aliens are invading again!

Good thing humanity has super heroes to protect us!

Unfortunately, our hero's job is to defeat these people. Oops.

But maybe, if he does so, he will finally get some meat.

Planet With is an anime television series by J.C.Staff adapting the newest manga by Satoshi Mizukami. (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Spirit Circle) If you've read his manga, you'd look forward to this.

It's streaming on Crunchyroll.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/planet-with

OP/ED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yAgRNT1WvQ

PS: Please no manga based spoilers in this thread. Thanks!

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So what's with the lack of meat in the MC's diet? It's clearly something relevant.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Also, something I haven't seen anybody mention - Crunchyroll has a simulpub going for the manga the show's based off. Running behind where the show (and the Japanese release) is obviously, since it only just started with one chapter uploaded, and the show's covering multiple chapters per episode, but there it is nonetheless.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well, cats are carnivorous, so maybe that has something to do with it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I loved how the old guy undermined the gravitas of his son. That was such great comedic timing.
When everyone left the room, I noticed that he was still in there. Then it cut to the two of them (plus the assistant) in there. He's still slowly drinking his tea. There must be some important matter, which only these people can know about... "Oi Son! Lend me another couple hundred bucks. I spent all my money at the steakhouse again."

I hope that the MCs lack of meat will never be explained and for some reason every piece of food he'll touch will turn out to be faux-meat.
For all we know, he never even tasted any meat.

Alternatively he'll betray everyone since the old guy invites him for steak. And honestly, that's the most noble cause there is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Julias posted:

Well, cats are carnivorous, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Not only that, but one of the most lethal animals in the world with the particular quirk we installed on them to kill without needing to kill. Instead we get a pacifist house cat dude that likes to see upskirts of figmas and dines on heads of lettuces.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
OP and ED are ok but I will skip them from now on. Supposedly Norio Wakamoto voices a dog in this, and based on Sensei's vocabulary and his last role I remember (a vaccuum cleaner in Nyaruko) I suspect it will amount to little more than "wau wau"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My random guess with the meat thing is that as the Pacifist faction of Nebula, they want to interfere with Earth lifeforms as little as possible, which includes not killing any animals for food.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

but plants are people too

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

that's loving racist dude

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
soooo this story seems to be a meditation on the nature of power. soya's old planet blew up from unchecked power, some of that power crossed over into our world, nebula wants to put a check on power in general

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's clearly a nuke analogy

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So the thread subtitle isn't soy vs. mankind?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

it's clearly a nuke analogy

Possibly an environmentalist angle too, but yeah mankind annihilating itself and the rest of the world with its own tech.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I feel this might be this seasons sleeper hit.

Some really interesting stuff so far. I like the angle of granting someone's deepest wish in order to take them out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought it's less granting wishes and more making you regret the path you're taking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cat girl maid said they wanted humans to choose a peaceful evolution while the other side wanted to make them do that, right? I think part of it is showing them what they want to see to make them stop fighting

the illusions also seemed to be trying to give them advice

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think we're both reaching the same conclusion with our theories but in different ways.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think it's mostly just a weaponized lotus dream.
That world just feels so right, that it takes a lot of determination to break free.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So the power of lesbian cruses wasn't enough to save the day? This anime challenges me in whole new ways.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

cat girl maid said they wanted humans to choose a peaceful evolution while the other side wanted to make them do that, right? I think part of it is showing them what they want to see to make them stop fighting

the illusions also seemed to be trying to give them advice

In one of the options the people willingly chose the path, in the other they are forced into it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In one of the options the people willingly chose the path, in the other they are forced into it.

It seems a bit more than that. A race which is "sealed" doesn't grow or change further, which seems different from what the pacifist faction want.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It seems a bit more than that. A race which is "sealed" doesn't grow or change further, which seems different from what the pacifist faction want.

Well yeah, they would probably be locked into a lotus eater machine. They cant really progress any further if they live in a dream world where you are always happy.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 22, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nezuya being a chuunibyo (is that what the term is?) that everyone clearly knows is one and think is a bit stupid because of it but likes anyway as he makes random poses and overly dramatically responds to everything around him is great. Also, Norio Wakamoto.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's going to turn out Souya's meat craving is actually an important plot point considering what happened to Sirius.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 22, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's going to eat the presidentdragon at the end isn't he?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So the sealing-faction sending the horriblecute invaders also provided the sentai team with their pendants to fight them, right? What's the deal with that? Is the secretary actually part of a third faction?
Sensei is also only interested in taking away those pendants, which speaks for the pendants being part of the sealing plan.

Also nice to see Samidare's TV debut.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Either the sealing faction is playing both sides or just the secretary is.

It's weird that the pacifist faction doesn't seem to question where humans got the dragon's power from.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I do find that team cat's vegetarianism fits in well with their peace theme. The same goes for the fact that the sealing-fraction fights by resolving their enemy's childhood trauma.

Sindai posted:

It's weird that the pacifist faction doesn't seem to question where humans got the dragon's power from.
To me the implication was, that both fractions already know how the dragon got there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Secretary is going to be a red herring IMO; more likely that Class Pres is somehow the sinister third party aligned with Norio.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 23, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the Secretary is aligned with the Dog, but she won't be the big bad - the old guy will, since his All-You-Can-Eat meat consumption seems to be diametrically opposed to Soya...

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Lurking Haro posted:

Also nice to see Samidare's TV debut.

Indeed. And Anima, too.

With episode 3, the anime has passed the manga. It will be interesting to see whether they diverge at all. So far they've been shot-for-shot in sync.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I was so happy to see his Samidare and Anima figures. His fascination for tilting them is another call-back as well.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jorenko posted:

Indeed. And Anima, too.

With episode 3, the anime has passed the manga. It will be interesting to see whether they diverge at all. So far they've been shot-for-shot in sync.

i'm scared :ohdear:

i've liked this so far, hopefully the manga author has a hand in the upcoming plot cause i'm worried it's gonna turn into trash now

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mizukami is doing the storyboards and series composition.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That's actually really interesting. I don't know of another case where the same person was responsible for both the manga and anime versions of a work to that degree.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I read somewhere that he's been storyboarding this on and off for the last 4 years.

I'm pretty confident it's going to be something special but the premise and execution are wacky enough that they basically need to prove themselves before I can totally buy in. I've been Basquash'd before.

Also CG mechs always put me off a bit but at least so far they've been decent.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 23, 2018

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
"Storyboard" is a bit of a misnomer here: what Mizukami drew were the rough drafts ("names" if you know mangaka lingo) for the manga and the animation studio just repurposed them as storyboards, skipping the usual steps of having someone turn the source material into a screenplay and then creating the storyboards from that. So if it seems like a shot-for-shot adaptation of the manga, it's because that's what they're quite literally doing :v:

The biggest divergence so far that I've noticed are the backgrounds, which makes sense since those are usually mostly absent at the draft stage. Take the scene in ep 2/ch 3 where Souya runs into Torai, for example: in the manga it's set in your standard park in the middle of the city, while in the anime it's on some kind of seaside jogging path next to a forest.

(Also, Mizukami drew the drafts in about 1 year, not 4)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, I misread. He's had the project in mind for a few years but only got on the 'storyboarding' in the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting how the latest episode did a lot to make Ginko and Sensei seem much friendlier and less threatening. Still not at all convinced that they're entirely trustworthy, tho.