Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe it just didn't work out and turned out boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Making someone uncomfortable with a bait and switch is not the same as successfully pranking them and conning them into actively doing something themselves. So maybe it was just one of those skits, like the Roy Moore one, which yeah is a lot more boring since it lacks the implications that the person just blew their remaining base of support (like the Georgia guy did).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I dont think the show will top that Georgia dude

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Although there is something funny if it doesn't air, meaning if Palin hadn't made a fuss, no one would've known about it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It was possibly a boring interview. His stuff is always edited.

If he doesn’t feel like including it, fine. If the network doesn’t, not-so-fine. It’s like a modern day Andy Kauffman; you let the guy present what he wants and then accept him disappearing once everybody is too in on the joke.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cohen's accent and mannerism was almost like Ali G while doing the YouTube bit.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That last segment was incredible

Seems like all the really good segments are Erran Morad

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
As a well-crafted persona, I adore OMGWHIZBOYOMG. he's just so well done, so disarming, so believable as an actual YouTube personality. Very smart. Good episode overall, too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Probably the worst episode so far but still funny. That last segment.:eyepop:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sacha-baron-cohen-gets-trump-surrogate-corey-lewandowski-to-defend-neo-nazis

quote:

“With Charlottesville, where people attacked our president, why should the president pick a side between anti-fascists and fascists?” asked Baron Cohen’s Ruddick Jr.

“There is a place and a time to disagree with people—everywhere. You don’t have to agree with people. You have to respect them and you can’t be attacking them,” Lewandowski said of neo-Nazis.

“You can’t be attacking honest, fascist people that just want to express their right to start a genocide. That is their right!” fired back Baron Cohen.

“Look, I don’t know about that,” said Lewandowski, “but what I do know is this: If the law says that people can do a peaceful protest, then they should be allowed to do that.”

So it is a controversial opinion to say "absolutely not, pro-genocide people deserve no voice" now? jfc these assholes need to be removed from office yesterday.

quote:

Later on in the program, Baron Cohen’s Finnish OMGWhizzBoyOMG character targeted Sheriff David Clarke, another Trump surrogate with a questionable history. Sheriff Clarke largely didn’t take the bait but did at one point assume the perspective of a 1930s Nazi when discussing the topic of Antifa.

“So if you were the sheriff in the ’30s in Germany and the anti-fascists were marching, the Antifa were marching, what would you have done to stop them?” asked Baron Cohen.

“Well, you have to act aggressively,” said Sheriff Clarke, adding, “use force to disperse the crowd, arrest people, and take them to jail.”

:allears:

e: oh christ some NRA dude sucked Cohen's dildo on TV haha

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 13, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
One lesson the Nazis "taught" us. You can use liberal democracy and freedom of assembly to destroy liberal democracy and freedom of assembly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My mouth is big enough for two of these!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Show good, so what

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Lol at the Buffalo Solider bit. I thought he lost it at the 'General Robert Marley' thing but kept it going and it was great.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: oh christ some NRA dude sucked Cohen's dildo on TV haha

It's just incredible.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
this was the first episode where all but the last guy seemed like they were in on the joke

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
Yeah, that wasn't all that great.

The last bit was ok. The rest was edited to gently caress because no one was really biting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The bit with the photographer was pretty good though. I was :stare: the whole time he was taking pictures of giving starving kids sushi.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He’s not gonna top the Georgia rep.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

We prefer not to put the baby in the trash can

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why would they even air the Corey Liewendowski interview? It was a bore.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought the Rastafarian lobby stuff was pretty funny. I think that character works better annoying more centrist or liberal people though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought the Rastafarian lobby stuff was pretty funny. I think that character works better annoying more centrist or liberal people though.

Unless you're getting an environment with DNC or prestige journalism people with real power or influence it's a waste of time and honestly won't work. Hence the purpose of starting off with Bernie Sanders asking what the hell Truthbary is getting at. The Left isn't stupid.

These outright Nazis are.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I've been on twitter. There are plenty of people on the left who are indeed stupid.

I forget where I read this exactly, might have even been this thread, but the reason Erran works the best, is because people aren't just playing along with his act, they actively want to impress him. They don't just agree with the idea that Muslims are terrorists and could invade your office, they want to do well in his defense course. They follow his instructions because they want to be the hero in the situation.

In that sense, having someone like Dr. Nira, purportedly an esteemed professor traveling the nation to "heal the divide," speak to certain people on the left with his more outlandish ideas, like the super mosque or his sex-filled children's book, would produce similar results. At least, much better results than presenting them to people on the right, who are only going to look at him funny.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't feel like he's really landed many punches the last few episodes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OmegaBR posted:

I've been on twitter. There are plenty of people on the left who are indeed stupid.

I forget where I read this exactly, might have even been this thread, but the reason Erran works the best, is because people aren't just playing along with his act, they actively want to impress him. They don't just agree with the idea that Muslims are terrorists and could invade your office, they want to do well in his defense course. They follow his instructions because they want to be the hero in the situation.

In that sense, having someone like Dr. Nira, purportedly an esteemed professor traveling the nation to "heal the divide," speak to certain people on the left with his more outlandish ideas, like the super mosque or his sex-filled children's book, would produce similar results. At least, much better results than presenting them to people on the right, who are only going to look at him funny.

I agree with this, those people absolutely exist, they just might not be important enough. I think the right wing people SBC has been messing with have held some sort of status. Political office or celebrity. But its harder to find left wing people of similar status to do the same thing? Just a guess

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might have some better luck going after establishment Democrats being so eager to sell out to Republicans in the name of :decorum: or going after non-existent swing voters, or maybe TERFs, but for the most part there's absolutely nothing comparable to how primed Republicans are for fascism.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Last episode was a dud, too many punchlines are just cringeworthy gotchas that sound like a highschool student wrote them. Just doing bofa jokes would've been a massive improvement over "sooooo FASCIST folks just deserve a chance amirite amirite".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But this show is about who is America.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When have we ever just done the easy / right thing

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean since ww2.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The easy thing and the right thing are rarely the same and we pretty much all do the easy thing all of the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a bitchin jetski posted:

The last bit was ok. The rest was edited to gently caress because no one was really biting.

That douchey club promoter was 100% all in on the track and the guy. He was like the smarmy flip side to the cool art lady.

I wonder if the next episodes are gonna be straight fire or if he really did just put the best stuff in the first two eps and called it a day. I don't see any way in which the Palin interview wouldn't be funny. Every time she talks it's funny.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
She was scared enough to try and get out ahead of it before the premier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Turtlicious posted:

But this show is about who is America.

I Am America (And So Can You!)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Walrus posted:

Cohen's accent and mannerism was almost like Ali G while doing the YouTube bit.

What?
He's got a London accent when he's Ali G (sort of) and he's doing some weird Scandi accent as the Youtube guy. Although he said he was Finnish he doesn't really do a great job with that.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
he isnt doing any scandi accents, its just swedish chef noise making

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's the joke. That no one is calling him almost literally saying borkborkbork

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I thought the rap genius guy was going to be part of the bit at first until I realized that he actually was that big of a douche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I think my favorite running joke is that Erran Morad's rank keeps changing

• Locked thread