Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Spiritus Nox posted:

Interesting how the latest episode did a lot to make Ginko and Sensei seem much friendlier and less threatening. Still not at all convinced that they're entirely trustworthy, tho.

Maybe it's to reflect our protagonist's changing perspective, since he realizes his interests are aligned with theirs for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Are the mechs based on the Chinese zodiac? They all seem to be there but then there's a bear in the mix that messes it up.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think so, maybe it's the ox or pig or something? Also not quite sure what the old man's robot is supposed to be.

On the official site they have this evolving character chart. I hope someone will translate these eventually.

http://planet-with.com/chart-1

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Weird that the dragon wasn't CGI, but I guess it's structurally much much simpler and easier to draw than the robots.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I was listening to a Good Place podcast, and the writer said that if the audience has an expectation of certain events, push them way ahead of schedule. I was not expecting Planet With to move so fast with its dragons and conquest schemes, but I'm completely down with this direction.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Benika is too cool for school, I like her moxy.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Nate RFB posted:

Secretary is going to be a red herring IMO; more likely that Class Pres is somehow the sinister third party aligned with Norio.

Her name is Takamagahara or the dwelling place of the gods. A little to auspicious to just be the class rep.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I liked the beer

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Miu saving her girlfriend with the power of love is something i will never tire of seeing in anime, especially when it's done good

Things sure are going fast though. Guess that's what happens when you are a single cour show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The show certainly keeps playing with our perception of various characters. Soya and pals have gone from being shady, borderline-villanous protagonists to pretty straightforwardly heroic characters, while the Paladins have become much more nuanced and, at least as far as the boss is concerned, sinister. Curious to see how many face-heel turns and vice versa we get before the show's finished.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm glad they didn't waste any more time pretending the boss was a good guy with that character design.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hmm, maybe we are seeing what the Sealing Faction's real game is. The boss's idea of True Peace sounds a lot like what they might be into...

Also lol at Nezuya failing his test in epic style.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dragon Faction- Violence can solve your problems

Love Faction- Communication and understanding can solve your problems

Sealing Faction- What problems, you never had problems.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Hmm, maybe we are seeing what the Sealing Faction's real game is. The boss's idea of True Peace sounds a lot like what they might be into...

Also lol at Nezuya failing his test in epic style.

I wonder if he's still got his power-vial-thingy after that failure.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Boy the audio design in this show is really bass heavy. When I watch it with a proper sub woofer it's almost a bit overbearing.

That said, I'm really digging how peak anime this whole thing is, it's absolutely surreal and ridiculous but the fact that the characters behave somewhat normally makes it all endearing.

I'm not too fond of the director having the trite "subjugate humanity in the name of peace" motivation but the flip side of that is finally having a character immediately go "hey, you know what? no." upon hearing it was refreshing.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i didnt realize jc staff was doing this. finally a show from them worth watching for me after like 15 years

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm adoring this show now. The comedic and dramatic timings are great, it moves along at a pleasant brisk pace, and it has juggled well between interesting plot progression and character moments. The bass heavy audio during impacts during fight scenes is unfortunately unbalanced.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe if this does well, dare we hope for a spirit circle anime?

...is it doing well?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe if this does well, dare we hope for a spirit circle anime?

...is it doing well?

Probably too early to say.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just based on general reactions, like the number of comments and ratings on the Crunchyroll videos, it doesn't seem to have a huge amount of viewers.

Edit: Just based on a brief skim of the number of ratings on episodes from over a week ago, it's actually one of the lowest watched series of the new season?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

Just based on general reactions, like the number of comments and ratings on the Crunchyroll videos, it doesn't seem to have a huge amount of viewers.

Edit: Just based on a brief skim of the number of ratings on episodes from over a week ago, it's actually one of the lowest watched series of the new season?

It's certainly not a show that screams "Mass-market appeal", what with the whole deliberately-surreal-and-silly-mask-over-a-deceptively-thoughtful-and-perceptive-character-musing thing it's doing. But an anime doesn't necessarily need to be a mass-market success to be a success on its own terms, so...grain of salt.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

After watching the first episode, I don't mind heavy bass to give weight to impacts, but it sounded like it was just way out of balance even for being intentionally loud.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the heavy bass kinda reminds of fights in the fate series

I appreciate the fast pace so far

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This has happened before, where more often than not the streaming site's encoding is at fault for the audio imbalance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sindai posted:

I'm glad they didn't waste any more time pretending the boss was a good guy with that character design.

Literally has dragons eyes lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the bass kind of worked in this episode because it only really came out when the dragon took over - I don’t remember nearly as much in previous Armour fights. It was a jarring, scary, hosed-up sound for a jarring, scary, hosed-up sequence.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the bass kind of worked in this episode because it only really came out when the dragon took over - I don’t remember nearly as much in previous Armour fights. It was a jarring, scary, hosed-up sound for a jarring, scary, hosed-up sequence.

I agree. I was surprised when the dragon roared and felt like it was sufficiently intimidating.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I agree. I was surprised when the dragon roared and felt like it was sufficiently intimidating.

Plus, this was the first fight where poo poo got properly real. That was a big chunk the dragon took out of the city, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a casualty or two next episode.

Be interesting what happens with the wimpy green-haired guy. This episode showed he’ll probably flip when the chips are down, but how long it’ll take remains an open question.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They said that area was already evacuated because of the cat spaceship.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They said that area was already evacuated because of the cat spaceship.

Sure, but on the other hand, this seems like the sort of show that pays attention to the consequences of its superpowered battles, so I’m not yet ruling out someone sneaking back to get something from their home and getting caught in the blast.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I initially put this show off because the PV didn't really sell me on it and the designs looked too goofy, but I'm glad I gave this a chance, it's been pretty good so far.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1024535310204465152

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I hope the judo girls become Soya's friends.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What is this, a series where characters notice things and use logic???!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well, that moved fast.

Honestly I'm loving this show just for the breakneck pacing of the story and the refusal to pad things out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that his reaction to the sudden strip is well...normal despite all the insanity around

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
best girl just stole and broke my heart

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well, that moved fast.

Honestly I'm loving this show just for the breakneck pacing of the story and the refusal to pad things out.

If there's one thing the author's writing is good at, it's cutting out a lot of the cruft and just skipping straight to the next plot beat. If Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was a more traditional battle shounen, it could easily have been 5 to 10 times its original length with all the padding and plodding that it entailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xelkelvos posted:

If there's one thing the author's writing is good at, it's cutting out a lot of the cruft and just skipping straight to the next plot beat. If Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was a more traditional battle shounen, it could easily have been 5 to 10 times its original length with all the padding and plodding that it entailed.

The author excels at depicting battles as a metaphor for internal conflict between people, and does a good job with not getting bogged with action to the point where it becomes boring. Every part of a fight has a purpose to it.